Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Blood Rights (House of Comarré, #1)
This topic is about Blood Rights
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived "Buddy Reads" > Blood Rights (Nov 28th)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 94) (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I know I shouldn't have bought another book, but I just couldn't help myself. To assuage my gulit (for not feeling guilty!), I was thinking that I should read this one soon, instead of letting it get lost in my TBR pile. I'm thinking of starting it sometime in November. Blood Rights is the first book in House of Comarre series. Flesh and Blood is book 2, and due to be released Nov 22nd.

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5551 comments Michelle, I'd be keen but wouldn't be able to do this til late November. Would that be ok? Or would you rather read it before the 2nd book becomes available?

message 3: by Michelle (last edited Oct 27, 2011 06:13AM) (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments CaroB wrote: "Michelle, I'd be keen but wouldn't be able to do this til late November. Would that be ok? Or would you rather read it before the 2nd book becomes available?"

No, that would be great. I feel my historical romance craving suddenly coming on anyway, so late November will work!

message 4: by Michelle (last edited Nov 02, 2011 07:55AM) (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Does Nov 28th work? Or, should we just put this buddy read on hold since we have so many others going?

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5551 comments no, don't put it on hold, it'll never happen then. Nov 28th is good for me.

message 6: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments CaroB wrote: "no, don't put it on hold, it'll never happen then. Nov 28th is good for me."

Great! I'm soooooooooo glad you said that because I swear this book has been calling me. I mean, really calling me! LOL!!!!

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 19862 comments You two are just trying to tempt me.

message 8: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "You two are just trying to tempt me."

The more the merrier!

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5551 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Great! I'm soooooooooo glad you said that because I swear this book has been calling me. I mean, real..."

Phew! I was hoping I hadn't been too bossy with my post above :-)

message 10: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments CaroB wrote: "✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Great! I'm soooooooooo glad you said that because I swear this book has been calling me. I mean, real..."

Phew! I was hoping I hadn't been too bossy with my post above :-)"

Not at all :)

message 11: by Michelle (last edited Nov 04, 2011 05:46PM) (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments [image error]

Blood Rights by Kristen Painter is Book 1 in the House of Comarre series.

GR Synopsis

The lacy gold mapped her entire body. A finely-wrought filigree of stars, vines, flowers, butterflies, ancient symbols and words ran from her feet, up her legs, over her narrow waist, spanned her chest and finished down her arms to the tips of her fingers.

Born into a life of secrets and service, Chrysabelle’s body bears the telltale marks of a comarré—a special race of humans bred to feed vampire nobility. When her patron is murdered, she becomes the prime suspect, which sends her running into the mortal world…and into the arms of Malkolm, an outcast vampire cursed to kill every being from whom he drinks.

Now Chrysabelle and Malkolm must work together to stop a plot to merge the mortal and supernatural worlds. If they fail, a chaos unlike anything anyone has ever seen will threaten to reign.

*Expect spoilers

message 12: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I have the paperback version. There's 35 chapters, and 392 pages not including the glossary at the back of the book.

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5551 comments I could do 5 chapters a day so we'd be finished in a week. Would that work for you?

message 14: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments CaroB wrote: "I could do 5 chapters a day so we'd be finished in a week. Would that work for you?"

That would work for me too :)

message 15: by Midu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Midu Hadi | 1684 comments I'm in!

message 16: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Anomander wrote: "I'm in!"

Welcome!!!

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5551 comments Fantastic Anomander!

message 18: by Midu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Midu Hadi | 1684 comments Thanks ladies!

message 19: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Just so I'm clear before I post the chapter/ question breakdown, its just CaroB, Anonmander, and myself participating in this one right?

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Nov 28, 2011 07:59AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 19862 comments I'm still on the fence about this one, ✿M✿. Don't know what to do; I would like to try something new, but I have had a migraine three days in a row and my neck has been killing me.

message 21: by Midu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Midu Hadi | 1684 comments Lisa Kay, the book's different..try it?

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 19862 comments Maybe. If I do, I'll probably be a day behind. We'll see. Trying to finish a few challenges.

message 23: by Midu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Midu Hadi | 1684 comments Okay! I'm probably taking on a lot of books myself for The Seasonal Reading Challenge group!

message 24: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Nov 28, 2011 08:03AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 19862 comments I saw you started this yesterday. Saw the post in SOS. Looks like you are liking it, Anomander?

message 25: by Midu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Midu Hadi | 1684 comments I am. Its cuz the female lead isn't helpless. And plus, she sparkles! hehe

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 19862 comments No! She doesn't!?

message 27: by Midu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Midu Hadi | 1684 comments lol yeah! She pwetty! Hows the headache?

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 19862 comments It's okay, right now. I took a pill. My neck hurts though; guess I need a different pill for that. I was thinking of going to the bookstore for this one, but I don't feel like leaving the house. Sometimes I like a paperback. Plus, I think I looked for it when I was last there and couldn't find it, but can't remember. Guess I could use the telephone and call B&N. Duh!

message 29: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Oh Lisa Kay, I'm sorry you don't feel well. I've never had a migraine before in my life!

message 30: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments For now, I break down the chapters between CaroB, Anomander, and myself. Anyone else can jump in at any time.

message 31: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Anomander, since you've already started do you want to post the first set of questions?

message 32: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Ok. There's 35 chapters, so at this point I'm thinking we could read 5 chapters a night. Is that ok with everyone else? I'm sorry, I know I should've taken care of this last night, but after I got home from work last night, I was exhausted!

message 33: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 19862 comments Don't stress, ✿M✿. This is supposed to be fun. ☺

message 34: by Michelle (last edited Nov 28, 2011 11:20AM) (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Schedule

Date	Chapters	PPQ
11/28 1-5 Anomander
11/29 6-10 Michelle
11/30 11-15 CaroB
12/1 16-20 Anomander
12/2 21-25 Michelle
12/3 26-30 CaroB
12/4 31-35 Anomander

PPQ = person posting questions

message 35: by Midu (new) - rated it 3 stars

Midu Hadi | 1684 comments Alright. Do I post them today? Feel better Lisa Kay.

message 36: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Anomander wrote: "Alright. Do I post them today? Feel better Lisa Kay."

Thanks Anomander. I'll change the schedule right now.

message 37: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Anomander wrote: "Alright. Do I post them today? Feel better Lisa Kay."

Yup. You can post them today if you'd like.

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5551 comments The schedule looks great Michelle! I'm starting this today :-)

message 39: by Midu (last edited Nov 29, 2011 06:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Midu Hadi | 1684 comments Questions for Chapters 1-5:
1. The prologue's dated: 2067. Does this mean it occurs sometime in the future or just that vampires have a different calendar system?

2. So 12 of the servants were searching for Algernon's ring. But only one of them knew about it. Do you think Tatiana would have killed all 12 if they knew? And wouldn't she get into trouble with the Families for that?

3. "Tatiana and Lord Ivan had discovered Algernon’s body just that evening, a rather unusual occurrence in a vampire death. Ashes yes, bodies no."
Keep this in mind, as you read ahead.

4. "Perhaps humans lived so hard because they had so little of that very thing."
So Chrysabelle isn't human or vampire. What IS a comarre?

5. The Comarres seem to have many strict rules, such as:

You know our rules don’t allow for random visits.
What were they hiding? She confirms my doubts by answering Tatiana's question this way:

‘Comarré are trained in swords, are they not?’
Rennata shrugged and a wisp of a smile played on her lips. ‘All for ceremony and show. Our skills lie in other, more delicate areas.’

6. The crest and slippers alone will not convince them.’
Saraphina nodded. ‘What of her suite?’
‘Leave it be. No one but us can touch it anyway.’

I liked it that the comarre protect their own.

7. Chrysabelle did not give her aunt the accurate details about the vampire who attacked her. Do you think that was wise?

8. "Without a patron, the buildup can make you sick."
Ooh or ew?

9. "And you’re not handicapped."
"Really? What else would you call a were-leopard who can’t shift into anything more than a house cat?"

Poor Doc *giggles*

10. Some of Doc's funnies:

"I need you to restrain me before the sun goes down."
"Based on the S&M request.."

"Sorry, princess. Can’t have you perforating the boss."

11. So many new terms, its off-putting:
Navitas-what?
Resiring-does that mean they are re-sired by the same person? If yes, what good does it do? If it is a different person, it could mean more members on the sire's team, right?

12- Why DID Jonas sent Chrysabelle to Mal? Was he setting her up?

13- Wikipedia says:

"The True Cross is the name for physical remnants which, by a Christian tradition, are believed to be from the cross upon which Jesus was crucified."
Would Chrysabelle's dagger be made from this? How much of it is there to go around?

message 40: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'll post my answers and questions in a bit.

message 41: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Sorry ladies, the holidays are draining me. I'm posting TONIGHT!

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5551 comments I'll post the next set of questions if you like, Michelle?

message 43: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments CaroB wrote: "I'll post the next set of questions if you like, Michelle?"

Oh yes please!! Thank you CaroB!! I'm sooooooo sorry. I'm just so behind on everything lately....

message 44: by CaroB (last edited Nov 30, 2011 02:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5551 comments Anomander's Questions for Chapters 1-5:

1. The prologue's dated: 2067. Does this mean it occurs sometime in the future or just that vampires have a different calendar system? I hadn't even thought of the different calendar system, I just assumed it was set in the future. Interesting thought though!

2. So 12 of the servants were searching for Algernon's ring. But only one of them knew about it. Do you think Tatiana would have killed all 12 if they knew? And wouldn't she get into trouble with the Families for that? Tatiana seems rather ruthless, I wouldn't put it past her to kill whoever she has to to get ahead. She seems to place no importance on life. Not really liking how humans are likened to cows all the time!

3. "Tatiana and Lord Ivan had discovered Algernon’s body just that evening, a rather unusual occurrence in a vampire death. Ashes yes, bodies no."
Keep this in mind, as you read ahead.
Oooh, a clue! Thanks:-)

4. "Perhaps humans lived so hard because they had so little of that very thing."
So Chrysabelle isn't human or vampire. What IS a comarre?
I thought it was a different breed of human, but not sure what their life expectancy might be. It seems to suggest they live longer lives than the "average" human.

5. The Comarres seem to have many strict rules, such as:

You know our rules don’t allow for random visits.
What were they hiding? She confirms my doubts by answering Tatiana's question this way:

‘Comarré are trained in swords, are they not?’
Rennata shrugged and a wisp of a smile played on her lips. ‘All for ceremony and show. Our skills lie in other, more delicate areas.’
Such an intriguing interaction between the two, there seems to be a semblance of respect but there's no trust and certainly no liking for each other. And yet the two breeds seem to need each other... am I getting that wrong?

6. The crest and slippers alone will not convince them.’
Saraphina nodded. ‘What of her suite?’
‘Leave it be. No one but us can touch it anyway.’
I liked it that the comarre protect their own.
Me too! And makes me wonder what they know about what happened with Algernon.

7. Chrysabelle did not give her aunt the accurate details about the vampire who attacked her. Do you think that was wise? I think she's trying to protect her, not sure about the wisdom behind it.

8. "Without a patron, the buildup can make you sick."
Ooh or ew?
hmmmm, interesting. Backs up my different species/breed theory.

9. "And you’re not handicapped."
"Really? What else would you call a were-leopard who can’t shift into anything more than a house cat?"
Poor Doc *giggles*
lol, how cute is the by-play between Fi and Doc.

10. Some of Doc's funnies:
"I need you to restrain me before the sun goes down."
"Based on the S&M request.."

"Sorry, princess. Can’t have you perforating the boss."
Really enjoying the humour!

11. So many new terms, its off-putting:
Navitas-what?
Resiring-does that mean they are re-sired by the same person? If yes, what good does it do? If it is a different person, it could mean more members on the sire's team, right?

http://www.latin-dictionary.org/navitas (means get up and go or energy)
There seem to be a lot of political implications to the resiring. Not too sure what it all entails yet.

12- Why DID Jonas sent Chrysabelle to Mal? Was he setting her up? I think Mal can help her, but she's seeing vamp=enemy at the moment.

13- Wikipedia says:
"The True Cross is the name for physical remnants which, by a Christian tradition, are believed to be from the cross upon which Jesus was crucified."
Would Chrysabelle's dagger be made from this? How much of it is there to go around?
Hmm, interesting! It's gotta be rare.

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5551 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "CaroB wrote: "I'll post the next set of questions if you like, Michelle?"

Oh yes please!! Thank you CaroB!! I'm sooooooo sorry. I'm just so behind on everything lately...."

No worries Michelle, I know what that can be like :-)
I'm really enjoying this book!

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5551 comments Doing This from my phone, so apologies for typos
Questions For chapters 6 - 15
:does anyone else think it strange that tatiana is so attracted till her snake !

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5551 comments OMG, sorry, I just saw this, I don't know what the hell happened. Let's try that again.
Questions for Chapters 6 - 15

14. Were you surprised by how much genuine affection Tatiana seems to have for her snake? Does it seem out of character?

15. Do you think C is guilty of killing Algernon?

16. Are Fi & Doc friend with Malkolm or reluctant companions?

17. Why and how has Malkolm been cursed?

18. It seems like the relationship between a vampire and a Comarre are symbiotic. Why don't C&M exchange fluids already?

19. Were you surprised by C's actions during the blood poisoning? Very out of character? What's with her eyes going lavender and small fangs appearing?

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5551 comments 20. How was Tatiana able to walk into C's room in Algernon's house without being blocked at the threshold?

21. What do you make of Preacher?

22. Do you think Fi really is alive again?

23. Is.anyone else confused by the concept blood rights? And if not, could you please explain them to me?

24. I looked up Castus Sanguis and it loosely translates to Blood Punishment, but who and what ate they in this story? Broken wings, claws, fangs and hooves? Comments?

25. "The light and the dark shall collide, and the covenant shall be broken "
Anyone else think this could be significant later in the story?

26. Mal thinks C is a pawn in a set-up against him. I'd it possible they're both being played? Does that mean Tatiana is too?

27. What a cliffhanger! What did you think of Malkolm's transformation?

message 49: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Thanks so much CaroB for posting. I really appreciate it. I'm sorry I'm "effing" up all the buddy reads lately. I will be back on track soon. I'm reading this one and really enjoying it too. I'll get my thoughts together and answer the questions soon. I'll post tomorrow night's questions too. I'm working a half day, so I should be all caught up by then.

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5551 comments Michelle, don't sweat it, I ended up backing out of three buddy reads last month because of the drama we had at home, it's all swings and roundabouts!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Flesh and Blood (other topics)
Blood Rights (other topics)
Blood Rights (other topics)
Surrender (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kristen Painter (other topics)