The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) The Death Cure discussion


2051 views
The Ending (SPOILERS!!!)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 242) (242 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

We want to know what you guys think of the ending? How do you feel about Teresa's death and Thomas ending up with Brenda? Also, what about that epilogue, what do you think it means? Can Brenda be trusted?


Rosy I was shocked when Teresa died. Never saw that coming at all!! Then I was upset that no one seemed to really care that she died. =/ I think Brenda is trustworthy though. I kinda saw Thomas ending up with Brenda though.


Mary Beth I thought that the ending was so weak... Thomas is out in search of the truth the whole trilogy and doesn't even get it in end. He just follows Brenda blindly. How can the conclusion of the story be that they are basically going to let the people that have the flare basically kill themselves off and the people that are immune will live HEA?! I was so disappointed, especially since I liked The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials so much.


Patricia I thought this whole book was weak, I was really disappointed. The first 2 were excellent, this one was just boring.


message 5: by Rou (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rou I almost cried when Newt died!!! Whyyy did Thomas shoot him! I so hated how it happened! Why was Newt the only not immune among the main characters :(

But generally I liked the ending because t wasn't perfect ,it was as realistic as it could be. Ad of course my fav characters are NEWT, Thomas, Minho and Brenda....

And I hate to say it like that but I wasn't sad when Teresa died.

I really wish that Newt was still alive among his friends and I hoped that he and Minho would speak or have a good-bye-chat or sth like that :( It'd have been lot better if the three friends had a nice good buy, especially Minho and Newt :(


Patrick i wish thomas and teresa could have left of on better terms. I only disliked teresa in the scorch trials, and even then i wasn't really sure whether i disliked her or liked her. I HATED how thomas always had to be difficult. Good lord, get your brain wiped so i can see your memories son!!!! I hate Brenda, for lack of better terms, i found she was "whoring" for Thomas, just to make Teresa jealous. And why was she always like, Thomas, I really meant everything i said in the scorch, liar....

I found the ending gut renching but appropriate. And there was no hope for the cities that were infected, if the immunes stayed, they would be overrun and picked off one by one by cranks or jealous people who haven't caught the flare yet. So yes, in my opinion The immunes should have been preserved to save the human race, and if the immunes somehow find a cure for the flare, than they can run in and save the day!!!!


message 7: by Steph (last edited Oct 28, 2011 04:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steph Barrick I feel like Teresa never got the credit or trust she deserved. I thought it was irritating how bitter and angry Thomas continued to feel toward her. Sure she mislead you in the scorch and beat you with a stick a couple of times but in the end it was all to save you so get over it!

I never liked Brenda and I always saw her as more of a friend to Thomas so I thought it was strange how close they got in this book and how much he trusted her EVEN after he found out she was working with wicked!
I am glad we got to see Teresa as the loyal good guy in the end but I am sad she had to die. In my fairytale ending of this book Thomas would have trusted and chosen Teresa and it would have been Brenda underneath that chunk of stone.

As for the ending I thought it was original and unexpected which I liked. I also thought it was a nice twist that the rat man actually ended up having the flare considering how composed he was throughout the previous books.
I do wish we could have found out more about Thomas's past though, why couldn't he have just let them give him his memories back?!
I also wish they had some hope for a cure in the end. I understand the immunes being sent away was the alternative to the cure because that had failed but I still feel bad the rest of humanity is just going to die out.


Maddy I don't know. I was expecting a much more exciting ending. The ending left me crying, especially since my favorite character (NOT Teresa!! I didn't care nearly as much when SHE died) couldn't be there. I was kind of shocked that Teresa really did die though, and that Thomas ended up with Brenda. *sigh* I want to know what happens after that!! You CAN'T end a series with a cliff-hanger, like James Dashner JUST DID! :P


message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex Now I don't know how many of you will agree with me, but this book left me disappointed after the other two. The other two were amazing, two of my favourite books of all time, but this one just felt hollow, like James Dashner hadn't put enough effort into it. It was short and stunted. And by stunted I mean it had so much more potential. It could have had one of the most amazing and memorable endings, but instead it ended "The girl Thomas should have ended up pushed him out of the way and got crushed (cliche?) and so he ran off and lived happily ever after with another girl who is likeable, but not necessarily trustworthy."

I suppose I am just one disappointed fan.


message 10: by Boyd (new) - rated it 5 stars

Boyd Masters I was so shocked when Teresa died but I was glad that Thomas ended up with Brenda and yes I think Brenda can be trusted.


message 11: by Joe (last edited Nov 07, 2011 03:45PM) (new)

Joe Honestly, iI was very surprised when Teresa died because i felt like she has been with Thomas for so many years! I mean it didn't even seem like anybody cared about her after she got crushed. Whhat she did to Thomas in the Scorch(beating him up) was not a reason to dislike her. She cared about Thomas so much to do that so they didn't kil him. I wish he couldve worked things out with Teresa and I wish she could've seen the safe land too! There were also many questions unanswered at the end. I hop Dasher surprises us all with another book even though its a trilogy. Maybe tht will change! I don't know! But overall this was my favorite book of all time!!


message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

We're on the fence as to whether or not Brenda is trustworthy. We want to think she is, but there's a slight doubt still alive there that makes us think she's only 99.9% trustworthy.....


message 13: by Boyd (new) - rated it 5 stars

Boyd Masters RandomBuzzers wrote: "We're on the fence as to whether or not Brenda is trustworthy. We want to think she is, but there's a slight doubt still alive there that makes us think she's only 99.9% trustworthy....."

I like how you worded this, and I agree with you


Sara (of the Page Sage) Exactly! I was never a huge fan of Brenda, and finding out that she had lied to Thomas all throughout the Scorch Trials didn't make me like her any better.


message 15: by Boyd (new) - rated it 5 stars

Boyd Masters I honostly like Brenda for Thomas more than I like Teresa with Thomas


message 16: by Boyd (last edited Nov 08, 2011 04:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Boyd Masters I really hope they make each book a movie. And if they do they better not ruin it. In my opinion it would be on of the intisipating set of movies.


message 17: by Kyle (last edited Nov 09, 2011 05:22PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kyle While I was happy that Brenda and Thomas ended up together, I just feel like Teresa's death was unnesscary. Plus, the whole thing with the Trans-Flat - where did they go? I thought the entire world was a wasteland with people getting the Flare left and right. Also, Thomas just felt so selfish in the end, not even really caring what happened to everybody outside their little Immune community. Also, I think while Brenda has some secrets to reveal, I think she won't do anything to hurt anybody, or betray them.


message 18: by Boyd (new) - rated it 5 stars

Boyd Masters I really hope that James Dashener will suprise everyone and write a fourth book. Also I really hope that they make each book into a movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Mary Beth Bianca wrote: "I don't know. I was expecting a much more exciting ending. The ending left me crying, especially since my favorite character (NOT Teresa!! I didn't care nearly as much when SHE died) couldn't be th..."

Alex wrote: "Now I don't know how many of you will agree with me, but this book left me disappointed after the other two. The other two were amazing, two of my favourite books of all time, but this one just fel..."

I was very disappointed as well. Felt like I wasted my time reading it.


message 20: by Boyd (new) - rated it 5 stars

Boyd Masters Mary Beth wrote: "Bianca wrote: "I don't know. I was expecting a much more exciting ending. The ending left me crying, especially since my favorite character (NOT Teresa!! I didn't care nearly as much when SHE died)..."

I completly disagree I loved it, and I thought it was very intispating


Lettersalad Four weeks now since I finished the book and I still can’t get over Newt. Even if there will be a fourth book sometime, the story won’t be the same without him. His life sucked and the way he died was the worst of it all. He deserved more than anybody in these books to be happy and relieved at the end. Or at least feel free and safe for once. I really hope there will be a fourth book and who knows, maybe Dashner surprises us all. I mean look at Gally, Dashner seems to like letting people rise from the dead :D Plus Thomas never looked back after he pulled the trigger.

As for Teresa, well I felt sorry for her. I only mistrusted her in the Scorch Trials, but not hated her. I believe she really was scared about Thomas and so did what Wicked wanted her to do. What I really hated was Thomas’ justification for trusting Brenda over Teresa. Both lied to him, both worked with Wicked. I felt annoyed how Thomas was acting toward Teresa, while he never really questioned all that Brenda “I really like you, believe me, I’m done with Wicked” crap. At the end of The Death Cure Tomas still knows Brenda only for a few months, while he knew Teresa possibly his whole life.


message 22: by Kyle (new) - rated it 1 star

Kyle Lettersalad wrote: "Four weeks now since I finished the book and I still can’t get over Newt. Even if there will be a fourth book sometime, the story won’t be the same without him. His life sucked and the way he died ..."

The part about Thomas not trusting Teresa also makes me hate how stupid he was to not get his memories back - would've saved him so much more trouble to just get them back.


Aimee Wilkinson For me I'm never gonna read it again. I read it in like 1 day and it was good until Teresa died. I wanted her and Thomas to end up together so bad. When he saved her from the griever I was sooo happy then she died saving Thomas. Thomas only knew Brenda for a few weeks and he's known Teresa for like his whole life, and she does remember that. I don't know if I trust Brenda, he knowing where the switches were was like um wow... and the little end with the Page person, she said that two immunes knew, first thing I thought of Brenda and her friend (damn I forget his name muchacho) but then I thought it might have been Teresa and Aris. Or Teresa and someone else. I hated how Thomas had to shoot Newt and Chuck still makes me sad when I read about him.


Elizabeth: I cried when teresa died, also she was like never in that book and it kinda made me mad


message 25: by Cera (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cera I know some people feel like a lot was left out and not filled in. So to make it a little better....."Before WICKED was formed, before the Glade was built, before Thomas entered the Maze, sun flares seared the earth and mankind fell to disease. THE KILL ORDER tells the story of that fall. "The prequel is something that has churned in my mind since before The Maze Runner was even complete. It's been hard to keep it a secret! I'm excited to finally share the news and I can't wait for my readers to see how it all began," shared Dashner. Since the inception of the series, fans have clamored to know more. THE KILL ORDER will answer their most burning questions." - To be released August 14, 2012. Enjoy!


message 26: by Kyle (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kyle I was completely fine with the book until the ending. The were a lot of aspects in this series that seemed rushed to me, but this especially seemed over rushed. The way Teresa died was so abrupt and odd that I had to re-read the part where she died several times just make sure that I didn't miss something. And then all of a sudden they're in some wilderness, and we don't even find out what happens to the rest of the world. I feel like he got bored of writing and just wanted to finish, had to meet some deadline, or was incapable of coming up with an interesting ending that gave some closure to the series. I was completely disappointed.


Grace I listened to the audiobook and was completely absorbed. There will always be things I would have changed, but I think some of the issues were done on purpose. Everything doesn't work out well, and sometimes you won't know why. As for Teresa, yes, I was a little disappointed in Thomas for his reactions to her, but to me, that just shows he is human and sometimes we can't get over things that happen to us - whether we understand why or not. As for the rushed way she died ... well, it happens. I remember reading an interview with JK Rowling about Lupin & Tonks' death -- how it was touched on so briefly. She said she did that on purpose, because life happens that way. I admit I was heartbroken when Newt was killed, tho -- he was one of my favorite characters. As for the ending, I was fine with it. At the end of the day, it's Dashner's story to tell the way he imagined it.


Katie Bush The fact that Teresa got her memories back and Thomas didn't made me wonder if she was in love with him, but the author never said that Teresa made weird faces when Brenda held hands with Thomas or anything.

ALSO I wanted to know if, since Thomas was involved in The Purge, was Thomas also responsible for Brenda's father's death? The book seems to make us believe that Thomas was super involved in WICKED.

I wonder if Thomas had gotten his memories back, if he would have continued to help them or not. I'm happy he didn't, but I don't think it was fair to Teresa that she had the memories of herself and Thomas and he didn't.

Also, I wanted Thomas and Brenda to end up together. In book 1, I hoped that Teresa and Thomas would end up together, but after the Scorch I liked Brenda better. Did anyone else hate that Brenda was so feely with Thomas in the Scorch (My gut reaction was "back off! He's Teresa's!)?


Fiona Yonkman I just wanted to say that this ending totally sucked. Horrible. This was the worst book in the series.


Najla I really felt disappointed after finishing this book. Teresa's death was a shock, we couldn't even know what she wanted to say and Thomas didn't have the chance to forgive her.
I didn't like the fact that after all the suffering they just leave everything behind and start a new life like nothing happened!!. Well, they could have done that from the beginning.
Nonetheless, I liked WICKED. I really liked how you keep wondering whether WICKED is good or not, and you realize at the end that WICKED is both good and bad.
I have to say this is the worst book of the series. I loved the first tow books. This story started out great and ended up weak, unfortunately.


message 31: by Denette (last edited Dec 16, 2011 05:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Denette I loved this book it pissed me off, it made me sad it made me happy, and the characters were awesome! I wish they were real having a conversation with them would be fun.The ending was totally unexpected to me and even though I hated that some of my favorite characters died it made me like this book so much more.


Izzy I hate that Teresa died! And I didn't want Thomas to end up with Brenda even though it was obvious that he was. She probably can be trusted since it was the end of the book and she didn't betray them. Overall, I was a little disappointed.


Rachel i hate that Newt died :( he was awesome. i can't believe Teresa died though. i thought they would get back together. Brenda to i didn't think she'd live i thought Brenda would die and Teresa would go live an d be with Thomas. i didn't want Thomas and Brenda together. she (in my mind) was a minor character that would probably die off at the end. I'm very, very, very, sad that newt died as a crank :(


message 34: by Njwheels (new)

Njwheels Oh my gosh! I hated all the violence. I think this entire book was unnecessarily violent.
I can't believe the author would just kill off his best friends like that.
It wasn't too bad when Newt died, because It kind of worked up to his death and Thomas was doing him a favor.
Teresa however, I couldn't believe. I think Thomas was unfair to her. She never did anything to hurt him, except for when it would save his life. After that, she still tried to make amends to the best of her ability. Why would he choose brenda (who I never liked in the first place) who he had only even known for a few weeks. They never had a relationship like he did with teresa, even when they kissed, it sounded empty.

Except for that however, the book was very good.


message 35: by MB (new) - rated it 4 stars

MB I liked the book, and though it was sad that Teresa died, I think it was necessary. Up to that point, Thomas didn't trust her; this seemed like the only way for her to show him that she was really on his side, and that she was trying to protect them all along.
As for Brenda: I didn't really like her. I'm not really sure what it was about her that gave me pause, but there was something. Even now, though it's been a while since I've finished the books, I have a difficult time thinking that she's a good character. Something inside of me says that she shouldn't be trusted. But who knows, maybe I'm just completely misinterpreting her character.
I also hated that Newt had to die, though I'm glad that it was Thomas that finally put him out of his misery, instead of letting Newt suffer through the worst effects of the Flare.

Hopefully any movies that are made will be faithful to the books. I think there is a lot of potential for these to be made into movies.


message 36: by Madai (last edited Dec 27, 2011 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Madai Rachel wrote: "i hate that Newt died :( he was awesome. i can't believe Teresa died though. i thought they would get back together. Brenda to i didn't think she'd live i thought Brenda would die and Teresa would ..."

at the end of this book i cried so agonizingly it was horrible how it felt for me


message 37: by Lire (new)

Lire I like Teresa, but (who agrees with me?)she always seemed so desperate for Thomas. She was so attached and helpless around him, it was almost frustrating. Brenda, I feel, was meant to be with Thomas. She was a likeable character and, I mean, why wouldn't you trust her? Just because she was doing her job in the Scorch doesn't necessarily mean she was ever lying. Afterwards, she never once spoke a lie and only tried to help not only Thomas, but his friends.
The ending was perfect to me, it gives enough room for you to understand and enough for you to add on for yourself. For myself, I'm writing a fan fiction (my first one, YAY!) and I'm loving how Dashner ended it. The simplicity is making it all the much better for me and, seriously, after all that occured in the book, a complex ending is totally unneeded. So, kudos, Dashner, I was extremely pleased with your masterpiece.


message 38: by Rome (new)

Rome Lire wrote: "I like Teresa, but (who agrees with me?)she always seemed so desperate for Thomas. She was so attached and helpless around him, it was almost frustrating. Brenda, I feel, was meant to be with Thom..."

Brenda did lie to Thomas in the end. The epilogue reveals a lot about the behind-the-scenes story. The chancellor reveals that "with the help of my partners, two wisely places immunes..." Chancellor is referring to Brenda and Jorge. Brenda and Jorge knew all along that there was this back-up plan. Remember very early on in the story Brenda tells Thomas to trust only the Chancellor. Brenda clearly worked closely with her.

Brenda obviously had her orders/plans. She already knew the key codes to shut down the Flat-trans. And she intent on burning the cabin down to be safe. She knew it existed all along, and knew its purpose and was trained on what to do after using it.

She tells Thomas that this "will be a good start" to their new beginning,and Thomas clearly is suspicious about her statements at the end.

So ultimately I don't know what to think about Brenda. She is very deceitful through much of the story, and she blatantly lies at the end when Thomas asks what she meant and she says "nothing at all..."

But I still like her character. And I believe that Brenda as a character does truly care for Thomas in the end. It's kind of like a have your cake and eat it too situation. She followed the chancellor's plan, but gets to end up with the guy she wants.

But she can be seen as entirely deceitful and NOT to be trusted also. She tells him not to die when he is heading to WICKED to plant the device that knocks out the weapons. That could be taken to mean "don't die... because they need you alive when they dissect your brain". Remember, she knew all along that there was a flat-trans available in the WICKED compound, yes when she freed Thomas in the Scorch Trials she never led them to it. They could have escaped to safety right then. So to me that means that she couldn't let Thomas leave yet because WICKED needed him to complete the blueprint.

If I'm missing something please inform me. Since this story is generally for younger readers I have not met any other adults who have read it to discuss the more intricate details with. Anyone up for the dabte about the ending?


message 39: by Iris (new)

Iris i agree, Brenda & Jorge were sent by Chancellor Paige. Thomas never freed himself from WICKED. This new paradise is controlled by WICKED and either way they got what they wanted


Nicole Patricia wrote: "I thought this whole book was weak, I was really disappointed. The first 2 were excellent, this one was just boring."

I agree...I was really disappointed with the ending. I felt like the author just sort of gave up on weaving all of his dangling plot lines together, and just created an easy out.


Aurora Taylor I thought it was really good, but wrapped up too quickly. (I'm not comparing anything here, FYI) I think it could've benefitted with an epilogue set some years in the future, like Hunger Games or Harry Potter. It would've made the ending better, so that we knew that it was...settled.


message 42: by Rome (new)

Rome Nicole wrote: "Patricia wrote: "I thought this whole book was weak, I was really disappointed. The first 2 were excellent, this one was just boring."

I agree...I was really disappointed with the ending. I felt ..."


I disagree that he gave up. The ending ultimately was sort of a "deus ex machina" the flat-trans to begin anew. But I think it makes things interesting. Throughout most of the 3rd book, I felt like Brenda really was being honest with Thomas about everything, and the ending shakes that up. The idea that Thomas' brain held the key to completing the cure might never have actually been true, but rather it was a last ditch effort by an evil man slowly going insane from the flare. Ratman did say that he and the chancellor "weren't on the same team", maybe the final candidate meant something completely different but the Ratman decided that it meant vivisection.

I like that the flare virus ended up being so widespread and devastating that the only way to save the race was to have an isolated fresh start.

When a book series ends giving you all the warm-fuzzies you want if your 13 years old, I think it's too predictable and boring.

***Thomas and Theresa reunite after killing the Ratman to become romantic partners and together they solve the blueprint problem and develop a cure, just in time to save Newt's life and the rest of the world***.

THAT would be boring to me. The death of Newt was one of my favorite parts of the series because it elicited such INTENSE emotional reactions. "What would I have done? What if the cure could have saved him in the end? But there might never be a cure... and Newt's last sane thought was asking me to please do this for him... I had to... didn't I?" That is GOOD WRITING. Something that impacts the reader on a level you didn't expect.

That fairytale ending I explained above (which seems to be what many of you would have preferred) would have been disappointing to me. A clean ending with all loose ends tied off entirely, but ultimately it wouldn't have been as good of a story to me. I like that Thomas and Minho never got their memories back. I like that they are human. I like that Although the story "ends" theres still a couple questions floating around... but only if you want there to be. You can just accept that brenda is with Thomas and there is nothing plotted or planned. Or you can distrust her. There is a case for both and I find that fascinating.


Aurora Taylor I agree with you, Rome.

Had everything been tied up with a neat little bow, it wouldn't have worked. There are some books where it works with 'happy endings,' but this isn't one of them. This is not easy fiction, because it's too close to real life. Things don't always work out right. People don't live through everything. People have to make hard choices. This book is exception. I give high kudos to James Dashner for writing this the way he did.


message 44: by Thefunhouse (last edited Jan 16, 2012 08:25AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thefunhouse I felt the first two books were brilliant and this one was lacking a bit, still enjoyed though.

The series of events throughout the book were fine but I still felt some major characters were left out in exchange for action scenes. Aris was completely left out and I thought he was an interesting character. Jorge was present but never said much (other than the odd muchacho or hermano). And worst of all, Teresa was non existent through the body of the book. Thomas and Teresa's relationship was what made you feel something throughout the first two books and it was neglected almost completely. I digress. Back to the question:

What I liked about the ending:
1) The series of events were awesome, the surgery, the return to the maze, everything before the flat trans hangar part basically was very intense and fitting

2) The fact that it was fairly realistic in the sense that not everything worked out for the better like in a "story". It was more true to life in a dystopia. As mentioned above by Rome and Aurora, I completely agree. Newt's death was well written.

3) Teresa's last words were pretty haunting, probably garnering the most emotion in the series since Chuck's death.

4) Loved that Gally came along. Don't know why, just thought it was great.

5) As always, another fantastic prologue by Dashner. Sensational!

What I DID NOT like about the ending:
1) As mentioned, Teresa's death was horribly cliche. This could have been forgivable if their were huge emotional consequences for Thomas (see number 2 of list).

2) I actually disliked Thomas at the end of the book. I always thought he would get over his petty attitude toward Teresa and they would fully reconcile in some way. They did not and that is fine if that's the route the author wants to take because it opens up a huge emotional roller coaster later if she dies. Thomas realizing and coming to terms with the fact that everything Teresa did was in fact because she loved him could have been the most powerful reading in the whole series. However, for Thomas to basically show such little remorse afterward is such a slap in the face to the reader. Wasted opportunity. Like finding a million bucks in the street and saying you'll come back later to get it. IT'S RIGHT THERE! haha

3) The last fight scene was pretty silly to me. For Rat Man to show up with armed guards in a building that's caving in didn't work for me. Just Rat Man showing up would make sense because he's flare filled and irrational. I don't believe any sane guard would be staying in a building willingly that was caving in (unless they knew about the flat trans too but it wasn't mentioned). The Braveheart-like battle scene was the only action sequence in the whole series I didn't like. I also felt that it would transfer over into a movie terribly. It would look cheesy and the audience would be saying "Why didn't they just go through the flat trans?"

4) The previous point is not a huge deal but it ties into this one. The whole pre and post flat trans entry scene felt very rushed and lazily written. I felt like there were a ton more ways it could have been interesting but the author was approaching an imaginary page limit where he needed to wrap up by then.

All in all, a huge kudos to the author for writing a fantastic series that I loved with great characters you could feel for. Very glad to hear about the prequel.


message 45: by Jason (new)

Jason For some reason, the fact that Teresa died is something I can't get over. All throughout the series, regardless of what was happening to them, she symbolized hope, to me. She was beautiful, and did everything she could to save Thomas, no matter what the cost. She deserved to belong with Thomas, she deserved to live! I can't believe she died in such a meaningless and unresolved fashion. I certainly wont forget her, or this series, anytime soon. Almost cried. =(


Thefunhouse Jason wrote: "For some reason, the fact that Teresa died is something I can't get over. All throughout the series, regardless of what was happening to them, she symbolized hope, to me. She was beautiful, and did..."

The fact that Teresa died wasn't the crime here, it was the fact it was so lazily thrown in and without any emphasis on the emotional severity afterward.

Like you said, meaningless and unresolved. Her death should have meant something so much more.


message 47: by Jason (new)

Jason ^Agreed. I think Dashner was probably juggling with different ways to end it, and threw her death in there. Not cool. Not cool at all. Hopefully we'll see more of her in the prequel


Nicole Rome wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Patricia wrote: "I thought this whole book was weak, I was really disappointed. The first 2 were excellent, this one was just boring."

I agree...I was really disappointed with the ..."


I have to disagree with you Rome. What bothered me the most was that Dashner DID give them just a simple, boring fairy tale ending (or as much of one as a dystopian novel could have). They defeated their enemies, escaped to a paradise where they could start over fresh, away from the evils of the rest of the world. Even Teresa's death was convenient- as other people have mentioned- now Thomas doesn't have to feel guilty, or make a tough decision of who to be with. I did not really care, personally, who in particular Thomas ended up with (both Brenda and Teresa were strong, intelligent, awesome women) but, like like Thefunhouse said, I feel like Dashner just botched a good opportunity for emotional revelations for Thomas.
I really loved this series, but I just did not like the ending of this book. I feel like there were much more elegant, thoughtful ways Dashner could have ended the series.


Nicole Rome wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Patricia wrote: "I thought this whole book was weak, I was really disappointed. The first 2 were excellent, this one was just boring."

I agree...I was really disappointed with the ..."


I agree with you about Newt's death though- I felt like it was a really good moment, and that, even though Thomas may not have felt like it at the time, he was doing the right thing, and I was glad that saved Newt by keeping him from completely losing his humanity.

And I sort of liked Brenda more than Teresa, although both are pretty awesome characters


message 50: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie mcghee ok i NEVER likes Teresa and what she did to Thomas doesnt help she was a back stabber and she simply ruined everything. frankly i love Brenda she can totally be trusted and her and Thomas make a really cute couple. about all the other characters. now i know this was in the fist book but let us bow our heads in a moment of silence for chuck




moment over. i cant believe that newt died but im really glad that he did it with dignity before he could go totally insane i think i would have died if he had'nt. and for the freakin record did the author plan to use the effing greivers in ever book? was it a reoccurence thing to tie them all together more than they already were?? or was it because that lazy BASTERD ran out of material?! i mean really Mr. Dashner there are so many other components you could have used. zombies, ghosts, nightmares, hypnosis, backstabbing BUT THOSE FUCKING GREIVERS! we get it"oh scary slugs" pfft what EVER. all in all though i really did enjoy all the books (the first being my favorite) but i would not suggest them to any of my friends unless i knew for a fact that they had the patience to read all of them and not stop in the middle like i almost did allot. now, Mr. Dashner, PLEASE. WRITE. SOMETHING NOT SO DRAWN OUT AND MAKE IT BETTER!


« previous 1 3 4 5
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

The Death Cure (other topics)
The Kill Order (other topics)
Divergent (other topics)
Lockdown (other topics)