A Clockwork Christmas discussion

Talk about anything...

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Schwartz (jenny_schwartz) | 36 comments Mod
Good or bad, as long as it's not mean, this is the place to just chat.

We can discuss Christmas presents you plan to buy -- or make, which is definitely the Steampunk spirit -- or perhaps you can't think of a gift for a difficult-but-loved person? We can help ... oh, suggesting you buy "A Clockwork Christmas" for them is tacky. *sigh* This promo stuff is tough. Speaking of which ... should I start another thread, one where we can promo Steampunkish books, inc self-promo? Yes, no?

message 2: by Jenny (new)

A how-to guide for a Steampunk holiday feast.
http://horizonchaser.livejournal.com/...

I just found the site while wandering round the Net, and I had to share.

message 3: by P.G. (new)

P.G. (pgforte) | 11 comments Mod
OMG, this is hilarious! Thanks for sharing. :)

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Are you one of those people who if there's a silence, feels compelled to break it?

I bet you can tell, by the way I'm hogging the conversation around here, that I'm one of those people.

I'm working on it, though. I realise some people prefer silence (I know, weird, huh?), others like a little downtime, some thought space, between comments. Silence is okay, silence is good. Most of all I tell myself it doesn't have to be me who breaks the silence.

Elevators are the worst. There you are, riding sloooowly up the floors in the morning, on your way to work. The people in the moving box with you are colleagues, even if not from your particular team. Don't you just ache to say something to them?

Years ago I worked in an IT HR dept, sharing floorspace with real techies. I still remember the shocked horror of the poor guy I decided to chat to in the elevator. I could see his eyes pop and his shoulderblades try to dig him a path to freedom through the elevator wall. He couldn't believe that I was breaking the sacred silence of the morning elevator ride!

message 5: by Elise (new)

Elise Warner (goodreadscomElise_Warner) | 5 comments I used to be shy. Something I've grown out of but I still tend to be a "listener." Somebody has to do it. To compensate I use dialogue a lot and a few of my characters just won't stop talking.

message 6: by Jenny (new)

They are the very best characters :) talkative ones just write their own scenes.

message 7: by Eleni (new)

Eleni Konstantine | 5 comments LOL - talkative characters say 'look at me'.

message 8: by Eleni (new)

Eleni Konstantine | 5 comments Jenny, it's funny, i've never thought of the sacred silence before. Amazing how it's more in the morning than at other times during the day (well I used to find). Now the only lifts I use are department store lifts, so I don't even think about talking to others who may be in the lift.

message 9: by Elise (new)

Elise Warner (goodreadscomElise_Warner) | 5 comments Most people ignore each other and just look straight ahead.

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Eleni ... same here--the no more elevator rides to work thing ... I have to admit, I don't miss them. There was always the guilty feeling I ought to be taking the stairs!

Elise ... you must be thinking Aussies never stop talking, even in elevators! Most people here do just face forward and pretend the others don't exist.

Silly story alert: I moved into a new house and a wonderful friend from work gave me belladonna bulbs from her garden. These lovely flowers gain an extra "trumpet" (flower) on their flowerhead for every year of growth. Because she gave me old bulbs, the flowers were huge showy and very pink. I cut one and brought it into the office to show her and say thanks. So there I was, riding the elevator up to the office with my flower and two middle aged men (I was about 22). Man 1 said to Man 2. "We're sharing the elevator with a naked lady." Man 2 looked horrified. Appalled. Braced for sexual harassment charges. I giggled. Here in Oz, the common name for belladonna is "naked lady".

message 11: by Jenny (new)

There was a fascinating discussion on Twitter today about steampunk costuming on a budget. Thrift shops were mentioned frequently and "repurposing" clothes. It was inspiring.

Steampunk chats happen on Twitter every Friday at 9pm (New York time) using the hashtag #steampunkchat to keep things semi-organised. I've found it a really welcoming group, so if you're interested in dipping your toes into steam-y waters, this is a friendly place to start. The topic changes each week.

message 12: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Coi (jkcoi) | 4 comments I made myself a steampunk-ish costume for halloween and had most of the components at home already. It was military steampunk, so I had a military-style jacket, some black fishnet tights, black biker boots with buckles, and a set of dogtags. Then I added a black leather aviator cap with big goggles, an over-the-shoulder gunbelt and some other steampunk inspired accessories (like a Tesla themed weapon)

message 13: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Coi (jkcoi) | 4 comments LOL-I'm not usually the talkative type. Hubby complains about it when we go on long driving trips

message 14: by Jenny (new)

He shouldn't complain. Being trapped next to a chatty person on long trips is murder -- I know, I see my trap-ees' expressions :)

message 15: by Coleen (new)

Coleen Kwan | 4 comments Just finished writing a 10K steampunk novella, and I'm worried my villain is a bit cartoonish. Anyone got a favourite steampunk villain? What makes a great baddie?

message 16: by Jenny (new)

Ooh, good question!

Frivolous answer: Does your baddie have a white Persian cat? Definitely cartoonish :)

Serious answer: I don't think I have a favourite steampunk villain, one so memorable that he springs to mind as Mr Evil. But elements of my perfect villain would include possession of a devilish steampunk device, the desire to use it and a reason for doing so...something beyond "I'm evil and therefore I want to destroy the world". I like to know why the villain is choosing destruction.

Not quite steampunk, but in that sort of high adventure style, Zoe Archer's "Blades of the Rose" series had some gorgeous villains ... and heroes ;)

Coleen, where's your steampunk novella set? Tell us more...

message 17: by Coleen (new)

Coleen Kwan | 4 comments My baddie doesn't have a white Persian cat!! But he does have a steam powered wheelchair.

I guess it's all in the motivation. I haven't read Zoe Archer.

I loved Kenneth Branagh's Dr Arliss Loveless (what a great name) in 'Wild Wild West', but maybe that's cos he's a great actor.

message 18: by Jenny (new)

He's definitely a great actor...but to my mind, everything faded before that giant spider in Wild Wild West remake ... ugh, hate spiders :)

and a steampowered wheelchair opens up all sorts of possibilities *steeples fingers* interesting...

unread topics | mark unread