Outlander Series discussion

Outlander (Outlander, #1)
This topic is about Outlander
The Books > Outlander

Comments (showing 1-50 of 125) (125 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3092 comments The original, the one that started it all.

Mimi Smith | 199 comments Isn't it weird that though this is the first and to many favorite book and there are no comments? LOL

I was bound and determined to never write a review about it, b/c I would never do it justice...and of course I wrote it. It's rambling, sure, and has more pictures than words, but it exists *sigh*.

Marietta | 63 comments Mimi wrote: "Isn't it weird that though this is the first and to many favorite book and there are no comments? LOL

I was bound and determined to never write a review about it, b/c I would never do it justice....."

Mimi, there are several other discussions already going in this group. Look in the thread re-read for month of January.

message 4: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3092 comments It is odd that there are no questions prior to the Outlander reread. I mean, that only started January 1st and I added this book thread in October.

Marietta | 63 comments The monitors may have wiped out the discussions because there had previously been no rules about spoilers. Now it is safer to post and read.

Mimi Smith | 199 comments Wendy F wrote: "It is odd that there are no questions prior to the Outlander reread. I mean, that only started January 1st and I added this book thread in October."

That's what I thought, Wendy. Yes there's a re-read going on so we're discussing things to death. But I guess I was surprised there was nothing prior to that.

Marietta | 63 comments This is from the Moderator's note at the home page:

I just wanted to make an official announcement that Goodreads has added me on as a Moderator for this group (because Wendy and Michelle who so awesomely created the group have been absent for a year). Leea graciously offered to help me.

I just wanted to let you know in case you see changes in when you come visit the group. We'll be deleting old threads and rearranging folders and stuff. Trying to create something more orgnaized.

The only time we may close a current thread will be if we have one that's the same from previous. Then we'll be merging them together.

we'll also be creating a thread for suggestions. Please let us know if you'd like to see something in the group.

message 8: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3092 comments That's right, I did delete a bunch of duplicate threads. I did keep one thread for each of the books that had the most posts, but Outlander surprisingly didn't have one so I had to create a new one. (Or at least I didn't see one.)

Maybe because it's the first one and most of us joined the group well after we had read that one?

Tina | 155 comments I know that I didn't comment on Outlander very much because it gets a little distant after reading all the other books. Now I am re-reading Outlander and I would gladly discuss it. I am enjoying it so much the second time around.

Question: when do you think Jamie first fell in love with Claire? and Clarie with Jamie?

message 10: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 937 comments Well, Jamie said that he fell in love with Claire when she cried in his arms at the castle. My theory is that Claire realized she love Jamie when she had to make the decision at the circle of stones.

message 11: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina | 155 comments When does she cry in his arms? Before of after they are married?

I wondering if Jamie is in love with Claire the few days after their wedding and wedding night.They are on the hill over looking the inn that they are staying in. He speaks so lovingly to her. He tells her that he is feeling different. He says that he has held other women and kissed other women before and he says:

" it was verra pleasant indeed. Made my heart pound and my breath come short, but is wasna at all as it is when I take you in my arms and kiss you" "suddenly it's as though I've a living flame in my arms, and I want only to throw myself into it and be consumed".

**sigh**

message 12: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah | 91 comments Tina wrote: "When does she cry in his arms? Before of after they are married?

I wondering if Jamie is in love with Claire the few days after their wedding and wedding night.They are on the hill over looking ..."

Jamie admits that he loved Claire the first night they arrived at Castle Leoch and she allowed him to comfort her. Claire had just re-bandaged his shoulder (and traced the scars on his back for him). She started crying over Frank and her situation. Jamie gathered her in his arms and comforted her while she cried. Claire had that thought about if she were a horse she'd let him ride her anywhere (LOL) and then she realized he was "over-excited" and got off of his lap. He tells her not to be afraid of him and that he would protect her and look out for her. I love this scene.

message 13: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 937 comments After they were married and went to Lallybroch, Jamie admitted to Claire that he "wanted" her from the moment she bandaged him up at the cottage, but that he "loved" her from the moment he comforted her at the castle.

message 14: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina | 155 comments :)

message 15: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina | 155 comments Claire admitted to Geillie Duncun (view spoiler) that she loved Jamie.

message 16: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina | 155 comments I absolutely love Janet "Jenny" Fraser Murry in Outlander. When Jamie takes Claire to Lallybroch Jenny is just a love. I love how she talks, how she cares for everyone, especially Jamie. She just loves him sooo much. She also takes Claire under her wing and cares for her like a sister. She is one of my favorite characters.. in this book.

message 17: by Leea, Escape Artist (new) - added it

Leea | 1239 comments I laughed so hard at Jamies reaction to Jenny being pregnant. haha!! Talk about food in your mouth. Classic!

Carol L | 218 comments One of those scenes that reminds me how young and impulsive he is.

message 19: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 326 comments As suggested by Wendy I copied below mentioned message from the Outlander Jan/Febr. discussion to this thread.

For more than one week there were no more suggestions here, do we run out of material for Outlander?

How glad I am that we've got a Febr. 29th this year, it's just in time for this one: Yesterday I finished my Outlander re- (do not know how many times!), this time by listening to the wonderful Davina Porter. I had the feeling that listening makes it many times harder to get through the Wentworth Prison section and its aftermath, than reading it to yourself. But then, just before the story turns to a happy ending, there it was - the pearl bracelet! It seemed to be lost somewhere in the depths of my memory, and after we learned who had given the pearl necklace to Jamie's mother Ellen some chapters earlier, MacRannoch sent the matching bracelet to Claire.

But what happened to this bracelet, does anybody know, did it ever turn up again? Whereas the necklace keeps being reported from time to time, I cannot remember what became of the bracelet.

I also seem to have lost track of the necklace, though. Having just finished Outlander, I recall it there. Claire must have taken it with her leaving Lallybroch, because she could try to barter it for help to free Jamie.

IN DIA (view spoiler)

I do not remember it ever being mentioned in Voyager. (view spoiler)

In DOA (view spoiler)

I do not know anything about it in Fiery Cross, it was back again in ABOSAA. (view spoiler)

And finally AEITB: where is it, with Claire or Briana - do we know? I certainly do not.

message 20: by Lori McD (last edited Feb 29, 2012 09:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments Lotte: I remember the bracelet, but now that you mention it, I don't remember what happened to it. Maybe in the group Dragonfly in Amber read we'll re-discover it? I'm about to do a word search thru my Kindle books to find it!

But a nagging something told me that *perhaps* (view spoiler) not sure, but now that you've got me wondering, I'll do the search.

As for the necklace, I thought that Bree still had it. She definitely had it (view spoiler) But interesting question!

Sandy (sandyc88) | 187 comments The necklace is sold at the pawnbroker's in DIA, but it is quickly bought back again. (Thank goodness for the search feature on the Nook!)

message 22: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 326 comments Oh, what a shame ! The spoiler thing does not work whan being copied. Sorry for that, mayby you could look in the other thread. I think we could still read it though not put messages any more, am I right?

Sandy, I've put this in my DIA-spoiler.

Lori, I looked up the ABOSAA bit, it is at the very beginning in chapter 34: (view spoiler)

This is another interesting thing, what Jamie has to pay L. Though I can quite well remember most details of what I read, it is not true for figures. Maybe we should go back to Voyager and put down what they agreed on with Ned Gowan, no much better: this will be something for the Voyager reread, don't you think so?

message 23: by Wendy F, biblioholic (last edited Feb 29, 2012 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3092 comments Well I think it was a settlement for (view spoiler).

message 24: by Lori McD (last edited Feb 29, 2012 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments My issue with Leoghaire is in "Drums", so maybe we ougta move my comments and these answers there? But (view spoiler)

Small thing, but it bugged me when I read it again this time through.

And Wendy... if we move this thread, where does it go? Voyager? Drums? Fiery Cross? LOL - lots of mentions.

message 25: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3092 comments Haha, the safest place would be Echo unless you don't mind marking with spoilers. Otherwise it could go in the Loaghaire thread. (If there isn't one, we should make it, haha)

message 26: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 326 comments Lori wrote: "My issue with Leoghaire is in "Drums", so maybe we ougta move my comments and these answers there? But when L tries to grab the pearl necklace from the table where Bree put it, L claims that she's..."

Yes Lori, your issue is in DOA, but the origin of it is the deal made by Ned Gowan in Voyager. I again collected all my books around me and tried to trace this bit, it seems to be not as convenient as with a Kindle, though. But here it is:

Voyager, pages 585/6 (paperback), towards the end of 1766: (view spoiler)

And then on to DOA, page 125, and June 1767: (view spoiler)

And finally to page 584 and June of the year 1769: (view spoiler)

Does anybody think DG expected the readers to keep track of the money being involved in this separation contract. But that's us! ... this might lead us to keeping track of "the stones" ...

Sussann (Charli309) | 13 comments RE Tina's question, I came at outlander cold, only having briefly read the blurb but never having heard of it otherwise, and I found I had no idea who the hero was was supposed to be until Claire and Jamie actually got married. I suspected Jamie would be a love interest but then Claire speaks of him like he's a child or a much younger brother. Did anyone else get this impression?

message 28: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 937 comments I didn't.

Brunhilde | 158 comments I came to Outlander cold too. At first, I thought maybe she was going to be Captain Jack Black and travel back and forth. I was definitely along for the ride on this one. Once it became obvious I was all about Jamie. Which I assume is what DG was going for and achieved--what a great writer.

message 30: by Carren (new)

Carren Kay | 937 comments While traveling one summer I picked up Drums of Autumn and read the back cover. I realized it was a series and decided to wait until I returned home to start Outlander.
I am so glad I did! What a ride!

message 31: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3092 comments I thought it'd be Dougal, but was confused why the back flap gave the name Jamie.

Sussann (Charli309) | 13 comments I've just started re-reading Outlander and was wondering if DG knew before she started writing who Claire's hero would be or if the writing led her to Jamie. Either way I agree that DG is an incredible author

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments Sussann, that was part of the beauty of Outlander to me... that I wasn't sure the Jamie was the hero until I was well into the book and very much in love with him! He kinda snuck up on me, as I think he did with Claire.

And that, to me, was why I fell in love with Diana G's writing. There's always the unexpected, the sleeper person or event, the villain that just might be part human, and so on. She's not a black-and-white kinda person, and neither are her characters or her stories.

Shelley | 59 comments Sussann wrote: "I've just started re-reading Outlander and was wondering if DG knew before she started writing who Claire's hero would be or if the writing led her to Jamie. Either way I agree that DG is an incred..."

Well said Lori McD! I had to check the back cover of the book to see if Jamie was the love interest... Clair kept seeing that "nice young man" everywhere ;)

message 35: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy | 1 comments I don't see much posted since September, but thought I'd try a question....there seems to be many different opinions about the "violent" sex scene with Jamie and Claire just after he gives her the wedding ring in The Outlander. I have read and re-read this scene and my first reaction was that he was being cruel, but now I have come to the conclusion he loves her so fiercely that he needs to take her in the way he does to tell her she is his and his alone. What are other thoughts on this scene?

message 36: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3092 comments I never saw it as cruel, myself. They said some awful things to each other, and she had just told him that she had no claim on him if he wanted to be with someone else. I think it just made him feel like he needed to show her the claim on each other.

There's nothing wrong with rough sex, imo.

Shirlee (shirlee303) | 4 comments Absolutely, sister! Jamie is innocent yet PRIMAL...(sigh).

Brunhilde | 158 comments what world do I live in? I don't think I would have put that in the category of "rough sex" I thought it was just really really good sex. :)

Shirlee (shirlee303) | 4 comments Honest sex...;-)

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments I admit that I wasn't all that comfortable with that scene the first time I read it, either. Which made me read and re-read that scene a few times to try to figure it out.

I concluded that Jamie & Claire are both very physical people; they tend to express their deepest feelings through touch - and between them, sex. They were both angry and dealing with a lot of their own personal emotional baggage. Claire wasn't quite willing to admit to herself that she could and did love Jamie; she was still conflicted about Frank and feeling very vulnerable. I think she was afraid that perhaps Jamie was only saving his own skin and wanting sex from their marriage.

That scene, as tough as it might be, IMO cemented their commitment to one another. Claire didn't exactly surrender, but she did. Jamie did claim her, but she claimed him, too. And I loved their thoughts when it was over... what Jamie said to her about mastering her, but she'd mastered him, too. And then Claire thinks to herself that Jamie gets it like Frank never did. Wow!

CHC94 | 42 comments I love Jenny Murray. She is so much like Jamie that when they argue, it's entertaining.

CHC94 | 42 comments Help! Can someone tell me the last scene in Outlander? I think I finished the book but am not quite sure. At the end of mine, there is a preview of DIA. I didn't want to tell what I had because I don't know who is on their first reading or 100th.

Shelley | 59 comments The last scene involves a couple bathing in a hot spring underneath the castle...

Erica (ButterflyGirl1975) | 99 comments I am on read #2 of this book (I convinced my husband to read it, so we're reading it together, one chapter at a time) so I am looking forward in joining in the discussion. As far as the rest of the series, I have read DIA, V and DOA...stopped at TFC to give my brain a break!

In my opinion:

Jamie wanted Claire from the first moment she started touching him to bandage his wounds...pretty much right after they met, but as he said, he was burning pretty badly, right? He said later that he loved her from the first time he held her in Castle Leoch shortly after their arrival when she is like, well, yes, no, Frank's dead, I don't know, and just falls apart when she realizes the situation she is in.

As for Claire...well, let's be honest. She kept looking for any excuse to see him from the get-go. Remember the time she went down to the stable to take him food and look at his shoulder and then realized that oops, she forgot to check it? Who could blame her really...between Frank and Jamie, it's no contest on the hotness scale and Jamie is a LOT closer to her age than Frank. As far as the love...well, I think something stirred in her when he said that she had the protection of his body (I mean, let's be honest, that's freaking HOT), she realized she really cared when she walked away to go back to the stones and ended up being captured by the English. The connection that Jamie GOT it and Frank didn't really smacked her in the head. She then finally admitted that she loved him in the thieves' hole. The deal was cemented when she turned back from the stones when he released her and told her to go.

As far as that sex scene after he gives her the ring...well...she DID say that a little pain isn't necessarily a bad thing and she IS the teacher, so who could blame wee Jamie for going after his 23-year-old impulses? Bwahahahaha!!!! I don't think Claire was complaining too much after it got going!

And yeah. I HATE LAOGHAIRE. What a freaking see-you-next-Tuesday.

With that, I look forward to joining in the discussion. :) If we can, please mark any references to TFC (or any of the other books) as spoiler since I haven't read it yet.

CHC94 | 42 comments Thanks, Shelley! That means I did finish the book today. I was reading at lunch and enjoying the sensation of the hot spring (Calgon kind of day) and then it ended.

So I had to make sure I didn't miss anything. On to DIA!

message 46: by Shay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shay (Shaylyn318) | 101 comments Sussann wrote: "RE Tina's question, I came at outlander cold, only having briefly read the blurb but never having heard of it otherwise, and I found I had no idea who the hero was was supposed to be until Claire a..."

Me too. I had heard about Outlander but didn't really know much other than Claire travels back in time. Two years ago I got a Nook for Christmas and not long after that Outlander was free for Nook. SO I snatched it up and started reading. This is gross to think of now but I thought that maybe Dougal was going too be her love interest. I was picturing Jamie as being too young.

message 47: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (longdoglover) | 10 comments i 'read' the series on audible.com with an amazing narrator. i bought it b/c it was on sale.and long, so a good long listen while i was running.. . and that was it.. i was hooked .. Jamie's mixture of warrior and innocence is charming and captivating

message 48: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana (DanaBritt) | 36 comments So I decided to re-read Outlander (my first re-read of it) and am savoring Claire's first sights and impressions of Jamie *sigh*.

I am also reminded that I really liked Dougal in the beginning. It's a lot of fun to see things I didn't see before and enjoy things I really liked the first time around.

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments That's the great part about these books... no matter how many times you read them, you always pick up something new. Or at least I do!

the other courtney | 162 comments Agreed. Dougal was always a tough character to just toss into the "evil" category. His tactics where reprehensible, but you can't say the dude didn't have conviction. He, to me, was the perfect embodiment of Scottish Pride (for the times).

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread