Contemporary Romance discussion

Best and Worst CR ONLY > 2011 Best and Worst Contemporary Romance

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathrynn | 352 comments Mod
Do you have any favorite or not so favorite contemporary romance books published in 2011? List away.

Cynthia Thomason (CynthiaThomason) | 30 comments Kathryn, I need to go check my book pub dates. So many. Will post soon.
Cynthia Thomason

Anne OK | 101 comments Same with me, Kathryn. Need to check out my little notebook and see what remarks I've made beside the books published this year.

Cynthia Thomason (CynthiaThomason) | 30 comments Just started Welcome to Last Chance by Hope Ramsay. Looks very promising. So far reminds me a little of Crazy Heart, a movie I loved.
Cynthia

Kathleen Brooks (Kathleen-Brooks) | 7 comments I really liked Gemma Halliday's Spying in High Heels. I thought it was very funny.

Fran | 36 comments My favorite Contemporary Romances that I read so far that have been published in 2011 are-

Making Waves by Tawna Fenske, Attachments by Rainbow Rowell, Cindy's Doctor Charming (Silhouette Special Edition) by Teresa Southwick, A Lot Like Love (FBI, #2) by Julie James, Turn It Up by Inez Kelley

Koosh | 9 comments I'd say the best I've read this year would be The Sweetest Thing (Lucky Harbor, #2) by Jill Shalvis, Animal Attraction (Animal, #2) by Jill Shalvis, Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James and Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, #2) by E.L. James in no particular order. Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #11) by Kresley Cole too if contemporary PNR can be included.

Hj | 12 comments I discovered Marie Force this year, and really like her books. She has a couple of series, which are excellent, and several stand-alone books. Her Fatal series, which starts with Fatal Affair (Fatal, #1) by Marie Force, had a couple of new books this year (another to follow, I believe). They are excellent if you like some mystery/thriller mixed in with your romance. Purer CRs include Everyone Loves a Hero by Marie Force and The Fall by Marie Force.

Anne OK | 101 comments My favorite contemporary romance this year would be Marie Force's
Treading Water Treading Water (Treading Water Trilogy) by Marie Force

Shirl | 48 comments My favorite CR is "Wife by Wednesday" by Catherine Bybee. Great storyline and great read.
Wife by Wednesday by Catherine Bybee

Ellen (more books, please) (Ellenlovestoread) | 23 comments Hi. Just joined this group so faux pas will abound, I am sure, and new to GR, too, so need to explore how to put the covers of the books on.
But I felt the need to share my fave book of the year. It is set in 1999 so I think it fits the contemporary category. It is "Attachments" by Rainbow Rowell. It has a different premise and I found the writing delightful, the hero different and the heroine believeable and "normal." This book has become my new comfort read. I was hesitant to read it because it sounded as if the hero would give off the creepy stalker vibe but Ms. Rowell handled it just right.
Looking forward to learning others' favorites.

Fran | 36 comments Ellen, Attachments is one of my favorite books too- love it!

Ellen (more books, please) (Ellenlovestoread) | 23 comments YAY. It is not just me. Sometimes when I finish a book and I want to cover it in chocolate and eat it or marry it or leave it money in my will, I wonder if it is any good or if, like liver and onions, I am one of the few people who appreciate it.
Thanks for the validation, Fran.

Hannah | 191 comments Loved A Lot Like Love (FBI, #2) by Julie James by Julie James. My second fave book by her.

And I am almost done with Baby It's Cold Outside (Alaskan Nights, #1) by Addison Fox by Addison Fox. I absolutely love this book. I haven't enjoyed a romance this much since I finished A Lot Like Love. Not sure if it was because I've been in a HUGE reading slump lately and nothing I've read has been that good to me lately or if it really is just THAT GOOD but I adored this book. Can not wait for book 2!

ElaineY | 59 comments Hannah wrote: "Loved A Lot Like Love (FBI, #2) by Julie James by Julie James. My second fave book by her.

And I am almost done with Baby It's Cold Outside (Alaskan Nights, #1) by Addison Fox by Addison Fox. I absolutely love th..."

Thanks, I'll check this out. I've not come across any of her books before.

Shirl | 48 comments Baby it's Cold Outside, sounds like it might be good. I like stories in the wilderness. On my wish list to read. Thanks.

Sandil My favourite contemporary romance so far in 2011 was Animal Attraction (Animal, #2) by Jill Shalvis. A real heart warmer and action packed book. My least favourite ironically by my favourite author was Precious and Fragile Things by Megan Hart. The book ended the only way it could, but was a let down for me. The heroine acted the way she should I suppose but a real b....h to my way of thinking.

ElaineY | 59 comments Sandi l wrote: "My favourite contemporary romance so far in 2011 was Animal Attraction (Animal, #2) by Jill Shalvis. A real heart warmer and action packed book. My least favourite ironically by my favourite author was [b..."

I bought some Jill Shalvis but never got round to reading them. Animal Attraction was one of them so I'll go dig it out and bump it up. I love romances with action in them. Does it have hot sex? I don't mean explicit as in erotica but they do get it on, don't they? I've never read Shalvis so I don't know whether she's a "closed-door" romance writer.

Sandil I think you will be pleased. Sizzle metre is just right. Hot but story is most important. Just the right amount to build the characters and the emotions.

Hannah | 191 comments I'll have to try Animal Attraction. I've heard raves about it. I'm currently reading Simply Irresistible by Shalvis and I love it so far; it's part of the 2 books in 1 with the Sweetest Thing, so once I'm done with that, I'll try Animal Attraction.

Sandil By then Shalvis's Head over Heels will be out. Dec 1 for Canadians. It is the third book in the series you are now reading about the youngest sister and the cop. You will find Animal Attraction a litter spicier than that series. I liked them both.

Ellen (more books, please) (Ellenlovestoread) | 23 comments Just finished the Simply Irresistible and Sweetest Thing. I have had Animal Attraction forever and not opened it. Thanks for reminding me. I will read it next.

Hannah | 191 comments Thanks Sandi! Is Animal Attraction part of a series?

Sandil Yes, it is the second book in the series Animals. The first one was Animal Magnetism (Animal, #1) by Jill Shalvis.
Although they are both rated a 4, I personally liked Attraction more than Magnatism. They both leave you with a warm feeling though. But then I am an animal lover.

Hannah | 191 comments Okay, I'll see if I can get them both. Thanks for the rec!

Jennifer Probst | 13 comments ElaineY wrote: "Hannah wrote: "Loved A Lot Like Love (FBI, #2) by Julie James by Julie James. My second fave book by her.

And I am almost done with Baby It's Cold Outside (Alaskan Nights, #1) by Addison Fox by Addison Fox. I absol..."

Oh, I never read Addison Fox. Must put on list. I adore Julie James FBI series and loved Simply Irrisistable by Shalvis - now will read The Sweetest Thing. Also have Carly Phillips on my TBR - way behind on Serendipity but should be next!

message 27: by Ian (last edited Nov 29, 2011 01:55PM) (new)

Ian (setaian) | 167 comments The best was probably Angel's Rest by Emily March. At least that's the book that immediately springs to mind.
Angel's Rest (Eternity Springs, #1) by Emily March

Best and favorite are not always the same book. I think my favorite book so far this year has been "Bring Me Home For Christmas" by Robyn Carr.
Bring Me Home for Christmas (Virgin River, #16) by Robyn Carr

I've also quite enjoyed the re-release of some older Sherryl Woods books. The Charleston Trilogy, particularly "The Back-up Plan".
The Backup Plan (The Charleston Trilogy, #1) by Sherryl Woods

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cindy's Doctor Charming (other topics)
Attachments (other topics)
Turn It Up (other topics)
A Lot like Love (other topics)
Making Waves (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marie Force (other topics)