Life As We Knew It (Last Survivors, #1) Life As We Knew It discussion

Books like this... ((Spoilers!!))

Comments (showing 1-49 of 49) (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Diana Can anyone recommend more books like this? I love reading YA books about the end of the world but I don't want any zombie books please. Thanks. Also, what did you guys think of this book? I didn't like how the mom kept asking the daughter to stop eating so her brothers could eat, and yet, when the time comes, the daughter is the one who saves everyone and no one even says thank you.

Grandmadee Goodwin There are three books in this series. I just read the last one. The Dead and the Gone is about a family in NYC and then the last is This World We live In deals with both families meeting up. Good reads and well done in audio format.

grandma dee

Abbey I LOVED THAT BOOK!!! i agree though i really hated how like the mom just expected the daughter to do that for that family!! and when she saves them the mom doesnt say thank u

message 4: by Max (new) - rated it 3 stars

Max Mallory Definitely check out the sequel to this, "The Dead and the Gone". It's easily the best in the series.

Diana Thanks guys... Funny thing is my librarian told me not to waste my time on the other two in the series, she claimed they were garbage. I will give them a try.

Megan You might like Micheal Grant's Gone and the books that follow it. Or John Marsden's Tomorrow, When the War Began series. Both are end of the world-ish with no zombies.

Diana Megan wrote: "You might like Micheal Grant's Gone and the books that follow it. Or John Marsden's Tomorrow, When the War Began series. Both are end of the world-ish with no zombies."

Thanks Megan, I will add them to my list!

Grandmadee Goodwin I absolutely agree that The Dead and the Gone is the better of all three books. The kids in that one work together with faith and integrity despite their hardships. VERY good morals!

Abbey wait. theres a sequel??

Abbey its a series? I DIDNT NO THat

Elizabeth I think you would really like Into the Forest by Jean Hegland. Its the story of two sisters who find themselves alone in their family's cabin in the woods when society collapses.

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff is about a girl and her cousin alone on their farmhouse when war breaks out and they are cut off from the world.

Happy Reading! :)

Caitlin Abbey wrote: "wait. theres a sequel??"

The one is a companion:The Dead and the Gone and the last one combinds the first two books This World We Live In.

Diana Elizabeth wrote: "I think you would really like Into the Forest by Jean Hegland. Its the story of two sisters who find themselves alone in their family's cabin in the woods when society collapses.

[bo..."

Thanks for the recommendations :)

Regina I highly recommend Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin it is brilliant.

Diana Regina wrote: "I highly recommend Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin it is brilliant."

I totally want to read this but my library doesn't have it, I need to request it. Thanks for reminding me.

Regina Definitely try to locate a copy. I loved it.

message 17: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim I highly recommend the Wool series of short stories by Hugh Howey. You can check on them here........ http://www.goodreads.com/series/70647...

message 18: by Gertie (last edited Feb 01, 2012 02:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gertie The Wool series is great; it doesn't have a similar feel to Life As We Knew It (isn't YA) but it is post-apocalyptic. Some would call it dystopic.

You might also like:

Half Way Home

Half Way Home by Hugh Howey

Angelfall

Angelfall by Susan Ee
Creepier than I expected.

Diana Gertie wrote: "The Wool series is great; it doesn't have a similar feel to Life As We Knew It (isn't YA) but it is post-apocalyptic. Some would call it dystopic.

You might also like:

[book:Half Way Home|8428985..."

I am going to try Angelfall, Thanks for the recommendation.

Gertie Great, I hope you like it!

Chin123 Well there is the Roar which is about the world disasters but more like science fiction.

message 22: by Suge (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suge You guys are giving me so much ideas for books I want to read next.

message 23: by David (new)

Steph I would be the happiest person in the world if Pfefer decided to make a fourth book about how things went after the tornado. Did everything go back to normal? Did Miranda and Alex end up happy together? Too many questions!!!!

Kimberly try Swan Song by Robert McGammon :) I loved it.
The Stand by Stephen King is another Favorite
they aren't young adult but they are still good. Robopocalypse was interesting if you like that type. The Road is alot like this one but a little more depressing and again is not YA

Frances The Uglies series is very good.

That was kinda annoying. I didn't like her mom very much.

Kristy I read the book "One Second After" By William Forstchen.One Second After
It is about a family living in NC when an EMP goes off over America. I gave it 5 stars.

Nancy Brady Shrader Marks: Keelhouse by Rob Smith is somewhat similar. An asteroid hits the earth and nuclear winter sets in, but not before a flotilla of sailors makes their way to a place when ice age peoples lived. This is a two-volume saga (an updated Night Voices and its sequel Keelhouse that takes place five years later). I loved the characters in both.

message 29: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica a good series is Matched by Ally Condie
i want to know what happens in the end of Life As We Knew It. if NASA gets the moon back in place and everything turns back to normal, or if they all die.

message 30: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica Steph wrote: "I would be the happiest person in the world if Pfefer decided to make a fourth book about how things went after the tornado. Did everything go back to normal? Did Miranda and Alex end up happy toge..."

there are too many questions that i want to know the answers to.

message 31: by Bryana (new)

Bryana I Recommend Surving the Fog by stan morris.

Molly For those complaining that the mom and her brothers never thanked Miranda after she saved them. We're not sure of that. They may have, but if they did, Miranda never wrote about it in her diary.

Shanna_redwind Z for Zachariah is a good one set after a nuclear war.

message 34: by Jess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jess Diana wrote: "Can anyone recommend more books like this? I love reading YA books about the end of the world but I don't want any zombie books please. Thanks. Also, what did you guys think of this book? I didn't ..."

Hi Diana, Pure by Julianna Baggott is a good book and set to be a trilogy. ;)

message 35: by John (last edited Dec 20, 2012 12:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Diana wrote: "Can anyone recommend more books like this? I love reading YA books about the end of the world but I don't want any zombie books please. Thanks. Also, what did you guys think of this book? I didn't ..."

what about Ashfall.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/96...

Sandra Good recommendations, indeed. However, what I loved most about this series is the descriptions of foraging/food rationing/general survival. Does anyone have recommendations based on that?

message 37: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica Sandra wrote: "Good recommendations, indeed. However, what I loved most about this series is the descriptions of foraging/food rationing/general survival. Does anyone have recommendations based on that?"
mabye

The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe or Quarantine: The Loners
by Lex Thomas

Cateline Jim wrote: "I highly recommend the Wool series of short stories by Hugh Howey. You can check on them here........ http://www.goodreads.com/series/70647..."

I read that on my kindle...very good, I'd second that recommendation.

Michael Gilmore I recomend Ashfall series, Enclave, Divergent, Breathe by Sara Crosan. There is another book in this series coming soon!!! Can't wait.

Sandra I just finished the first two books in the Ashfall series... It was excellent!

Michael Gilmore Both of them are very suspenseful. I always wanted more. Shame we have to wait so long.

Oliver Optic You might try two older books by John Christopher, 'The Death of Grass' and The World in Winter'.

Oliver Optic And my favorite

Earth Abides: George R. Stewart

Stacy  okun Try the Delirium Series by Lauren Oliver. its about a government that declared "Love " a sickness and made a cure for it, but the main character will not have it! She goes to into the "Wild". there is a love triangle, survival and suspense. I seriously couldn't put them down..

Anastasia Inkyfingers WAIT. It's a SERIES! I LOVED that book!

Sandra Found another book you all may enjoy: The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe.

Jenny Martinez Abbey wrote: "wait. theres a sequel??"
noo...

Raygun jones whats the sequel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kimberly 1. Life as We Knew it.
2. The Dead and the Gone.
3. This World We Live in.

the first was the best, the other 2 are ok.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Life As We Knew It (other topics)
Tomorrow, When the War Began (other topics)
Gone (other topics)
Into the Forest (other topics)
How I Live Now (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ally Condie (other topics)
Megan Crewe (other topics)
Lex Thomas (other topics)