What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

Too Soon to Say Good-Bye
This topic is about Too Soon to Say Good-Bye
Children's/YA-SOLVED > YA from early-80s, girl with leukemia(?)... [s]

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Recynd | 18 comments ...and her family will only tell her that "there's something wrong with her blood".

I remember that the girl was described as being thin, with dark hair, and lots of bruises. And there was a graphic (or seemed that way) scene where she gets bone marrow sucked out of her sternum for transplanting...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 220 comments A Summer to Die by Lois Lowry?

Vanessa | 14 comments I know that the protagonist in "A Summer to Die" - Meg - was a brunette, but her sister Molly (who had leukemia) was supposed to have golden curly hair, so perhaps it is not that one. There was the bit where she gets out of bed in her nightgown and has bruises all over her legs.

message 4: by Crystal (last edited Nov 20, 2007 11:42PM) (new)

Crystal (Crystalline) | 3 comments It sounds like a Lurlene McDaniel book. Maybe "To Live Again," or another one in the Dawn Rochelle series. Those are about a 12 or 13-year-old girl who gets leukemia.

It was strange looking it up; they've republished and recovered all the books. They all look very similar. :\

Kristin | 9 comments Does the girl talk about how she can't stop reading any book she starts because she worries that she'll die in her sleep and never find out the ending and then that's exactly what happens? I remember that this was the most disturbing part of the book I read as a kid (whether it's the same book or not, I don't know). The one I'm thinking of is based on a true story and I think the girl was an only child because only remember hearing about her mom, not any siblings.

Jennifer Romesburg | 5 comments Oh, One I can help out with! I just finished reading it and it's called Too Soon to Say Good-Bye by Deborah Kent. :)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1379 comments Weird: Too Soon to Say Good-Bye

I can't imagine that this book has only 10 pages. If anyone knows anything about it, please update the information or ask for it to be updated at the Goodreads Librarians group: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2...

Thanks.

Kate (katespofford) | 219 comments I fixed the record for "Too Soon..." It's actually 206 pages.

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1379 comments Thanks, Kate. Now we'll wait to hear back from Recynd.

Recynd | 18 comments Oh my...I never came back! I don't know if the book was "A Summer to Die" or "Too Soon to Say Goodbye"...I faintly recall the bruises on the girl's legs, but more clearly, I remember the family telling the girl that there was "something wrong with [her] blood". There was also a really grim scene where she had to have a bone marrow test and they sucked it out of her sternum (*shudder*).

Anyway, thank you (belatedly) to everybody who responded. It has been a difficult couple of years.

message 11: by Misty (last edited Feb 17, 2012 10:28PM) (new)

Misty (StarPhoenix) | 92 comments Sounds like one of the "One Last Wish" novels by Lurlene McDaniels. There's an entire series of them and several deal with girls who have cancer.

Angela | 62 comments I can rule out "A Summer to Die" as it was a favorite that I read many times--the part about the bone marrow being extracted from the sternum is definitely not from that one.

Amber | 126 comments Angela Ambrosia by Ray Errol Fox was about a teenager that I believe had leukemia. It's been years since I read it, but she did have dark hair.

Jennifer Romesburg | 5 comments In Too Soon to Say Goodbye, she goes into detail about the bone marrow. She talks about a searing pain through her chest when they stick the needle in.

Jillian (myasianself) | 30 comments Hmm...although I don't recall anything about bone marrow, does it happen to be A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks? I don't think it is but is it a possibility?

Recynd | 18 comments I bet it was Too Soon to Say Goodbye...definitely not A Walk to Remember or Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes. I'm sure I read A Summer to Die way back when, too...

Kate Farrell | 1084 comments Mod
Recynd, are you sure enough it is Too Soon to Say Goodbye that we should move this to the Solved folder?

Recynd | 18 comments Whether or not we got the right book, let's call it solved. THANK YOU all for your help!!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes (other topics)