SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Old, Closed Posts > Member's Choice

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments We have a new thing happening around here at the SciFi and Fantasy Book Club -- our monthly Member's Choice book.

Expanding to three books has been going well, so we thought we would make it official. Every month will now have a Random pick, a Theme pick and a Member pick.

We will start with my pick for November discussion, which I will reveal on October 22, 2011. Then it will be Ala's pick for December, and Cindy's pick for January.

Then, starting in February -- in the same order -- we will be choosing members to pick books. So I will pick a member for February, Ala will pick a member for March, Cindy will pick a member for April, etc. And that member, the person we choose, will pick the book to read and will lead the discussion.

So hang onto your potatoes, we going for a ride.

message 2: by Kim, The Zinoviev (new)

Kim | 963 comments Mod
Sounds interesting. Not sure about going up to 3 books though. Hopefully all 3 aren't really big. Also hopefully it won't dilute the discussions too much. I've noticed they're rather quiet this month.

message 3: by Paul 'Pezski' (new)

Paul 'Pezski' Perry (Pezski) | 134 comments Sounds good. While I doubt I'll often read all three (I don't often read both choices now) I think it will increase the chances of people being involved in at least one of the discussions.

Looking forward to it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

That's what I hope will happen, Paul.

message 5: by Brad (last edited Oct 21, 2011 06:45AM) (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments And I have chosen, The City and the City, by China Miéville. So I will lead the November discussion. Fun!

message 6: by Genia (new)

Genia Lukin Ooh, excellent. I just acquired the book, and it's sitting there, eyeing me.

message 7: by Kevin (last edited Oct 21, 2011 09:16AM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 801 comments Brad wrote: "And I have chosen, The City and the City, by China Miéville. So I will lead the November discussion. Fun!"

Not a bad choice. I been trying to get a discussion going on the book.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 542 comments That's a good choice. Well, a choice I like. Functionally indistinguishable, from where I sit! ;)

message 9: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (Tantara) Brad wrote: "And I have chosen, The City and the City, by China Miéville. So I will lead the November discussion. Fun!"

Ah, I loved that one. I'd be happy to re-visit it!

message 10: by Richard (new)

Richard (ThinkingBlueCountingTwo) | 241 comments Blast! I've got 5 books by China Miéville, and that aint one of them.
This is gonna cost me some cold hard spending cash, my OCD requires me to match the book types, and the others are all First Editions.

Holding you personally responsible Brad for my kids not having any shoes to wear this winter.

message 11: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments Are they younger than 7? I'll send you some hand me downs.

message 12: by Richard (new)

Richard (ThinkingBlueCountingTwo) | 241 comments Brad wrote: "Are they younger than 7? I'll send you some hand me downs."

I'd rather you sent me a signed UK First Edition of The City and the City, but shoes would be good too.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 801 comments Richard wrote: "Brad wrote: "Are they younger than 7? I'll send you some hand me downs."

I'd rather you sent me a signed UK First Edition of The City and the City, but shoes would be good too."

My local library has a signed first edition second priting US version of The City & The City.

message 14: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (psramsey) | 298 comments YAY - I have The City and the City on the shelf from my Borders (RIP) binge. Looking forward to reading it.

message 15: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 14 comments Brad wrote: "And I have chosen, The City and the City, by China Miéville. So I will lead the November discussion. Fun!"

I'll nip over to my e-bookstore and download it. Looking forward to the discussion.

Maureen O. Betita

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 542 comments For those thinking of buying a dead tree version ... I think the trade paperback release is a better pick. It's got an interesting interview with the author in the back.

message 17: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (kelleyls) | 16 comments I've been in this group for a while, but this will be my first group read. I've heard great things about this book from lots of friends.

message 18: by Amanda (new)

Amanda I was going to read Anansi Boys, but I'm having to abandon it in favour of this read. I don't have time for both and whereas I have just finished Coraline, I have never read Mieville.

message 19: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments We're having issues at the moment creating a new folder for The City and the City. I fear that we may have to kill one of our ancient, archived discussions, which I would hate to do, so please be patient fellow readers. I will get our City and the City discussion going asap.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 542 comments That would be unfortunate ... but maybe older discussions could be organized by annual folders called "2009" or whatever. Not optimal, but better than total deletion.

message 21: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 477 comments This is a great idea! It's always interesting to see wht people will pick when it's their choice...

message 22: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments Glad you like the idea, Maggie.

And yours is a good idea, Sid. We'll probably go that way if there isn't something we're doing wrong of if we've actually maxed out. We're looking into those possibilities now.

message 23: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 1640 comments Discussion is now underway. Come join the fun.

message 24: by Penelope (new)

Penelope | 2 comments I recommend:

LightMasters  Number 13 by M.G. Wells

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Welp.

If you are ever chosen as the member of the month, you'll get to decide what book the group reads.

But, in order to be chosen, you kind of have to participate first.

Just fyi.

message 26: by Penelope (new)

Penelope | 2 comments Ala wrote: "Welp.

If you are ever chosen as the member of the month, you'll get to decide what book the group reads.

But, in order to be chosen, you kind of have to participate first.

Just fyi."

Thanks. I just joined and still learning how all this works.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

No rush, take your time.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The City & the City (other topics)
The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America (other topics)
Number 13 (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

China Miéville (other topics)