The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Audio book - recommendations needed

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

MarieJane (MarieJaneB) | 7 comments Would anyone be able to recommend an audio book? Thanks to the S&L sponsor I have a free download but am a little overwhelmed by the choice. I have never listened to an audio book before ...

terpkristin | 2693 comments What kind of book are you interested in? Do you have a genre in mind?

I've been a subscriber since 2005 or so and have a ton in my collection I'd recommend. There is a thread here about favorite narrators, that's a good place to start.

Books I got from Audible that I particularly enjoyed and I THINK are one credit:
American Gods 10th anniversary recording (Neil Gaiman)
Anansi Boys (Neil Gaiman)
Bossypants (Tina Fey)
The Curse of Chalion (Lois McMaster Bujold; this is the first in a series but is quite good as a stand-alone)
Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card)
Ender's Shadow (Orson Scott Card)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Stieg Larsson; the narration is really good)
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams; the version narrated by Stephen Fry is fantastic)
The Final Empire: Mistborn Book 1 (Brandon Sanderson; also first in a trilogy...ish)
Ready Player One (Earnest Cline; I presume you read this already though)
Shadow Divers (Robert Kurson; non-fiction book but it's pretty interesting)
The Diamond Age (Neal Stephenson)
The Night Circus (Erin Morgenstern; this is a new book and it's fantastic)

Also good but I'm not sure if it's 1 credit or 2:
The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)
The Blade Itself (Joe Abercrombie; first in a trilogy)
Eragon (Christopher Paolini; the book itself isn't that great but Gerard Doyle does a great narration, also the first in a 4-book series)
The Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss; first in a trilogy)

I've also got the Discworld books and Pern books in my queue but haven't listened to any of them, along with Lev Grossman's The Magicians. I know Tom likes The Magicians.

Also, I like the narrator Grover Gardner, but he reads a lot of mystery-type books (I'm partial to the Andy Carpenter series by David Rosenfelt...they're kind of a guilty pleasure).

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1775 comments I second terpkristin's votes for Ready Player One and The Night Circus.

I also really liked The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman.

MarieJane (MarieJaneB) | 7 comments I am downloading The Night Circus now (very intriguing summary on audible)

Thank you for your suggestions :)

Docxen | 19 comments try your local library website you can get free ebooks/audio books online from them.

Sandi (Sandikal) | 1094 comments Marie wrote: "I am downloading The Night Circus now (very intriguing summary on audible)

Thank you for your suggestions :)"

I just finished that one a few days ago. It's an excellent audiobook.

Derek Knox (snokat) | 274 comments Night Circus was great. Not often I come across a book I feel needs to be shared with everyone I know, regardless of what type of books they prefer. It's one of those books that transcends it's genre, like Stardust.

xenphilos Dune by Frank Herbert is also great. They have multiple narrators and it plays out more like a radio drama.

Tamahome | 4345 comments xenphi wrote: "Dune by Frank Herbert is also great. They have multiple narrators and it plays out more like a radio drama."

Parts of it are single narrator, right?

Walter (walterwoods) | 144 comments I'm just going to reiterate one of terpkristin's picks: the Stephen Fry narrated version "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is really good. I'd read the book twice and I still loved listening to him read it.

Tim (ZeroGain) | 91 comments Tamahome wrote: "xenphi wrote: "Dune by Frank Herbert is also great. They have multiple narrators and it plays out more like a radio drama."

Parts of it are single narrator, right?"

The unabridged version fills in with single narrator. This can be jarring as you move from the acted voice of Lady Jessica to the male narrator, and while the narrator is good, it feels chaotic at times.

I am a huge fan of Jonathan Davis as a narrator, and have picked books because he narrated them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan...

Bob Shacklock (Shack) | 102 comments The Blade Itself and the next 2 books are fantastic audio books!

David Watkins | 5 comments Marie wrote: "I am downloading The Night Circus now (very intriguing summary on audible)

Thank you for your suggestions :)"

Great choice.

Jonathan Cate | 54 comments Bob wrote: "The Blade Itself and the next 2 books are fantastic audio books!"

I totally agree. The narrator really brings the characters to life. Each of Abercrombie's books are well done as audiobooks.

Also, I just started reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen series (almost finished with Book 1) by Steven Erikson and I think these books would be great audiobooks. Does anyone know if audiobooks have been made and if so, where can I find them?

Thanks in advance.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Stardust (other topics)
Dune (other topics)
The Blade Itself (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Frank Herbert (other topics)