The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer discussion

Favorite "Unbecoming of Mara Dyer" moments

Comments (showing 1-50 of 86) (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Paulie The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin is just an EPIC book. It has everything you could ask for in a book. I really loved each second of it :))

Ryan I did also. I adore this book so so much. You never knew what was going to happen next. And I also adore Noah!

Noura I loved the book i couldn't but it down finished it in one day. I love Noah's character. I can't wait for the second book to come out

Ryan I know. I couldn't put it down either. And I got to the end and I was like what!!! I have to wait for the next book. I'm still trying to figure out if all the "killing" power is coming from Mara though. I think she does have some power, but at the end I think that lady would have shot the killer regardless. I think just because she does thinks about killing somebody doesn't mean its actually going to happen. I don't know.

Paulie I'm curious about Claire's brother, Jude right? is he really alive?

Ryan I think he is b/c they never found his body and I also think that he has something to do with her power.

The Unicorn Riding Faerie[Vee] Yea, she saw him and she has to find some way to get rid of him because, he knows what happened in the asylum.

Melissa I thought the book was amazing! Idk if Jude is still alive but he might be - who knows maybe he was inadvertently connected to the collapse of the asylum.

Favorite funny moment: When Noah is reading childhood stories to Mara and he makes them dirty and perverted.

Oh and I loved Daniel and Joseph. They were pretty funny.

The Unicorn Riding Faerie[Vee] Jude did get out of the asylum. That is why they couldnt find Jude's body.
Fave moment: When Mara is dreaming and she has that dream of her with animal crackers on the bed.

message 10: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan I think Jude is somehow connected the Mara and her power. I think if he was gone perhaps her power will be gone too. Or I think that if she actually let Noah kiss her, that that might be the way for him to cure her. lol. I dont know. I just know I absolutely loved the book. <3

Brandy I loved this book. It made me seriously jump amd look behind me as if I were the one looking in the mirror. The animal crackers in the bed are definately a favorite scene. I love the tension between Mara and Noah. And WTH Jude is alive???? Gahhhh when do we get the next one. Im dying over here.

Perla What's the animal crackers in the bed scene again? I need to reread the story so it isn't fresh in my memory.

message 13: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana I totally loved the book. I don't know if Jude is really alive or not. Which of her visions were real and which were fake? Is everything paranormal or is it all psychosis? I hope the next book comes out soon and is as good as this one.

Mikayla So at the end, does Mara leave Noah?
Like dump him?

message 15: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan Im not sure. I know he said that if she did shoot that guy that she would become a different person and that he couldnt be with her. I could be wrong but I think that maybe if she actually let Noah kiss her she probably would have been cured.

The Unicorn Riding Faerie[Vee] If that happens, i hope he doesn't kiss her. JUDE IS ALIVE! SHE SAW HIM IN MIAMI IN THE POLICE STATION!!!

message 17: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan I know right. I think he might have something to do with her powers too, maybe if Jude wasnt alive she wouldnt have the powers? lol. I think about it too much.

The Unicorn Riding Faerie[Vee] yea I always find myself always thinking about this book while readings others.

message 19: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan Im always like that when I just absolutely loved the book.

The Unicorn Riding Faerie[Vee] I'm reading it again.

message 21: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan lol. I already did. and then I have skim to the best parts of the book when I find myself thinking about it. :D

Kaitlin Taylor ok! I love this book so much but why did i have to read it just days after it came out?!?! It is to good to wait a year to read the next! why must they make us wait!?!

Cindy i wanna read the next book!!! i wish it will come out faster!!!!

message 24: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan Oh I know. I cant wait. grrr...lol.

message 25: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim What!!!! There a new book coming out. Whoa, did not see that coming.

The Unicorn Riding Faerie[Vee] yea next year around Sept.

Kaitlin Taylor why cant they put it out sooner!! i can't wait any longer!!! Is it actually Jude?!?!

Mikayla cant wait either for the second one! i just hate it when i read the first one and then the second one takes like another year to come out.
oh well..(sigh) "good things take time"

"That's All" Ash “Have you kissed many boys before?" he asked quietly.
His question brought my mind back into focus. I raised an eyebrow. "Boys? That's an assumption."
Noah laughed, the sound low and husky. "Girls, then?"
"No."
"Not many girls? Or not many boys?"
"Neither," I said. Let him make of that what he would.
"How many?"
"Why—"
"I am taking away that word. You are no longer allowed to use it. How many?"
My cheeks flushed, but my voice was steady as I answered. "One."
At this, Noah leaned in impossibly closer, the slender muscles in his forearm flexing as he bent his elbow to bring himself nearer to me, almost touching. I was heady with the proximity of him and grew legitimately concerned that my heart might explode. Maybe Noah wasn't asking. Maybe I didn't mind. I closed my eyes and felt Noah's five o' clock graze my jaw, and the faintest whisper of his lips at my ear.
"He was doing it wrong.”

Ummm.... SWOON!!

Kimberly Jude is definitely alive! They never found his body and I also believe he is connected with Mara's powers. My favorite character was Mara and I'm absolutely in love with Noah's character. I really hope Noah and Mara aren't over. I can't wait for the next book. I have to know what happens. This book is addictive.

"That's All" Ash I think Jude definitely has his own kind of power. I also have a theory that he was kind of the agent with Mara's hallucinations (the earrings...the mirrors...etc.). I also think that Mara's power is fueled with emotion; any kind... fear, lust, hatred. Which is why when she kissed Noah, she almost killed him! :S

Rabby My favourite moments: Trogdor being drawn by whatshisface (though without a direct name being given; if you know Trogdor, you know he was drawing him!) and when Mara refers to the slutty Gryffindor girls at the party. XD I love my heroine to seem like a fan of reading (even if there are movies, I think there was another HP reference, so... there.) because it makes her seem very three-dimensional. You can be awesome AND read. HUZZAH!

Kimberly Ash wrote: "I think Jude definitely has his own kind of power. I also have a theory that he was kind of the agent with Mara's hallucinations (the earrings...the mirrors...etc.). I also think that Mara's power ..."

Oh I didn't even think about that but now that I am I completely agree. Jude's powers is definitely what's causing Mara's hallucinations. In all honesty I hope he plays a much bigger part in the next book and I hope Noah kicks his ass (: Anyone else swooning over Noah??

Melissa Ughh!! I dont want her to have some hallucination of Jude and then la-de-dah---back to her old life...
I WANT ACTION! ROMANCE! ALL THAT SHADDA-BANG!! i really hope the second one is as good as the first...lots of debut authors lack on their second book
Favorite part of the book:
starting from when she met Noah..:D

Melissa Ash wrote: "“Have you kissed many boys before?" he asked quietly.
His question brought my mind back into focus. I raised an eyebrow. "Boys? That's an assumption."
Noah laughed, the sound low and husky. "Girl..."

persistent isnt he

"That's All" Ash Mel wrote: "Ash wrote: "“Have you kissed many boys before?" he asked quietly.
Noah laughed, the sound low and ..."

He IS! I love it!

Kimberly I don't think that if she;s beats Jude her life will go back to normal. The hallucinations might stop but she will still have her powers. I hope in the next book her powers are extended on and there is more to them then just killing.

"That's All" Ash I don't think her power is just killing... I think she has the ability to control situations with her imagination. I just think in the first book that's all she figured out about her power, that it only caused killing. But I'm pretty sure it can be used for benevolence as well. :D

Marshanah I looooooooooooooooove this book sooooooo much! Like, it was just FREAKIN' amazing! I absolutely love Noah. The book was part romance, part humorous, part suspenseful, part action-packed, and part scary. There were moments I laughed so hard, I cried. I was so surprised about her powers. The ending was too much for me. Her boyfriend, Jude, was behind all the crap that'd been happening. He wasn't dead! Noah kept saying he'd seen someone wearing a watch copying something and at the end she saw him wearing one. He was creepy as hell!

Marshanah Books this great only come rarely. This is so much better than Twilight! Also, while reading this book, I kept listening to the song "Destroy Everything You Touch" by Ladytron. I think the song fits perfectly for this book. I imagine the song being played during that party scene. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTTwlA...

message 41: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay When Mara killed the dog owner

daydreamer the first journey to his house, i felt Mara become more herself and developed as a character, we could really see both their personalities :)

Lydia I do think Jude is alive but at the same moment it confuses me because everything Mara wished to be dead died and she wishes that Jude would die.. so I'm guessing he has something to do with her "powers "

Marshanah Lydia wrote: "I do think Jude is alive but at the same moment it confuses me because everything Mara wished to be dead died and she wishes that Jude would die.. so I'm guessing he has something to do with her "p..."

Yeah, I was confused about that too. I still loved the book. It is one of those rare good books that a person finds.

message 45: by B (last edited Jun 05, 2012 02:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

B Nevin It's obvious Jude is still alive. They didn't find a body. And I bet he has powers of his own and maybe he sees Mara as a threat to his own powers. I think that he's responsible for her hallucinations too. And omg, I wonder what would happen if Mara kissed Noah. I bet she wouldn't kill him. Infact, I think that she only imagined him dead because Jude didn't want them to kiss or something. I'm only guessing here. And no way are Mara and Noah over. They can't be! I think Noah and Mara will get back together, and hopefully soon because I don't want to be waiting around in the second book for Noah to appear. *rant over*

message 46: by Marshanah (last edited Jun 05, 2012 04:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marshanah B wrote: "It's obvious Jude is still alive. They didn't find a body. And I bet he has powers of his own and maybe he sees Mara as a threat to his own powers. I think that he's responsible for her hallucinati..."

How the hell could he have powers? I mean, he died but that doesn't neccessarily mean that he's gonna come back and be super villan of the year. Though, the hallucinations theory is something to think about....I don't think she'd kill Noah either if Mara kissed him. Doesn't her killing power only occur when she wishes harm against someone else or thinks about someone dying? I doubt she'd think about Noah's death. And they broke up? I don't remember that.... And when did Mara imagine Noah dead? I'm sorry, I forget those things happening.

message 47: by B (new) - rated it 5 stars

B Nevin Marshanah wrote: "B wrote: "It's obvious Jude is still alive. They didn't find a body. And I bet he has powers of his own and maybe he sees Mara as a threat to his own powers. I think that he's responsible for her h..."

At one stage Mara imagined Noah dead right before she was about to kiss him. And she freaked out because she thought he was dead. I think it was the near end of the book. And I think Jude could have powers over the reason why Mara has hallucinations. And I never said he was evil or anything, just that he's probably supernatural too. And yeah, I'll try to refresh your memory; at the end when Mara's dad was shot Noah left her because he didn't want to be with someone who would try to harm others (or something like that, it's been ages since I read it too!)

message 48: by Ella (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ella Book Butterfly I love Mara's witty remarks to Noah, like the asshat/asscrown thing, it's kinda cute!! of course my favorite moments are those when Noah's being sweet to Mara, his character is 'swoonworthy'

The suspense is killing me too!!!! I can't wait for the second book!!! >_< I exclaimed a big OMG when Mara saw Jude!! what the heck was that?!!

Marshanah B wrote: "Marshanah wrote: "B wrote: "It's obvious Jude is still alive. They didn't find a body. And I bet he has powers of his own and maybe he sees Mara as a threat to his own powers. I think that he's res..."

Really? I thought he was mad becuz she wouldn't kiss him. I know her dad got shot and I think Noah was there. Then Mara left the hospital to go to the police department. Then thatz when she saw Jude. I don't remember that. I gotta re-read the ending.

Krista Holle Remember the letter at the beginning where Mara says that's not her real name? Theories?

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (other topics)