UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Craft and Cooking (Recipes) > The Locked Recipe Thread - yum!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 100) (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Jan 16, 2012 03:22PM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments I've gone through the recipe thread and copied the recipes in here so they'll be easier to find. If I've missed any out, please let me know. I'll add any new recipes here as they're added to the recipe thread.

Also here's a how-to print out a recipe from a kindle book from our lovely Pat (Scorpio)

With your kindle open at the recipe, use the 5-way control to move the curser to the start.
Click the centre to start highlight.
Use right direction to go to the end of recipe and then click centre of control.

Return to library and see My Clippings at top of list.
Check all the recipe is there.

Connect kindle to PC.
Go to My Computer on PC
Click on Kindle drive
It will open with 4 folders.
Click on the Document folder
It will open and all your books will be visible
Scroll down to MY Clippings

Open my clippings and highlight all text.
Right click and copy all text.
Close folders
Remove kindle from PC

Open Word, New Document
Paste into document and save as (what ever the recipe is called)
Print out recipe.

To remove My Clippings from kindle. Right click on Clippings
Scroll down to Delete this document.
Click centre, click centre again.

That will remove the recipe and Clippings from your kindle (but not from the book).

Hope you can understand how to do it. It is all safe to do and if I can do it so can you all.

Please note the title of the recipe book and the author are also saved to word with the recipe.

Hummus

1 x tin of chickpea (dried and rehydrated not so good)
2 x teaspoon Tahini;
4+ Tablespoons Olive oil: (Add enough to make it the right consistency for you.)
1 teaspoon: Lazy Garlic;
3+ Teaspoons: Lemon juice.
Blend until smooth. You now have a huge portion of Hallumi for about 1/2 the price from the shops.

Serve with sliced pitta / french bread, crackers, crudités

Variations:
To HALF the above mixture add:
5 stoned black olives (or green) - blend.

or

1 BIG teaspoon: Lazy Chilli (vary to your taste);
2/3 squirts Chilli Dipping sauce.

All should be covered if prepared early and chilled. Keeps a day or two in the fridge.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Melon & Ginger Slap

4 Portions:

Half any ripe melon you like - deseed and blitz in blender.
Chill in fridge for 1-2 hours.

Add either:
3 oz green ginger wine or

3 oz good ginger beer - vary quantities as you like.

Serve in shot glasses with a chunk of crystallized stem ginger as decoration.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Something I frequently make to go with hummus is baba ganoush.

Wash then roast a couple of medium sized aubergine (eggplant) until they're flat and all gooey inside. Be sure to stab them a few times before putting them in the oven or they may explode.

Let them cool a bit then scrape the insides into your food processor. Add a couple of spoons of tahini, lemon juice and a few cloves of garlic then whiz til smooth-ish. Salt to taste. Bit of chili if desired. Serve with warm homemade pita, hummus, Greek salad and a small bowl of best quality olive oil.

My homemade pita is dead easy. I just throw together a batch of pizza dough in my bread machine, roll it out, put it onto a holey pizza pan then lightly brush it all over with olive oil. Sometimes sprinkle it with dried herbs like oregano or basil. Bake it on a very high heat for 5 or 10 minutes but watch it carefully. It can go from golden to hard and dark brown in seconds.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Potato Bread

when i say its not been tried and tested i mean that i havent made it yet but my family has and i hope they wouldnt give me a rubbish recipe.

450g potatoes
30g butter
1tsp salt
100g plain flour

Peel and cut potatoes into small piece and boil for 20 mins.
Mash potatoes (must be no lumps) and add butter and salt
Add flour, not all may be needed depending on potatoes but must make a stiff dough.
Roll out till its 0.5cm thick and cut into slices.
Cook on a hot frying pan sprinkled with flour (to prevent sticking) no oil is needed (cooking not frying)
Turn occassionally and wait for it to turn golden brown

and thats time to go to work :o)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments I've just thought of a recipe to share! It's not mine but belongs to St Delia and is from her Complete Cookery Course. I made this a lot last year too and froze it in batches - will start again soon as the cooking apples are nearly ready to pick! Recipe copied directly from the book:-

CLASSIC APPLE SAUCE
(serves 4-6 people)

This is a very British sauce - probably because Bramling Seedling and Cox's apples are only to be found here. Together they make the very best combination.

8oz/225g Bramley apples
8oz/225g Cox's apples
3/4 oz/20g caster sugar
2 tablespoons water

Peel, core and slice the apples as thinly as possible, straight into a good solid saucepan. Then sprinkle in the sugar, add the water and put a tight-fitting lid on. Stew the apples for about 15 minutes over a very gentle heat or until they are soft and fluffy (the Cox's take the longer time). Stir them once or twice during the cooking, and when they are ready beat to a puree with a large fork, then pour into a warmed sauce boat. This is also excellent with roast duck and lightly smoked cured pork.

:0)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments A quick and easy recipe..

Sponge cake -

Take a bowl and put some Golden Syrup in the bottom (as much as you want).

Take another bowl and add -
1/4 cup of butter
1/4 cup of white sugar
1/3 cup of self raising flour
1 egg
2 tablespoons of milk.

Whisk it together, then add it to the bowl of syrup (dont mix it, just layer it on top).
Stick it in the microwave for around 3 and a half minutes, and serve! (:

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Found it in my email!

The most dangerous cake recipe
5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
a small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high). The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.  EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).

And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world? Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

;)

message 8: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Oct 17, 2011 12:51AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Quick pudding

1 cup flour
1 cup White sugar
3/4 cup milk
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

Mix well

In an oven proof dish (2 quart would be a good size, I think), dump in a cup of dark brown sugar and a cup of boiling water. Stir to melt the sugar.
Pour in the batter mixture and bake at 350F until golden, about 20 minutes or so.

Serve warm, with maple syrup or ice cream or cream or whatever takes your fancy.

This is an old recipe passed down from my moms side of the family. She even gave me the 'quick pudding pan' that was her grandmother's.
The story is that it's an old Mennonite recipe that makes use of the residual heat in a wood stove after the meat has been removed.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Strawberries Madagascar

Ingredients

1 teaspoon drained green Madagascar peppercorns
50g / 2oz Butter
50g / 2oz Sugar
2 Tablespoons of Grand Marnier or Cointreau
225g /8oz of firm strawberries, hulled, sliced if large.

1. Crush half of the peppercorns with a mortar and pestle or with the flat side of a large cook's knife (as for crushing garlic)
2. Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add the sugar and crushed peppercorns and allow to dissolve over a low heat and cook briskly until an nut brown colour, stirring frequently.
3. Meanwhile, warm the Grand Marnier in a small pan. Stir into the butter and sugar mixture and set alight.
4. When the flames subside, add the strawberries and cook for about 2 minutes, shaking the pan to coat the strawberries in the sauce so that they become glazed.
5. Sprinkle with the remaining whole peppercorns and serve immediately. Serve chilled pouring cream or vanilla ice cream separately.

(The notes say "Watch Geoff!! This is when I had my eyebrows singed.")

message 10: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Oct 17, 2011 12:53AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Here's banana bread for the bread machine...

Banana Bread Recipe

Ingredients

3 or 4 ripe bananas
2 tbsp oil
3 eggs
30 ml milk (I use soya milk, of course)
120g brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
100g chopped walnuts (I omit them)
220g plain white flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Mash bananas. Add the beaten eggs. oil and milk to bananas and mix well. Add the brown sugar and salt and mix again.
Dump into the bread tin.
Add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon on top of the wet mixture.
I use a spatula to roughly mix the flour in at this point as sometimes the machine doesn't do it so well.
Put the tin in the machine and set it to 'cake' or 'quick'. Crust setting to 'light'.
I give it a few minutes then check that all the flour has mixed in well.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments I have taken out the walnuts (50g) and sultanas (100g). I also think it was abit sweet so I use less sugar but this is what it asks for:

Water (tepid) 2 tbsp
Vegetable Oil 1 tbsp
Eggs, (beaten) 2
Pale Soft Brown Sugar 175g
Grated Carrots 200g
Ground Nutmeg 1/2 tsp
Ground Cinammon 1 tsp
Wholemeal Self Raising Flour 220g
(I used 2 tsp of baking powder as my flour wasn't self raising)

Method:
Add the Water, Oil, Eggs, Sugar, Carrots, Nutmeg, Cinnamon and Flour to the tin.

Place the tin back in the machine and set program to 'cake'

Set the crust colour to your preference

Press start

After 10 mins, check there is no flour left unmixed at the edges, if there is, scrape into the mix with a plastic spatula.

When ready remove tin from the machine and leave to cool for 10 mins. Then run a spatula around the edge of the cake to loosen and turn out onto a wire rack. Allow to cool for 30-40 mins.

(I mix all the stuff in a bowl first, then dumped in the tin and added the flour, baking powder and spices as I do for the banana bread then mix roughly

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Got this recipe from a friend. Low fat and delicious.

Yummy chicken

A tablespoon of soy sauce
A tablespoon of white wine vinegar
A tablespoon of honey

Cube the chicken breast and fry in olive oil until slightly browned.  Mix the above in one bowl and pour over the chicken. Continue frying until mixture has evaporated.  Easy peasy right?

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Chocolate Chip Cookies

Here's the recipe I use...

Pre heat oven to 325F

1cup shortening or 1/2cup veg oil and 1/2cup butter or marg
3/4cup brown sugar
3/4cup white sugar
2eggs well beaten
1tsp baking soda dissolved in 2tsp hot water
1tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2cups flour
1/2tsp salt
1 cup choc chips

Cream together the fat and sugars. Add the beaten eggs then the dissolved soda and vanilla. Mix well then gradually add the flour to which the salt has been added. Finally add the choc chips. Drop by teaspoonsful onto lightly greased pans and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

I've replaced 1/4 cup of the marg with peanut butter and used chopped unsalted peanuts instead of choc chips and the results were very good.

message 14: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Oct 17, 2011 12:58AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments German Potato Pancakes
Ingredients
2 eggs
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 medium raw potatoes, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Directions
In a large bowl, beat together eggs, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Mix in potatoes and onion.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. In batches, drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the potato mixture into the skillet. Press to flatten. Cook about 3 minutes on each side, until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Date Oatmeal Cookies
Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup oil
3 eggs
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease cookie sheets.
In separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together fat and both sugars until light and fluffy, using electric mixer at medium speed.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Blend in vanilla.
Gradually add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, mixing well with spoon.
Stir in oats, dates and walnuts.
Drop dough by teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, on cookie sheet.
Bake for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on racks. Soft, chewy and healthy! ish...

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Bagels

1 egg
100 ml milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
280 g strong white flour
1 sachet dried active yeast

1 Lightly beat the egg and add to the tin with the milk, oil, salt and sugar.

2 Add the strong white flour to the tin, on top of the wet ingredients.

3 Finally add the contents of the yeast sachet to the tin, on top of the flour.

4 Place the tin back in the machine and set the program to 'dough' or 'bagel dough'.

5 If applicable set the loaf size to 500 g (1lb).

6 Press start.

7 When the cycle has finished, remove the dough from the machine and place onto a floured surface. Divide the dough into eight pieces and roll them into balls. Press a thumb through each ball. Leave to rise for a further 10 minutes in a warm area.

8 Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add 1 tbsp of sugar. Add the risen bagels, 4 at a time, to the boiling water and boil for 4 minutes, turning halfway. Remove the bagels from the pan and place on a lightly oiled non-stick baking tray.

9 Glaze the bagels with a little milk and sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds, if desired. bake in a pre-heated oven at 200C/Gas mark 6 for 15 minutes.

Patti's hint...Make sure you poke a sizable hole in the middle or the silly things will close up into a ball again during the second rise.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Canadian Maple Cookies

INGREDIENTS:
·                     1 cup butter, softened
·                     1 cup packed brown sugar
·                     1 egg
·                     1 cup real Canadian maple syrup
·                     1 teaspoon vanilla extract
·                     2 teaspoons baking soda
·                     1/2 teaspoon salt
·                     4 cups all-purpose flour
·                     1/3 cup granulated sugar for decoration
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
2.     In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Add the egg, syrup and vanilla. Mix until well blended. Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda. Stir into mixture until well blended. Shape into 1 inch balls and roll in sugar. Place on cookie sheets about 2 inches apart (They do spread out!) and flatten slightly.

3.     Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Let cool on wire rack.

Store in an air-tight container.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments This is one of my favourite soup recipes!

Fragrant Asian Carrot and Lentil Soup

(Antony Worrell Thomspon)

SERVES 6-8

10g (1/2 oz) unsalted butter

1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh root ginger

½ teaspoon each ground allspice, cumin and chilli powder

½ teaspoon curry powder

½ teaspoon ground coriander

2 onions, finely chopped

1 parsnip, finely chopped

1 stick of celery, chopped

500g (18oz) carrots, sliced

175g (6oz) red lentils, washed

50g (2oz) brown basmati rice

1.8 litres (3 pints) vegetable stock

400ml (14fl oz) tin of reduced-fat coconut milk

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander

1 Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan, add the ginger, allspice, cumin, chilli powder, curry powder and ground coriander. Cook over a medium heat for 3 minutes.

2 Add the vegetables, stir to combine and cook for a further 8 minutes. Add the lentils and rice and stir in, before adding the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the lentils have started to break down.

3 Blend half the soup in a liquidiser or food processor until smooth. Return to the rest of the mixture, and add the coconut milk, lime juice and coriander. Heat through but do not let it boil again – this is important. Serve immediately.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments I make this soup and it's really nice. I got it from my friends other half after he made it for us.

Spiced Red Lentil & Sweet Potato Soup

12 oz. potatoes
1 large sweet potato
2 table spoons Madras paste
1 onion – chopped
4 oz. split red lentils
1.5 pints vegetable stock
7 fl. oz. (200ml) reduced fat coconut milk
1 – 2 table spoons fresh coriander leaves – chopped
black pepper

cube (1/2”) potato and sweet potato
heat paste in pan & stir in onion – cook 5 minutes
Add potatoes & sweet potato, lentils & stock – bring to boil then simmer 20 minutes
Stir in coconut milk and heat gently
Stir in coriander and pepper and serve

Once cooked I mash it down a bit with a potato masher or I suppose you could liquidise it if you wanted a smooth soup.

I usually double up the quantity so that I can use up the whole can of coconut milk, then I can freeze half of it. Although it doesn't always reach the freezer as I keep dipping into it.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments November Casserole

3/4LB pigs Liver cut into 2" strips
4oz Streaky Bacon chopped
1 tin Oxtail soup
1oz lard
1 Onion sliced
2 level tablesp plain flour seasoned
1 level teasp mixed herbs

Fry onion in lard, coat liver with flour
Add to to onion with bacon cook for 2 mins
Sprinkle over remaining flour
Stir in the soup Add herbs and check seasoning
Bring to boil stirring all the time
Turn into casserole dish, cover and bake centre shelf for about 1 hour

Oven 180C 350F or gas mark 4

Very tasty

message 21: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Oct 17, 2011 01:02AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments My Favourite Quick n Easy cake recipe...

Beat together:
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups White sugar

sift together:
2 cups flour
2 tsps baking soda

Add the dry mixture to the first mixture alternately with 1 can fruit, including juice. I've used tinned strawberries, tinned peaches, cherry pie filling, apple pie filling, tinned pineapple, tinned summer fruits. Whatever I've been able to find in the shop here, really.

Bake in greased and floured 9 x 13 inch pan at 350 F until knife comes out clean. Also makes nice cupcakes but it's so rich and moist it really doesn't need icing.

message 22: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Oct 17, 2011 01:03AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Sorry about the US measurements. Also, you can substitute regular limes if you can't get key limes.

Key Lime Pie

Ingredients
• 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
• 3 cups sweetened condensed milk
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 3/4 cup key lime juice
• 1 tablespoon grated lime zest

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice, and lime rind. Mix well and pour into graham cracker crust.

message 23: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Oct 17, 2011 01:04AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Devilled Mushrooms
(serves 2)

3/4 lb button mushrooms
1/2 red pepper (cut into 1 inch strips)
8oz can red kidney beans
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic (crushed)

Sauce

5oz marg (I prefer to use butter of olive oil)
3 tbsp plain flour
2 dessertspoons worcester sauce
2 dessertspoons lemon juice
2 tsp brown sugar
1 level tsp curry powder
1 heaped tsp wholegrain mustard
2 dessertspoons redcurrant jelly
3/4 pint veg stock.

Method

Quick fry mushrooms in 1oz marg until brown. Set aside.
Melt 4oz marg in another saucepan and fry onion, garlic and red pepper until soft.
Add flour and stir well. Slowly add veg stock, stirring quickly to make a thick sauce.
Add rest of sauce ingredients; kidney beans and finally the mushrooms. Heat through and serve.

(Rice cooked with 2 tsp turmeric instead of salt makes a good accompaniment to this.)

It's yummy - a sort of mix of sweet and savoury flavours. I used to be vegetarian at one time but still cook this fairly often, my husband also loves it even though he has never been a veggie!

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Ingredients

FOR THE TOPPING
50g softened butter
50g light soft brown sugar
7 pineapples rings in syrup, drained and syrup
Half teaspoon of ground cinnamon
glacé cherry

FOR THE CAKE
100g softened butter
100g golden caster sugar
100g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs

Method

For The Topping

Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. For the topping, beat the butter, cinnamon and sugar together until creamy. Spread over the base and a quarter of the way up the sides of a 20-21cm round cake tin. Arrange pineapple rings on top, then place cherries in the centres of the rings.

For the Cake

Place the cake ingredients in a bowl along with 2 tbsp of the pineapple syrup and, using an electric whisk, beat to a soft consistency. Spoon into the tin on top of the pineapple and smooth it out so it's level. Bake for 35 mins. Leave to stand for 5 mins, then turn out onto a plate.

Serve with custard

Hope you like it.

Vanessa
Earth, Air, Fire and Custard

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Here are a couple of pasta sauce recipes that I promised Patti I'd post here. They are both wonderfully simple dishes to make and taste wonderful.

‘Loose-Lady’ Style Sauce (Alla Puttanesca)

2 400 g (14 oz) Cans of Tomatoes
2 Cloves Garlic
10 Black Olives (stoned)
1 tbsp Capers
2 Anchovy Fillets (I usually use the entire tin)
Olive Oil
1 small Chilli
2 tsp Tomato Puree
Salt
1 tbsp chopped Parsley

Pasta – Spaghetti or Linguine is ideal.

Cook the sauce before cooking the pasta.

Method:
Crush, or blend briefly, the tomatoes in a liquidiser. Peel and cut the garlic into 3 – 4 slices. Stone the olives, and cut into quarters. Rinse the capers if they are stored in brine. Chop the anchovy fillets, you can crush them into a paste if preferred.

Coat the bottom of a frying pan with the oil. When the oil is hot, but NOT smoking, add the garlic and the chilli, crush the chilli onto the bottom of the pan to release its flavour. Gently fry until the garlic is golden, add the anchovy fillets, olives and capers, stirring all the time. After 2 – 3 minutes, add the tomato puree, heat and stir, then add the tomatoes. Check the taste, add salt IF needed. (Capers and anchovies are VERY salty).

Simmer, slowly, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce becomes denser and darker in colour.

Have the pasta cooked ready for the end of the sauces 30 minutes.

Drain the pasta and transfer into a serving dish, or individual dishes. Spoon the sauce over the top. Sprinkle parsley over.

It's called Loose Lady sauce as they used to make this sauce and eat it quickly between clients allegedly.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Second recipe. This one is so simple, even I've made it!

‘Hot-Tempered’ Sauce ( All’Arrabbiata)

575 g (1 ¼ lb) Canned Tomatoes
1 Clove of Garlic (We usually have more)

Olive Oil
1 medium Green Chilli (We usually have 2)
Salt
1 tbsp chopped parsley

Pasta, Penne is ideal.

Make the sauce before cooking the pasta.

Method:
Crush, or blend, the tomatoes in a liquidiser. Peel and then cut the garlic into 3 – 4 slices. Slit the chilli, discard the seeds, then rinse and dry the chilli.

Coat the bottom of a large frying pan with the oil. Heat it to hot, but NOT smoking, add the garlic and chilli. Crush the chilli against the bottom of the pan to release its flavour. When the garlic is golden, add the tomatoes and cook for about 15 minutes, adding salt to taste.

Have the pasta cooked to be ready at the end of the 15 minutes.

Drain the cooked pasta and transfer to a serving dish, or individual dishes, spoon the sauce over the pasta. Sprinkle over the parsley.

Enjoy! Let me know how you get on with them.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Oh, and here is an extra one for you Patti for the veggies. Make sure you leave a window open though!

Hot Boston Beans

225g (8 oz) Haricot Beans, soaked overnight in cold water. OR 2 tins.
1 tbsp Vegetable Oil.
2 medium Onions, peeled and chopped.
4 tbsp Clear Honey
3 tbsp Soy Sauce
½ tsp Tabasco Sauce
3 tbsp Wine Vinegar
1 tsp English Mustard Powder
½ - 1 tsp Ground chilli
1 tsp Paprika
4 tbsp Tomato Puree
450ml (¾ pint) hot Vegetable Stock
4 tbsp Orange Juice (adding the zest too is wonderful)
2 tsp plain Wholemeal Flour
2 tbsp Water
2 Red Peppers, seeded and sliced

Pre-heat oven to 150° C, 300° F or Gas 2

1. Rinse the beans. Put into a pan with enough water to cover. Bring to the boil and simmer 30 minutes. Drain and tip into a large ovenproof casserole dish. (If using tinned, drain, rinse and empty into large ovenproof casserole dish.)
2. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions until golden. Stir in the honey, soy sauce, Tabasco sauce, vinegar, mustard, chilli, paprika and tomato puree.
3. Pour in the hot stock and orange juice (and zest) and bring to the boil. Pour over the beans, cover the dish and cook for 1 ½ hours.
4. Blend the flour with the water and stir into the beans. Ad the red peppers. Cover the dish and return to the oven for 1 more hour. The sauce will thicken, and the beans will be tender.
5. Serve hot, with lots of garlic bread.

This is ideal to come home to; you can make it ready, refrigerate it and reheat for about an hour, or in a microwave.

Remember 5, you can never have enough garlic bread!!

message 28: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Oct 17, 2011 01:07AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Corn Mast Masala Soup

About 2 cups chicken stock ( I make stock whenever I roast chicken so I have lots in the freezer)
1 small onion finely chopped
5 or 6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 veg stock cube
2 tsps or so of masala spice ( I got mine from an Indonesian friend here but you can get it in the supermarket in the UK)
1 tsp of chilli flakes ( you can use more or less, of course)
About half a large tin of creamed corn
It looked a bit thin so I added a small tin of corn niblets as well.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Lemon Yoghurt Cake

125g softened butter
1 measuring cup caster sugar
2 eggs
1 cup thick plain yoghurt
60 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2.5 cups SR flour
half teasp bicarb

For syrup
half cup sugar
half cup water
90ml fresh lemon juice
2 wide strips of lemon peel

Oven set to 180
Grease and line an 8" cake tin

Cream butter and sugar, add egg. Beat well. Stir in juice and zest and half the flour. Add yog and remaining flour with bicarb mixed in. Spoon into tin and bake for approx 45 mins but do test it with a skewer or fine knitting needle so that it comes out clean.

Just before it's done, prepare the syrup.
Put all syrup ingredients into a small pan. Cook, stirring over a low heat till the sugar is dissolved. Simmer for about 4 mins, remove from the heat and take out the rind. Pour syrup over hot cake while it's still in the tin and leave for at least 5 minutes before removing from tin.

This is lovely and sharp, moist and fresh flavoured.

message 30: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Oct 17, 2011 01:08AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Impossible cherry pie

Ingredients:

4 eggs
½ cup melted butter
3/4 cup plain white flour
1 cup white cane sugar
2 cups milk
1 cup canned pitted cherries
1/2 tsp powdered saccharine
½ tsp cinnamon

Method:

Blend all ingredients except cherries, saccharine and cinnamon.

Stir cherries into batter mix and pour into a greased pie tin.

Sprinkle with cinnamon mixed with saccharine and bake at 170c for approximately 1 hour until centre is firm.

This should come out of the oven with a crust like base and a cherry custard topping.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments I'm soaking a bag of dried black beans today as I'd like to try making a dish we had in Cuba tomorrow before I serve it for our Cuban night. I found the recipe on-line. Will let you know how it turns out.

Here's the recipe

Moors and Christians

Recipe origin: Cuba

Ingredients

1 pound black beans, dried (or 2 cups canned black beans)
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
3 teaspoons cumin, ground
½ cup green pepper, chopped
Olive oil, for frying
2 cups chicken broth
3 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup long-grain white rice
Salt and pepper, to taste
Procedure

If you are using canned beans, drain the water from them and set them aside.
If you are using dry beans, cover them with water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and let stand 1 hour. Drain the beans.
Use a large, covered cooking pot and sauté the onion, garlic, and green pepper in the olive oil until tender.
Add the tomato paste, black beans, cumin, and chicken broth.
Add rice, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until rice if fully cooked (about 30 minutes).
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 4 to 6.

Here's the link

http://www.answers.com/topic/moors-and-c...

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Caroline

And ingredient number 8 is... Cocoa powder! As in Untethered:

With these lovely ingredients you can make:

VERY INDULGENT BLACK FOREST CUPCAKES

1. Get the butter out of the fridge about 20-30 minutes before making the cupcakes to make sure that it's nice and soft. Turn the oven on at Gas Mark 4 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.

2. Cream together 200g unsalted butter and 1 cup golden caster sugar in a bowl using a wooden spoon.

3. Sieve 2 cups of self-raising flour, 2 rounded tbsp of cocoa and 1 tsp of cinnamon into the bowl. Break in 4 eggs and add a dash of vanilla extract (not vanilla essence).
4. Mix everything together until smooth. Divide between the paper cases. Bake for 20 minutes.
5. Put the cakes on a plate or wire rack to cool. Do not attempt to move on to the buttercream stage while they are hot or it will melt.

6. Using a wooden spoon, mix together 100g of unsalted butter, 2 cups of icing sugar and a generous dash of vanilla extract. Make sure that you sift the icing sugar into the bowl through a sieve to avoid lumps. Mix until all lumps are gone.

7. With a teaspoon cut a scoop out of the middle of one of the cupcakes. Put a splodge of cherry jam inside and replace the scoop. Repeat on the other 11 cakes.

8. Bundle the icing into a piping bag and squeeze onto the top of the cakes.

9. Place a black glacé cherry on the top of each cake (these can be bought in Waitrose). Washing the cherries first removes some of the stickiness.

10. Dust the cakes with cocoa powder and you're done!
-----------------------------------------

Vanessa
Pineapple Upside Down Cake

Ingredients

FOR THE TOPPING
50g softened butter
50g light soft brown sugar
7 pineapples rings in syrup, drained and syrup
Half teaspoon of ground cinnamon
glacé cherry

FOR THE CAKE
100g softened butter
100g golden caster sugar
100g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs

Method

For The Topping

Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. For the topping, beat the butter, cinnamon and sugar together until creamy. Spread over the base and a quarter of the way up the sides of a 20-21cm round cake tin. Arrange pineapple rings on top, then place cherries in the centres of the rings.

For the Cake

Place the cake ingredients in a bowl along with 2 tbsp of the pineapple syrup and, using an electric whisk, beat to a soft consistency. Spoon into the tin on top of the pineapple and smooth it out so it's level. Bake for 35 mins. Leave to stand for 5 mins, then turn out onto a plate.

Serve with custard (Earth, Air, Fire and Custard)
Jud
PINEAPPLE AND CHERRY FRIANDS

25g Plain Flour
6 Egg Whites
125g Butter
125g Icing Sugar
75g Ground Almonds
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
Pineapple
Cherry

Preheat the oven to 180oC

1. Melt the butter
2. Whisk the egg whites until stiff
3. Fold the flour, almonds, icing sugar and cinnamon into the egg whites.
4. Add the butter to the mixture
5. Chop the fruit and stir into the mix
6. Fill a bun tray and cook for 15mins or until a nice golden colour.

My final ingredient (ground almonds) is from "My name is Mina"
Jay-Me

Flour
Egg
butter
sugarcane, pakalolo and pineapple
worm, salt, ice and vanilla
cinnamon
cherry
The ingredient that I have added is:
Tequila "Big-Red-Tequila"

Pineapple Upside Down Cake.
For this recipe I would find someone who could cook & bribe them by giving them the tequila (containing the worm) Ice & funny cigarette.
Angela

1 Flour
2 Egg
3 Butter
4 Sugarcane, pakalolo (hash) and pineapple
5 Saccharine
6 Cinnamon
7 Cherry

My extra ingredient is Milk and I decided to choose Why Santa loves cookies and milk by Lisa Hoyt.

Here's my final recipe:

Impossible cherry pie

Ingredients:

4 eggs
½ cup melted butter
3/4 cup plain white flour
1 cup white cane sugar
2 cups milk
1 cup canned pitted cherries
1/2 tsp powdered saccharine
½ tsp cinnamon

Method:

Blend all ingredients except cherries, saccharine and cinnamon.

Stir cherries into batter mix and pour into a greased pie tin.

Sprinkle with cinnamon mixed with saccharine and bake at 170c for approximately 1 hour until centre is firm.

This should come out of the oven with a crust like base and a cherry custard topping.
Karen (Kew)
The ingredients:-

I you want an extra this cake is quite nice as a pudding served with either hot custard or cream.

White Lies and Custard Creams - A Romantic Comedy

Here's the recipe which I haven't made since I was a teenager!

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

4oz self raising flour
4oz butter
4oz castor sugar
2 eggs
1 tin of pineapple rings
2oz brown sugar
glace cherries
pinch of cinnamon
couple of drops of vanilla essence

Take a round cake tin. Sprinkle the bottom of the tin with the brown sugar and a pinch of ground cinnamon. Then arrange the pineapple rings in a pattern on top of the sugar - place a halved glace cherry in the centre of each pineapple ring.

Now make a sponge mix by creaming together the butter and sugar until you get a pale fluffy mixture. Then in a seperate bowl beat the eggs together and then add to the butter and sugar mixture a little at a time, beating well after each addition. After the eggs have been mixed in stir in a few drops of vanilla essence, then take a metal spoon and gradually fold in the seived flour.

Spoon the mixture on top of the pineapple and put in a preheated oven at gas mark 3/170c for 25-30 minutes. Test that the sponge is ready by lightly pressing the centre - if it springs up the sponge is done. Leave to cool in the tin for about a minute then tip the cake upside down onto a metal cooling rack. The sugar and cinnomon will have melted to cover the pineapple and cherries with a lovely dark, sweet and cinnamony syrup.

It's years since I've made this but I'm just remembering that I used to tip just a little of the pineapple juice over the sugar and fruit before I added the sponge to make the syrup even more yummy - only a little though otherwise it will make the sponge soggy.
Gingerlilly

Ingredients list

Flour
(Dragon) egg
Butter
sugarcane, pakalolo and pineapple
Saccherine
Cinnamon
Cherry

My extra ingredient HAS to be Ginger... The book is called 'Sweet Ginger Poison'

The dish is a Pineapple Upsidedown Cake which is my Dad's favourite. But the sponge cake has chopped up crystalised ginger in it to jazz it up a bit, and it has a syrup to pour over it made with the pineapple juice, cane sugar, more ginger and the cinnamon. Oh and there could be a sneaky bit of the pakalolo in it as well...

You put 4 rings of pineapple in a dish and put glace cheries in the centre holes. Boil up the syrup in a saucepan until it is more or less clear and pour half of it over the pineapple. Make a sponge cake mixture with the flour, eggs, butter and sugar, and pour it into the dish on top on the pineapple. Bake until golden brown. When it is finished turn it out onto a big plate so the pineapples are on top. Put the rest of the syrup (warmed up)into a jug to pour over it.
Ingnite
Mystery Ignite either didn't tell me what ut is or I deleted it!
Day 1 - Flour
Day 2 - egg (not necessarily dragon)
Day 3 - butter
Day 4 - sugar and pineapple
Day 5 - Saccharine
Day 6 - cinnamon
Day 7 - Cherry

Additional ingredient - Milk - book is The Mayor of Castro Street - the life and times of Harvey Milk.

65g plain flour
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons sugar for preference but you can substitute powdered saccharine if you want
180ml milk
150g fresh cherries
150g fresh pineapple
Quarter teaspoon ground cinnamon
Tablespoon butter
Another 2 tablespoons sugar

Preheat oven to 220C and use the middle shelf.

Make a batter by hand or with a food processor, with the flour, eggs milk and - if you must - saccharine or 2 tablesps sugar.
Let it rest while you prepare the fruit.
Stone the cherries and peel and chop the fresh pineapple.
Melt the butter in a heavy skillet and coat the surface.
Add the fruit and let it soften a little.
Add the second lot of sugar and cook until a syrup is formed - a couple of minutes should do.
Pour the batter over and cook for about 20 minutes until it is risen and set. Don't open the oven in the cooking time or it will sink.

Serve warm with dressing of choice - thick or thin cream, ice-cream, yoghurt or creme fraiche. (Or even custard.)
Katrina
Another mystery but it has Meringue!
ingredients;

Flour
Butter
Egg
Sugar
Vanilla
Cinnamon
cherry

(icing sugar)
meringue that I will make into a square shape, then puree the cherry with the vanilla and make a coolie for inside the two halves of the meringue and add also a butter icing to the inside as well.
it will look like a book and layered with the butter icing and coolie it will look like different pages.
Susan – Sukey
So nice she wouldn't tell us how to make it :(
I made a gorgeous pineapple upside down cake with these ingredients.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Wild Plum (Bullace) Brandy

12 oz Bullaces - the little sharp black wild plums
4 - 6 oz sugar
75cl bottle of brandy. It might as well be cheap as you will taste the plums not the refinement of the spirit.

Wash the wild plums, dry on a tea towel and prick each with a pin. Put them into a latge bottle with a stopper or a demhohn with a cork if you are a winemaker. Our on the sugar and add the brandy. Seal up and shake daily. Eventually the sugar will dissolve. Taste it in a couple of months. You might want more sugar (or even more fruit if you have carefully stored a bit in your freezer)

Remember, you can add extra sugar, you can't take it out if it's too syruppy.

Nice to bottle some in those small (are they a third?) wine bottles for Christmas presents.

We have a bullace in the garden, grown from seed by a farmer friend at the other end of the village. His died, ours thrived so I owe him a bottle I think!

You can do Sow gin or damson gin the same way.
6 - 8 ox sloes though as they are very astringent.
12 oz damsons.

The are our tradition post Christmas Dinner drinks here.

message 34: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Oct 17, 2011 01:12AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Wild Rice and Mushroom Stuffed Peppers

Cut the tops off, deseed and wash peppers. I did five as there are five for dinner.

The stuffing: (all measurements are approximate)

1/2 cup red camargue and wild rice (from Waitrose) cooked per instructions
2 or 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp crushed garlic
2 or 3 tbsp very finely chopped onion
1 tsp crushed chilli
1/2 can mushrooms, finely chopped

Fill the peppers, place in ovenproof dish, drizzle all over with olive oil and bake in moderate oven until peppers are soft but still hold their shape.

Just before serving, sprinkle generously with parmesan cheese.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments CHOCOLATE TOFFEE CORNFLAKE BUNS

INGREDIENTS

100g good quality milk chocolate
50g unsalted butter
5 generous tablespoons golden syrup
6 normal sized marshmallows (not the tiny ones)
80g cornflakes
Bun cases

1. Put the chocolate, butter, syrup and two marshmallows into a pan (use a large pan compared to the amount of ingredients as you will need to add the cornflakes afterwards). Melt on a low heat until all mixed together. It will be a nice dark brown colour at this stage. Remove from heat
2. Quarter the four remaining marshmallows. Add them with the cornflakes to the mix. Stir gently until the cornflakes are properly coated. Make sure you scoop all the chocolate mix up from the bottom of the pan.
3. Spoon into bun cases. It will make around 12 for 100g chocolate.
4. Put in fridge for short while (though they taste nice warm too but are very messy). They don't set completely like normal chocolate cornflake buns and are slightly gooey.

They usually get eaten quite quickly but you can make larger quantities by going up to 150g or 200g of chocolate and increasing the other ingredients by the same multiple.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments The better recipe:

Aubergine Bake.

Serves 6
Ingredients
3 lbs aubergine
1 lb pasata tomato
8oz Mozzarella cheese
4 oz parmesan cheese, grated
Basil leaves, fresh if possible
Olive oil

Method

Slice the aubergine moderately thickly, place in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave for approximately 1 hour.
Rinse the aubergine very well and dry.
Fry in hot olive oil until golden brown, place a single layer in a shallow ovenproof dish, sprinkle with some Parmesan, some mozzarella slices and then pour over some of the tomato. Add some basil over the top.
Repeat these layers until all the ingredients are used up.
Bake at 350 F, 180C or Gas 4 for 40 - 45 minutes.

Serve with new potatoes, baked potatoes, a green vegetable or just crusty bread.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Raspberry Vodka

Just got back form A**A with my voddie.

1 lb mashed ripe Rasps
4 oz sugar (adjust it later if you like it sweeter)
Bottle vodka

Mix all together in a big bottle or jar with a lid.
Leave for 2 - 3 months, shaking it daily (Leaving it's the hard bit!)

Strain, drink add ice-cream to the rasp mush. Hmmmm!

message 38: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Oct 17, 2011 01:14AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Devilled Chicken/Pork
Serves 4
Ingredients:
4 Chicken Pieces or Pork Chops
Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
Sauce:
1 generous tbs Apricot Jam
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
! large clove of Garlic, sliced or crushed
1 tbs Soy Sauce
3 tbs Worcester Sauce
3 tbs Tomato Ketchup

Method:
1. Season the meat and place into a shallow oven-proof dish.
2. Stir together all the other ingredients and mix well together.
3. Season.
4. Pour over the meat, coating evenly.
5. Bake near the top of a per-heated oven Gas 4, 180C or 350 for about 1 hour.
Serve with creamed potatoes and a green vegetable, or baked potatoes and salad.
This recepie also works well with Quorn or Tofu.
Adding ready-to-eat dried apricots to the sauce is lovely, but watch out for the sauce becoming too thick.

message 39: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Oct 17, 2011 01:15AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Sag Aloo

Peel, dice and boil 2 cups potatoes until tender but not falling apart. Drain and set aside.
Chop an onion and fry it with 1/2tsp each of cumin and coriander seeds in a large, heavy saucepan.
After the onion is nicely wilted but not brown add 1/2tsp chilli powder and 1/2tsp coriander powder. Add 1/2tsp each of mustard and onion seeds then get the lid on quick or they'll spit all over your kitchen.
Let cook for a couple of minutes to let the flavours mingle then add a tin of chopped tomatoes, the pre-cooked potatos and a couple or three big handfuls of washed, fresh spinach. Cook, covered until heated through.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Dahl

All of these measurements are approximate as I just throw the stuff into the pot. After you make it a few times (I make it at least once a week when we're on the island) it takes no time to throw together. Dave has it with rice almost everyday for his lunch.

In a big, heavy saucepan, throw in about a cup of split red lentils. Yellow lentils work, too. Add water until its about an inch over the lentils. Give it a swirl to get the lentils off the bottom of the pot. Wash the lentils if they seem dusty.
While the lentils reach a boil, chop up an onion and add.
Then add about a teaspoon of turmeric, a stock cube (I usually use chicken but veg or beef work, too), a few curry leaves, a teaspoon of garam masala, chilli to taste, salt to taste. Let it bubble away until the lentils start to go mushy,then transfer to a slow cooker to finish. I usually leave it in the slow cooker for five or six hours. If it gets too thick, and it usually does, add more water. It should be like a thick soup. Sometimes I add a tablespoon or so of tomato paste for colour, depending on what I'm serving it with. Garnish with slices of garlic, fried until they are golden brown.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments As*A - don't tell whatsisname! You can use lots of fruits - gooseberries, damsons (groan!) cherries etc.

1 pint white malt or white wine vinegar
Mixed picking spices
2 lb plums - under-ripe is better
1.5 - 2 lb sugar - depends on sweetness of fruit

Bring vinegar and spices to the boil and simmer for 3 - 4 minutes. Strain and allow to cool or for a more pronounced flavour, cool first then strain.
Add plums - you can do them whole with the stones in which saves faff.
Simmer over a low heat to soften but not break up the fruit.
Lift out of the vinegar with a slotted spoon and pack into sterilised jars.
Add sugar to vinegar and heat gently till dissolved then boil steadily until it attains a syrup-like consistency.
Pour over fruit, put on lids and seal down.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments I have another recipe, has anyone tried custard kisses before, they're biscuits.
125g of butter
2/3 cup caster sugar
2 egg yolk
2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
1/2 cup custard powder
1 cup of plain flour
1 cup self raising flour
and milk to bind it together
You fill them with a vanilla butter icing, they're my Uncles favorite bickys.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments My uncle is a rugby player (as was my grandpa) so it was a really odd baguette!

The baguette was supposed to represent a rugby ball.. It had 6 slices cut into it, one for each of the six nations (Wales, Ireland, Scotland, England, France and Italy). Each slice had food from that country!

Wales - Leek and Caerphilly cheese
Ireland - Potato salad and Ham
Scotland - Smoked Salmon and Lemon Mayonaise
England - Cheddar cheese and Pickle
France - Brie and Grape
Italy - Mozzarella and Tomato

I made little national flags for each country and attached them to toothpicks to identify which slice went with which country, too!

(Please remember that I was only around 7 or 8.. haha)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments THE GREAT BRITISH ONION BHAJI

I just thought I'd post my really simple, but really effective Bhaji recipe. It's cheap and fun and very easy.

200 g gram flour
1 Tablespoon Tandoori Paste
1 clove garlic, chopped
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
One large Spanish onion (chopped)
chopped coriander
cumin and red chille
lemon juice
cup of peas
salt
vegetable oil for deep frying
water

Put gram flour in a bowl
Add turmeric, lemon juice, coriander, garlic, cumin, chille, salt and tandoori paste. Mix together thoroughly.

Add onion and peas. Add to bowl and mix.

Then add as much cold water as is necessary to make a creamy (but not too watery) blend.

Then make into small balls/ bhajis and deep fry until crispy.

NB. Take out after a few minutes. Cut a small hole in the middle and continue frying for a few minutes so it's cooked inside.

Serve with homemade raita

That's it!

Carl
x

message 45: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Oct 17, 2011 01:24AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Carrot and Coriander Soup

Ingredients
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced
450g/1lb carrots, sliced
1 tsp ground coriander
1.2 litresl/2 pints vegetable stock
large bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preparation method
Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions and the carrots. Cook for 3-4 minutes until starting to soften.
Stir in the ground coriander and season well. Cook for 1 minute.
Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Simmer until the vegetables are tender.
Whizz with a hand blender or in a blender until smooth. Reheat in a clean pan, stir in the fresh coriander and serve.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Pizza Dough

To the bread machine tin (or a bowl if you're doing it by hand) add 160ml water, 1tbsp olive oil, 1/2tsp salt, 1tsp sugar and 1tbsp milk powder (I use Coffee Mate), then add 320g strong white flour and 1/2 sachet of bread machine yeast. Set the machine to 'dough' or 'pizza dough'.
If doing it by hand knead well 10 minutes then allow to rise in a warm place 1 hour.

I'd buy a machine though. ;)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Very hot curry!

Ingredients:

1tbsp olive oil (vegetable if preferred)
1 onion (sliced)
Peppers (chopped; amount optional)
5 Bhut Jolokia chillies, 4 Scotch Bonnet chillies (finely chopped and including seeds)
Fresh coriander (amount optional)
Garlic (2 cloves; crushed)
1 tbsp grated root ginger
Meat of your choice
One mirror (portrait size)
100g tomato puree
Your wits (all of them)
400g chopped tomatoes (tinned if preferred)
1tsp garam masala
4tsp madras curry powder
1/2tsp ground turmeric
4tsp chilli powder
4tsp tandoori curry powder
A somewhat reckless nature
Cement mixer

Method:

Place oil, onion, peppers, garlic and ginger in pan and sweat down on high heat. Place mirror on wall in kitchen and convince yourself that you have absolutely no need for your taste buds in the near future. Begin mixing cement.

Reduce heat to medium. Add meat, chillies, coriander and tomatoes. Pour in curry powder mixture and mix together for two minutes. Add tomato puree, a pinch of salt, 2tsp of sugar and continue to stir until the kitchen ceiling begins to sear. Add your wits, reason and all affiliations with logic. Return to mirror and remove the look of fear from face. Wipe tears from eyes. Pour freshly made cement into separate bowl.

Leave curry to simmer for approximately 45 minutes and stir at regular intervals (preferably, cook the night before, refrigerate and leave the ingredients to sift through).

Apply cement to palate. Serve curry with boiled rice, several gallons of water, ice cubes and a counsellor.

Enjoy.

N.B Make sure cement has set before tasting.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments I've got one... it's THE Japanese ginger sauce from Benihana. This IS the real recipe.

Here's the short story: The local Benihaha in my town was going out of business (still haven't figured out why), so I asked them for the recipe for their ginger sauce. The waiter came back with a sheet of paper listing ALL their "secret" recipes. Imagine my surprise. I’ve tried them all out and they taste exactly as you might expect them to taste (again, another shock – I figured he was giving me rubbish). Enjoy!

Ginger Sauce:
1 cup soy sauce
¼ cup of vinegar
1 small onion (7 oz)
1 small piece of ginger root (2 oz) DO NOT USE POWDER!
¼ lemon
½ cup of water
2 teaspoons of sugar

Place all ingredients in a blender and set to high speed. Mix for 2 minutes or until ginger and onion are finely chopped.

PS: I also have their mustard suace, Ginger salad dressing, and fried rice recipe if anyone is interested.

message 49: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Oct 17, 2011 01:26AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Cinnabon Recipe!

Ingredients

1 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup margarine, melted
4 1/2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, softened

1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
Directions

Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press Start.
After the dough has doubled in size turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
Roll dough into a 16x21 inch rectangle. Spread dough with 1/3 cup butter and sprinkle evenly with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Bake rolls in preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes. While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving.
Nutritional Information

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/clone-of-a-...

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 42500 comments Another one that is delicious is a tofu (or chicken) marinade.
1tsp veg oil, 1tsp sesame oil, 1tsp soy sauce, 1 tbs peanut butter with bits, 1tbs ketchup 1tsp chopped fresh ginger,2 tsp honey and 2 cloves chopped garlic. Marinade the protein for 2 hours. The tofu should be in matchbox sized rectangles and then topped with the marinade. Either grill or bake it in the oven.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread