Fantasy Book Club discussion

General group discussions > Do you like one series by an author but not the others?

Comments (showing 1-36 of 36) (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dawn (CaveatLector) I have found that I often like one series or book by an author but when I try other books by the same author I don't like them.
For example I love David Weber's Safehold series but so far have not found any of his other books that I like.
This makes me worry that I have written off other authors based on a book I didn't like and I might like some of their others.
Anybody have this same issue and what do you do?

Sean McVeigh (SeanMcVeigh) | 10 comments I love all of Robin Hobb's and R.A Salvatore's novels. However, Robin Hobb's pseudonym Megan Lindholm, I just can't get on with, but that's probably why she uses a pseudonym, due to her different style. However David Eddings, The Elenium, The Tamuli and The Belgariad are great but I couldn't get on with The Malloreon or his stand alone novels.

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 564 comments I have the same problem with Jim Butcher and R.A. Salvatore. I love what they are really well known for series, but the other series I find too much copying off of other authors or even one's own work.

David Coyne (David109) | 56 comments Kevin wrote: "I have the same problem with Jim Butcher and R.A. Salvatore. I love what they are really well known for series, but the other series I find too much copying off of other authors or even one's own w..."

I find that Eddings is fine in the Belgarion, but from then on it all slows down - and by the time he gets (for example) to Althalus, there's something magic in the pocket for every problem, which shouldn't be the point. There's no interest if you know he's got magic up his sleeve.

Leah | 56 comments The main reason why I did not like The Black Prism as much as I would have liked was because of the writing style. I've read the first few pages of The Way of Shadows and it looks to be written like a traditional epic fantasy (hopefully?). Maybe Weeks was trying to go for something with the style in TBP because of Kip's character but I did not like it.

Helen | 434 comments I liked all of Eddings (not read the last series) but I didn't like the duo Belgarath the Sorcerer or Polgara the Sorceress

Elise (ghostgurl) | 561 comments Only author I can think of like that is Jim Butcher. Well...maybe not. I just read the first book Furies of Calderon and didn't exactly love it, but I heard it gets better as it goes along, so I might come back to it. I love the Dresden Files series though. That's the only example I can think of.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series and Ward of Hurog duology but just could not get interested in Charles and Anna or the Raven series.

Sean Cunningham | 4 comments Jim Butcher. I loved the Codex Alera series, but I rarely like books written in first person, which of course all the Dresden novels are. Bit unfortunate, that one, because I'm sure I'd like them otherwise.

Keryl Raist (Kerylraist) | 120 comments Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I loved their first two trilogies. The Legends and Chronicles were my introduction to fantasy, which adds to the allure.

Then I read some of their non-Dragonlance stuff. It didn't do it for me. I read their later Dragonlance stuff, and they just repeated the same basic plot over again.

Finally I read the three newest books that have been added to the Chronicles, and they were just plain sad. I barely finished one, didn't finish the other, and almost wanted to cry with disappointment when the third came out, a year late, and was so lame.

Ruby Hollyberry | 31 comments I've got a similar situation with some of these same authors, like David Eddings - love the Elenium and Tamuli but can't hang with any of the other series. Robin Hobb - I thought the Ship trilogy was soooo much more interesting than the Apprentice books and I never bothered to read the last Fool book. FitzChivalry and all his trauma got old. Also I threw out the entire Dragonriders of Pern series but I kept the Pegasus/Rowan books by Anne McCaffrey. I like the psychics fairly well, although some of the same characterization problems occur. She writes her Pern characters like they are on General Hospital in the 70's. I don't like soap. I also haven't read an author's second-written and less-inspired series on several occasions (Robin Hobb, Jacqueline Carey, even my adored Fiona Patton).

Maggie K | 214 comments I generally like CJ Cherryh, but hated Foreigner and couldnt finish it

Traci I have loved every other book by Brandon Sanderson but couldn't finish Way of Kings. I don't like Brent Weeks' series but loved The Black Prism.

Wastrel | 147 comments Hard to say, because generally it seems i don't read the other series.

- Big fan of Robin Hobb's Farseer, Liveship Traders, and Tawny Man series... but never read Soldier Son, haven't got around to the new Rain Wild novels, and haven't even contemplated the Lindholm books. (By the way, Sean, in what way would you say the style of the Lindholm books differs?)

- I read Feist early on, but took ages to get around to the Empire novels - and still haven't moved on to other books by Wurts.

- Still haven't gone back to GRRM's earlier novels and stories.

- I've read the Drenai novels, and the Shannow novels, and Knights of Dark Reknown - but anything else by Gemell? no chance.

- Read Pern, but nothing else by her.

- Read most of the Thomas Covenant books, but never read the Gap, or... the other thing, the name of which escapes me.

- And so on and so on...

I don't know why this is. Maybe it's that I'm hesitant to make a commitment to any new series and feel I should give other authors a chance?

Masha Toit | 14 comments Garth Nix. I love his Abhorsen trilogy and some of his other books too, but the "Seventh Tower" just does not appeal.

The "Keys of the Kingdom" series was OK but not nearly as much as Abhorsen. I get the sense he is bored with churning out new books for all these series.

Clinton Harding (cd_harding) | 71 comments Big fan of Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, love them. However, I have never gotten into his science fiction stories, not my cup of joe.

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) Robin Hobb - I loved the Farseer and related books (haven't read the latest one though). But I couldn't Shaman's Crossing, I couldn't continue past the first couple of chapters.

Terry Brooks - I enjoyed his Shannara books, and The Word and Void trilogy. I couldn't finish Magic Kingdom for Sale--Sold.

I used to read other series by my current favorite authors more readily when I was a lot younger and using the library. Later, I stopped checking out a current favorite author's other series because I tend to stay loyal to series, and I didn't want to feel a compulsion to invest in yet another one by the author.

Dana | 37 comments I have to go with Jim Butcher as well. I like the Dresdin books, but I couldn't get into the Codex Alera. I liked the first in the series ok, but I gave up on the second book after only a couple chapters.

Cheryl Landmark (clandmark) | 141 comments Niq wrote: "Terry Brooks - I enjoyed his Shannara books, and The Word and Void trilogy. I couldn't finish Magic Kingdom for Sale--Sold."

LOL, Niq, I'm the opposite! I really liked Brooks' Shannara series and his Magic Kingdom for Sales series (well, at least until "A Princess of Landover"--that one I didn't enjoy as much). But, I read the first book in his The Word and Void trilogy and, while it was okay, it didn't really appeal to me. I may read the next book eventually, but I'm not in a rush to do so.

message 20: by Kevin (last edited Dec 22, 2011 06:03AM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 564 comments Niq wrote: "Robin Hobb - I loved the Farseer and related books (haven't read the latest one though). But I couldn't Shaman's Crossing, I couldn't continue past the first couple of chapters.

Ter..."

That is what a lot of people say about Hobb, but I love her Soldier and Son series more than I did Fool's Fate.

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) Cheryl wrote: "Niq wrote: "Terry Brooks - I enjoyed his Shannara books, and The Word and Void trilogy. I couldn't finish Magic Kingdom for Sale--Sold."

LOL, Niq, I'm the opposite! I really liked Brooks' Shann..."

I actually want to give Magic Kingdom for Sale another try. I first tried it over 10 years ago. Since the newer Landover books came out, which I've been interested in reading, I've become a bit more determined to start from the beginning. :)

Kevin, I hope I end up enjoying her Soldier and Son series. I own the first book, and I can't stand the thought of paying money for a book and not reading it (although I've done it before...I just don't like to do it).

Clinton Harding (cd_harding) | 71 comments Niq wrote: "I own the first book, and I can't stand the thought of paying money for a book and not reading it (although I've done it before...I just don't like to do it)."

I'm the same way. If I pay for a book I read it to the end, regardless if I'm feeling 'meh' about it. Also, I want to give the book a far shake. There are some authors who start slow and build to something great. Some.

Candice | 9 comments Niq wrote: "Robin Hobb - I loved the Farseer and related books (haven't read the latest one though). But I couldn't Shaman's Crossing, I couldn't continue past the first couple of chapters.

"

Same here. LOVED all the Farseer-related books. I forced myself through two of the Soldier Son books because I loved her other books so much - I figured I was just missing something. I finally had to give up.

message 24: by S. (new)

S. Taylor (sboydtaylor) | 13 comments How about liking the first book of a series and then not being able to stand the rest -- happened to me with Terry Brook's "Magic Kingdom of Landover Series".

Dawn (CaveatLector) I've had it go the other way around, I didn't like the first book and loved the next 5 with Michelle Sagara West's The Broken Crown (The Sun Sword, # 1) by Michelle Sagara West Sun Sword series.

message 26: by S. (new)

S. Taylor (sboydtaylor) | 13 comments Dawn wrote: "I've had it go the other way around, I didn't like the first book and loved the next 5 with Michelle Sagara West's The Broken Crown (The Sun Sword, # 1) by Michelle Sagara West Sun Sword series."

That's pretty wild. If I didn't like the first book in a series, I don't think I would read any of the rest (though I would probably try another series by the same author). I respect your determination. :)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 416 comments I especially loved Dave Duncan's Seventh Sword trilogy, and his Great Game series, but his other series don't have the same oomph for me. His SF books in particular are flat, except for
Strings.

Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger (Mole) | 7 comments I love the Dresden files from JIm Butcher but hate the Codex Alera

Cheryl Landmark (clandmark) | 141 comments Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger wrote: "I love the Dresden files from JIm Butcher but hate the Codex Alera"

Can't get enough of that Harry Dresden, that's for sure! But, I do enjoy the Codex Alera series as well, although maybe not quite as much.

Clinton Harding (cd_harding) | 71 comments Cheryl wrote: "Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger wrote: "I love the Dresden files from JIm Butcher but hate the Codex Alera"

Can't get enough of that Harry Dresden, that's for sure! But, I do enjoy the Codex Alera seri..."

I agree. Alera was good but Dresden was so much better. I can't put my finger on why that is, I enjoy high fantasy more than paranormal mysteries. Go figure.

Carol. [All cynic, all the time] Ditto with everyone on Butcher's Dresden versus Codex Alera. (Poor Butcher, to have that fan response, since he obviously loves it so much).

I agree with Lisa--love Briggs' Mercy Thompson series, but don't enjoy the other books nearly as much, even though they have related characters. And while I have Ilona Andrew's Kate Daniel series on autobuy--including re-purchasing in hardcover, if they ever come out--I just don't care for the Edge series.

Agree with Niq as well--I enjoy Brooks' early Shannara, but the Landover series was a miss for me.

Cheryl Landmark (clandmark) | 141 comments Clinton wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger wrote: "I love the Dresden files from JIm Butcher but hate the Codex Alera"

Can't get enough of that Harry Dresden, that's for sure! But, I do enjoy the C..."

LOL, Clinton, I'm the same way! High or epic fantasy is my all-time favourite of the genre, but there is just something about The Dresden Files that appeals to me. Maybe it's that Harry, for all he is a wizard, also seems so human and vulnerable. He gets battered and beaten and pummeled to within an inch of his life by all manner of supernatural baddies in every book, but he always manages to bounce back with his trademark sarcastic sense of humour intact. And, then, there's Bob. I can't help but love the snarky, trashy romance reading spirit in the skull!

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 416 comments Carol wrote: "Ditto with everyone on Butcher's Dresden versus Codex Alera. (Poor Butcher, to have that fan response, since he obviously loves it so much).

I agree with Lisa--love Briggs' Mercy Thompson series..."

I prefer the Alera books, at least up until they got all political. While they were all about Tavi learning who he was, they were fun. The Dresden books are a bunch of meh magical mysteries, as far as I can tell. I could be wrong, I lost interest years ago. Some of the characters were shoddy, they didn't act reasonably, and the 'multiple courts of vampires' idea was a turn-off.

message 34: by Clinton (last edited Dec 26, 2011 01:29PM) (new)

Clinton Harding (cd_harding) | 71 comments Cheryl wrote: "Clinton wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Tim (Mole) The Gunslinger wrote: "I love the Dresden files from JIm Butcher but hate the Codex Alera"

Can't get enough of that Harry Dresden, that's for sure! But, ..."

I would read a Bob-centered book! I love that snarky skull! The way James Marsters does the voice in the audio books is perfect!

Traci One of my favorite books is Howl's Moving Castle. It was my first Diana Wynne Jones and even though I don't hate her other books I don't like them as much.

Also, Robin Hobb. She is one of my favorite writers. But I must admit when I'm not reading about Fool she loses my interest a little.

Sonia Lal | 19 comments Yeah. With David Weber, I like his Safehold books & Prince Rojer & War God series, but not his Honor one (I dislike most of his other series, too).

With Robin Hobb, I liked her Assassin series, but not the Wild Rain or Soldier Son series.

With Anne Bishop, I love love love her Black Jewel books, but not the Tir Alainn one.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Way of Shadows (other topics)
The Black Prism (other topics)
Belgarath the Sorcerer (other topics)
Polgara the Sorceress (other topics)
Furies of Calderon (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michelle Sagara West (other topics)
Dave Duncan (other topics)