Classic Horror Lovers discussion

The Cask of Amontillado
This topic is about The Cask of Amontillado
Tales to Chill Your Blood Reads > The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allen Poe *Spoilers*

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 1285 comments Mod
Now for some Poe. Thanks to MountainShelby for the link:

http://poe.thefreelibrary.com/Cask-Of...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 1285 comments Mod
This thread got buried, so I'm bumping it up.

MountainShelby Looking forward to everyone's comments.

The following link has very accessible background information on the story, with spoilers:
http://www.poedecoder.com/essays/cask/

The Wikipedia link, but with **many spoilers,** is very well done:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cask...

From Wikipedia re. The Wine: Amontillado is a variety of sherry, characterized by being darker than fino but lighter than oloroso. It is named for the Montilla region of Spain, where the style originated in the 18th century, although the name 'amontillado' is sometimes used commercially as a simple measure of colour to label any sherry lying between a fino and an oloroso. An amontillado sherry begins as a fino, fortified to approximately 13.5 percent alcohol with a cap of flor yeast limiting its exposure to the air. A cask of fino is considered to be amontillado if the layer of flor fails to develop adequately, is intentionally killed by additional fortification or is allowed to die off through non-replenishment. Without the layer of flor, amontillado must be fortified to approximately 17.5 percent alcohol so that it does not oxidise too quickly. After the additional fortification, amontillado oxidises slowly, exposed to oxygen through the slightly porous American or Canadian oak casks, and gains a darker colour and richer flavour than fino.

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments This is a favorite of mine from Poe. Or, at least it was. It's been a while, so I'm going to have to reread it. lol

message 5: by Bellis (new)

Bellis | 11 comments I know that I read it ages ago, but I remember it mostly from this German (sorry) audio version. (They have The Tell-Tale Heart and Annabel Lee in English, though. And their readings are usually really well done.)

Not sure if I'm going to re-read it right know.

message 6: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 297 comments Our sister podcast, PODCASTLE (which occasionally does dark fantasy), has done a reading of this (seemingly, the mispronunciation of "Amontillado" bugged some people, but the reading outside of that is great!) available here.

And while I consider "Amontillado" the Poe story that least needs a sequel, PSEUDOPOD also ran this a while later (before I was editor)... "Something There is" by Joe Nazare - I really love the Luchesi voice in this.

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments I reread this one last night. Great story!

I wonder if there's something in Poe's psyche that makes him brick characters up in a wall. This isn't the only story where a character of his finds this horrid fate. LOL Thinking of this and his short story The Premature Burial, makes me think that maybe it was a fear of his. Was Poe claustrophobia, perhaps? It gave me a good chuckle, at any rate.

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 164 comments I think he just found the idea of burial alive to be the scariest possible fate, so he kept returning to it. Fall of the House of Usher and The Black Cat play on the theme, too.

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments You could say that The Tell Tale Heart is another one. And you're probably right, Cathy. I gave The Premature Burial a reread last night, and it gets pretty scary near the end there. Just imagining waking up in a closed, confined area, in complete darkness with the stench of soil would cause a panic attack to end all panic attacks within myself alone. LOL

message 10: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 164 comments It WOULD be a bad way to go, wouldn't it?

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments Oh, definitely! The thought makes me sweat, and I'm not even claustrophobic!

message 12: by Bellis (new)

Bellis | 11 comments If anybody is interested in a non-fiction book on the topic of premature burial, I can recommend "Buried Alive - The Terrifying History of Our Most Primal Fear" by Jan Bondeson. (Poe's stories are mentioned a few times.)

Buried Alive  The Terrifying History of Our Most Primal Fear by Jan Bondeson

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments Awesome! Thanks, Bellis!

MountainShelby Excellent points. Fear of premature burial resonated across the social spectrum. I will never forget hearing about scratch marks on the undersides of coffin lids. Creepy.

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments I've heard those stories too, Shelby. Also with the body all twisted around as though struggling to get out.

I think I'd simply die from screaming. I'd eat up all the oxygen and suffocate. LOL

Maybe I am claustrophobic...

message 16: by Martha (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 324 comments Mod
My favorite way to experience this story is watching "An Evening with Edgar Allan Poe" in which Vincent Price tells the story in an amazingly entertaining manner. I could probably watch Price tell any story and love it, but this is a great one!

I saw this recently and thought of Poe, I don't know if anyone else follows this site: http://atlasobscura.com/blog/day-16-b...

Jason (Darkfiction) | 164 comments Creepy site! Thanks for the link, Martha!

MountainShelby That was an interesting article.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Buried Alive: The Terrifying History of Our Most Primal Fear (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Joe Nazare (other topics)