The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > November Group Read Polls are .....

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori | 8385 comments Mod
Please read the rules for nominating BEFORE you create your post!! And check our bookshelves to be sure you are not nominating something we have already read as a group!

The categories going forward will remain as follows (based on your feedback):

Cat1- Regular Fiction/Non-Fiction
Cat2- Classics

In order for a novel to count as "Classic" it must be published pre-1980.

Only ONE nomination per person.
If you nominate a book for catagory 1, you CANNOT nominate a book for catagory 2, and visa versa.

Please be sure to post the title, author, and the catagory it belongs to.

Ideally, you can type it as follows -
Cat 1. Room - Emma Donoghue

If your post does not have those three things, it will not be counted.

Are you ready?

I will accept nominations through Wednesday afternoon. If we get tons of nominations, I may pull the plug on it a little early, so get them in as soon as you can!

Once I close nominations I will create the polls and let you know when it is time to vote!

Hit us with your best noms!

Angie (Seren-Lucy) I apologise if I overlooked this book in the bookshelf, but I'm pretty certain its not there.

Cat 2: Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Wendy Barlow | 101 comments Cat 1:The Bottoms by Joe R Lansdale

Wendy Barlow | 101 comments Cat 1: Hellfire by Mia Gallagher

Colleen | 65 comments Cat 2 Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier

message 10: by Rory M. (last edited Oct 16, 2011 12:35PM) (new)

Gitte (GitteTofte) | 210 comments Dawn wrote: "Cat 1: The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides."

I'll second The Marriage Plot!

message 14: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori | 8385 comments Mod
Meg wrote: "Cat 2: Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll"

Did you check our bookshelf? Pretty sure this was already a group read.....

Heather L (WordTrix) | 7095 comments Lori wrote: "Meg wrote: "Cat 2: Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll"

Did you check our bookshelf? Pretty sure this was already a group read....."

Lori, Still Alice by Lisa Genova was a group read, but neither Alice's Adventures in Wonderland nor Through the Looking-Glass have been chosen yet.

message 17: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori | 8385 comments Mod
Ahaa... I knew there was an Alice :)

Heather L (WordTrix) | 7095 comments Since it has come close a few times, and hasn't been renominated yet this month...

Cat 2: Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë

Meg (mkop359) Lori wrote: "Ahaa... I knew there was an Alice :)"

I was gonna say... I thought for sure I checked and didn't see it. Glad I'm not losing it.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone i had a question, can i post any fiction book for cat 1?

message 24: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori | 8385 comments Mod
One fiction book, so long as it's fiction!

But hurry. Noms are closing very soon!

message 25: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori | 8385 comments Mod
http://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/12...

The polls are up.

A bit disappointed in the number of nominations we recvd this month. Are we getting tired of group reads guys?

The polls will remain open until Sunday morning. Have at it!!!

Think | 332 comments Lori.
Maybe you should send out a group email when nominations are open. The only reason I knew was because I get the daily email from the group.
Just an idea!

Angie (Seren-Lucy) Hi Lori,

Sorry to be a nuisance, but I have nominated Tess of the D'Ubervilles for Cat 2 for the past two months and it never seems to end up on the polls. Not sure if it is being left off for a reason or just overlooked.

Cheers,
Angie

message 28: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori | 8385 comments Mod
Hi Angie, You're not being a nuisance.

In the first post, I state that we need author and title included in the nominations for the book to be included. In this case, you've only posted the title.

Third time is always a charm :)

message 29: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori | 8385 comments Mod
THink.... you got it. Mass email on it's way!! I've got to get better at using that!

Angie (Seren-Lucy) Thanks Lori. I'll try again next month.

Tina Lori,

I got busy with work and forgot about the nominations this month. A mass email is a great idea for me. Thanks!

Yuliya (Yuliyalovestoread) | 1676 comments I already did. I think I was first or second who elect! Thank you anyway. mass email always a good idea

message 33: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori | 8385 comments Mod
Kyle, you are a bit late to the party for nominations... and your attempt is also missing one vital pc of info.

Better luck next time!

Oh, and by the way, feel free to vote on the noms for this month's choice while they are open!

Stephanie (steffercat) | 1 comments Cat.1 Lost Edens - Jamie Patterson Lost EdensJamie Patterson
Lost Edens by Jamie Patterson

message 35: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori | 8385 comments Mod
Steph, sorry. The noms are already closed for this coming month. Hang on to that nom for next month!!

In the meantime, feel free to vote for the ones that were nominated already.....

message 36: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori | 8385 comments Mod
Your November group reads are:

MIDDLESEX and ALICE IN WONDERLAND

Don't forget that our Author/Reader discussion book is VOLT, featuring author Alan Heathcock!

Eko | 1 comments I nominate Lost Edens for book club!

Wendy Barlow | 101 comments I read Middlesexa couple of months ago so i don't need to read it again, but I may just read [book:Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Used to have it as a pop-up book when I was young but have never actually read it as an adult.

message 39: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori | 8385 comments Mod
Eko... maybe you missed the posts, but we have already chosen our books for next month!

Gabriella (stardust_126) | 420 comments When are we going to start the discussion for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass?

message 41: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori | 8385 comments Mod
Sorry... I've been tied up with family issues this week.. I'll put the threads up asap

Gabriella (stardust_126) | 420 comments Oh it's ok, thanxs... I was just wondering when we are going to start. I'm really excited to start talking about this one.