Connecting Readers and Writers discussion

General > Introduce Yourself

Comments (showing 51-100 of 2,028) (2028 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Douglas (ValerieDouglasakaVJDevereaux) | 5 comments Hi everyone! I'm primarily an independent writer now, but I've also been traditionally published, and of course I'm a voracious reader. I read a lot of the classics before I was out of high school - and not because they made me!
Now I'm the 'prolific writer and genre-crosser" - (someone else's description not mine, and I always wonder if someone will misread that last as gender-crosser...) of eighteen fantasy/thriller/horror/romance novels, and variations in between. What you'll always find are engaging complex characters that you wouldn't mind sitting down to have a conversation with. (again not my words *grin*)

message 52: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis | 1 comments Hi Everyone! My fourth novel--THE MANICURIST--was recently released by Bell Bridge Books and is available on Kindle and in print. I welcome readers and reviews, both on Goodreads and on Amazon, and will gladly return the favor when prompted! I am currently working on a semi-autobiographical novel about growing up as a child of Holocaust survivors.
www.phyllisschieberauthor.com

message 53: by Mari (new)

Mari Mann (MariMann) | 12 comments Valerie wrote: "Stephen King says the only thing he got out of a writing seminar was his wife Tabitha! He also says that no writer can claim that title unless they're a reader. How can you write well without readi..."

Valerie: King's book On Writing is, in my opinion, the best book about writing, or at least one of the best. He makes you believe that yes, Virginia, you too can become a writer while simultaneously making you understand the blood, sweat and tears you'll experience while writing. SK is not afraid to face the demons, both the ones under his bed and the ones at his writing desk :)

message 54: by Letizia (new)

Letizia Sechi (letiziasechi) Hi everyone, I'm Letizia Sechi and I'm an Italian reader :) As you may argue from my bookshelf there's not a specific genre I like most, I'm kind of omnivouros one!

I'm also editor at 40k: it's a digital and multilanguage publishing house focused in novelettes (science fiction and fantasy, mostly) and essays.

Look forward to listen to your reading recommendations!

message 55: by Tara (new)

Tara Lee | 2 comments I'm Tara. I read. A lot. Mostly fantasy and all the genres that encompass it. But if someone gives me a different kind of book, I'll read that too. I like stuff from James Patterson to Jonathan Kellerman to Kristin Cashore to Lauren Kate to Lisa Mantchev. I'm also in the process of trying to write something.

And something interesting about me? I'm an artist. A jack of all trades master of none. I love photography. I do that pretty well. But I also draw, paint, photoshop, etc.

message 56: by Aya (new)

Aya Adel | 3 comments Hello !! I'm Aya , I'm 18. Egyptian.
faculty of pharmacy clinical program Cairo university.
I'm not considering those as my identity .
I love writing , it is my passion.
i have a blog , it is new which I would love you to check and more important leave comments ..
i;m new and i would love to be supported .
and let's have a start here now !!...
MY blog is www.stingingblog.blogspot.com :)..can't w

message 57: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 19 comments Karen wrote: "(Anyone out there an illustrator who might want to collaborate on a self-published picture book?...)"

Try JacketFlap (website). It is a site for children's authors, publishers, illustrators, to connect and there are a ton of great illustrators there.

message 58: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 19 comments Phyllis wrote: "Hi Everyone! My fourth novel--THE MANICURIST--was recently released by Bell Bridge Books..."

Bell Bridge is a really good "up and commer" press. My wife runs a small imprint, Ridan (which also does very well) and she has been "watching them" and likes what she sees (and she knows her stuff when it comes to publishers who are "doing things right). For any Mystery writers she also has been liking Midnight Ink.

message 59: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Faulkner Barber | 9 comments Hello and I'm so grateful to be a part of this great group. I'm Jeannie Faulkner Barber...I started including my maiden name when several HS friends connected on Facebook. Since, I've been told our ancestors trace back to William Faulkner, the reknown author, I told me hubby, Monte...well it can't hurt me! I'm self-pubbed by Desert Coyote Productions of which Don A. Martinez owns. He is the editor/publisher. Scent of Double Deception is my co-authored suspense which you'll find on Goodreads in a giveaway, so check it out! I have two passions, writing and racing...Monte and I dragrace...I have my car - he has his. I also own the most trophies and have won the most money. If you're on Facebook, be sure to friend me and check out my Fan Page. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?i...
Also, I am The Pen Temptress. My blog is: www.jeanniefaulknerbarber.blogspot.com
Please stop by and check it out. Let me know if I can return the favors. Have a blessed day!

message 60: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Shaughnessy (joyceshaughnessy) | 78 comments HI, I'm joyce Shaughnessy, and I write about historical fiction. Before it has been about the American Depression and WW2 in the Philippines - 2 books (A Healing Place and Blessed Are the Merciful. I am writing one now that is more centered in ww2 China/Burma/India theatre. Thank you, Haresh for putting my widget on my author page. I assume it was you. I admit to being a little ignorant of the internet. Word and WordPerfect are the only things I know I can master because I was a Certified Legal Assistant for years, and that's all I did for about 90% of my time. I am trying to come out of my shell. I even have a blog that my publisher set up, but how in the world do you write a blog that anyone cares about? I enjoy the process of writing my books and meeting people at events, but this has me stumped. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Please help me with my internet phobia! Joyce S.

message 61: by Whitebeard (last edited Oct 17, 2011 12:08PM) (new)

Whitebeard Books First of all, Elle, thanks a ton for the invitation to the group. Not only do I love the concept, we have adopted it as a company philosophy! By the by, can I list as a completed "read" after spending an hour reading all the posts here? No, oh well! I'm foremost an avid reader, but that sort of understood, I am also a published author with more than twenty titles in print under multiple pseudonyms. More importantly, I'm affiliated with an entertainment company that owns two imprints, Augusta-HeritagePress.com a mainstream fiction/non-fiction publisher, HeartofValentine.com an erotica/romance publisher, CrookedRiverStudio.com a recording/visual arts studio that does everything from cover art to signed, numbered, limited frameable prints to audio books and more in the not too distant future. So you're asking what the hell is WhiteBeardBooks.com then? We're an online media sales outlet that will take our own publications, other independent publishers, self published authors, consignment artists, photographers works and more to serve as a link to the consuming public. We're new to this vertical intergration thing, including the digital world but have been in publishing since 1984. Please feel free to ask any sort of questions, and I'll check back in here as frequently as I can and answer them for you. If I can, I'll even start a thread for that specific purpose.

message 62: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 91 comments Hey sorry, I had a whole lot of invites and finally went through them! Thank you Elle for inviting me and I can't wait to start talking in threads, it is really fun and exciting to talk to authors about their books and other readers. I'm sure this is another group which will only feed my to-read list! I'm a college student, my senior year of college and I'm studying Secondary Education, History. Scary thought of someone giving me a classroom in a year! I write not as much as I'd like because of school, have 2 YA books published, and a blog that I need to write more in probably! I love talking :) http://ottilieweber.blogspot.com

message 63: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Hornby (goodreadscomuser_jeanettehornby) | 14 comments Hi All, I live in a small country town in the south-west of Western Australia. I have been writing from a young age and have published my first book, 'Heart's Promise',and have others in the process.
Feel free to visit my website:
http://www.jeanettehornby.com.au/

ebooks also available at:
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/heart...

message 64: by Joyce (last edited Oct 19, 2011 06:29AM) (new)

Joyce Shaughnessy (joyceshaughnessy) | 78 comments H, everyone! I am Joyce Shaughnessy and an author of two published books of historical fiction. I live in Midland, TX. I am self-published and would like to join the group since you are all people in the same boat as me. Feel free to visit my websites at;
www.blessedarethemerciful.net and www.novelahealingplace. Thanks! Joyce Shaughnessy

message 65: by Serracin (new)

Serracin | 15 comments Hello. Thanks for the open invitation. Just published first ebook thriller in a series. The second book is done, and a third in the early creation process.

I have a website with Q&A FAQ that explains the work, the name and where I would like to keep traveling with it all.
http://www.serracinthrillers.com

Marketing and getting the book reviewed and read is a process that is not my cup of green tea. So, I am happy to explore it all here with your group.

message 66: by Serracin (new)

Serracin | 15 comments Tara wrote: "I'm Tara. I read. A lot. Mostly fantasy and all the genres that encompass it. But if someone gives me a different kind of book, I'll read that too. I like stuff from James Patterson to Jonathan Kel..."

Post a link to your art work, if you would.

message 67: by EZRead (new)

EZRead eBookstore | 1 comments Hello everyone!

I am EZRead Staffer, Amelia - and avid reader, writer, and plain old lover of the written word. I'm one of the admins for the EZRead website, which is an online eBookstore and indie author publisher.

It's great to see so many indie authors, here. I can't wait to get to know you all better.

Thanks for inviting me to the group!

message 68: by Gerry (new)

Gerry Burnie (gerrybooks) | 21 comments Hi everyone. My name is Gerry Burnie and I am a writer of Canadian historical fiction from a gay perspective.

The type of history I refer to is seldom found in textbooks, and yet it is very much part of the Canadian experience. I call it "pioneer social history" because it deals with the lives and times of ordinary citizens. However, since these stories usually went to the grave with them it is necessary to reconstruct their lives from journals and fist-hand accounts.

This, then, is the function of historical fiction: ‘historical,’ because it is a reasonably accurate reconstruction from existing records; and ‘fiction,’ because it is a composite of the lives and attitudes of the times--both the good and the bad. It also serves to mark a lifestyle that might otherwise be forgotten.

All these elements are certainly true of gay pioneers because, quite understandably, there are few published diaries or first-hand accounts of them. Not only was it an extremely dangerous thing to do, but most GLBT men and women were not ‘out’ to their families or friends. Moreover, they were even loathe to reveal a lifetime of secrets after death--often directing that their personal papers be destroyed by a trusted friend.

Without historical fiction, therefore, this very real and important aspect of pioneer life might be overlooked and forgotten, and along with it many of the contributions these individuals made--including the recognition of homosexuality as a fact of life.

message 69: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Samuels (goodreadscomWolfdreamer1990) | 1 comments Hi my name is Jessica Samuels, and I am a self-published author. I have been writing since the fifth grade. I love writing poetry, novels, and short stories.

message 70: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Brooks (Kathleen-Brooks) Elle wrote: "This is exactly what it appears to be, the place to introduce yourself. So start of by telling us if you are a READER or a WRITER, then tell us something interesting about you. Here, I'll start.

..."

My name is Kathleen Brooks and I am both a writer and a reader. Something interesting about me, I can name all of the University of Kentucky basketball players and who UK is recruiting. I also have three dogs and a cat who thinks he's a dog.

message 71: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Alvarez (xStephyx) | 2 comments Hi! I'm a reader and hoping to be a writer/Author in the future. I'm Stephanie Alvarez. I will read just about anything. (:

message 72: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Faulkner Barber | 9 comments Hey Stephanie...My new suspense, Scent of Double Deception is on Amazon, Createspace, and Goodreads. https://www.createspace.com/3649835 http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...
http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B005Q9QA1I
I have a Facebook Fan Page and would be very grateful if you'd 'like' it, too.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?i...
Also, I am The Pen Temptress. My blog is: www.jeanniefaulknerbarber.blogspot.com
Please stop by and check it out. Let me know if I can return the favors. Just keep on writing and you'll reach that goal! Have a blessed day!

message 73: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Alvarez (xStephyx) | 2 comments okay I will. & Thank you! (:

message 74: by Aya (new)

Aya Adel | 3 comments check my blog :) .. www.stingingblog.blogspot.com

message 75: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Faulkner Barber | 9 comments Aya, I checked out your blog, and recommended it on Google, but didn't see where I could follow you. :-(

message 76: by Clarissa (new)

Clarissa (Clarissasbookblog) | 1 comments Hello all, I'm Clarissa. Thanks for the invite Elle. I am a reader with dreams of becoming a writer. I am hoping that NaNo will give me the push I need to start. So in 11 days, I may start calling myself an author. In the mean time, I am a stay at home mother of three and one of those is a six month old. We'll see if I can get my 2K in each day.

As I mentioned, I am a reader, and a reader first for sure. I can enjoy any well written book, but mostly I stick with YA. I have a blog where I and my sister-in-law review books. http://thebooksweread.com/

message 77: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Shaughnessy (joyceshaughnessy) | 78 comments Hi, Elle. I have a dog who acts like a cat. He sits and watches the t.v. like our cat once did. He barks when he sees other cats or dogs on T.V. He'll drive you crazy. I am a writer of historical fiction, so I have tended to read mostly nonfiction lately. I have to for research, and I've really found some interesting books doing that. I think my favorite is Ghost Stories by Hampton Sides. I saw him on T.V. and liked him there, too, if I were only 20 years younger. Before I started writing, James Patterson and Nelson DeMille took up my time. I still love them and will up any book for Nelson DeMille. He tells a good story and is hilarious.

message 78: by Aya (new)

Aya Adel | 3 comments Well thanks !! really a big time,, what do you think? Honestly?

message 79: by Melissa (last edited Oct 19, 2011 11:59AM) (new)

Melissa (melissa_wy) Hey Elle, thanx for the Invite!

My name is Melissa =) I'm an avid reader and I love discovering new authors. I have been on a Indie author kick lately! I love Paranormal, YA, YA sci-fi, Romance, Adult YA, dystopian, and post-apocolyptic...really I'll give anything a try!!

Hope to receive and give some suggestions!

Happy day to all of ya!
xoxo
Melissa =)

message 80: by Karen (new)

Karen (KarenInglis) | 7 comments Hi - I'm Karen Inglis and I'm a recently self-published children's author based in London, UK. My first book, which is a time-slip mystery adventure with a modern twist, is aimed at readers aged 8-11, although it seems to being going down pretty well with ages in the UK and in the USA! I love the idea of this group and look forward to interacting with writers and readers in between the endless marketing I am currently caught up in! This indie route is exhausting by enjoyable! See you soon! Karen

message 81: by David (new)

David Fleming (DavidWallaceFleming) | 9 comments Hello there, I'm a writer with a message to get out and so I use just about every written medium: essay, novel, narrative poem, short story, casual podcast, you get the idea. What's my message you might ask? Well I'm not going to just tell you in this post...

Okay, fine: I write about the effect that recent technologies have on our real, everyday lives and about the changes that those technologies make to our relationships.

I've been writing for publication for over ten years. In that time I've had two short stories published. And a couple regrettable near-misses on a debut novel.

I'm a fairly active, out-going person--not introverted or shy in everyday life. I was in a fraternity in college (not necessary considered very cool, but I'll admit it), have worked as a design engineer in aerospace (and also as a substitute teacher for pretty much all grades and subjects). Oh, and I was a not-so-great, red-shirt highjumper for a little over a year at ISU.

As far as books are concerned, I read mostly the classics in fiction, nonfiction and poetry with the occasional contemporary work mixed in.

message 82: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Shaughnessy (joyceshaughnessy) | 78 comments Hi, Karen! I admire anyone who writes childrens' books. I've tried, but they sound stilted. I have no idea how to begin. I heard that they sell better. I write historical fiction, which I really love. I have published 3 novels and am writing my fourth. It's a little different, and I hope it isn't sounding stilted. I'm not relying so much on the war to make the action happen, so it all has to come from my head. Hope my brain is up to it! J. Shaughnessy

message 83: by Ben (new)

Ben Galley (BenGalley) | 2 comments Hello people, I am proud to say I'm a WRITER of all things fiction and fantasy. This year I released my debut book, and consequently became on the UK's youngest self-published authors.

THE WRITTEN is a dark book, fast-paced and breathless, thick with magick and mystery, as much a crime thriller as it is a fantasy adventure. I've just finished the sequel PALE KINGS, which should be coming out early next year!

Delighted to meet you all, and if you'd like to know more then head to www.bengalley.com!

message 84: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie Faulkner Barber | 9 comments Big congrats to you Ben!
Jeannie

message 85: by Karen (new)

Karen (KarenInglis) | 7 comments Joyce wrote: "Hi, Karen! I admire anyone who writes childrens' books. I've tried, but they sound stilted. I have no idea how to begin. I heard that they sell better. I write historical fiction, which I real..."

Hi Joyce! Nice to meet you. I'm not sure about children's books selling better! Here in the UK it is a notoriously underpaid and non-money making career - unless you are JK Rowling! But I'm willing to give it a go - for love rather than money! And I now have some lovely reviews from children - and adults - which makes it all worthwhile!

Best of luck with your writing!

Kren

message 86: by Scott (last edited Oct 20, 2011 05:37PM) (new)

Scott Nicholson (scottnicholson) | 5 comments Hi I am Scott Nicholson, all-around troublemaker with words. Sold a few books, read a lot more. Looking forward to meeting more people as I try to change my reclusive hillbilly ways.

Mari, what island do you live on? We have a family house in Oriental on Pamlico Sound, I'll be spending some time there this winter fixing it up.

Scott Nicholson

message 87: by Elisabeth (last edited Oct 21, 2011 11:34AM) (new)

Elisabeth | 10 comments Hello, everybody! My name is Elisabeth Grace Foley and I'm a recently self-published author - my first book was released this month. I write historical fiction, particularly Westerns, though I'm interested in other periods of American history too - Civil War, Great Depression/WWII and pretty much everything in between. I've been a voracious reader ever since I learned how. As Michael (Sullivan) said, pretty much everything I know about writing I learned from reading, and I'm still learning. I'm new to Goodreads and I'm looking forward to finding my way around and getting better acquainted.

message 88: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Stephens (AdrianStephens) | 8 comments Hello everyone! I'd say thanks for the invite, but I crashed this party. I saw the group through a friend and thought I'd join.

My name is Adrian Stephens, and I am both a reader and writer. I write primarily young adult fiction. I like to take a fantasy and ground it in as much reality as possible.

I'm a husband and a father of two amazing children. There isn't much I don't like to do, which means I have a lot I like to do, and not nearly enough time to do it all. In my (if you can call it) spare time, I enjoy coaching my boys' baseball team, helping out at their school one day each week and filling in the gaps with writing. Sometimes there are more gaps than others, but I can't say I have any complaints.

message 89: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Shaughnessy (joyceshaughnessy) | 78 comments Hi, Elisabeth Grace! I am Joyce Shaughnessy, also a self-published author. I just did another giveaway and it is for my book, A Healing Place. I noticed your message because this book is about the Great American Depression and WWII in the Philippines. I accidentally gave it to Africa, but I wrote the Goodreads support team that I had made a mistake because it is only published in English. Anyway, I thought you might be interested, at least when it is straighted out- soon I hope! Anyway, welcome to the group, I love Goodreads. Almost everyone I have talked to has been so nice and helpful, especially to someone like me who is not very computer savvy at all, except for software like Word. I am trying though. Welcome! Joyce Shaughnessy

message 90: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) Hello, I'm Patricia (or Patty) and a self published author. Which I never saw coming. When I was younger I was all about art and thought I was horrible at writing. I guess I was bit by a writing bug or something. I have no idea, but now I have story after story in my head, putting the ones I hope people will enjoy out for the world to see. My favorite genre to write (and read) is YA paranormal. Vampires will never be out for my and my debut novel is a vampire story that people have been saying its a nice twist on vampires. Which is what I was going for. I also love making book trailers (who would have thought after the fuss I put up over not wanting to make my own.)

Um, what else... Oh, I live in Michigan with my hubby. We were married this year on April 1st. I picked that day on purpose too. Look forward to connecting with readers and writers here. ^_^

message 91: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 28 comments That's so cute!!! Congratulations!

message 92: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) Thanks, Mhairi, it was definitely an unforgettable day.

I have a question. Are we allowed to add books (our own or others) to the bookshelf?

message 93: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 28 comments I can't remember. I have a feeling not. Patti and Simon are the moderators - they should be able to tell you. I think you have to ask them... There are some rules, I know, just can't remember what they are!!

message 94: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) If not, that would explain why the bookshelf looks empty. lol

message 95: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Shaughnessy (joyceshaughnessy) | 78 comments Hi, Patty! This is Joyce Shaughnessy. I wish I had started writing at your age. I was in Los Angeles at a Pitchfest because Paramount is talking about making a movie about one of my books and most of the books out there were YA about vampires, but I think it's hot enough now that you can do great things! Read a book I recommend by Kristen Lamb called Are you there, Blog? You probably know a whole lot more about the computer than I do (everyone does), but it was pretty eye-opening for me and really funny.

message 96: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lynne (patricialynne07) Joyce, I've heard of Kristen's book and occasionally check out her blog, but I have yet to check out her book. Probably should one day. ^^ Paramount and your book? That is awesome. Hope it goes well.

message 97: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Shaughnessy (joyceshaughnessy) | 78 comments Thanks! I do, too. It could help me sell my book if nothing else, and it would be awesoe to see my characters actually come to life. Thanks, Joyce Shaughnessy

message 98: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Thornton (eileenthornton) | 8 comments Hello, my name is Eileen Thornton. I write articles and short stories for magazines. However, I now also write novels.
I enjoy reading fiction.

message 99: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth | 10 comments I have a question. Are we allowed to add books (our own or others) to the bookshelf?

Good question - I was wondering about that myself.

message 100: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Shaughnessy (joyceshaughnessy) | 78 comments Hi, Ottilie! I admire anyone who can write YA books. I just can't, although my very first book (1996) was liked by adults and YA as well. I just can't seem to get back into that area. Our kids need to learn to read early so they will continue the habit. I hate to think that we are raising a generation who only likes video games, TV and music (as if they consider those the only form of entertainment). They need to use their brains ocassionaly also. Good luck. I admire you a lot. I would be terrified to get up in front of a bunch of judging teenagers. I'm afraid I would fall way short. Joyce Shaughnessy

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Jewels (other topics)
Moonbeams (other topics)
Dusk Conspiracy (other topics)
Midnight Revelations (other topics)
Seven Point Eight : The First Chronicle (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Elle Lapraim (other topics)
Michael J. Sullivan (other topics)
Murdo Morrison (other topics)
Scott Nicholson (other topics)
Elisabeth Grace Foley (other topics)
More...