What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

The Secret Under My Skin
This topic is about The Secret Under My Skin
Children's/YA-SOLVED > girl living in a post-apocalyptic world gets chosen to be a servant and begins to learn the truth about the world around them. [s]

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeanette (last edited Oct 14, 2011 07:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeanette | 5 comments This book follows a young girl in a post-apocalyptic world (where people are too frightened to even go outside without a full suit of protection due to propaganda). It starts off when she is working in a childrens work camp and is preparing for Guy Fawkes day. She is selected to go work for this girl and I want to say ends up living with an older couple. They send her to work in the village at the looms, but she isn't good at it. She ends up becoming a pupil of the older man, and helping them take care of the inventer/crazy guy up the road. She learns how to read and really likes poetry... I'm pretty sure (as is usual for "post-apocalyptic, oppressive government" type books) some sort of revolution happens...

I'm really sorry, I know this isn't much to go on, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out what it was called. It was something I read when I was younger, so it's probably about 15 years old? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:)

message 2: by Rebecca (last edited Oct 14, 2011 02:43PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rebecca (liralin) | 205 comments Mod
Sounds a lot like The Secret Under My Skin by Janet McNaughton to me.

I've got a copy of this and can pull quotes for you, if I need to. Google Books allows some searching inside of it as well.

Jeanette | 5 comments Oh my goodness!! Yes! That's it!! Wow thank you so much! :)

Yay! I'm glad that was it. At first I was thinking I'd go try to search on some keywords, but the more I was thinking about it, the more it kept feeling really familiar to me.

There's also a sequel: The Raintree Rebellion.

Jeanette | 5 comments I didn't realize there was a sequel! I'll definitely have to hunt it down. :)

Also I tried to add the book to the bookshelf, but I don't think it worked. Any tips?

I added the book for you about the time I last replied. So, if you were just trying to add it, that probably was why it didn't seem to work, since it was already there. If you tried to add it earlier than that, then I'm not sure what was off. But you can find instructions on how to shelve in this thread.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Secret Under My Skin (other topics)
The Raintree Rebellion (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Janet McNaughton (other topics)