CBC Books discussion

Book Chat > Literary Awards: too many, not enough, or just right?

Comments (showing 1-2 of 2) (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

ErinCBC (booksin140) | 236 comments It's awards season and we all know what that means -- lots of shortlist announcements. With Patrick deWitt and Esi Eduygan making 4 major shortlists, we've been debating the following questions a lot around here:

Do we have too many awards?

How can awards differentiate themselves, if each strives to choose the "best" in Canadian literature?

Does having 2 authors make so many shortlists say more about the state of Canadian fiction or about the awards that chose them?

Etc.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!

Gerry Burnie (squire_burnie) | 14 comments ErinCBC wrote: "It's awards season and we all know what that means -- lots of shortlist announcements. With Patrick deWitt and Esi Eduygan making 4 major shortlists, we've been debating the following questions a l..."

Literary awards are an important aspect of an author's success, but I have always thought the Giller was a bit "incestuous" with a gene pool of only half-a-dozen authors, or so.

I doubt, for example, that one of my books (Gay historicl fiction) would get a place on the long list. Okay, I know you're going to point out that Linden McIntyre's "The Bishops Man" won last year, but it wasn't a gay book, per se. Moreover, I reviewed it and gave it four stars.

Nonetheless, when my new novel comes out next spring I'm going to enter it. It should be interesting to see the result.

unread topics | mark unread