Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

Chit Chat > Our First Anniversary

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Carol (actutor) This group will be one year old in a few days, so why don't we introduce ourselves again. We started as a small displaced group of readers from around the world, and have grown to 85 members.

How did you find Book Geeks?

Where do you live?

What is your favorite book of all time?

Besides reading, what else do you enjoy doing?

How is the weather in your area(October 2011)?

Theresa 1. I was one of the displaced iVillagers.
2. central Wisconsin
3. Gone With the Wind
4. writing
5. warmish (and foggy this morning)

I am so glad this group was started! I didn't want to lose my virtual reading community.

Carol (actutor) How did you find Book Geeks? I was wandering around looking for a new place to discuss my proclivity for reading

Where do you live? Smithville, NJ

What is your favorite book of all time? Little Women.

Besides reading, what else do you enjoy doing? Cooking, spending time with family and awaiting the return of Mad Men.

How is the weather in your area(October 2011)? Raining.

I lam so happy for the freedom this forum allows us.

reply | edit | delete | flag *

Mary | 236 comments Great idea, Carol. And I sure agree with you, Theresa, on being so grateful to still have this group!

How did you find Book Geeks? I migrated over here with several people from ivillage's Fiction Lovers.

Where do you live? Greeley, CO (northern CO)

What is your favorite book of all time? Too hard! I'll mention a couple from my earlier years I've remembered all my life: Charlotte's Web and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Besides reading, what else do you enjoy doing? Walking, Internet surfing, interacting with my chocolate Lab and three Ragdoll cats

How is the weather in your area(October 2011)? Some Indian summer going on, however today is fairly windy with about 60 degrees

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) Hi I am Lynne I recently joined and was introduced to the club by Melki.

I am from Gillingham in Dorset, UK, north of the county.

Favourite book - I have two that I love dearly Jane Eyre and The Stand

Besides reading I do proofreading, embroidery, kniiting and I collect Canadian Blue Mountain Pottery and witches.

It's wet and miserable here today in Dorset.

Robert (BobHE) Hi my name is Bob and I am an alcoholic
JHust joking though like Lynne Melki introduced me to this group and they both almost drive me to drink!!
I live in Hemel Hempstead in England
I like going to the gym walking and Rugby

Oh I go to the pub on occasions
Fav book difficult but would thik Lord Of THe Rings
Weather overcast but dry in London

Melki | 310 comments Mod
Hello - I'm Melki and yes, Bob is an alcoholic.

Book Geeks was one of the first groups I joined after finding Goodreads. Thought it looked like a fun group, and by golly...it is!

I live in Central Pennsylvania, having moved here from Pittsburgh about 4 years ago.

It's a close call, but my favorite book of all time is Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn.

When not reading, I can be found napping, doing needlework, walking my dog and spying on the neighbors.

October has actually been lovely so far (helping to make up for our super-crappy September). Leaves are changing and will probably be at their peak next week.

Happy Anniversary Book Geeks and Bookniks! Glad I met cha? You betcha! *wink,wink*

Heather Doherty | 96 comments Hi, I'm Heather

I followed Melki because I think she's hillarious.

I live in Detroit, Michigan.

Tough call, but today I'll say Middlesex.

When I'm not reading, I enjoy walking my 2 labs, gardening, and cooking.

Today is pretty lousy, but October has been beautiful so far, with lots of sunny days and temps in the 70's.

Sam (Ecowitch) | 157 comments Hi I'm Sam, one of the newer members I think...

How did you find Book Geeks? Felt the need to find fellow Book Geeks and upon searching this group appeared

Where do you live? Cardiff, South Wales

What is your favorite book of all time? Uhmmmmm...Dracula is one I keep returning to so I'll go with that one (although be warned it will vary on a daily basis)

Besides reading, what else do you enjoy doing? I enjoy running and cycling and generally just getting out and about, love baking (as do my family...when I'm doing it anyway) and I'm an avid winter jigsaw puzzler (work gets in the way in the summer), also a massive rugby and motogp fan.

How is the weather in your area(October 2011)? Today started very misty but has begun to clear up but so far this month it has been very up and down, had a week of warm sunny weather and its now turned autumnal again, still not too cold yet though.

Robert (BobHE) Heather wrote: "Hi, I'm Heather

I followed Melki because I think she's hillarious.

I live in Detroit, Michigan.

Tough call, but today I'll say Middlesex.

When I'm not reading, I enjoy walking my 2 ..."

Poor woman if think Melki is funny!!!!

Robert (BobHE) Sam wrote: "Hi I'm Sam, one of the newer members I think...

How did you find Book Geeks? Felt the need to find fellow Book Geeks and upon searching this group appeared

Where do you live? Cardiff, South W..."

Sam I read about you and feel we could have been friends
BUT I have just spent a weekend walking in the lake district with 2 Welsh FRIENDS and as there may have been a couple of Rugby matches on I can't takeany more insults so sorry

Bob

Melki | 310 comments Mod
Just a warning, Sam... stay far away from Bob. You can see how he treats his friends!

Sam (Ecowitch) | 157 comments Ah Bob, I get the feeling you are from across the border...there is little I can say after last weekend except to shake my head in pity for you, wasn't the best performance by either side. And there I shall leave it...

Thanks for the warning Melki, I get the feeling that he may be a bit sensitive after last weekend's results!

Sue J (Sue-J) | 54 comments 1. I'm another displaced iVillager

2. London

3. Such a cruel question! But today I'll say 'Rebecca'

4. Walking

5. A bit of a mixture ... mild, blustery, sunny/overcast.

Gretchen (gkonkler5) How did you find Book Geeks? Tag along from iVllage

Where do you live? Wyoming

What is your favorite book of all time? The Book of Dead Birds: A Novel by Gayle Brandeis

Besides reading, what else do you enjoy doing? Cooking

How is the weather in your area(October 2011)? 52 and partly cloudy. Have a little snow on the mountain.

Robert (BobHE) What is a displaced i Villager was that a group that folded?
sorry if people saw posts I deleted but must have been a problem with my phone

Thanks Melki for pointing out people will think I am mad

Sam (Ecowitch) | 157 comments Robert wrote: "What is a displaced i Villager was that a group that folded?

Thanks Melki for pointing out people will think I am mad"

We don't just think you're mad, Bob, we know you are ;-)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) Sam wrote: "Robert wrote: "What is a displaced i Villager was that a group that folded?

Thanks Melki for pointing out people w..."

I'll second that!

Melki | 310 comments Mod
Just stop phoning from the pub, Bob. That should fix all your phone problems.

Sam (Ecowitch) | 157 comments Melki wrote: "Just stop phoning from the pub, Bob. That should fix all your phone problems."

Damn good point there Melki!

Robert (BobHE) Among all the none drinking advice WHAT IS AN I Villager

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) Robert wrote: "Among all the none drinking advice WHAT IS AN I Villager"

Have you got a hangover this morning as you had a few too many last night?

By the way I never did drink my Piddle in a Bottle, may have it tonight instead!

message 23: by Caroline (last edited Oct 14, 2011 06:25AM) (new)

Caroline How did you find Book Geeks? My friend Tina found the group first, and I just followed her over here.

Where do you live? Suburban Baltimore, Maryland

This is SO hard to choose, but I'm going to go with the Harry Potter series as a whole. There are many, many very close seconds.

I'm a pretty boring homebody and don't have any hobbies right now. At this point in time I'm a busy at-home mom to two young daughters. Ok, well, I want to clarify. When I can't be found reading I am surfing the 'net, shopping, napping, watching t.v., and exercising at the gym. I'm boring.

Mild. Today it is rainy, but tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and windy.

Caroline Robert wrote: "Among all the none drinking advice WHAT IS AN I Villager"

Bob, it's www.ivillage.com, a site of tons of message boards. I myself was a member on there for about five years, on a message board for children born the same month and year as my daughter. Sarenna was in that same group too. I told her about this group. :)

Melki | 310 comments Mod
"Piddle in a Bottle", Lynne?

Okay, I Googled it - see that it's a beer.
That's okay then...enjoy! (But I can't tell you the things that were going through my mind...)

Laurel (laureljean) | 146 comments Mod
How did you find Book Geeks? I was a member of the original group on For Fiction Lovers, the iVillage board.

Where do you live? A recent transplant to Cleveland, OH from Minneapolis, MN

What is your favorite book of all time? Light in August and on the comic side, A Confederacy of Dunces

Besides reading, what else do you enjoy doing? Baking and cooking, browsing through magazines, cookbooks, and food blogs for recipes, relaxing in my new environment and exploring Cleveland, keeping in touch with the friends I left behind in the Twin Cities.

How is the weather in your area(October 2011)? Gorgeous fall colors, rainy.

Melissa (melissa419) | 123 comments How did you find Book Geeks? Goodreads search

Where do you live? Buffalo, NY

What is your favorite book of all time? Jane Eyre

Besides reading, what else do you enjoy doing? Music, going to concerts, cooking, watching tv & movies

How is the weather in your area(October 2011)? Cool and rainy

Robert (BobHE) Caroline wrote: "Robert wrote: "Among all the none drinking advice WHAT IS AN I Villager"

Bob, it's www.ivillage.com, a site of tons of message boards. I myself was a member on there for about five years, on a mes..."

Caroline. Thank you for a nice sensible answer to a sensible question. Rather than people abusing me

Julie | 59 comments How did you find Book Geeks? Another migrant iVillager

Where do you live? Mountain Home, Arkansas

What is your favorite book of all time? The Stand by Stephen King

Besides reading, what else do you enjoy doing? We recently bought a travel trailer and I've come to love camping. I love to cook and eat and play Scrabble.

How is the weather in your area(October 2011)? Beautiful! Sunny and 70s. Fall is my favorite season!

message 30: by Heather (last edited Oct 17, 2011 01:19PM) (new)

Heather | 55 comments How did you find Book Geeks? From Laurel

Where do you live? Minneapolis, MN

What is your favorite book of all time? Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trombo

Besides reading, what else do you enjoy doing? Knitting, working in the yard, spending time with family.

How is the weather in your area(October 2011)? Cool and windy, though it is sunny today.

Stacey | 453 comments Mod
I've now read this thread in its entirety and I'm ready for a bottle of wine. whew! Bob, why do you antagonize Melki?

How did you find Book Geeks?

I'm another ivillager :) I was there for 9 years and there are a few here that were there befor me.

Where do you live?

Phoenix, AZ

First one that comes to mind...I adore The Epicure's Lament.

When I'm not reading, I love to cook and bake and I'm a taxi service to my kids. I'm always looking out for the next food and wine event. I'm going to start checking out my neighbors in my down time.

We're still in the triple digits(10.17.11), but the forecast is the 90's for the rest of the week.

Melki | 310 comments Mod
The Epicure's Lament is in my top ten too, Stacey.

Robert (BobHE) I've now read this thread in its entirety and I'm ready for a bottle of wine. whew! Bob, why do you antagonize Melki?

Stacey
We started talking and MELKI is a fan of British comedy. which with no disrespect is not always to American taste.
If when i go to work and we have a briefing and no one insults me abuses me or generally takes the Micky I think I have done something wrong! The only people who don't get abuse are the people we don't like and MELKI gets that. Or I hope she does or she will have been in tears for past few months!!

Melki | 310 comments Mod
*sobbing loudly* I HATE YOU BOB!

Robert (BobHE) Stacey
See I was wrong she has no humour
I see you are in Phoenix Been to Touson and flew out of Phoenix
My cousin married USAF engineer and posted to where aircraft grave yard is

Melki | 310 comments Mod
Bob and I have a strange and wonderful relationship. He's strange and I'm wonderful.

I can see you two need to be separated from time to time. Bob, I've been in Phoenix for 5 months and loving it.

Robert (BobHE) Stacey wrote: "I can see you two need to be separated from time to time. Bob, I've been in Phoenix for 5 months and loving it."

Glad you get it. Would you like me to insult you as well?

Robert wrote: "Stacey wrote: "I can see you two need to be separated from time to time. Bob, I've been in Phoenix for 5 months and loving it."

Glad you get it. Would you like me to insult you as well?"

You're too kind.

Sam (Ecowitch) | 157 comments I feel like I've joined up to some kind of insane asylum...should fit right in then!

Melki | 310 comments Mod
I'm pretty sure the inmates are running this asylum.

Robert (BobHE) Sam wrote: "I feel like I've joined up to some kind of insane asylum...should fit right in then!"
Course you do your Welsh

Sam- don't take that!

Sam (Ecowitch) | 157 comments Nah, he's right...but unlike some nations we're proud of our quirks and insanities and embrace them ;-)

bumping up for another ivillage friend! Welcome, Vicky!

Sam (Ecowitch) | 157 comments Welcome Vicky!

Carol (actutor) Vicky wrote: "How did you find Book Geeks? I found Stacey (from For Fiction Lovers at Ivillage) She sent me the link.

Where do you live? Washington (Pacific Northwest)

What is your favorite book of all time? G..."

Welcome Vicky! I'm glad you found us. If you can find any of our old villagers, invite them to join us. I was in your neck of the woods for an extended weekend.

Annika How did you find Book Geeks?

Like many on here, I'm also a displaced iVillager. I'm just so glad that this group got started b/c I was so sad the Fiction Lovers ended. This is such a special group.

Where do you live? Colorado

What is your favorite book of all time? The Stand

Golfing, skiing, tennis, going to my kids zillions of sporting events, going to concerts and the theater

I'm a little tardy posting to this thread. Oct. was pretty nice but November has been yucky. We've had sizable snowstorms two Wednesdays in a row and we're supposed to have snow showers tomorrow and Tuesday.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Jane Eyre (other topics)
The Stand (other topics)
Ella Minnow Pea (other topics)
Middlesex (other topics)
Dracula (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mark Dunn (other topics)
Gayle Brandeis (other topics)