Around the World discussion

A Fine Balance
This topic is about A Fine Balance
closed topics > A Fine Balance Group

Comments (showing 1-50 of 109) (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments So far Sue, Tanya, Mikki, myself and Anne have signed up for this group read. Is there anyone else who would be interested? When is a good time for everyone to read this?

message 2: by Tanya (new) - added it

Tanya (Tanya_) | 220 comments Judy wrote: "... When is a good time for everyone to read this?"

I haven't signed up for any other group reads so anytime works for me.

message 3: by Anne (last edited Oct 10, 2011 06:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne (reachannereach) No preference, as long as it doesn't overlap with any of the other group reads. Ha. I can see that this is going to become a problem. Judy and Sue, since both of you have the group reads on your computers, can you please chose a week, or do I mean a month ,for this read?

Wendy (wendywoo) | 75 comments I read this book a while back and really loved it. I'd love to participate in the discussion if you guys don't mind having me join you. Since I've already read it, I don't have a preference on the timing for the discussion. Just let me know whenever you all decide.

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Wendy, please join in as well as anyone else who has read it and would like to be part of the discussion. Sue, would you like to do the honors of picking a time frame for reading this since everyone is so agreeable as to the time?

Chrissie | 1276 comments I will join if I can. :0)

message 7: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke | 209 comments This is something i have wanted to read all year and haven't managed yet, so please count me in! it doesn't matter when you schedule it for, i'll figure out how to find time. lol.

message 8: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen I would like to join. This has been on my to-read list for a while.

message 9: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia (jujulia) | 28 comments I defintely want to join - I've just got the book from amazon and I've been weighing it in my hands just for the feel of it...Family Matters has been one of the best books I've read in a long while and so I'm excited to get on to this one....As for schedule, I'm rather open (any time is good or bad - I'm always planning to read something or another, but I'll find time for this one....)

message 10: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne (reachannereach) Julia wrote: "I defintely want to join - I've just got the book from amazon and I've been weighing it in my hands just for the feel of it...Family Matters has been one of the best books I've read in..."

Julia, you've been holding it while I've been looking at it, noticing that the book is just over 600 pages. I'm hoping that whoever takes charge of the calendar will consider this when planning other reads before and after this one.

message 11: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia (jujulia) | 28 comments Anne wrote: "Julia wrote: "I defintely want to join - I've just got the book from amazon and I've been weighing it in my hands just for the feel of it...Family Matters has been one of the best book..."

Yes, it's definitely a tome of a book - I used to love exactly that kind of format when I was younger, but now I'm sometimes reluctant to commit myself to a reading of that type. Still, I'm not with this one...Still, time management will be vital, of course - it's not a read of a couple of days, at least not for me....

message 12: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne (reachannereach) Julia, it's not a two or three day read for me either.

message 13: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen I vote for starting asap because I need a good excuse to order some more books. ;)

message 14: by Judy (last edited Oct 11, 2011 06:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Anne said: Julia, it's not a two or three day read for me either.
We might want to make this a three week to one month read. That would allow 150-200 pages per week. ??
Kristen wrote: "I vote for starting asap because I need a good excuse to order some more books. ;)"
Haha Love it!

message 15: by Mikki (new) - added it

Mikki Unless a book is slim (250 or so pages), maybe we can give it a full month and allow readers to enjoy at their own pace. My reading varies--there are times that I'll read 100 pages a day and others when I barely get through 25. It all depends on the book.

Wendy (wendywoo) | 75 comments Mikki wrote: "Unless a book is slim (250 or so pages), maybe we can give it a full month and allow readers to enjoy at their own pace. My reading varies--there are times that I'll read 100 pages a day and othe..."

So true Mikki! I can glide effortlessly through some books and others feel like heavy going and take way longer than they seem like they should. For what it is worth, I read this book for my real life book club when I read it a few years ago. The story moves along fairly quickly so even though it is a big book, it did not feel like overly heavy going. That being said, I would think you would want to plan on allowing at least a couple of weeks to get through it -- even for all you voracious readers in this thread :-)

message 17: by Mikki (new) - added it

Mikki Thanks, Wendy. That's good to know.

message 18: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Wendy wrote: "Mikki wrote: "Unless a book is slim (250 or so pages), maybe we can give it a full month and allow readers to enjoy at their own pace. My reading varies--there are times that I'll read 100 pages ..."

I agree, that is good to know. Maybe three weeks would work for this?

message 19: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne (reachannereach) Sounds good. Hard to know, really. But I guess we have to put something down. Anyway, the Calender shows start dates at this point. It's not so crowded yet that we need to put finish dates, right?

message 20: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Anne wrote: "Sounds good. Hard to know, really. But I guess we have to put something down. Anyway, the Calender shows start dates at this point. It's not so crowded yet that we need to put finish dates, right?"

Exactly. Any suggestions for dates?

message 21: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia (jujulia) | 28 comments Judy wrote: "Wendy wrote: "Mikki wrote: "Unless a book is slim (250 or so pages), maybe we can give it a full month and allow readers to enjoy at their own pace. My reading varies--there are times that I'll r..."

Three weeks sounds good - whenever people want to start, I'll jump right in ....

message 22: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne (reachannereach) I think June is free.

message 23: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Sounds good to me. Does June work for everyone?

message 24: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia (jujulia) | 28 comments Yes, perfect!

message 25: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne (reachannereach) Yep.

message 26: by Mikki (new) - added it

Mikki Sounds good to me. This will prove interesting because never before have I planned so far in advance the date for reading a book! Maybe a month... :D

message 27: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments OCD you, has never planned ahead! Come on, Mikki...(just funnin'):-)

message 28: by Mikki (last edited Oct 11, 2011 06:22PM) (new) - added it

Mikki Ha! Okay, you've got me. I'm secretly living for this...true. I adore organization but what do you expect my father was a Colonel in the army!!!

message 29: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke | 209 comments Oh boy! Lots of military here! But my dad was a lowly captain in JAGS. No ambition I guess lol.

message 30: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Boy I missed this discussion entirely but I see you all came up with June which is exactly what I was going to suggest since it looks like there are group reads for Jan thru May already. Since not all of those are as large as a Fine Balance, that will give some of us time to get a head start.

message 31: by Julia (new) - added it

Julia (jujulia) | 28 comments Yeah, june sounded horrible far away to me as well, and I can't promise to wait that long as I have the book just there waiting for me...well, we'll see and if I've read the book before, I can still join the discussion...I usually buy books for group reads, because of a recommendation, because I just stumble acroos it, whatever, and then usually it firstly ends up on my real-life Ikea to-be-read-shelf...And then it sits there, sometimes for a really long time, being surpassed by others, even by some which came in later, but then - SUDDENLY - there's the monent to read this very special book....and then, it can't really wait, it wants to be cherished and read.....It's strange - does it happen to others as well?

message 32: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments heh heh Julia, I know exactly what you mean. I have Cutting for Stone staring at me from my nightstand every day and I have no idea when I'll get to it. Maybe we can work something out.....

Perhaps, reading this alongside our February read? How does that sound?

message 33: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne (reachannereach) Julia wrote: "Yeah, june sounded horrible far away to me as well, and I can't promise to wait that long as I have the book just there waiting for me...well, we'll see and if I've read the book before, I can stil..."

Julia, please read the book when it jumps off the shelf and into your lap. I don't share your experience because I become overwhelmed with many books that want to be cherished all at the same time. Since joining GR , and this group in particular, it's never just one. I have to neglect so many when I chose just one to read.

message 34: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue I have a feeling that I may start it early since it's over 600 pages, but then I have other books on my list equally long. I rarely read one book at a time unless it's a quick read mystery. So I'll be sort of randomly reading (and then of course I'll also be reading for other groups).

Chrissie | 1276 comments Gaeta, just don't let Sea of Poppies be your first encounter with Amitav Gosh. Except if you read that first, you will probably think it is great, because you are not aware of how much better this guy can write. I will say it again: The Shadow Lines was excellent. Jeeze, would I still think that today?!

message 36: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Gaeta1 wrote: "I'm see-sawing between A Fine Balance and Sea of Poppies. Chrissie warned me off of the latter, so I'm still thinking it over. Otherwise I can join a group read for "Bala..."

Would love to have you read A Fine Balance with us, but do understand if you want to read, Ghosh. I've read two of his books and loved them both.

Wendy (wendywoo) | 75 comments Chrissie wrote: "Gaeta, just don't let Sea of Poppies be your first encounter with Amitav Gosh. Except if you read that first, you will probably think it is great, because you are not aware of how much better this ..."

I really enjoyed The Glass Palace by Ghosh as well. Haven't read Poppies yet, but hope to at some point.

Chrissie | 1276 comments Wendy and Gaeta, I liked that too! The Hungry Tide is also good.

message 39: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Yes, agree, both The Hungry Tide and The Glass Palace were excellent.

Genia Lukin Acquired the book on an opportunity. Seems I shall be joining you in reading it.

message 41: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne (reachannereach) Genia wrote: "Acquired the book on an opportunity. Seems I shall be joining you in reading it."

Great.

message 42: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Anne wrote: "Genia wrote: "Acquired the book on an opportunity. Seems I shall be joining you in reading it."

Great."

Terrific!

message 43: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue The more the merrier.

message 44: by Mikki (new) - added it

Mikki Sue wrote: "The more the merrier."

I agree!

message 45: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments (chuckle)

Lesley Just want to add that A Fine Balance is my all-time favourite. I may read it for a third time next year.

message 47: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Lesley wrote: "Just want to add that A Fine Balance is my all-time favourite. I may read it for a third time next year."

We'd love to have you join us, Lesley!

message 48: by Mikki (new) - added it

Mikki This is getting to look like some fun! Good Morning, Judy! ;D))

message 49: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Morning, Mikki. Have you had your coffee yet? I'm sipping my green tea trying to wake up. Anne's making cinnamon rolls for us. She's up bright and early (5 a.m. her time, I believe.)

message 50: by Mikki (new) - added it

Mikki My gosh...cinnamon rolls? I'm such a slacker. Coffee for me and then I'll figure it out from there.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Family Matters (other topics)
Cutting for Stone (other topics)
The Shadow Lines (other topics)
A Fine Balance (other topics)
Sea of Poppies (other topics)
More...