Around the World (in 52 Books) discussion

A Fine Balance
This topic is about A Fine Balance
closed topics > A Fine Balance Group

Comments (showing 60-109)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Barbarac (bcb72) | 195 comments It is a brutal book for sure but I really enjoyed it.

Barbarac (bcb72) | 195 comments I'm almost done!

message 107: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue I'm still early in the book, finding it an interesting read. Since I'm reading more than one book right now, I won't be finished for a bit.

message 106: by Genia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Genia Lukin I just finished the book this morning, and found it to be difficult but a good book. I probably won't reread it again, but I five-starred it.

message 105: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina (Kopi-gr) | 11 comments I've just finished the book. It took me long to get through it, but it was definitely worth it. Although there is a lot of tragic and misfortune involved, I really enjoyed reading it.

I think there is much potential for discussions ... but it's very quiet here in this group.

message 104: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina (Kopi-gr) | 11 comments I've started reading it as well.

message 103: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Barbarac wrote: "It was pure luck, just got an e-mail from my library letting me know the e-book was available and I snatched it. I didn't even know at the time you guys were reading it this month."

Good timing, Barbara!

Barbarac (bcb72) | 195 comments It was pure luck, just got an e-mail from my library letting me know the e-book was available and I snatched it. I didn't even know at the time you guys were reading it this month.

Barbarac (bcb72) | 195 comments I just started it a couple of days ago too. So far so good.

message 100: by Daisy (new) - added it

Daisy | 183 comments Me too: I'm going to read it but I can't start it now...

message 99: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue I'll probably be delayed but I plan to read it.

message 98: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne (reachannereach) I've just started it as well.

Genia Lukin Oh, it's this month, isn't it? Okay, I'll start it now.

message 96: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments I'm just getting to last month's group read, but will start this one when I finish that one. Its good to hear that you are liking it, Christie.

Chrissie | 1276 comments Christie, that is what I was wondering? I have not started and I am not sure yet if I will. I have already read another for India, but if I am convinced I should read it, then I certainly will.

message 94: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Haven't started yet. In the middle of so much. Hopefully soon. Glad to hear that the reading is going well.

Christie | 15 comments Has anyone started this yet? I'm only about 100 pages through, but it's very good and easy to read.

message 92: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Oooo cool! You need to read something like Moby-Dick while you are on the ship. We know your husband would like that! :-)

message 91: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments I'm glad we get to read at least one book with you, Gaeta. Its too bad this book wasn't such A Fine Balance for your book tour. :-( (sniffle sniffle)

message 90: by Sheena (new) - added it

Sheena Koshy (sheenakoshyc) | 32 comments Sue wrote: "Sheena wrote: "Ouch - I really planned to do this but somebody gave me this book on vacation and now am reading it. :( Sorry you guys"

You can still discuss it with us later if you'd like."

Oh, that's awesome! Yes, I'd love to discuss it with you all. & Judy - yes, I am liking it so far :)

message 89: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Sheena wrote: "Ouch - I really planned to do this but somebody gave me this book on vacation and now am reading it. :( Sorry you guys"

Too bad, but are you liking it?

message 88: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Sheena wrote: "Ouch - I really planned to do this but somebody gave me this book on vacation and now am reading it. :( Sorry you guys"

You can still discuss it with us later if you'd like.

message 87: by Sheena (new) - added it

Sheena Koshy (sheenakoshyc) | 32 comments Ouch - I really planned to do this but somebody gave me this book on vacation and now am reading it. :( Sorry you guys

message 86: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Tina wrote: "I'll join in as well! Still six months to go ..."

We're glad to have you, Tina. :-)

message 85: by Mikki (new) - added it

Mikki Kat wrote: "OK I'm in on this too - I really need to make myself a calendar now - how very organised that would be!"

It is organized and helpful too especially when you belong to more than one group! I keep all mine on a calendar in the computer and use it a lot. :) You're gonna have some fun, Kat!

message 84: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina (Kopi-gr) | 11 comments I'll join in as well! Still six months to go ...

message 83: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth (eparks4232) | 275 comments Kat wrote: "OK I'm in on this too - I really need to make myself a calendar now - how very organised that would be!"
If you have google calendar, you can make the group read calendar pop up on your calendar and then add your non-group reads in between. I have them showing up so I can opt in if it seems like the timing could work (and there are group reads for some books I read this year that I will probably chime in on, since they are in my calendar).

message 82: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments There are plenty of book buddies to be found, Kat. Glad you are joining in!

message 81: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat (KatZombie) | 49 comments LOL - I just need my buddy readers - none of my family or friends read so you guys are my book-buddies :D

message 80: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments You are a biblio-socialite, Kat. LOL!

message 79: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat (KatZombie) | 49 comments OK I'm in on this too - I really need to make myself a calendar now - how very organised that would be!

message 78: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Christie wrote: "I would love to join this group! The date is the first three weeks in June, then?"

Christie, yes, June for this one and February for The Poisonwood Bible. :-)

Christie | 15 comments I would love to join this group! The date is the first three weeks in June, then?

message 76: by KayG (last edited Dec 19, 2011 01:03PM) (new) - added it

KayG | 5 comments I would like to join this one, please.

message 75: by Daisy (new) - added it

Daisy | 183 comments I might join this too.

message 74: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Yeah, this should be a pretty fun group!

message 73: by Mikki (new) - added it

Mikki Oh good one more!

message 72: by Pragya (new) - added it

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 252 comments Count me in too. :)

message 71: by Mikki (new) - added it

Mikki Sue wrote: "Personally, I'm not sticking to a one book/one week schedule. Too easy for me to get (or feel) bogged down..."

Sue, I'm going with this plan as well. Originally, I was going to do something similar to Jenny and read two smaller books for certain countries. But, I'll just revisit places if I find that I have time.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 968 comments Mod
Sue wrote: "Personally, I'm not sticking to a one book/one week schedule. Too easy for me to get (or feel) bogged down. .."

Hmm, that's a good thought, Sue. I know I will have weeks where I might read more than one... I was thinking of sticking to one country during those and reading multiple books from it, but maybe I should reconsider.

message 69: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Thanks, Chrissie.

Yes, we'd love to have you Stephanie! :)

message 68: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie | 24 comments Sue wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Add that to another book I saw at the used bookstore but didn't get. It is pretty long to read in a week!"

I have several books on my list that I don't expect to read in a week. I pl..."

i agree 100% SUE!

message 67: by Stephanie (last edited Nov 24, 2011 10:41PM) (new) - added it

Stephanie | 24 comments I would love to" jump on the band wagon" as well. I have wanted to read this book for years, but somehow other books always push their way up to the front of the pile. Would love to join the discussion in June if that is ok.

message 66: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue Jenny wrote: "Add that to another book I saw at the used bookstore but didn't get. It is pretty long to read in a week!"

I have several books on my list that I don't expect to read in a week. I plan to pair them with other books that are quicker reads and move along that way.

Personally, I'm not sticking to a one book/one week schedule. Too easy for me to get (or feel) bogged down.

Chrissie | 1276 comments Well, I thought I should tell you, Judy!

message 64: by Judy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Chrissie wrote: "Judy, please remove me from the list. I have in fact four others on my list for India that I want toread more. The chances I change my mind and read this are pretty slim."

Sorry to hear that, Chrissie.

Chrissie | 1276 comments Judy, please remove me from the list. I have in fact four others on my list for India that I want toread more. The chances I change my mind and read this are pretty slim.

Add that to another book I saw at the used bookstore but didn't get. It is pretty long to read in a week!

message 61: by Judy (last edited Jan 07, 2012 06:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2225 comments Here is the list of A Fine Balance readers so far:

Tina
Kat
Christie
Kay G
Daisy
Pragya
Stephanie
Sue
Tanya
Mikki
Anne
Wendy
Marieke
Kristen
Julia
Genia
Beth
Lesley?
Judy

Party time!

Wendy wrote: "I've read Midnight's Chidlren, but am planning to read The Enchantress of Florence. I actually enjoyed Fine Balance more than Midnight's Children. There is a fair amount of magical realism in Midnight's Children and I'm not a huge fan of that. Mistry sticks w/ reality :-) ."
And that is exactly why I loved Midnight's Children! I do love a good dose of magical realism, and I'm looking forward to getting even more of it in some of the Latin American reads in this challenge.

« previous 1 3
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Family Matters (other topics)
Cutting for Stone (other topics)
The Shadow Lines (other topics)
A Fine Balance (other topics)
Sea of Poppies (other topics)
More...