The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion

What To Read After You're Done The Hunger Games

Comments (showing 1-50 of 99) (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Josephine I've had a couple of recommendations on what to read after finishing Mockingjay -- but, I'm curious about what other readers on here would recommend.

I've heard "The Maze Runner" is a potentially good follow-up, but based on some of the reviews I've read on here, it doesn't really compare to "The Hunger Games."

So...I'm curious: what was the next series you read after the Hunger Games that you enjoyed?

[Coco] I read The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials and they're really good. The Death Cure comes out in two days! The Gone series and also the book Matched are really good ones, too.

Camryn Josephine wrote: "I've had a couple of recommendations on what to read after finishing Mockingjay -- but, I'm curious about what other readers on here would recommend.

I've heard "The Maze Runner" is a potential..."

Maze Runner was so good! But i started re-reading the Maximum Ride Series.

Lucy the book Divergent was good

Patrick Chaos Walking Trilogy is really really good once you get past the slang (for me anyways)

The Maze Runner Trilogy is really good, as people have said :)

The Gone series

The Mortal Instruments and the Infernal Devices

The Lorien Legacies

Divergent and Insurgent comes out some time in may

Daisy sanchez the maze runner
the mortal instruments

Jodi Wither by Lauren Destefano
Divergent by Veronica Roth
Unwind by Neal Shusterman
Numbers by Rachel Ward
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
The Maze Runner by James Dashner
The Infernal Devices Series
The Mortal Intruments series
Matched by Ally Condie (Not the BEST book but still good enough to get you to read the sequel.)

Emily Uglies by Scott Westerfield (female protagonist/dystopian novel/part of a series)

Maddee  :) uglies by scott westerfield!!!

Riké I'm reading Night Circus. I thought the prologue was great, but now it seems to have a slow beginning or something.

Maddee  :) If I Stay is A Goood Book xD

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

g thats tough cos the hunger games is so brilliant. the maze runner and uglies are'nt from the main characters point of view so i wasn't a very big fan of them. try the mediator by meg cabot that's pretty good

SarahO Blood Red Road by Moira Young. Awesome book although it's the first in the trilogy and the second one hasn't come out yet.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Maddee :) wrote: "I Just got done reading "avalon high" by meg cabot yesturday. boringggggg. and gayy"
shakespeare??? mediators way betta

Audrey Lee Read "Divergent" by Veronica Roth. If you like THG then you will not be disappointed.

Kristi "Enclave" really reminded me of Hunger Games.
I also tried reading The Uglies series after I read Hunger Games and just didn't enjoy it very much.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Unwind by Neal Shusterman
Matched by Ally Condie
Enclave by Ann Aguirre

Darlene The Host by Stephenie Meyer
Wither by Lauren DeStefano
Skinned by Robin Wasserman

Francisca Divergent is REALLY a must read :) well, particularly, I LOVED it and I'm eagerly waiting for Insurgent to come out. That's all I can say dystopian-wise, I've heard Matched is also very good (recommended by my best friend who happens to like the exact same kinda books than me and who also convinced me to read THG.. which I'm beyond grateful for lol) and aalso I've seen a lot of people recommending "Enclave" by Ann Aguirre.. Is definitely a book I'm going to read :) also I really liked The Host by Stephenie Meyer.. but I'm not 100% sure, because I read it when I was 12 I think.. right after finishing Twilight.. And back then.. I thought Stephenie Meyer was THE best writer ever (I'm not a fan of her books now, but I must say she got me into reading so, yeah, props for that..)
Other non-dystopian series that I've enjoyed as much as Hunger Games:

The Mortal Instruments & The Infernal Devices both by Cassandra Clare
Vampire Academy & Bloodlines both by Richelle Mead
The Secret Circle by L.J. Smith
Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
The Iron Fey by Julie Kagawa

message 20: by Katy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Delirium by Lauren Oliver was fantastic! The second book in the series does not come out until next March, sadly, but I would still highly recommend it!

Courtney Divergent and Enclave are 2 must reads if you enjoyed Hunger Games. Enclave is probably my favorite of the two but both are amazing.

Audrey Lee I'm curious about Enclave. I will have to check it out. The Mortal Instruments is on my list of to-reads....at some point in the future.

message 23: by Lucy (new)

Lucy The Maze Runner, definitely. I've read the first two books in the series and now I'm waiting for the third book (which is releasing today). It's a great series and you folks should really check it out!
This is on an entirely different topic but 'Reckless' by Cornelia Funke is amazing.

Audrey Lee You know, I read "Reckless" by Cornelia Funke and just couldn't get into it. Y'all should try reading it because she is a great writer (The Inkheart trilogy and The Thief Lord are amazing) but I just couldn't get into Reckless. Something about the way it was written. Anyways...

message 25: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue The Host by Stephenie Meyer. Much better than the Twilight series, and just one book. I also liked the Mortal Instruments.

Josephine I'm definitely going to check out Divergent and Enclave. Actually, most of these books sound interesting, so I'll check them out. Thanks for the recommendations!

Lea (Peeta's #1 Fangirl!) Matched and Delirium..although they don't have much action, they are more love stories.

Keona Chandler Sara wrote: "ugh what to read next, I want to read another good series any ideas?
Nothing will compare to Hunger Games though"

after the hunger game series i read hush,hush#1 i love it so far and am going to get te 2 & 3 .

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Also the Maze Runner. I wasn't so sure about it, but it was awesome and had a similar mood to the hunger games. Also the whole series is out now so you don't have to wait for the next book!! Haha :)

Keona Chandler Sam wrote: "Also the Maze Runner. I wasn't so sure about it, but it was awesome and had a similar mood to the hunger games. Also the whole series is out now so you don't have to wait for the next book!! Haha :)"

oh my gosh i just started the maze runner yesterday. cool.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep! i just read the series this week!!

Keona Chandler Sam wrote: "Yep! i just read the series this week!!"

super cool i am waiting for the second book in the hush,hush series so im gong to read the maze runner over the weekend.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Sweet ... i hope you have the other ones bc after you read the epilogue you are like ready for more haha

Keona Chandler whats the names of the next ones. so i can have them on hand.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure

Keona Chandler Sam wrote: "The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure"

thanks . your awsome.:)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

haha thanks :) happy reading

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Josephine wrote: "I've had a couple of recommendations on what to read after finishing Mockingjay -- but, I'm curious about what other readers on here would recommend.

You can try Legend by Marie Lu and Divergent. They're both dystopian YA books like THG.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Divergent was like my fave along with Enclave

Just saying

Marika Daughter of the Blood and the rest of the Black Jewels books. More intense and adult (in terms of sex and graphic violence) than Hunger Games, but a similar mood. Some really great characters, both male and female. Lots of romance.

The Mistborn Trilogy (and forthcoming standalone). Masterfully crafted plot and characters, and the protagonist is a little Katniss-like. The romance is fairly subdued, though it is pretty sweet. The plot of Hunger Games is arrow-straight compared to the twists and surprises in Mistborn.

Brittany Vampire Academy filled the Hunger Games void for me. :)

Danielle I read the zombie triology The Forest of Hands and Teeth. It satisfies the craving for life or death situations with a tiny bit of romance. Plus, I love zombies.

Lucille Mistwood would be good. ;)

message 44: by Lucille (last edited Oct 23, 2011 05:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucille The Forest of Hands and Teeth
Mistwood
The Infernal Devices
The Mortal Instruments
Wither
Divergent
Iron Fey
Hush, Hush
The Secret Circle (Haven't read it, but the Series was good)
The Host (So much better than Twilight)
The Night World Series

Lea (Peeta's #1 Fangirl!) The Forest of Hands and Teeth was really good! (it's actuallyb a trilogy!)

Annie Hudson Blood Red Road
The mortal instruments
The infernal devices
The Lorien legacies
The unbecoming of Mara dyer
Delirum
Divergent
Can't wait for article 5 and incarnate to come out

Ziyue Catching fire( the second book to the hunger games)
Mocking jay or something like that( the third book to the hunger games)

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm pretty sure I read The Maze Runner after The Hunger Games. The Maze Runner was okay. Other books that are better than The Maze Runner are:
Divergent-Veronica Roth
Matched-Ally Condie
Blood Red Road-Moira Young
Unwind-Neal Shusterman
I Am Number Four (and other books in the series)-Pittacus Lore (pseudonym)
The Forest of Hands and Teeth-Carrie Ryan

As a side note, and I know a lot of people don't agree with me, I personally thought Delirium by Lauren Oliver wasn't that great. The characters weren't captivating. Also, I disliked The Mortal Instruments. I thought the author's writing was great, the storyline was good (at least the first book's storyline), and the characters were three-dimensional, BUT some of the books themes didn't match my belief's so I stopped reading the books. I'm not the churchy and preachy type and I love supernatural stories, but that book left me with a bad feeling in my gut. It's just my personal opinion.

Ziyue The iron fey series by Julie Kagawa
The hunger games
The septimus heap series
The 39 clues
Midnighters

Jordan Josephine wrote: "I've had a couple of recommendations on what to read after finishing Mockingjay -- but, I'm curious about what other readers on here would recommend.

Yeah I read the maze runner it is good kind of like hunger games but if u want more like hunger games read matched

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hunger Games (other topics)
Daughter of the Blood (other topics)
The Final Empire (other topics)