The Host (The Host, #1) The Host discussion

Melanie Stryder or Wanda? Which character do you like the most? Why?

Comments (showing 1-40 of 40) (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Athira Melanie Stryder or Wanda?
When I started reading this book, I was with Melanie, I struggled with her, I wanted her to free from the 'alien' soul. But then it all changed, the'alien soul' became the one I love, the one I wanted to help. I love Wanda.

Kirby well, I sorta feel that if both melanie and wanda were just ordinary human characters, I would prefer melanie b/c wanda would just be TOO perfect (sorta like bella in twilight)...but since we're given a reason to accept wanda's unfailing generosity and selflessness and love, I find myself loving her more. though I do still love melanie.

Tiff I like them both, but there comes a point where I really started to want Wanda to have everything she wanted and felt like she didn't deserve: a normal human life. I continued to like Mel though so I don't think I ever prefered one over the other. Just sympathized with Wanda.

Emily Trochelman I feel like the first time I read this, I liked Mel over Wanda just to be rebellious. After reading this again I find that Mel's Character isn't as rounded as Wanda's and so it makes it very hard to truly side with Mel completely. I don't really prefer one over the other at this point, they each had annoying quirks and lovable points. In the end I love them both just for very different reasons.

Brooke Phelps I didn't like Wanda as much as I thought I would. I found myself siding with Melanie much more and rooting for her. Especially when it came to the romantic storylines. When Wanda separated from Mel, I could appreciate her more.

Brooke Phelps I didn't like Wanda as much as I thought I would. I found myself siding with Melanie much more and rooting for her. Especially when it came to the romantic storylines. When Wanda separated from Mel, I could appreciate her more.

message 7: by Lucy (new) - rated it 1 star

Lucy They're both ok.

Gracie Melanie...she keeps fighting.

Monisa Ahmed WANDA...no doubt! Because of her Melanie got her life and love back to normal!....so it's definitely Wanda...:)

BubblesTheMonkey I don't really like Melanie's personality, personally. She seems very bossy.... but I like her fighting spirit. Wanda is my favorite because she is willing to give anything up for the better well-being of others (kind of).... guess? What other character in a Stephanie Meyer book sounds like this??? BELLA, of course (but probably not as intelligent).

Lucille Wanda. She's kind enough to give up her own life for Melanie, a different species, when she couldn't even trade her life for the next generation of souls.

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa Ew Wanda reminds me of Bella and it's annoying. She can't do anything immoral. At least she's an alien, so that
s her excuse. no human could do that. Melanie was more real to me.

Smriti Well,I prefer Wanda....I think, both were good characters but Wanda was more like...um.....you know....like a WOMAN.She was ready to sacrifice for her so called sister Melanie.

Jenni Rascal I think Wanda was my favorite because she seems to be learning all these new feelings and I feel bad for her...

Pavan at the beginning i thought of them being like the same person in a sense, but i shared more of a connection with Wanda then Melanie, both strong characters but Wanda just had the extra something for me :)

Melissa By the end of the book, Wanda was my favorite female. But the fave male by far was Ian. He started out as a jerk, but boy did he clean up good!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Because Melanie is the human nbeing trapped by an "oppressive" alien -as my friend puts it- she is the one we should feel sorry for. However (even though Mel is total badass!) I really love Wanda, shes embodies all that is good in humans. But Mel has the tipical human streak, she changes personalities from 0 to 5 seconds. Both have a special place in my heart but Wanda is a little extra special. :)

message 18: by Georgia (new)

Georgia i like both i guess i liked melanie for being strong and always staying around and sticking with her own head and i liked wanda for beimng herself and not sticking to the rest of them... I hated ian though i justd idn't like he wasn't right...

Angela Nguyen I like Melanie better, to be quite honest. Wanda is kind and strong and all but I hate to say that Mel really rubbed off on her. She's kind of a Mel 2.0 + brain.

Kate Melissa wrote: "By the end of the book, Wanda was my favorite female. But the fave male by far was Ian. He started out as a jerk, but boy did he clean up good!"

Well said! (lol) I agree though, at first I felt really bad for Mel because of what happened to her but I could also sympathize with Wanda because it really wasn't her fault. At first I was angry with Wanda and her kind though for what they did to the humans, but as the story progressed I really started to like Wanda(though still a little peeved at the rest of the 'intruders'). By the end, I was so happy Wanda got her own body per say, and that she and Ian could finally be properly together.

Michael Wanda had more of the spotlight in the story, but most of what I liked about her was basically from Mel. At the end, both are good.

message 22: by Mim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mim I liked wanda. Because although she couldve ignored Mel and sent the seekers after her family, She earnt to love them and they accepted her as one of them because she has a big heart and wouldnt let them forget Mel. But i also like Mel because she was such a strong character and she never gave up

message 23: by Mithrendiel (last edited Oct 30, 2011 01:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mithrendiel I definitely identified with Wanda. She was pure, good, kind, and always tried to see the best in people. She responded to the most virulent of hate with the love and compassion. She consistently sacrificed for others. She was an ancient soul that had seen much of life in her many incarnations, and those lifetimes garnered her wisdom and serenity.

Mel was a sympathetic character, no doubt, but she was also close minded, judgmental, and angry – all very understandable emotions given her situation, but when compared with Wanda’s gentle compassion and serenity, it’s hard for me to admire her.

I absolutely loved what Myer's did with Wanda's character. She introduced a story where alien body snatchers have basically taken over our world, but she tells the story from the perspective of one of those aliens. She makes you see the world through Wanda's eyes, and actually root for her. How often do we root for the invading aliens in sci-fi? Brilliant!

message 24: by Cole (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cole Mel would seem like the logical choice to pick, identifying with a human and all. Don't get me wrong I sympathize with Mel but after reading it I fell in love with Wanda. How the author could make something so alien so similar to myself is a mystery. She touched me with her thoughts and feelings, Wanda you are more human than you realize.

Athira Cole wrote: "Mel would seem like the logical choice to pick, identifying with a human and all. Don't get me wrong I sympathize with Mel but after reading it I fell in love with Wanda. How the author could make ..."
Loved your comment. I would love to say the same:)

message 26: by Cole (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cole Thanks you, glad you agree.

Tjala mel. wanda is an idiot. she acts perfect all the time as does ian. i like mel cause shes her own character. nobodys perfect which is whats portrayed via wanda and ian (like in twilight edward is way to flawless)

Whitney St-Marseille I liked Mel because she was the one who would rather die than give information out about her, Jared and Jamie. She was the one who was violated. I don't like Wanda much. Half the time she was acting under Mels influence.

Kirsten Melanie.

Katherine I like them both, because they are so different from each other. I like how at the start they hate each other , but as the book progresses, they end up getting along. :)

message 31: by Karli (last edited Dec 23, 2011 02:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karli I adored them both, but I would have to say Melanie because she was nice but tough at the same time. I'm probably picking Melanie because I'm more like Wanda. Haha!

Ferdy Melanie definitely..her whole world was taken over by aliens and she was still fighting and protecting for her people. Wanda was a cross between a parasite and a Mary Sue.. It was Melanie's feelings that made her see that humans matter and that her and her alien friends were just a bunch of judgemental parasites infesting other organisms.

message 33: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin There's things to love about both of them, but I felt more for Wanda by the end of the novel.

Sanilou Melanie of course! No matter how much you like Wanda, she is still a parasite, whether in Melanie's body or someone else's.

Merideth Mel! Cuz i'm violent like her. Every time someone hit Wanda in the book I was like HIT THEM BACK!!!!!

message 36: by Samuel (last edited Apr 24, 2012 11:35AM) (new)

Samuel I'm a guy. For the first half of the book I pitied Melanie and believed that the souls had committed a horrible crime which they did, yet they were so defenseless I don't get how they could have conquered the earth. I dont think that I could have killed one in its pure form. I related most to Ian, don't care whats on the outside only what the soul is like no pun intended. I honestly loved wanda, her personality and actions are what I like to see in women. Wanda was compassionate, alturistic, intelligent, and had this sense of thinking she could be better, which was all true. She got depressed near the end of the book realizing the pain her species conquest had caused, but instead of breaking down she learned from her kinds mistakes while still retaining the souls kindness, generosity, and alturistic compasdion for both the souls and the humans. When I was reading the part of the book where Ian held Wanda's soul I was jealous thinking "man ian is one lucky guy seriously." i liked wanda because i believe the soul as in your conscience and beliefs , morality, and actions define you more than your body ever will. When it comes to the soul wanda far outweighed mel in intellect and by having a greater intellect it made her sacrifice to give Mel her body back twice as admirable. Wanda was a can do no wrong person for me, I hate reading these books makes me forget how crappy our lives can be

Sarah Parnell Athira wrote: "Melanie Stryder or Wanda?
When I started reading this book, I was with Melanie, I struggled with her, I wanted her to free from the 'alien' soul. But then it all changed, the'alien soul' became the..."

Totally agree... i loved the innocence of Wanda as we got to know her better

Clary Salamanca I will go for Wanda she's kind not to mention very selfless. Melanie is rude and sometime I hate her.

Courtney I don't know. I wanted both to be happy.

Alexis Moresi Mel because she was soooo strong for fighting off from disapearing and letting wanda take over. i love wanda too but i really loved Melanie for that.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Host (other topics)