What's The Name of That Book??? discussion

Irons in the Fire
This topic is about Irons in the Fire
Non-Fiction-SOLVED > Series of Essays on Rocks [s]

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

drowningmermaid | 84 comments I'm trying to remember the name of an audiobook I listened to in the early 00s.

I thought it was going to be about history-- and it did tell me about the geological perspective on the Japanese balloon attacks during WWII. (I hadn't known about that. Only U.S. mainland deaths during the war.) I also learned quite a bit about forensic dirt analysis. There were also two essays about tires-- and the vast problem of what to do with the miles upon miles of used tires. One guy made a vast swan pond.

Dylan (wellding) | 131 comments Irons in the Fire by John McPhee possibly.

message 3: by drowningmermaid (last edited Oct 05, 2011 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

drowningmermaid | 84 comments That sounds REALLY plausible. I'll see if I can get my hands on it to make sure, but I think that's it! Thanks!

Dylan (wellding) | 131 comments No problem. Actually, I'm really interested in reading this myself. I looked into it a bit more and I think the Japanese balloons and the forensic dirt analysis are in the essay called The Gravel Page, and the tires and the pond are in the essay called Duty of Care.

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1379 comments Masamune's Song wrote: "That sounds REALLY plausible. I'll see if I can get my hands on it to make sure, but I think that's it! Thanks!"

Would you like this book shelved since you moved it to solved, or would you rather wait until you are certain?

drowningmermaid | 84 comments Yes, I think this one could be shelved. It's got to be the one.

message 7: by Lisa (last edited Oct 07, 2011 08:55AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1379 comments Masamune's Song wrote: "Yes, I think this one could be shelved. It's got to be the one."

Okay, Thanks. Will do. ETA: It's been done already. Probably by fast working Rebecca.

message 8: by drowningmermaid (last edited Oct 07, 2011 12:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

drowningmermaid | 84 comments I'm too slow!

ETA: Thanks so much! I got my hands on a copy today and this is unquestionably it. How do you guys DO this?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Irons in the Fire (other topics)