American Historical Romance discussion

Promotion

Comments (showing 1-47 of 47) (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana (last edited Oct 16, 2011 06:44PM) (new)

Diana Ballew (DianaBallew) | 15 comments Mod
Post promotions here. Have a blog? A book getting great reviews? Let us know!

message 2: by Diana (new)

I'm giving away three copies of my Civil War romance, Thorns of Eden, right here on goodreads. Click here to enter. Good luck! http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho...

Diana
www.dianaballew.com

message 3: by Paty (new)

Paty Jager | 4 comments As a Holiday gift my Christmas Novella, Christmas Redemption a western historical romance is free at http://Smashwords.www.smashwords.com/...

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori Lyn (Lori_Lyn) | 2 comments Yay! I have my personally signed copy already but will pass this along to my friends! Thanks, Diana.

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth (wwwgoodreadscomwriterBeth) | 79 comments Mod
That's very good of you, Paty. I look forward to reading it.

message 6: by Debby (new)

Debby Lee | 5 comments Man, I hope this is where I'm supposed to post promo news. I'm kinda new to this groups so please forgive me if I'm not following protocol here.
My short story, Butterflies are Free just got a great review on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Ny first review ever, I'm so excited.
Butterflies is a story set in 1969 and focuses one young lady's journey to Woodstock, and all the obstacles she faces to get there.
Granted this story isn't the Antebellum South or Colonial Revolution, but hey, it's still history, right? I think I've mentioned this before but thought it okay to say again. :)

message 7: by Beth (new)

How interesting Debby. I have an upcoming release, a vintage American Christmas romance set in 1968. So I share your nostalgia about the 60's. Congrats on your super reviews. Yes, Woodstock is getting to be more historic all the time.

message 8: by Jacquie (last edited Oct 17, 2011 10:18PM) (new)

Jacquie (jacquierogers) | 35 comments Beth, I'll have to buy it! I have a Christmas novella set in 1956. Faery Merry Christmas complete with a drive-in, carhops, Little Richard, and a pink Metropolitan.

message 9: by Beth (new)

Oh wow Jacquie. I'll have to get that one. I'm even more nostalgic about the fifties.

message 10: by Paty (new)

Paty Jager | 4 comments They all sound like great Christmas Reads.

message 11: by Beth (new)

Thanks, and yes. :)

message 12: by Beth (last edited Oct 18, 2011 04:33PM) (new)

Not to neglect to mention the American historical Christmas anthology that Susan M. Carol S. and I and several others have stories in called An American Rose Christmas. It has sold like crap which is really too bad because it's got some super stories in it. :) I just added it to our group bookshelf.

message 13: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie (jacquierogers) | 35 comments Beth, I'll check it out. Was there an glitch with the promotion plan? Wonder why it didn't sell all that well.

FMC hasn't sold many copies but I've never done a bit of publicity on it. It's been out a few years but we've had a family emergency every Sept/Oct, so have never been able to do a Christmas push. No one wants to buy Christmas books in March. I'm going to promo it a little this year and see if it'll do better. Part of the problem is that most of my readers are either western or historical fans, so there's a branding issue.

message 14: by Beth (last edited Oct 19, 2011 04:33AM) (new)

I don't know why it hasn't done well, but apparently the WRP has stopped publishing anthologies because they don't. Maybe we should have some kind of special American Christmas romance push? Maybe I could do something on my blog, and you on yours...hmmm. Not sure how to do a group thing on that over here, but we maybe could.

message 15: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie (jacquierogers) | 35 comments Beth, I own the Romancing The West blog and would like to do a week of all Christmas books. I'll look at my calendar and see what weeks are available. Might have to be in December because I think November is completely booked.

message 16: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie (jacquierogers) | 35 comments Everyone, I have Thanksgiving Week open (Nov 21 to 27) so if you have a Christmas book set in the American West (can be historical or contemporary) OR American historical (any location in North America) and would like to be on Romancing The West, let me know. Each author will give away two books--one with the book's post, and one on Sunday when I post Chicken Dinner favorites. jacquierogers @ gmail.com

The free books can be either ebooks or print books. I do ask that you be available to respond to comments at least a couple times throughout the day, and it's best if you respond to each comment individually.

If I don't get enough books from the authors on the American Historical Romance group, I'll open it up to other authors, so let me know right away. Thanks!

message 17: by Beth (new)

Jacquie wrote: "Beth, I own the Romancing The West blog and would like to do a week of all Christmas books. I'll look at my calendar and see what weeks are available. Might have to be in December because I think..."

Sounds great. I have two, my upcoming release in Nov. and the Anthology. :)

message 18: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie (jacquierogers) | 35 comments Good deal, Beth! Send your titles to jacquierogers @ gmail.com and I'll get you scheduled. You're #1! :) You'll get two days if I don't get much response, or if books come flooding in, we can do both books in one day.

BTW, how do you do a quote?

message 19: by Beth (new)

OK, will do. Super. I'm not sure how to do a quote.

message 20: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie (jacquierogers) | 35 comments Beth wrote: "OK, will do. Super. I'm not sure how to do a quote."

Okay, I see that you have to click Reply. Doh. Every board is different and it takes a while to get oriented.

message 21: by Beth (new)

Ah right. They do themselves.

message 22: by Alison (new)

Alison Henderson (AlisonHenderson) | 15 comments Jacquie wrote: "Everyone, I have Thanksgiving Week open (Nov 21 to 27) so if you have a Christmas book set in the American West (can be historical or contemporary) OR American historical (any location in North Ame..."

Jacquie, are you just looking for Christmas books specifically? Both my western historicals have Christmas chapters, but neither would qualify as a Christmas book, per se.

message 23: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie (jacquierogers) | 35 comments Alison wrote: "Jacquie, are you just looking for Christmas books specifically? Both my western historicals have Christmas chapters, but neither would qualify as a Christmas book, per se.
"

Alison, if your books don't qualify for Christmas week, they would certainly qualify for a feature week. I'm booking in February so let me know if you'd like a spot. Just go to Romancing The West and click on the Submissions page. I'd love to have you on RTW. :)

But also (meaning you can do both), we could have a day during our Christmas week for books like yours. I think they'd fit right in.

message 24: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Marie | 4 comments As an indy author, I want to let everyone know how much I'm enjoying being a member of this group. And to thank everyone for the support of the Goodreads site as a whole! The response for the two book giveaways of my debut novel, The Seahawk's Sanctuary, were phenomenal! I am blown away at being added to soooo many lists for the cover art...The whole experience has been great!

I'm writing to let the members know that I have posted a sneak peek of my next novel, The Lion's Lair, to be released in the Spring of 2012, on my website. http://LynneMarieAuthor.com/other-words

Please go take a look... Even though this new novel is a Medieval Historical Romance, it doesn't hurt to look. Will be returning to the Americas with the following one!

message 25: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie (jacquierogers) | 35 comments The Romancing The West Christmas Book Party went really well and thanks to Beth Trissel for joining in. I think it went well enough to consider doing it again.

message 26: by Beth (new)

Yes it did. I agree. Thanks for hosting it.

message 27: by Carol (new)

Carol Spradling | 5 comments My latest release, The Night Lamp is now available at Amazon.com for .99! Wow, what a deal. I can top it. To celebrate the new book, I am holding a contest. Go to my blog or website and enter. Participating is easy, and the winner will receive a free e-version of The Night Lamp. How good is that?! Oh, wait until you see the man on the cover. Gorgeous. Hurry over, and I'll meet you there.

Carol
www.CarolASpradling.com
www.CarolASpradling.blogspot.com

message 28: by Beth (new)

Sounds great, Carol, and so good to hear from you.

message 29: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie (jacquierogers) | 35 comments Romancing The West is currently hosting a Cupid Party and giving away a Kindle. Beth and a few others have joined in. C'mon over and comment if you'd like some free books and a new Kindle. :) http://romancingthewest.blogspot.com

message 30: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Marie | 4 comments I have new news about my novel that I'd like to pass along... I'm really excited about it!!!

First of all, I wish to thank everyone who has purchased a copy (eBook or print) of my debut novel Seahawk’s Sanctuary!!!

A second edition went live on Amazon yesterday! The best part is… Because it’s Amazon, they have produced the same book (6×9) at a lower price!!! The new price is $15.95 or a $3.00 savings over the first edition price. Full distribution is estimated to be in place by the end of March…

*** Special Note for all of you who collect first editions. The first edition printed through Wordclay will be retired around the middle of March, so you will have approximately a month, if you wish to purchase a first edition of Seahawk’s Sanctuary before they’re gone forever.

This new edition has been uploaded and is available in the eBook format on Amazon and Smashwords at the same price, $3.99. Once again, it will take approximately 4 weeks for full distribution of this new edition to trickle down to Apple iPad, B&N Nook, Sony, and others, but Smashwords does support all these formats, if you can’t wait…

Again, my sincere thanks to everyone who has spent their hard-earned money during these difficult economic times on my debut book… and happy reading to all… For more information, please visit my website at LynneMarieAuthor.com/blog

message 31: by Jacquie (new)

Jacquie (jacquierogers) | 35 comments Does anyone know why the book cover for Much Ado About Marshals no longer displays?

message 32: by Susan (new)

Susan Macatee | 20 comments I'm giving away a copy of my upcoming ebook with The Wild Rose Press. Cole's Promise is a Civil War romance and will be available on 4/18/12. Visit my blog http://susanmacatee.wordpress.com and leave a comment on any post to be entered in a drawing to win a copy of the ebook or other prizes. You can also learn more about Cole's Promise as my website http://susanmacatee.com

message 33: by Carol (new)

Carol Spradling | 5 comments My new historical romance Shades of Gray is available at Amazon.com and Barnesandnoble.com.

Shades of Gray blurb:
Mail order bride, Kat Bailey has more to fear than malicious rumors about a crazed murderer. But a woman with no money or family has few options. She quickly learns that her intended groom is not as honorable as Hampton society believes him to be. Beaten by her betrothed, she seeks refuge in the home of the most feared man in town.

Accused murderer, Grayson Gregory is more interested in guarding a family secret than clearing his name. When a broken and battered woman collapses on his doorstep, he is reminded of a torturous past he can't escape. Kat may have opened old and festered wounds, but he can’t deny the fire she ignites in him.

Kat is determined to uncover the truth about Gray, regardless of what she finds. As their attraction to one another grows, Gray must confront his dark past in order to keep her safe. His secrets unfold, forcing him to choose between a new love, or to remain plagued by the demons of his past.

Shades of Gray excerpt:
Her eyes stared straight ahead, seeming to focus on nothing specific. Gray knelt in front of her, placing his materials next to his knee on the floor, keeping them within an easy reach. With careful attention on her face, he reached up and unfastened the buttons on her nightdress. She wobbled, but didn’t prevent the fabric from lowering down her arms. The bulk of the flannel lay on her lap.

Gray sat back on his haunches and studied the thin layer of cotton she still wore. It had been his experience that women wore nothing under their nightdress when sleeping. Not as bulky as a chemise, this light-weight material was only worn… he looked at her face. It seemed odd that she would have it on now. Daria’s bridal slip had not lasted for one minute after he came into their wedding chambers.

At least the blonde woman had stopped crying. He dipped a clean cloth in the water and wrung it out. Holding to her chin, he wiped her face, dabbing delicately around her hairline. Bad judgment shouldn’t be held against her.

He eased his way behind her. Red welts crisscrossed her back, but her left shoulder blade would need additional attention. A four inch wound lay open with dry and crusted blood banking the swollen rim. He eyed his salve, warming by the fire. There should be enough for tonight. He thought there was a larger container in the kitchen.

Wadding a cloth in one hand, he held the linen under the cut. With his other hand, he wiggled the stopper free from the whiskey bottle and breathed deep. It was impossible to prepare her for what was to come. He tipped the bottle, dousing her shoulder with the alcohol. She cried out, and he moved the dripping towel to her forehead. He might as well clean her brow while the burning sensation lingered.

“I know it stings,” he said. “Go ahead. Cry out if you must. It has to be done, but there’s no reason you must suffer in silence.”

The corner of his mouth twitched and he pressed his lips together. Her wounds would take weeks to heal, and scarring was a possibility. He closed his eyes and pushed from his mind images of Daria. She had not recovered in a few short weeks.

Carol
www.CarolASpradling.com
Shades of Gray by Carol A. Spradling

message 34: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 5 comments Thanks Susan...it looks like a great book and I can't wait to read it.

message 35: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 5 comments Carol, what time period is this book set in? I am a Civil War person. Thanks!

message 36: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Henderson (peggyhenderson) | 1 comments Yellowstone Heart Song - set in the early 1800's in....that's right! Yellowstone (of course it wasn't a national park then)
is FREE today and tomorrow on Amazon.

Yellowstone Heart Song (Yellowstone Romance, #1) by Peggy Henderson

http://www.amazon.com/Yellowstone-Hea...
Book 1 in the Yellowstone Romance Series

Nurse and avid backpacker Aimee Donovan is offered the opportunity of a lifetime. She encounters a patient who tells her he can send her two hundred years into the past to spend three months in the rugged Yellowstone wilderness at the dawn of the mountain man era. The only requirement: she cannot tell anyone that she’s from the future.

How did a white woman suddenly appear in the remote Rocky Mountain wilderness? Trapper Daniel Osborne’s first instinct is to protect this mysterious and unconventional woman from the harsh realities of his mountains. While he fights his growing attraction to her, he is left frustrated by her lies and secrecy.

Daniel shows Aimee a side of Yellowstone she’s never experienced. She is torn between her feelings for him, and exposing a secret that will destroy everything he holds as truth. As her three months come to an end, she is faced with a dilemma: return to her own time, or stay with the man who opened her eyes to a whole new world. When the decision is made for her, both their lives will be changed forever.

message 37: by Carol (last edited Sep 20, 2012 02:30AM) (new)

Carol Spradling | 5 comments Time-travel novel, Faithfully Yours is FREE today, Sept. 20 at Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Faithfully-Fore...

Time traveler Faith Valentine’s wedding night promises a lifetime filled with love and happiness. Little does she realize, the passion that brought her and Aidan together will also rip them apart.

Aidan Valentine has a modest farm, a beautiful wife, and a neighbor who has too much interest in both. Faith has entered his life on more than one occasion, but the truth behind her odd disappearances leave him shocked and confused.

Wrenched from her husband on the happiest night of her life, Faith is thrown back in time to a cruel, past life. A family legacy she can’t control is her only hope of returning to Aidan. Faith will stop at nothing to return to the man she loves, even if it will kill her.

message 38: by Shirl (new)

Shirl | 1 comments I just put it on my Kindle and can't wait to start reading it. I love time travel romances.

message 39: by Diana (new)

I have a new book out! Immortal Prey is an historical/paranormal romance that spans over 300 years and two continents. It's getting wonderful reviews. Makes a great gift--check it out. I absolutely loved writing this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Immortal-Prey-e...

Diana
www.dianaballew.com

message 40: by Lori (new)

Lori Lyn (Lori_Lyn) | 2 comments And I absolutely loved reading it! I already have the kindle version but am going to get the print version so I get you to sign it (will be book #2 in my Ballew Collection)! Can't wait until I have a whole shelf off signed Ballew books!

message 41: by Susan (new)

Susan Macatee | 20 comments My new Victorian-set time travel romance, Thoroughly Modern Amanda is now available at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Thoroughly-Mode...

message 42: by Carol (new)

Carol Spradling | 5 comments Pursuing Honor, The Forever Time Travel Romance Series, Book 2

Blurb:
Hunter Morgan is intelligent, handsome, and in love with Honor Moran. She has never given any indications that she would accept his marriage proposal, but medical school is over and Hunter needs to make his intentions known. All set to pop the question, he sees her nervously enter a dark alleyway known for ruthless activity. Hunter fears for her safety, and charges into the shadows after her. How could he know that his chivalrous act would launch him two hundred and fifty years into the past?

Honor had no idea it was possible to bring someone along with her when she traveled through time. She never wanted to hurt anyone during her stay in the future, especially Hunter. For two years, she has evaded his good looks and attention, but now, he lays unconscious at her feet, and has no way to return to his time.

Thrown back to a time as foreign to him as the means in which he got there, Hunter is determined to prove he is suited for anything as long as he has Honor's heart. Her growing feelings for him are threatened when her mysterious sister interrupts their chance for happiness. Honor will stop at nothing to prove her love for Hunter. And Hunter, he may have won the heart of the woman he loves, but is he willing to stay in a time that is not his own?

Excerpt:
Honor stiffened, trying to decide what she should do about the closeness they shared. She had been content with a handhold, but she didn't want to encourage anything more than a casual friendship. After all, she could no longer duck into her dorm room because she felt uncomfortable, or hold a laptop between them to maintain distance. Drawing her lips tight, she gave in to her baser instincts, slipped her arm behind his back, and hooked her thumb through his belt loop. She knew she shouldn't encourage a relationship with him, but it was so easy to be with Hunter. He listened to every word she said as though he was truly interested. Instead of talking down to her, he encouraged her thoughts and opinions. To add to his mystique, he was able to stimulate her thoughts, helping her arrive at accurate, patient diagnoses.

Against her better judgment, she shifted closer, dissolving beneath his embrace like frost trying to resist a warm sunrise. Tears stung her eyes. She had been so careful. When had he become more than a friend? She turned her face into him and sighed as his chest rose and fell against her cheek. There was no denying Hunter Morgan was her strength, her comfort, her joy, but more importantly, at some point over the last two years, he had become her heart. It was going to be hard to send him back to his own time.

"Honor," Hunter said. He gently shook her shoulder, jostling her from her euphoric state. Instead of sobering, she moved her hand to his chest. It would be so easy to drift off to sleep while held in his arms.

"Hmm?" she murmured. Did he know how close she was to answering 'yes' to anything he asked?

Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/Pursuing-Foreve...

Print:
http://www.amazon.com/Pursuing-Honor-...

www.CarolASpradling.com

Facebook:
www.facebook.com/pages/Carol-A-Spradl...

message 43: by Carol (new)

Carol Spradling | 5 comments For the next three days (May 16-18), get your copy of FAITHFULLY YOURS FREE at Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Faithfully-Fore...

message 44: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Marie | 4 comments This is my first BIG promotion, and what could be a better time for a love story that takes place just prior to the Revolutionary War than the 4th of July holiday?

To celebrate our heritage, I will be offering the eBook edition of The Seahawk's Sanctuary for only 99cents!!! Regularly priced at $3.99.

This special will be in effect for 9 days: June 29 - July 7!

Amazon's easy 'Buy now with 1-Click' download of the Kindle edition is only a couple of clicks away...

If you own a Nook, Apple, or some other eReader, don't worry. I'm NOT exclusive to Amazon so I've got it covered. Just go to Smashwords (which supports all other eReader formats) and enter AY84S in the coupon box when you check out. The discount code will be in effect until July 7 as well.

For more information, please visit: LynneMarieAuthor.com/blog or The Seahawk's Sanctuary The Seahawk's Sanctuary by Lynne Marie

message 45: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Datta | 1 comments Folks,

I have just published an historical fiction novel. It is currently available as a giveaway.

Touched With Fire is a novel of the Civil War inspired by the true story of Ellen Craft.

Ellen Craft is property, in this case of her half-sister Debra, to whom she was given as a wedding gift. The illegitimate daughter of a Georgia plantation owner and a house slave, she learned to hate her own image, which so closely resembled that of her father – the same wiry build, the same blue eyes, and the same lily-white skin.

Ellen lives a solitary life until she falls, unexpectedly, in love with a dark-skinned slave named William Craft, and together they devise a plan to run North. Ellie will pose as a gentleman planter bound for Philadelphia accompanied by his “boy” Will. They make it as far as Baltimore when Will is turned back, and Ellie has no choice but continue. With no way of knowing if he is dead or alive, she resolves to make a second journey—South again. And so Elijah Craft enlists with the 125th Ohio Volunteers of the Union Army. She will literally fight her way back to her husband.

Eli/Ellie’s journey is the story of an extraordinary individual and an abiding love, but also of the corrosive effects of slavery, and of a nation at a watershed moment.

Debut author CHRISTOPHER DATTA is no stranger to civil conflict or the still-extant scourge of slavery. Most recently the acting ambassador to the Republic of South Sudan where he helped end a war in April of 2012, he has spent a distinguished career moving from one strife-torn country to another, including Lebanon, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, and Liberia. A lifelong student of the American Civil War, his research for Touched with Fire is exacting and based in part on a true story.

“Christopher Datta’s Touched with Fire is in that fine American tradition of the works of Howard Fast and John Jakes. His characters are richly drawn and he has great command of the history to which he has attached his narrative. Also, as Datta’s deliberate and sincere historical fiction wends its way through this abject time in our nation’s youth, he keenly goes about Forest Gumping the reader through a Who’s Who of the Civil War. Touched with Fire is a welcome addition to the ever-increasing canon of Civil War fiction.”

E. Warren Perry, Jr., author, Swift to My Wounded: Walt Whitman and the Civil War
Touched with Fire by Christopher Datta

message 46: by Averil (new)

Averil Reisman | 3 comments I don't know if this is the place to do this, but my first book, To Cuba With Love, was recently released. Here's the back cover blurb.

A steamy, swashbuckler sea adventure set amid the life and death perils of the approaching Spanish-American War.

Loyalty to family is his guiding force . . . .
To keep his family's shipping empire from collapse, Sean Nolan makes a dangerous deal with the devil. He'll transport a lucrative--but illegal--cargo of guns to Cuba in exchange for the cash to keep the company afloat.

Family is something she doesn't understand . . . .
Samantha Ethridge is a complication Sean hadn't counted on. The modern, turn-of-the-century woman is out to prove to her newsman father that she's up to following in his footsteps. She needs to break a big story, and Sean's journey is her best shot for a scoop. To get to Cuba and the revolutionaries fighting for their independence, she blackmails Sean into bringing her along for the adventure.

Danger and passion changes everything . . . .
Two fiercely independent souls brought together by fate, Sean and Samantha are drawn to each other in a high stakes journey where the penalty is death for treason, and the reward, a lifetime of passion . . . if only they will accept what lies in their hearts.

I'm hoping you'll find it an enjoyable read.

message 47: by Liz (new)

Liz Everly | 4 comments Hey everyone--LOVE this group! Love my American historicals! Just wanted to let you know about my newest book TEMPTING WILL MCGLASHEN, set in Va., 1765. I'm looking for people who'd like read it and give me an honest review.
Here's a bit about it: Mathilde Miller wanted to be a good daughter and marry the son of a long-time family friend, Joshua Bowman. But she didn’t want to be the wife of a Pennsylvania farmer. She loved her life, cooking on the Virginia frontier at her family’s ordinary. The minute blacksmith Will McGlashen walks into her kitchen, her restlessness focused on him. Fresh from Scotland, with a voice “like a song” and thick coppery hair, her heart belonged to him. Was it possible for the daughter of a Pennsylvania German to marry a hired man from Scotland? What did she really know about Will McGlashen and his secret past?

Will McGlashen needed to keep his own counsel. A man with a past full of violence and loss in Scotland, he was grateful for this chance to rebuild his life as a blacksmith in Virginia. He’d have to ignore the undeniable pull he felt toward his boss’s eldest daughter. When Joshua Bowman showed up and claimed her, instead of providing resolution for will, it burns like the fire he wields in his blacksmith shop. As events unfold, Will wonders if the signs she’s sending him are all in his head and prays that he has the strength not to find out.

The story is set in the Virginia frontier in 1765, a time when Native Americans still lurked in the hills, bandits and robbers were handed swift justice, and enterprising men and their families attempted to live in and tame the wild western edge of the new colonies. An ordinary offering good food, a bed, and company for travelers along the way was a much welcomed respite. Mathilde and Will's story is woven into the history, adventure, and danger of the time period.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Faery Merry Christmas (other topics)
Shades of Gray (other topics)
Yellowstone Heart Song (other topics)
The Seahawk's Sanctuary (other topics)
Touched with Fire (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Beth Trissel (other topics)