UK Book Club discussion

Recommendations > Steam Punk

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Niall | 132 comments Hey ho neighbours.
Looking to get into a little Steam Punk, and was wondering what people have read. downloaded The Hunchback Assignments for kindle as it was free (my favourite price), and it is ok so far.
Any recommendations appreciated
Niall

Bill | 1319 comments Hi Niall.. Try this article on wikipaedia for some examples. Can't say I've read too many of them myself. I do like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen graphic novels.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_...

message 3: by Esther (last edited Oct 05, 2011 01:47PM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 141 comments I've just read Boneshaker which was good and, in my opinion, classic steampunk.
For lighter and more humourous steam punk I also liked Soulless.

message 4: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Ian (PepeCan) | 4308 comments Mod
What is steam punk?

message 5: by Lynne - The Book Squirrel (last edited Oct 05, 2011 10:31AM) (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) | 3505 comments Ian wrote: "What is steam punk?"

I wondered that so downloaded The Hunchback Assignments free on the kindle to find out!

message 6: by Ian, Moderator (new)

I'm still none the wiser Lynne....by the look of that book, it definitely won't be a genre for me - looks like a cross between fantasy and YA - both my faves as you know - lol, but still I'd like to know.....

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) | 3505 comments @ Ian Think it's an age thing! We are far too old to understand these new fangled genre!

Emma (EmSJ) I think steam punk is usually set in Victorian Britain because of the Industrial Revolution but has a sci-fi/fantasy plot. I have to admit - a lot of the genre labels mystify me.

message 9: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel wrote: "@ Ian Think it's an age thing! We are far too old to understand these new fangled genre!"

Speak for yourself my recently birthday'd friend. I used to be a punk and I like steamed veg.....so I reckon I'm still down with the kids......at least when my zimmer allows

Helen | 3217 comments Sub-genre of fantasy and sci-fi that is usually set in Victorian age, possibly alternative reality as it needs 'steam-power'. Can't think of any that I've read - I'm more fantasy and have usually watched my sci-fi.

Robert (BobHE) | 759 comments Crick y how complicated is all that!! Think I won't bother
In fact let Lynne do the work with her down load and let us oldies know
YES that means you as well Ian!!

message 12: by Ian, Moderator (new)

All sounds rather artificial to be a proper genre

message 13: by Esther (last edited Oct 05, 2011 01:44PM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 141 comments Steampunk is more than just a literary genre for some it's almost a lifestyle or at least involves role play.
Normally based in a neo-Victorian alternate history where most modern technology has an equivalent but powered by steam or clockwork rather than electricty. It tends to involve a lot of leather straps, brass fittings and googles while travel is frequently by dirigible.
There are some great pictures from a recent steampunk exhibition at Oxford's Ashmolean Museaum of Science

Deanne | 591 comments Read George Mann's Newbury and Hobbs trilogy, I like the mix of Victorian setting and science fiction/fantasy.

Niall | 132 comments H.G. Wells is the Grandfather of Steampunk. if that helpss :)

Helen | 3217 comments Ooh Niall you're selling a genre!

Niall | 132 comments I like the idea of steampunk as it takes the idea of Victorian/Edwardian, Industrial revolution based fiction, but then you sprinkle it with whatever your preferred genre of science fiction/fantasy happens to be.

message 18: by Ian, Moderator (new)

Never mind the bollocks....its steampunk

Blair (obviously) | 14 comments I wouldn't call myself a fan of steampunk in general, but G.W. Dahlquist's The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters is one of my favourite books. It's very long, detailed and in-depth but once it hooks you, you won't want to put it down.

Robo Pete (Robopete) | 100 comments Can't believe I've only just stumbled onto this thread! Steampunk is a genre that I just have a inherent love for...I can't explain why but there's just something that appeals to me about it. Despite that though, my actual experience with it is very limited - wasn't really sure where to explore to find suggestions.

Other than The Difference Engine and the succintly title comic series Steampunk I really don't know what else is out there (a failing on my part I suspect).

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) | 3505 comments I did enjoy The Hunchback Assignments by Arthur Slade and will definitely try some more!

Mary | 22 comments Oh I feel old!! Thanks to everyone for the description of steampunk. I'm trying to extend my reading so will add to my reading list. I wonder if it will slip down however as others are added.

Dave Wood (pocket7976) | 995 comments Blair wrote: "I wouldn't call myself a fan of steampunk in general, but G.W. Dahlquist's The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters is one of my favourite books. It's very long, detailed and in-depth but..."

Blair - I tried the Dream Eaters a couple of times - but after a hundred pages or so it didn't grab me - a shame as it seemed right up my alley.

Its still on the shelf somewhere I'll have to have a go again some time.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) | 3505 comments I found another book to read in Steam Punk Genre The Bookman by Lavie Tidhar in the library the other day. Looking forward to reading it.

Nicola  (Nick2420) | 94 comments I read Camera Obscura also by Lavie Tidhar - a reasonable enough book. I'm also about halfway through Boneshakerby Cherie Priest and as things stand at the moment I'd say that the second is the better of the two.

Niall | 132 comments The Dark Deeps is YA steampunk story. this is the second story in the series, however it is free on kindle format at the time of writing this post.
And free is always a good price if you just want to check something out :)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (SquirrelsEnd) | 3505 comments Nicola W wrote: "I read Camera Obscura also by Lavie Tidhar - a reasonable enough book. I'm also about halfway through Boneshakerby Cherie Priest and a..."

I am trying to get a copy of Camera Obscura on RISI.

Nicola  (Nick2420) | 94 comments I got the e-book (DRM Free) from http://angryrobotbooks.com/. It wasn't a free download but from time to time they have promotions and their books are really cheap then. They have a few steampunk books available (as do other suppliers lol, I'm not affiliated ;) )