Snowdrops Snowdrops question

Do you need to like the protagonist to like the book?
Caroline Caroline Oct 04, 2011 02:58AM
So, as my review will show, I wasn't wowed by this book and one of the reasons was that I found the protagonist, Nicholas Platt so unlikeable. Immature, selfish, sexist and completely self deceiving - I found it really hard to care about him. Do you need to like the hero/protagonist to get along with the book? I would be interested to hear people's thoughts.

Caro Gold wrote: "So, as my review will show, I wasn't wowed by this book and one of the reasons was that I found the protagonist, Nicholas Platt so unlikeable. Immature, selfish, sexist and completely self deceivin..."

No I don't think you have to like him, in fact he ends up despising himself for letting himself gradually slip into this hard and often criminal culture of helping yourself at the cost of other people, which seems to sum up life in Moscow. I really enjoyed the book for its gripping description of life in modern Russia.

I didn't dislike him. Anyhow,if you always just liked a literary text once you find the protagonist (or in this case: narrator) sympathetic, you wouldn't be able to read Ulysses, King Lear,Pamela, Tristram Shandy etc. etc. It's just not a very helpful aspect.

Nick seemed quite easily led. Was quite disappointed by the book, especially given the beautiful cover!

Nicholas Platt is your average Joe. Not courageous and blinded by beauty and lust. There are many like him among us. The only thing that I liked about him was his guts to come clean to this fiancee, but still cowardly enough not to actually face her. Tatiana Vladmimirnova was the character that will stay with me. I felt helpless range at the end of the book.

I disliked him too, and found his way of getting ahead of himself 2 weeks and then backtracking annoying. Read on hoping some form of karma would get him over in the end. But no justice for poor Tatiana.

I didn't - I much preferred the old lady. I found the narration to be annoying and him to be too irritating for my liking.
I found the book readable but just nothing really happened except, in play terms, 'off-stage'.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Snowdrops (other topics)