Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 997) (997 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Oct 02, 2011 04:19PM) (new)

Terri | 15084 comments For anyone who is interested in fiction with a Viking flare these are my favourite two series'.

The Whale Road (Oathsworn, #1) by Robert Low The Wolf Sea (Oathsworn, #2) by Robert Low The White Raven (Oathsworn, #3) by Robert Low The Prow Beast (Oathsworn, #4) by Robert Low

Prow Beast has been toted as the final of the series by the author.
But I don't think this Robert Low series is for Viking beginners.
If you haven't read much in the way of Viking themes, an excellent kicking off point would be the fab Bernard Cornwell Saxon series which has the Saxons pitched against the Vikings in many a thrilling shield wall. :)

The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1) by Bernard Cornwell The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Stories, #2) by Bernard Cornwell Lords of the North (The Saxon Stories, #3) by Bernard Cornwell Sword Song (The Saxon Stories, #4) by Bernard Cornwell The Burning Land (The Saxon Stories, #5) by Bernard Cornwell Death Of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #6) by Bernard Cornwell

This Cornwell series is my favourite series of all time.

Ireney Berezniak Is Death of Kings the final in the series or do you think more volumes will be forthcoming?

message 3: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 15084 comments I'd say more for sure. At least I hope more. But, they will have to wind up sooner or later. Uhtred (the main character) has to die sometime. There's only so much he can fit into one lifetime surely. :)

message 4: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 15084 comments I forgot to mention yesterday the Tim Severin Viking series too.
Now, whilst I do own this series, I haven't actually read this series. I bought the first two books in his Corsair series when I bought the Viking series,( many years ago before I had joined a library).
I read the first in that Corsair series and the writing was woeful. I couldn't even finish it.
It was a huge waste of money and I am glad I have joined a library now.
My issue has been...ever since reading and disliking that book from his Corsair series, I have been daunted by the prospect of starting the Viking series.
But I do intend on getting to it. :( Maybe next year.

Cool bookcovers though. :) It was the covers that sucked me in.
Odinn's Child (Viking, #1) by Tim Severin Sworn Brother (Viking, #2) by Tim Severin King's Man (Viking, #3) by Tim Severin

Ireney Berezniak Terri wrote: "I forgot to mention yesterday the Tim Severin Viking series too.
Now, whilst I do own this series, I haven't actually read this series. I bought the first two books in his Corsair series when I bou..."

Not the most inspiring user reviews of those Tim Severin novels, although 2nd and 3rd in the series received better average rating ... most likely because people who disliked the first didn't bother with the rest >8)

While looking around, I also noticed the Raven series by Giles Kristian:

Blood Eye (Raven #1) by Giles Kristian Sons of Thunder (Raven #2) by Giles Kristian Odin's Wolves (Raven #3) by Giles Kristian

ib.

message 6: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 15084 comments I haven't tried them yet. The covers do seduce me a little and I will definitely read the first one in the future.
I think I read an excerpt of Raven a while back and didn't like the writing....although sometimes excerpts, out of context, don't give the right impression of a book. :)

message 7: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 15084 comments 1/3 of the way through The Burning Land now...love it! Uhtred really is my all time favourite character.

Ireney Berezniak Awesome ... I will have to crack that series one day, when it's completed >8)

ib.

Tim Hodkinson (TimHodkinson) | 495 comments I'm reading Death of Kings and its great. Not on a par with Cornwell's Agincourt but still a great read.

message 10: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Oct 25, 2011 03:23PM) (new)

Terri | 15084 comments I am 25 pages into Death of Kings and I am finding it a little dry. Not as quirky and colourful as the former books. It's a different style than what I am used to from the Saxon Series. It is nearly his King Arthur books in its writing style.

message 11: by CB (new)

CB Edwards | 17 comments I read on Cornwell's site that he plans to take Uhtred into the fourth decade of the new millennium, so we have a few more to go.

message 12: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Oct 25, 2011 08:08PM) (new)

Terri | 15084 comments That is good news, Cb....... The fourth decade of the new millenium. phew. There must still be a lot to come...

message 13: by CB (new)

CB Edwards | 17 comments Terri wrote: "That is good news, Cb......:) . The fourth decade of the new millenium. phew."

The first new millennium, not this new millennium.

message 14: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 15084 comments Oh, gotcha. Clear as mud. ;)

Tim Hodkinson (TimHodkinson) | 495 comments Wouldnt that make uhtred about 150 years old, or have i got my milleniums wrong?1

message 16: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Oct 26, 2011 12:05AM) (new)

Terri | 15084 comments I think we both have our milleniums wrong. lol :)

I am thinking the fourth decade of 'this' new millenium means 2040????? I think???? I don't know if I'll still be into the series by then.....that would be a lot of Uhtred. I might be bored with him if he's still doing the same old same old. Carving up Danes with Serpent Breath and Wasp Sting for the next 28 years. :)

message 17: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Oct 26, 2011 03:28AM) (new)

Terri | 15084 comments Oh do excuse my brain hiccup there. i have other things on my mind and I wasn't focused.

Initially I thought Cb meant Cornwell would be writing the series until 2040 and I was like...huh?..what the hey??

I was on a completely different tangent to you all. I thought Cb was telling us how much longer Cornwell would be delivering Uhtred books. *blush*
But I see now that Cb meant Uhtred hisself would be around into the first millenium.

Obviously, now that my brain has had numerous hours to digest the information, I am on the ball.

Ah, sharp as a tack I am, I am. ;)

message 18: by CB (new)

CB Edwards | 17 comments Sorry, I should have been more clear. I may have gotten it wrong, but I think Cornwell said his plans were to take Uhtred to 1040, which would make Uhtred around eighty years old.

message 19: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 15084 comments That's okay, Cb. :)
The news was good, just confused me for a second. lol.
I hope Uhtred keeps going for more than one more book, but if he doesn't, then the book after Death of Kings better be one helluva book. :)

Bell (BellHuey) | 19 comments Terri wrote: "For anyone who is interested in fiction with a Viking flare these are my favourite two series'.

The Whale Road (Oathsworn, #1) by Robert LowThe Wolf Sea (Oathsworn, #2) by Robert LowThe White Raven (Oathsworn, #3) by Robert Low..."

I'll be sure to check Low's novels! I just frigging love the Uthred -series!

message 21: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new)

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4170 comments Hey Terri,

You have inspired me to go back to Cornwell's Saxon series and I found book 3 at the library and started it again. Maybe I'll make it through book 4 too!!

message 22: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Oct 26, 2011 10:24PM) (new)

Terri | 15084 comments Bellhuey wrote: "I'll be sure to check Low's novels! I just frigging love the Uthred -series! .."

I frickin' love the Uhtred series too. :D lol
The Oathsworn series (Robert Low) is the next best thing...but in saying that, I haven't read that Raven series that ib mentioned. I read the first page the other day (via the Amazon 'look inside feature') and it read very well.

message 23: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 15084 comments Hey Dawn! Awesome. hahaha. Glad my fanaticism inspired you. :)

The 4th book, Swordsong, I didn't actually like much, but my good friend, who's on GR, just read it and she gave it 5 stars. So there is no telling what you will make of it.

Good luck with Lords of The North!!!! Keep me posted!

Lee Broderick | 483 comments Cb wrote: "I read on Cornwell's site that he plans to take Uhtred into the fourth decade of the new millennium, so we have a few more to go."

Really, I thought it was planned as a seven book series?

Lee Broderick | 483 comments Terri wrote: "I am 25 pages into Death of Kings and I am finding it a little dry. Not as quirky and colourful as the former books. It's a different style than what I am used to from the Saxon Series. It is nearl..."

Hope it picks up for you. I quite enjoyed it, but then I seem to enjoy Derfel more than you!

message 26: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 15084 comments Lee wrote: "but then I seem to enjoy Derfel more than you! ..."

A lot more than me. :) lol Derfel put me to sleep.
But all is not lost with Death of Kings yet. Still good...just..um..not as catching.

Lee Broderick | 483 comments Terri wrote: "Lee wrote: "but then I seem to enjoy Derfel more than you! ..."

A lot more than me. :) lol Derfel put me to sleep.
But all is not lost with Death of Kings yet. Still good...just..um..not as catching."

To be fair, I did think it was a bit slower paced than the others, but wondered if my mind was playing tricks on me - you had the advantage(?) of reading them back to back.

message 28: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 15084 comments Well, The Burning Land back to back with Death of Kings. Yeah, that was an advantage.
The Burning Land was an absolute winner for me. It just really floated my boat.

I am between page 60 and 100 somewhere and Death of Kings has greatly improved. :) There's a scene, in a cave, with a shrivelled old naked lady and some mushroom juice......;) Fun.

Lee Broderick | 483 comments Terri wrote: "Well, The Burning Land back to back with Death of Kings. Yeah, that was an advantage.
The Burning Land was an absolute winner for me. It just really floated my boat.

I am between page 60 and 100 ..."

Glad to hear it's picking up for you.

message 30: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new)

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4170 comments Finished Lords of the North (The Saxon Stories, #3) by Bernard Cornwell and thought it was great.
Now I just have to wait for Sword Song (The Saxon Stories, #4) by Bernard Cornwell to come in at the library. Hopefully very soon.

message 31: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 15084 comments Whoa. Super fast. I am guessing that you had already read some when you added it to your updates yesterday. LOL.
I try to do my 100 pages a day when on a tight reading schedule, but I don't always succeed. I wish I was a faster reader.

message 32: by Dawn, A mari usque ad mare (new)

Dawn (CaveatLector) | 4170 comments I picked it up on Wednesday after work and finished it late last night. Wasn't expecting to read it that fast myself but there was nothing interesting on TV. It helps that I have no one depending on me for anything too, if I want to read from 5pm to midnight, I can.

message 33: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 15084 comments I have to admit. It is not hard to read straight through one of those books. I did it recently with book 5The Burning Land. Couldn't put it down.

message 34: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Oct 29, 2011 06:05PM) (new)

Terri | 15084 comments If anyone can find it, this is not a bad read.
I read it ages ago and thought it was quite good.
p.s which has reminded me to put it on my 'read' shelves.
Bloodfeud  Murder and Revenge in Anglo-Saxon England by Richard FletcherBloodfeud: Murder and Revenge in Anglo-Saxon England

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 07, 2011 08:17PM) (new)

One for the road: The Soul Thief. A pair of Irish twins, a boy and a girl, are seperated when the girl is taken by Vikings and her twin brother comes looking for her. Holland writes well and doesn't go for some of the more gratuitous methods of keeping a reader's attention although she doesn't ignore the realities of the day either.

message 36: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 15084 comments Sounds interesting, Craig. :)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Again, she writes well, and she does a good job giving substance to the sister in an age when women were often little more than chattel. Or so they're often described.

Tim Hodkinson (TimHodkinson) | 495 comments Speaking of Vikings, and sorry to veer off topic, but I went to see a Viking heavy metal band last night called Turisas. They were fantastic! I was the oldest person at it though by about 15 years. Its probably time I grew up.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Adulthood and maturity are over rated Tim. Besides, Albert Einstein said that the greatest men have the heart of a child.

message 40: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 08, 2011 11:15AM) (new)

Terri | 15084 comments Tim wrote: "Speaking of Vikings, and sorry to veer off topic, but I went to see a Viking heavy metal band last night called Turisas. They were fantastic! I was the oldest person at it though by about 15 years...."

It doesn't matter how old you are, Tim. Viking metal is for everyone. Afterall, it is the type of metal that needs to be appreciated live, you had no choice. :)

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Sometimes you just have to get your Viking on, Tim.

Ireney Berezniak Did the band look something like this?

message 43: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 08, 2011 01:02PM) (new)

Terri | 15084 comments The techno Viking. I wonder if he made any money from that.

J.R. Tomlin (JRTomlin) Terri wrote: "For anyone who is interested in fiction with a Viking flare these are my favourite two series'.

The Whale Road (Oathsworn, #1) by Robert LowThe Wolf Sea (Oathsworn, #2) by Robert LowThe White Raven (Oathsworn, #3) by Robert Low..."
I'm not sure I'd agree about Oathsworn not being for beginners. I'm prejudiced though.

I think it is by far the best fiction that's ever been written about Vikings so maybe you can't go by me. :)

message 45: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 15, 2011 11:18PM) (new)

Terri | 15084 comments I'd agree about it being the best Viking series by far. Technically the Cornwell series is about Saxons fighting Danes, so I daren't call that a Viking series really. :)
. Robert Low's series is about Vikings in all their brutal glory.

I haven't read a lot of other Viking series'.
Haven't got much to go on, but I love the series for sure. Was sad to see it end.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

This may have already been posted, but The Long Ships. Fictional narrative of Orm the Red: a Viking of vikings, warrior, jarl, and hypochondriac. Written in the style of the sagas, but thankfully without all those complicated geneologies.

message 47: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 15084 comments I don't remember seeing it mentioned yet.
I tried to track The Long Ships down last year. Library doesn't have it and I tried a lot of secondhand bookstores.
I may have to buy it eventually.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I did buy it and it wasn't a purchase I regreted. But everyone is different.

message 49: by J.R. (last edited Nov 16, 2011 10:44AM) (new)

J.R. Tomlin (JRTomlin) Terri wrote: "I'd agree about it being the best Viking series by far. Technically the Cornwell series is about Saxons fighting Danes, so I daren't call that a Viking series really. :)
. Robert Low's series is a..."
Cornwell is fantastic. But you're right that it isn't technically about the Vikings. I haven't really read a lot of Viking fiction, so I suppose saying Low's is the best doesn't say much but it really is a great series. (Oops. Sorry for the hyperbole)

I have read a novel called "Odin-Son: The Berserk Saga" which is so-so, not bad but not great. "The Long Ships" is very good, but I thought it would have been better if he hadn't tried to get so much into one novel and had done a series as Low did. It was really too episodic to suit my tastes and the editing left a lot to be desired.

H. Rider Haggard wrote a novel called "Eric Brighteyes" that I've actually heard VERY good things about, but it's long out of print. One of these day's I'll see if I can find a reasonably priced copy. There is another one I've heard of called by E. R. Eddison called "Styrbiorn the Strong" that is supposed to be good.

Haggard isn't an author I'd normally recommend but I've heard that the Viking one really is worth finding.

Edit: Sorry for the lack of links. One day I'll figure out how to do them here. ;-)

message 50: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 15084 comments J.R. wrote: "It was really too episodic to suit my tastes and the editing left a lot to be desired. ..."

Errg, I hate bad editing.

I can tell you how to do add the links if you'd like? :)

Click add book/author at the top of your message box when you post.

Then put in the book name...or the author name which is sometimes better when trying to find obscure books....and make your selection. press 'add'.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 19 20

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Whale Road (other topics)
Sword Song (other topics)
Lords of the North (other topics)
The Last Kingdom (other topics)
The White Raven (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robert Low (other topics)
Giles Kristian (other topics)