Manga Book Club discussion

Other > Japanese Fallacies I Learned from Manga

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Starbubbles (new)

Starbubbles | 876 comments Mod
This is a topic I've wanted to do for a while. I wanted a place where I and frankly, anyone else who vents to vent or shed some light on reoccurring themes, topics, phrases, etc. that are said/done/presented in manga that are just not true, but are presented as if they were.
Let's set the record straight!

message 2: by Starbubbles (new)

Hmm, where to begin?

Walking in a Crosswalk means being Rundown by a Car
It seems as though crosswalks are the most dangerous place to walk as that's the only place people are hit. Is that the number one killer in Japan, and not old age? What about j-walking? Are j-walker impervious to being hit by a car; if so, why doesn't everyone j-walk?

Japan is a small country.
There are over 3,000 islands that are a part of Japan, and it's about the size of CA. While it is mountainous, and you can't see the islands that are apparently uninhabited as no one from any story is from an island outside of the main four; it's not exactly small.

Cigarettes don't smell in Japan.
While smoking is often in the background and not exactly noticeable in relation to character development, but thugs, tough guys, rebels are not the only ones smoking. They do tend to be people who go either own way, but there is rarely a talk about the smell, health matters, taste desensitized, death by cancers related to smoking...
It's a little bit of a sensitive subject for me since both of my biological grandparents on my mom's side died due to smoking. It's striking that doctors, "good kids," chefs, all smoke and this isn't even batted an eye at. This is not to say you can't be a good person, with a good head on your shoulders and be a smoker. That is not my point. I'm angry at dialog about smoking not even being on the radar. Every now and then odor is mentioned, and even more rarely that it is not exactly like smelling roses, even the cloves.

No one cares about their virginity
I haven't read once about any attachment to it. Only once did I read a short story about someone saving themselves for a certain person. I fail to believe that there is an entire country of people who doesn't have any feeling of loss, insecurity, identity confusion over crossing an intimate line for the first time in or outside a relationship. I can accept it's different in America, but I think it's a little weird that everyone loses it exactly when they are ready to, to the right people, and at the right time.

There are no STDs in Japan
I have yet to read about one. It seems that condoms are only mentioned in regard to birth control and nothing else. I just might live in a slutty community, but it's a ratio of something like 1:4 of active people at some point get one, with traceable strands of some particular to my area. Now, I'm sure the ratio isn't like that everywhere (I hope not at least), but even if it's 10%, 5%, isn't that still common enough for common knowledge and an understanding that it's out there?

Condoms are fail-safe
It seems as though when there is a scare, it's because there was a time a key male forgot to wrap up. Even with proper use every time, it can still fail. What about other methods too? Do they not exist, or is it just the guys that decide when it's okay for baby to appear? Okay, unfair statement as I have read stories about mothers choosing to be single-mothers ever after it's apparent the other half of the party is not willing.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth (poodlefruit) | 2 comments Being a parent is the most dangerous job in Japan

If you do manage to get to your teens without one or both of your parents dying, you probably don't live in the same city as them.

If you don't live alone by the time you turn 15, chances are you are either raising or being raised by one or more of your siblings.

message 4: by Starbubbles (new)

Beth wrote: "Being a parent is the most dangerous job in Japan

If you do manage to get to your teens without one or both of your parents dying, you probably don't live in the same city as them.

If you don't l..."

I know!!!
And if they're not dead, both parents are either working or traveling constantly!

message 5: by Starbubbles (last edited Oct 03, 2011 11:05PM) (new)

If you are a rich kid, you are a CEO by the time you are in high school.
Why is it that all the rich kids are not only freakishly smart, but are flawlessly running big corporations by the time they are in high school?

unread topics | mark unread