A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) A Game of Thrones discussion

Who's your favorite/least favorite character?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 461) (461 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Laura Wise This book shifts its POV through a host of fantastic characters. I'm only on Book 2, so no spoilers please! But so far, my favorite characters are Jon Snow, Tyrion Lannister, and Daenerys Targaryen.

I'm fond of Arya (because nine-year-old me was basically her) and Sansa is growing on me, though she still irritates the hell out of me sometimes with her naivete. Bran is all right, I guess, though as of now he's getting on my nerves with his constant (though warranted) self-pity.

As for characters that don't get a voice per chapter, I like Sandor Clegane a lot, as well as Lord Mormont. Varys is interesting, and I want to know more about him.

As for least favorite characters, I cannot stand Catelyn Stark or Theon Greyjoy. OR his sister Asha. Cersei's an evil bitch as well (though I suppose that's a given) though I disliked King Robert almost as much. I also despise Jaime Lannister, though I hear he's better/more sympathetic in the TV series. I like *smart* characters, not handsome rash idiots.

Torie I'm starting the second book and I'm super excited! My favorites, so far, are Arya, Dany, Jon, Robb (unf so handsome in the TV series) and Tyrion. Arya is by far, the most fun to read, though Tyrion has the best lines of the book. I agree about Sandor Clegane. I can't wait to see what happens with him.

Cersei is such a fun character to hate, moreso than Joffrey. Sansa is annoying and has yet to grow on me.

Summer I like Jon Snow and Tyrion Lannister. Also Brienne of Tarth (she shows up later), Jaime Lannister (at least, later in the series I start to like him!), and Arya Stark. Oh, and Samwell is sweet, too. Sandor Clegane is a really great, interesting side character. I would love to know more about him. Littlefinger is also one of those superbly written characters that you love to hate.

I don’t like Catelyn, Theon, or Asha. I do like Cersei’s character – she’s interesting to read about and a great villain. Same with Joffrey. Sansa’s parts are getting better (I’m on the fourth book) but she has yet to become a favorite.

Pritam Dasgupta Tyrion is hilarious! And ofc, Lord Snow is my fav!

I hate all other Lannisters, specially Joff and Cer.

Laura Wise I can understand Cersei and where she's coming from and what motivates her actions, but ugh, that doesn't mean I have to *like* her. Jaime, either. They're both so rash, stupid, and selfish, whereas Tyrion is smart and actually thinks about the rest of the kingdom and people he has to rule. I think both Cersei and Jaime are more sympathetic in the TV series, from what I've seen, but to me Jaime's only redeeming characteristic is that he's good to Tyrion.

I just finished A Clash of Kings, and can I say, I LOVE Sandor Clegane. Haha, I just wish he would kill his brother already, or something.

Laura Wise Torie wrote: "I'm starting the second book and I'm super excited! My favorites, so far, are Arya, Dany, Jon, Robb (unf so handsome in the TV series) and Tyrion. Arya is by far, the most fun to read, though Tyr..."

LOL, I suddenly liked Robb a LOT better after watching the first few episodes. XD He's quite attractive. And I liked that they aged up the kids by a few years, probably to get better actors (and also I don't feel like such a creep for thinking Robb's hot).

Bianca I am alredy through the first four books and I really hope I don't give anything away for anyone.

My most favourite character by far is Daenerys, although in my mind she always seems to be older than 14. I also really like Arya because she seems smart and able to help herself. Another one would be Tyrion. He seemed to be the nicest Lannister in all of Westeros despite the wickedness everyone treated him with.
At the beginning I also liked Brienne but she is getting a bit annyoing by book four (at least for me).

My least favourite character would have to be Cersei. I cannot stand how cruel and selfish she is although it would be in her power to be more benign. She also seems very stupid to me because she never seems to get why people cannot stand her.

Laura Wise Yeah, I agree. Cersei is a strong woman, but she just seems so stupid and pigheaded sometimes. Her one redeeming quality: she didn't want to throw Bran out a window. That was Jaime.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

The Imp and Lord Snow.

Renée van Daalen (I'm on 28% of A Dance With Dragons)

I love the way Jaime is evolving,

Cersie, I love to hate!

Arya is cool and tough and I love her,

I started to love Sansa during the second book,

At first I loved loved loved Jon, then I even loved him more, then he became dull and then I started liking him again,

Catelyn gets better and better,

Davos usually bores me... I almost always put my book down when I start his chapters...

My opinion of Daenerys switches from boring to loving her every chapter!

I love reading about the self doubt of Samwell and Brienne

Tyrion brings a smile to my face every single chapter

that's it for now ;)

Carole Tyrion Lannister is a brilliant character. My favourite is him or Arya, I haven't decided yet. I think Cersei is also a brilliant character although I hate her. But that's the point, isn't it?

I've only read the first two books so I'm sure my opinion will change :)

Laura Wise Some of these characters - Jon Snow and Tyrion for instance - are going on my mental character list of Favorite Characters in All of Fiction. :) Tyrion's a really unique character; you don't see a lot of people like him in other books. Or at least I haven't.

Torie Laura wrote: "Torie wrote: "I'm starting the second book and I'm super excited! My favorites, so far, are Arya, Dany, Jon, Robb (unf so handsome in the TV series) and Tyrion. Arya is by far, the most fun to re..."

Yeah, I agree. Aging up the characters was a great decision. It was kind of ridiculous to think these preteens could go around conquering things anyway (though it might have been possible back then, who knows). Also, great idea because they provided their audience with some great eye-candy. Yum-o.

Ugh. I'm on Clash of Kings right now and Ser Davos' chapters are SO BORING. I almost want to skip through the whole chapter because it's so dull. Would I miss a lot though? Does anyone think it's worth it to read his pov?

message 14: by Pritam (last edited Oct 10, 2011 10:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pritam Dasgupta @Torie

You would miss out on Ser Davos and Melisandre's fateful boat ride. :P
Also it might explain about Renly's fate.

**without giving out much spoilers**

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura wrote: "Some of these characters - Jon Snow and Tyrion for instance - are going on my mental character list of Favorite Characters in All of Fiction. :) Tyrion's a really unique character; you don't see a ..."

Agreed. Tyrion alone can make this book 3 stars for me.

message 16: by E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E. From the beginning I already love Tyrion. Who doesn't right? Dany is all the lovable. Plus Arya and Jon Snow.

At the beginning I didn't enjoy reading Sansa, but I came to like her too. Jaime and Cersei are awfully fun to read.

Sometimes Bran annoys me quite a bit, the same goes for Brienne.

It's really hard to say who I don't like, because George R.R. Martin really got this talent to make you like everyone you read about. Not in the traditional way as "like", but I really like to get to see things in different points of view.

René Hm when the book started, I really liked Tyrion, Jon Snow, Arya and Dany.
While Dany isn't that interesting to me anymore, I really enjoyed the other three.

Littlefinger is also very interesting. I am not saying I like him, but still he is so very interesting.

When it comes to my least favorite characters, there is at start the Lannisters, especially Cersei and Joph. I also don't really like Sansa. Her chapters got more interesting in the later books, but she herself is still not interesting.

(view spoiler)

Laura Wise Torie wrote: "Aging up the characters was a great decision. It was kind of ridiculous to think these preteens could go around conquering stuff anyway"

Time out! I completely disagree. I thought the younger ages of characters made the books truer to the time period they were based on, where preteens DID commonly get engaged and have sex, and sometimes fought battles and conquered stuff. It also made Viserys's selling of his 13yo sister to Khal Drogo seem even more heartless. I liked that the TV show aged them up to make things like the sex more palatable to a modern audience. But unrealistic? I wouldn't say so!

Also, when you get really young-ish characters in a long series like this, it's probably a setup for them to age several to many years over the course of the books. If A Song of Ice and Fire takes 10 years to finish, Jon Snow will be in his 20's and Arya a teenager by the time it ends. Also, when characters start younger, you know part of the story will be their coming of age. In the medieval world, this rite-of-passage happened younger for those of noble birth, and we see that happening in Game of Thrones. Robb's leading an army and he only just turned 16!

message 19: by Torie (last edited Oct 11, 2011 12:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Torie Laura wrote: "Torie wrote: "Aging up the characters was a great decision. It was kind of ridiculous to think these preteens could go around conquering stuff anyway"

Time out! I completely disagree. I thought ..."

You ignored my parenthesis of " (though it might have been possible back then, who knows)"!

message 20: by Jez (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jez Sharpe Looking forward to starting the second, this week i hope. My favorite character is jon i think he has the hardest task, and Arya, now there's spirit!

message 21: by Dani (last edited Oct 14, 2011 05:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani I just finished the first book a few days ago. Catelyn is my favorite character, easily. She is just so real, it's crazy.

At first, it was a tie between her and Jon, but then Jon started whining and he eventually got on my nerves. Plus, toward the end when everything was really going down, I felt like his chapter were an intermission.

If there was anyone else that I truly enjoyed reading it was Tyrion and Dany. Tyrion, because, as disgustingly crude as he is, I think he is a good man and who can't respect for 4-foot person who can pawn....anyone. And Dany, because it I liked seeing her mature. Sansa was also pretty interesting for me, because I knew that she'd get a rude awakening. Of yeah, and Ned. I love Ned. Arya, too. Except for the part when he was pushed and he learned of Ned's death, Bran was also an annoying intermission of the juicyness.

Laura Wise Casey wrote: "Dani wrote: "I just finished the first book a few days ago. Catelyn is my favorite character, easily. She is just so real, it's crazy.

At first, it was a tie between her and Jon, but then Jon st..."

I would say Catelyn is a really realistic character, but she's still one of my least favorite characters. I like her a little better in CoK. But still, she's such a b*tch to Jon, and really judgmental...I couldn't really like her...

Jon has a good reason to brood, lol. He matures a lot in the next book :) I actually like his and Dany's chapters because they seem like the real story -- *not* like an intermission. Everyone is squabbling over the Seven Kingdoms and having their little intrigues etc., while completely oblivious to the threats closing in from the North and South. Dany's trying to muster an army, and Jon's defending the North from a supernatural threat.

Waqas Least Favourites Ramsay Bolton & Cersei. Favourites Jon & Starks in general.

Carolyn Likes and dislikes may change as their stories progress.
Favorites: Jaimie and Brienne and a couple of later characters.
Hate: Ramsay Bolton, Cersei.
Used to be favorites, but now Becoming Annoying: Dany and Tyrion. This may change .
Becoming Boring : Bran and Arya
Getting more interesting: Theon, Littlefinger
Not liking:Catelyn

Laura Wise For some reason, people start liking Jaime once he gets a voice in the later chapters. I like reading from his perspective, but I still dislike him as much as ever.

On the contrary, Carolyn, I find Bran and Arya getting more interesting the more the books go on... :)

message 26: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will IV Laura wrote: "For some reason, people start liking Jaime once he gets a voice in the later chapters. I like reading from his perspective, but I still dislike him as much as ever."

How come?

Laura Wise Will wrote: "Laura wrote: "For some reason, people start liking Jaime once he gets a voice in the later chapters. I like reading from his perspective, but I still dislike him as much as ever."

How come?"

Mainly because he's still as much of an asshole as ever. Also that he fucked his sister (lol). And from his flashbacks, he is kind of weak and easily manipulated by Cersei (though that starts to change). AND he still feels little remorse for throwing Bran out the window...also he's too rash and full of his golden-armored self...Add that to the fact that he's lied to Tyrion for years about Tysha, and it makes me hate him almost as much as Tyrion does in the end. :P He's a strong, unique voice that's fun to read, but I still dislike the character.

message 28: by Mina (last edited Oct 20, 2011 06:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mina Khan I just finished the second book and can't wait to get started on the third.

At this point, I really like the Imp and Arya.

I still find Sansa annoying. I can tell she's getting stronger, but there are still too many eye-rolling moments.

I'm intrigued by Daenerys and the Hound.

Cersei is a great villainess and actually really enjoy her character.

The one person I truly dislike in this series: Joffrey.

message 29: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will IV Mina wrote: "I still find Sansa annoying. I can tell she's getting stronger, but there are still too many eye-rolling moments."

I did this too until I forced myself to realize that she is just a 12 year old child acting exactly like any other 12 year old impressionable girl would in her circumstances.

message 30: by Mina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mina Khan OMGooodness, you're right. I keep forgetting the characters are so young. Given the horrible things happening and all of what they are doing, they just seem older...so I expect more from them.

Thanks for the reminder!

message 31: by Will (last edited Oct 20, 2011 07:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will IV Mina wrote: "I keep forgetting the characters are so young."

This is especially disturbing when watching Daenerys on the TV show, because even though the actress is over 18, it's still a bit disconcerting seeing her nude when the character is supposed to be like 13 years old. Especially since the actress is particularly attractive.

message 32: by Mina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mina Khan I want to first finish reading the entire series, before I see the TV show. But yeah, I can see how that could be disturbing...

While surfing the net, I saw some pictures of Drogo (or rather the actor in makeup) and was disappointed. In my mind, he was muscled but leaner, with a longer better looking face. Hmm, yes, I have an active imagination. =D

message 33: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will IV Haha, well, he does a great job as him. And you should get really excited for the TV show, because it is extremely well done.

message 34: by Mina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mina Khan Will wrote: "And you should get really excited for the TV show, because it is extremely well done."

Note to myself: Read faster!

message 35: by E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E. Mina wrote: "While surfing the net, I saw some pictures of Drogo (or rather the actor in makeup) and was disappointed. In my mind, he was muscled but leaner, with a longer better looking face..."

I actually liked Jason Momoa's Drogo in the TV series a way more than the Drogo in the books. More flesh and blood and passionate.

Renée van Daalen Emily wrote: "Mina wrote: "While surfing the net, I saw some pictures of Drogo (or rather the actor in makeup) and was disappointed. In my mind, he was muscled but leaner, with a longer better looking face..."

..."

Same here! I loved Jason!

message 37: by Mina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mina Khan Lol, sounds like I will definitely have to see the TV shows and watch Jason/Drogo in action, and Dany too :)

message 38: by MARILYN (last edited Oct 21, 2011 08:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MARILYN Casey wrote: "Will wrote: "Mina wrote: "I keep forgetting the characters are so young."

This is especially disturbing when watching Daenerys on the TV show, because even though the actress is over 18, it's stil..."

Did you really think Arya and Sansa were 12 & 14? Maybe I was too wrapped up in the story to notice but I really didn't think that at all. I knew that they were portraying Dani as older because of the sex. As far as Drago goes, I thought Jason Momoa was an excellent choice. I think he really captured the role. On the same token, Tyrion is described as ugly and Peter Dinklage is certainly not ugly. He won and Emmy too.

message 39: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will IV MARILYN wrote: "On the same token, Tyrion is described as ugly and Peter Dinklage is certainly not ugly."

I said this precise thing before the show started to my friend who is a fan as well. He didn't seem to have a problem with it, but Tyrion is specifically described as extremely hideous many times throughout the series.

message 40: by Mina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mina Khan And Tyrion is one of my favorite characters! Well, I guess as long as they got his personality right maybe I won't be distracted by his looks?

message 41: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will IV Yeah, the personality is SPOT on.

Siew Ee I am now on Book Three (A Storm of Swords) and taking it slow cos every book in this series is very long.... So far, I would say that my favourite character is Tyrion Lannister - a man with integrity, loyalty and courage. A pity he's so ugly. Next to Tyrion, I also like Jon Snow and Robb Stark.

My least favourite character? Hmmm... that would be either Sansa Stark or Cersei Lannister. I don't quite like Catherine Tully but I can't exactly pinpoint the reason I dislike her character. And I must say I hate the incest between Jaime and Cersei! Urgh!

Laura Wise Will wrote: "Mina wrote: "I keep forgetting the characters are so young."

This is especially disturbing when watching Daenerys on the TV show, because even though the actress is over 18, it's still a bit disco..."

They aged up all the kids in the TV show by a couple of years, probably so it wouldn't be quite as creepy for a modern audience. Jon, Robb, and Daenerys are 17, Sansa's 14, Arya's 12 and Bran's 10. Still a little young, but it's really realistic wit the medieval world they're in.

Dany and Khal Drogo would be really cute together if she wasn't, you know, 14. :P

message 44: by Mina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mina Khan Laura wrote: "Dany and Khal Drogo would be really cute together if she wasn't, you know, 14 :P"

I think that's why my mind conveniently keeps forgetting the ages because that would disrupt my reading. :)

Totally agree about Dany & Khal Drogo, but also like the idea of Sansa & the Hound (I know, I know the age difference...sigh)

Torie Oh! I also really like Gendry and think the casting in the show is fantastic. Love Skins, and think he'll be great.

message 46: by Roz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roz I've read 4 of the 5 books but I think I'm going to have to reread them before I go on to the 5th. It's been a while. One of my favorite characters is Arya. She's no nonsense, a tomboy and quite independent. I like that about her. The Lannister brothers (Jaime and Tyrion) are cruel and ugly each in his own way, one morally, the other physically. But just when your get a really good hate going for them, they tend to do something noble or kind and you have to back up. When you think about it, George Martin did that with all the "ugly" characters in the books, Hound for example. There's always something redeemable in everyone. Something that makes you feel almost sorry for them.

message 47: by Mina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mina Khan Roz Wrote: "There's always something redeemable in everyone"

Oooh good point, and all the heroic characters have flaws and stumble. I'm thinking about Ned Stark.

message 48: by Roz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roz Mina wrote: "Roz Wrote: "There's always something redeemable in everyone"

Oooh good point, and all the heroic characters have flaws and stumble. I'm thinking about Ned Stark."

Exactly. If characters were either completely bad or good, hateful or heroic, they would be perfect and perfect tends to be boring. It's the flaws that make them so intersting and keep us reading about them.

message 49: by E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E. Will wrote: "MARILYN wrote: "On the same token, Tyrion is described as ugly and Peter Dinklage is certainly not ugly."

I said this precise thing before the show started to my friend who is a fan as well. He di..."

If I set my mind into the correct timeline, didn't people think every different or extraordinary things were ugly? So I can easily imagine how everyone would think Tyrion's ugly few hundred years ago. I think Peter Dinklage is hot.

And let's not forget that GOT is written in different people's own perspective, and beauty (or ugliness in this case) is always in the eye of the beholder.

Robin I agree they've toned down the "ugliness" on the show in general - even Sandor Clegane has less burn scars on his face than what is described in the books. If I recall, the entire side of his face is scarred in the books, so much so that he doesn't have much in the way of lips on that side (I think that was him?). On the show, the burns don't reach his mouth. That could be down to budgeting though - the make up to alter the mouth in that way could have been too expensive. (view spoiler)

I'll also be interested in seeing how they portray Breinne - I'm not convinced the actress is all that beautiful. Take a look at this photo of her: http://media.salon.com/2011/07/britis...
She looks pretty hard and rough in that picture. At the very least, she is tall and fairly bulky (broad shoulders, thick calves, etc), she doesn't exactly have the body of a skinny model. So she could pull this off.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

A Game of Thrones (other topics)
A Dance with Dragons (other topics)
A Storm of Swords (other topics)