Q&A with Jamie Todd Rubin discussion

If By Reason of Strength
This topic is about If By Reason of Strength
If By Reason of Strength...

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jamietr) | 5 comments Mod
A discussion on my my novelette, If By Reason of Strength, published by 40kbooks.

message 2: by Gail (new)

Gail Baugniet | 2 comments Jamie, Your novelette title provokes intriguing thoughts. Can you give a bit of background to your choice?

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (jamietr) | 5 comments Mod
Gail wrote: "Jamie, Your novelette title provokes intriguing thoughts. Can you give a bit of background to your choice?"

Some years ago, I remember hearing about a fellow who was sentenced to 7 consecutive life sentences in prison (or something like that). I wondered what the point of that was--he would die in prison--so why not just say "life in prison"? And it got me thinking: what would happen if, for some reason, a person was sentenced to multiple life sentences--and managed to live out the entire sentence? That was the germ for "If By Reason of Strength..." which was originally written at a science fiction workshop run by science fiction Grand Master, James Gunn.

The title is from the Bible and I liked it for this story because it referred to what the Bible considered to be a natural human lifespan (70 years: threescore and ten) and implied that living any longer than this would only bring you despair, which is very much what I imagined Norman Gilmore experienced when he was released from prison.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

If By Reason of Strength (other topics)