Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

General Discussions > New & Upcoming Releases

Comments (showing 1-50 of 307) (307 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Nov 03, 2011 03:59PM) (new)

Terri | 17036 comments I am looking forward to the release of;
Hawk Quest by Robert Lyndon
Due out January 2012.

Sounds good, however, I do hate to buy books by authors I am unfamiliar with if I can't read an excerpt.
Which for me and this book means I may not be able to take advantage of the reduced 'pre order' price. I have had my fingers burned too many times by buying books by authors I don't know. My money is too precious to throw away. :\

Maybe closer to the release date there will be an excerpt somewhere.

message 2: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments hahaha! I am yet to read Ben Kane. :)

argh, if only I could find an excerpt. If I could see how he writes and if it is any good, I would pre order Hawk Quest.
For some reason that cover keeps sucking me in...and it has a lot of pages which screams epic to me. Which also sucks me in.

message 3: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Tomlin (JRTomlin) My sequel to A Kingdom's Cost: entitled Countenance of War will be out in February 2012. It's also set in the midst of the Scottish War of Independence.

message 4: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Tomlin (JRTomlin) It will be released in February. It's still in edit. Sorry that I wasn't clear. It is upcoming.

message 5: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Tomlin (JRTomlin) Hmmm. I didn't realize you could add upcoming titles. I'll have to figure out how that works. ;)

Thanks for letting me know.

message 6: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments MAY 2012
The sequel to Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
 Bring up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel
Bring up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

message 7: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments End of 2012 sometime. Book 5 in Robert Low's Oathsworn series. Called, Crowbone.
Robert Low

message 8: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments How come I've never seen this thread before?

Just so that the group can start its official count-down: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

message 9: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments *squeeee*

message 10: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments You didn't see it before because the folders were all set to only show 6 threads at a time. I changed it today to show 10.

message 11: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments Although, in saying that, ah, this thread has an asterisks next to it which means it stays in the top few of the thread..so it appears, Lee, that you simply couldn't see the forest for the trees.

message 12: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Terri wrote: "Although, in saying that, ah, this thread has an asterisks next to it which means it stays in the top few of the thread..so it appears, Lee, that you simply couldn't see the forest for the trees."

Sounds about right.

So many damned trees. One day we'll have turned them all into books. That'll learn 'em.

message 13: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments Yep. Kill the trees. Kill them all!

message 14: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments I'm only joking about the mass slaughter of trees everyone. As Lee knows, I actually love trees. :)
Let the trees live!

message 15: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Terri wrote: "I'm only joking about the mass slaughter of trees everyone. As Lee knows, I actually love trees. :)
Let the trees live!"

I find that hilarious that you felt the need to explain yourself. I think everyone in this groups is fairly intelligent and realises we're not proposing the concreting of all remaining natural habitats.

message 16: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments You never know. Some people can be a bit obscure. ;)

message 17: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (CaveatLector) If you loved trees so much wouldn't you switch to e-readers and stop with the dead tree books?? I mean if you really loved them...... :)
Cause every time you buy a book, you kill a tree!

I think you really meant that 'kill the trees' and the rest is just a cover up.........lol

message 18: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Jan 25, 2012 01:31PM) (new)

Terri | 17036 comments Oh my dear, don't make me go environmentalist on you. Everyone will think I'm a hippy.
Most publishers use sustainable forests these days. Some even use recycled paper and I have a few new hardbacks bought last year that use this secondary source.
eReaders are like electric cars, you are still ripping coal out of the earth and filling the atmosphere with filthy pollutants to power them. And that is not to mention the processes involved in making the things and then their end of life footprint. :)

Paper sourced from timber sourced from sustainable plantations, those dead trees are not fly by night. They stick around in their new form for a very long time and their end of life footprint is negligible and actually benefits the planet.
Of course, then there is the beneficial carbon sink that these plantations represent....

Down with coal! Booooooo..:\

You think I'm a hippy now don't you?

message 19: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (CaveatLector) Of course. :D

But I agree with everything you wrote so I can't condemn you for your opinions.
I am from BC and this is the land of hippies and environmentalists. I even live not far from several of those sustainable forests you're talking about. Though I will say that the majority of BC electrical, is powered by hydro and not coal, we are hippies after all!

message 20: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments Well done BC. :) Yes, we have our fair share of hippies and environmentalists around here too. When the country is rich in soil and nature it generally becomes rich in hippies too. :)

That is impressive that the majority of your power is hydro. What percentage is coal fired do you think? And where do you get it? Alaska? Or is that oil?

message 21: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Jan 25, 2012 01:34PM) (new)

Terri | 17036 comments Actually, I might get you answer over in the random thread if I may....:)..if that is okay..I am really interested to know and I can see us having a few posts on this.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

message 22: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Jan 29, 2012 06:29PM) (new)

Terri | 17036 comments Crowbone by Robert Low is now finally showing up in bookstores' online catalogues. It was only showing up on Amazon before.

I was pleased to see that for us in Oz, it is showing September 2012, as opposed to the more frightening date of March 2014 that was up on the publishers website.

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael Jecks (MichaelJecks) | 97 comments Terri wrote: "Crowbone by Robert Low is now finally showing up in bookstores' online catalogues. It was only showing up on Amazon before.

I was pleased to see that for us in Oz, ..."

Never trust the publishers' sites, Terri. They're the last to update, check and proof their own data! Mind you, can I add comment that my own next book is out in May?

message 24: by Lee (new)

Lee Broderick | 482 comments Michael wrote: "Terri wrote: "Crowbone by Robert Low is now finally showing up in bookstores' online catalogues. It was only showing up on Amazon before.

I was pleased to see that ..."

Congratulations Michael, just tidying up the last bits now? By the way, you might be interested to know that The Last Templar was featured in 100 Must-Read Historical Novels in the "reading on a theme: Mediaeval" list.

message 25: by J.R. (last edited Mar 31, 2012 03:37PM) (new)

J.R. Tomlin (JRTomlin) I wanted to let everyone know, since it has been discussed here, that my sequel to A Kingdom's Cost came out yesterday for Kindle. In about a week, it will also be available in paperback.

I've added Countenance of War but it still doesn't come up yet on a Goodreads search so meantime you can find it here. http://www.amazon.com/Countenance-of-...

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I 'looked inside' - beautiful account of a battle. Now if I only had an ereader... Hm.

Well done!

message 27: by J.R. (last edited Mar 31, 2012 06:53PM) (new)

J.R. Tomlin (JRTomlin) Diana wrote: "I 'looked inside' - beautiful account of a battle. Now if I only had an ereader... Hm.

Well done!"

Thanks!

Did you know that you can get Kindle for PC, for Mac and for iPhone free? However, if you don't like doing that it will be out in paperback in a few days. :)

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

J.R. wrote: "Diana wrote: "Did you know that you can get Kindle for PC, for Mac and for iPhone fr..."

Actually, I did. Very tempting, the thought of not having to pack seven or eight huge volumes to safeguard me from the horror of not having enough to read. And free (the software), no less...

Tempting.

And that was very well written! (good cover image, too...)

message 29: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Tomlin (JRTomlin) Thank you! :)

message 30: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Tomlin (JRTomlin) Ireney wrote: "J.R. wrote: "I've added Countenance of War but it still doesn't come up yet on a Goodreads search so meantime you can find it here. http://www.amazon.com/Countenance-of-..."

I..."
I'm not sure what the problem is. I'll try to look into it.

message 31: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Tomlin (JRTomlin) Ireney wrote: "I can add it for you, if you wish. As a GR librarian, I have that ability with the powers vested in me >8)

ib."
I'd appreciate it. I'm a librarian as well but I do so little with my "librarianship" that when I run into problems, it isn't much help. :)

message 32: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Tomlin (JRTomlin) Ireney wrote: "Here you go. I also linked it with the Douglas trilogy, so it will appear as the second book in the series. You may want to edit some of the details, such us publish date for instance.

If you hav..."

Thanks!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Freya 800 AD by Jean Mead

I am the author of Freya 800 AD published 26th April 2012. This is the story of a woman living more than a thousand years ago at the beginning of the Viking raids on Britain.
There's a Goodreads Give-Away ending 11th May.

Freya 800 AD is my 5th novel. Previous books are The Widow Makers and The Widow Makers:Strife based in the Victorian era.

I am completing the 3rd book in the Victorian trilogy before embarking on another book based in the Dark Ages. Freya 800 AD by Jean Mead

message 34: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (CaveatLector) Jean, you may want to post about your books in our supporting authors threads too. http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_...

It's defintely the place you should mention the give-away, we don't want anyone interested to miss out. :)

message 35: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments Hi Jean.
Yes, as dawn says, please mention your giveaway in the FREEBIE thread. And if you ever want to make the ebook free on Amazon or Goodreads keep that thread in mind too. :)

This era is my favourite era, so I will add your book to the old tbr pile. :)

message 36: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments I see the giveaway is only Great Britain though. That is a shame. :(

message 37: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (CaveatLector) Terri wrote: "I see the giveaway is only Great Britain though. That is a shame. :("

Ohh, I didn't even look, us poor colonial countries have been left out again. :(

message 38: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments Yep.
Still being punished after all these years. :(

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

In the past,The Widow Makers:Strife was available as a Give-Away in the USA the postage was astronomical and of course there was the cost of the book, as I had no feedback from American recipients I decided against doing this again with Freya 800 AD. But then again I had no feedback from British winners either. Can't win!

message 40: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments That is a shame, Jean.

Is Freya 800AD on Amazon as an ebook? In the future if you ever decide to make it available for free for a limited time let the group know. I am sure some will gladly download it and leave a review.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello Terri,

Freya 800 AD is a paperback, released 26th April 2012. Hence the cost when giving it away.

message 42: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments Hi Jean,
Many authors have the book available for purchase as well as the ebook. That's why I mentioned the ebook.
So, the offer still stands if you ever go down the eBook path. We try to offer authors a helping hand here, instead of treating them like spammers.

message 43: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments The latest, book 3, in the Manda Scott (m.c Scott) Rome series was released late March 2012.

Rome The Eagle of the Twelfth by M.C. Scott
Rome: The Eagle of the Twelfth

message 44: by [deleted user] (last edited May 06, 2012 03:18PM) (new)

Terri wrote: "I see the giveaway is only Great Britain though. That is a shame. :("

When I posted my giveaway, I did some math and concluded that I could afford to send copies to USA, Canada (slow, but not bad), the UK (a little more expensive, but still not bad), and Australia (postage between them and US is actually fairly reasonable). I probably won't send airmail if it is prohibitive. I will notify the winners (that aren't in my country) when the books are shipped. (We are required NOT to keep the contact information, but a quick note sent at the time of shipping should be in conformity with this requiremnt.)

Incidentally, I have an account on Amazon UK as well, and I've been posting my reviews on both sites.

since I've been blabbing about my giveaway, here's the link to it again. Canada, USA, UK, Australia...

http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho...

message 45: by Inge (new)

Inge Borg (goodreadscomInge_H_Borg) Since I only joined these interesting (and at times hilarious) discussions recently, may I add the release of my first novel on Amazon and Smashwords (which is trying to get it distributed at B&N hopefully soon):

Khamsin The Devil Wind of the Nile by Inge H. Borg
Khamsin The Devil Wind of the Nile

This 150,000-word historical novel is an engrossing saga of forbidden love, court intrigue and ferocious battles playing out in the colorful settings along the Nile during the reign of Aha, Second King of the First Dynasty of Egypt (ca 3080 B.C.).

Many compelling characters enliven KHAMSIN. The briskly-paced action evokes a tumultuous epoch. Coming alive in this multi-faceted epic are many characters ranging from fascinating to likable, from ambitious to suspicious, to plain unsavory.

The narrative is divided into five major parts, with forty-three chapters, a poignant prologue, and a thought-provoking epilogue.

Meticulous research of ancient sites and the way of life of those enigmatic Nile dwellers lends authenticity to this pre-Pyramid, pre-Pharaoh era of the Two Lands.
- - - - - - - -
At present, I am working on the modern-day sequel "Sirocco."

Inge H. Borg

message 46: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 2675 comments Cromwell's Blessing by Peter Ransley by Peter Ransley

Recently released; it is the follow up to Cromwell's Blessing. The new novel set in 1647 England and focuses and the pamphleteers reporting on Parliament; essentially the origins of the newspaper.

message 47: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments Inge H. wrote: "Since I only joined these interesting (and at times hilarious) discussions recently, may I add the release of my first novel on Amazon and Smashwords .."

Yes, you may. :)

message 48: by Tasha (last edited May 17, 2012 06:12PM) (new)

Tasha Your book sounds very interesting Inge! Good luck with it. :)

message 49: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments Yes, let us know the good news if B&N agree to distribute it. :-)
We don't have b&n over here.

message 50: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 17036 comments Yes, let us know the good news if B&N agree to distribute it. :-)
We don't have b&n over here.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hawk Quest (other topics)
A Kingdom's Cost (other topics)
Bring Up the Bodies (other topics)
Crowbone (other topics)
100 Must-read Historical Novels (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Hilary Mantel (other topics)
Robert Low (other topics)
Peter Ransley (other topics)
Harry Sidebottom (other topics)
Bernard Cornwell (other topics)
More...