Stephen King Fans discussion

Talk about the Novels > Doctor Sleep

Comments (showing 1-50 of 524) (524 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

message 1: by AJ (new)

AJ (SlowReaderLuke) | 15 comments Anyone else see that there is going to be a sequel to the shining? I saw it on the Stephen King website & i guess there is a video clip of him reading some of it from a college recently.

message 2: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (PG4003) | 31 comments He's working on a sequel to The Shining, it's called The Sleep and he did a reading from it last Friday at George Mason University's Fall for the Book Festival. I was there!! He did a great job.

message 3: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2652 comments Is it "The" Sleep or "Dr." Sleep? I thought it was Dr. Maybe that was just a rumor or working title though?

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (PG4003) | 31 comments No, you're correct, Becky, it's Dr. Sleep. Oops!

message 5: by Lena (new)

Lena Hillbrand (LenaHillbrandauthorTheSuperiors) | 91 comments Is it about Danny?

message 6: by Becky, Ka-Tet (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 2652 comments No problem! I just wanted to be sure. Things like that can change! :)

message 7: by Lou (new)

Lou (LouPendergrast) | 8 comments yes Danny I posted some info here http://more2read.com/?p=2097 from post I found earlier.

message 8: by Blythe (new)

Blythe (bms5576) Yes, he posted a service a few months ago on whether he should write Doctor Sleep or The Wind Through the Keyhole (new DT novel). Dr Sleep won, but King decided to write WTTK first anyways

message 9: by Alondra (new)

Alondra | 303 comments As long as he writes; I am okay with anything. He can write a lullaby for all I care... it would probably creep me out, but I would read it!! :D

message 10: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (PG4003) | 31 comments Alondra, I feel the same way. I'd read the phone book if he wrote it! And I feel even more passionately about his work after seeing him in person, he's such a great person.

message 11: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 561 comments I actually liked the TV version. Much more faithful to the book than the Kubrick version.

message 12: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2120 comments Stephen King reads from the book

http://www.liljas-library.com/article...

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments Alondra wrote: "As long as he writes; I am okay with anything. He can write a lullaby for all I care... it would probably creep me out, but I would read it!! :D"

Haha, this made me LOL.

message 14: by Alondra (new)

Alondra | 303 comments Kathryn wrote: "Alondra wrote: "As long as he writes; I am okay with anything. He can write a lullaby for all I care... it would probably creep me out, but I would read it!! :D"

Haha, this made me LOL."

its that dweeb thing i do ...hehehehe

message 15: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments Alondra wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Alondra wrote: "As long as he writes; I am okay with anything. He can write a lullaby for all I care... it would probably creep me out, but I would read it!! :D"

Haha, this made me..."

Hahaha, at least we're dweebs for Uncle Stevie. :)

message 16: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 927 comments You could put that on a t-shirt.

message 17: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Kyle wrote: "I've never heard of a sequel to the Shining. I know they made a t.v. version that was NOT good. I hope it's as scary and effective as the original."

I liked the TV version as well, it was more true to the book.

message 18: by Alondra (new)

Alondra | 303 comments Chris wrote: "You could put that on a t-shirt."

You are so right, and maybe start a convention of Uncle Stevie fans :)

ehhehehehe...

message 19: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 4 comments Charlene wrote: "Kyle wrote: "I've never heard of a sequel to the Shining. I know they made a t.v. version that was NOT good. I hope it's as scary and effective as the original."

I liked the TV version as well, ..."

I preferred the Tv version - hated the Kubrick movie! The TV one was much more true to the book.

message 20: by Charlene (new)

Charlene So, I guess Danny is grown up and is now a hospice worker. This seems to be all the info I could find.

message 21: by JW (new)

JW | 16 comments hmm, the Shining is one of those King books I never read due to seeing and loving the movie. It's like my favorite horror film ever. But it sounds like there wasn't as much in common with the two as I thought. Maybe will try the book after all.

message 22: by Dustin (new)

Dustin JW wrote: "hmm, the Shining is one of those King books I never read due to seeing and loving the movie. It's like my favorite horror film ever. But it sounds like there wasn't as much in common with the two a..."

Hi, JW-

You should definitely try reading The Shining!

message 23: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 293 comments I plan on re-reading The Shining before Dr. Sleep comes out, even though I rarely do re-reads. I read it when I was in high school, so a lot of the details are a bit fuzzy.

message 24: by Ljz (new)

Ljz | 7 comments This sounds awesome, but the shining is already basically a classic! I fully trust in Stephen's abilities, but I would've never thought of writing a sequel. It doesn't need one. But it should be interesting nonetheless.

message 25: by Bondama (new)

Bondama (Kerensa) | 866 comments JW, you owe it to yourself to read the book of "The Shining" It far, far outstrips either one of the movies.

message 26: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Thank you, Bondama!!

message 27: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2120 comments Here is a message from King: http://www.liljas-library.com/article...

message 28: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 293 comments If you're looking for a return to balls-to-the-wall, keep-the-lights-on horror, get ready.

Aaaah, I can't freakin wait!

message 29: by Tim (new)

Tim (Dixztim) | 43 comments The Shining was my first, and the one that hooked me immediately. That was back in 1982, and it was in the early 90's that I dedicated myself to being a "collector". From what I am gathering so far, I think of "Doctor Sleep" not as a "sequel" to "The Shining", but more of a new adventure for a familiar, and loved, character. And like you Courtney, I can't wait either...lol

message 30: by Tim (new)

Tim (Dixztim) | 43 comments Oh Yeah! I have also started re-reading it as well...my new e-book version...my how things have changed in how we read books in the last 30 years...lol

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscomBeeBeeZee) | 36 comments Alondra wrote: "As long as he writes; I am okay with anything. He can write a lullaby for all I care... it would probably creep me out, but I would read it!! :D"

Ditto

message 32: by Tom (new)

Tom Mueller | 305 comments Patricia wrote: "Alondra, I feel the same way. I'd read the phone book if he wrote it! And I feel even more passionately about his work after seeing him in person, he's such a great person."

Ditto! We saw him in Sarasota a couple years ago, during his promo tour of _Under The Dome_. As a bonus, I got a signed copy of UTD. YAYYYY

message 33: by Drew (new)

Drew | 124 comments Maggie wrote: "Charlene wrote: "Kyle wrote: "I've never heard of a sequel to the Shining. I know they made a t.v. version that was NOT good. I hope it's as scary and effective as the original."

I liked the TV ve..."

Didn't like the tv version as much as the Kubrick version even though it strays quite a bit from the book. The kid that played Danny in the tv version annoyed me so much that I found it hard to appreciate

message 34: by Joe (new)

Joe (ohjoey) | 12 comments Here's a transcript of the first few pages of Doctor Sleep. (Ms. Mod at SK.com says its definitely Doctor Sleep and not Dr. Sleep)

http://discordia19.squarespace.com/ma...

And the video I took at the George Mason Award Ceremony of King reading from Doctor Sleep.

http://discordia19.squarespace.com/ma...

message 35: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments Has Dr. Sleep been cancelled or has the release date changed? I was looking it up for my aunt on GR, and its gone. I typed it in the search, and it didn't pull up. :/

message 36: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 631 comments Wait...I found it...but for some reason, it doesn't show up when you type in the search box, "Dr. Sleep." It only shows up on my "To Read" list. It says the expected publication of it is 2013. I guess that is also why it was taken off my "Can't Wait for Books 2012." Makes sense. ;)

I'm a bit of a nerd..

message 37: by Chris , The Hardcase (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 927 comments Kathryn, see post #36 where it's been confirmed that the title is spelled "Doctor Sleep" rather than "Dr. Sleep". That should account for the search issue.

message 38: by Jane (new)

Jane (RougeAllure) | 65 comments Hi

Does anyone know when "Doctor Sleep" is out in the UK?

Cheers

message 39: by Drew (new)

Drew | 124 comments It is going to be released in 2013.

message 40: by Jane (new)

Jane (RougeAllure) | 65 comments Thanks, bit of a wait though :(

message 41: by Nick (new)

Nick Warren | 6 comments This sounds very interesting. I'll make time to visit the Shining again. Get reaquainted with young Danny.

message 42: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnaenden) | 52 comments Well it looks like I better get to that Shining book before this new one comes out.

message 43: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Owen | 104 comments So looking forward to this. I think it's going to have a different feel than the Shining. King is a much older more mature writer now. Not to mention Danny being so much older and all of the other differences.

message 44: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (manxkitti) | 45 comments Loing forward to it myself

message 45: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Owen | 104 comments Any more news about this one? I'm chomping at the bit...

message 46: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Owen | 104 comments Thank you Kyle! Much appreciated

message 47: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2120 comments We have a release date!!! http://blastr.com/2012/09/stephen-kin...

message 48: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Angie wrote: "We have a release date!!! http://blastr.com/2012/09/stephen-kin..."

All right, now I'm confused.. First they said it'd be released in January of 2013, and now it says we'll have to wait until September???

message 49: by Janie (new)

Janie Johnson Dustin wrote: "All right, now I'm confused.. First they said it'd be released in January of 2013, and now it says we'll have to wait until September???"

Yea I was a bit bummed myself. But what can ya do?! Gotta wait for something that is probably gonna blow our socks off! WOOT!

message 50: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Janie wrote: "Dustin wrote: "All right, now I'm confused.. First they said it'd be released in January of 2013, and now it says we'll have to wait until September???"

Yea I was a bit bummed myself. But what can..."

So it's true, Janie??

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Embassytown (other topics)
Doctor Sleep (other topics)
Lisey's Story (other topics)
Fifty Shades of Grey (other topics)
Firestarter (other topics)
More...