Exceptional Books discussion

Sharon's section > Best Animal Books

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sharon (SharonStar) | 48 comments Mod
Which books about animals are well written with a good story? Modern ones might include "Merle's Door" and classic ones might include "Old Yeller", "Black Beauty" or "Bambi".

Karen | 42 comments Tarka, the Otter, by Henry Williamson; The Peregrine, by J.A. Baker; The Red Snow, by James Greiner.

Sergio (ailuraismo) | 18 comments Mod
Watership Down by Richard Adams, Felidae By Akif Pirinçci

Thanks Karen and Sergio.

Hermione (hermione315) | 68 comments Mod
And great suggestion with "Watership Down" -- definitely one of the best :)

Lot of good ones, Hermione. I would add for consideration, "The Art of Racing in the Rain", "Making Rounds With Oscar", and "Amazing Gracie". When we get a longer list, we'll vote. Remember we're looking for exceptional books -- well written with a great story line.

Elaine Musgrave | 1 comments The Art of Racing in the Rain (wonderful book), Last Dog on the Hill, Oogy, Only One Woof... all great dog books!
If you are looking for more of a Watership Down type book, I really liked The Dunn Cow (by Walt Wangarin, a Christian author), and The Warrior series (Lots of books) is like Watership Down but with cats instead of rabbits.

Dani | 16 comments The Black Stallion
Shiloh
White Fang
The Story of Doctor Dolittle

I haven't read any animal books in years so these are quite dated and for younger readers. I don't think any of these are mentioned yet.

Hermione (hermione315) | 68 comments Mod
ooooh, of COURSE Dr. Dolittle!!! Such a classic :)

We can divide the animals section into subcategories such as dogs, cats, horses, birds and more. Suggestions? Do we need a farm animal category? For wild animals, what divisions work best?

message 12: by Elizabeth (last edited Oct 12, 2011 01:53AM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 6 comments The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings I have read The Yearling at least 4 times over the years.

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 6 comments Sharon what a tough question! What about classics, your idea of subcategories, inspirational, and newer animals books ( Marley and so forth).

Good thoughts, Elizabeth. The more ideas we get will help us figure out the best way to categorize. We can add categories as needed along the way, too. I haven't read The Yearling since I was a kid but I still remember how I enjoyed it.

Heather Doherty | 47 comments Mod
I'm a big fan of Jon Katz. He was a journalist for many years and now he writes memoirs about his experiences with dogs (and other animals). I particularly enjoyed The Dogs of Bedlam Farm: An Adventure with Sixteen Sheep, Three Dogs, Two Donkeys, and Me. I was blown away by Dog Boy and recommend The Story of Edgar Sawtelle as well.

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 6 comments The Story of Edgar Sawtelle was superb.

Heather Doherty | 47 comments Mod
Sharon wrote: "Lot of good ones, Hermione. I would add for consideration, "The Art of Racing in the Rain", "Making Rounds With Oscar", and "Amazing Gracie". When we get a longer list, we'll vote. Remember we'r..."

Thanks a lot Sharon. I had a sample of The Art of Racing in the Rain on my kindle and after seeing your nomination I read it and bought the book. I read it in a single day and now I have a pile of soggy Kleenex I would like to give you. Seriously though, it was excellent and I appreciate the recommendation.

Laughing here. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

John I'll throw in Homer's Odyssey

John, I have that book sitting right here, in line to read soon. I'm glad you liked it enough to nominate it.

Bobby (bobbej) | 47 comments Absolutely "Art of Racing in the Rain". I read "Old Yeller" to my kids!! Won't make that mistake again. (still a great story). And "All Things Bright and Beautiful" series by James Herriot.

Tami Hillman | 12 comments I loved The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein! I just read it last month.

Tami, have you read Merle's Door as well? You'd enjoy it if you liked Racing in the Rain.