Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Questions > 1-star drive-by reviewer

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charming (new)

Charming (charming_euphemism) | 11 comments An author asked me about a person who left a one-star review on her book that has not yet been released. I visited the reviewer's profile and she has 4775 reviews with a 1.12 star average - it is pretty clear these are not genuine reviews. Is there anything I can or should do?

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 6765 comments Best to email support@goodreads.com

It is unlikely that they will do anything since people are entitled to apply stars how they like and there is no policy against rating books yet to be published for a number of reasons.

message 3: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Hodson (Shieldon) | 11 comments There should be a policy where books that are as yet unreleased cannot be rated. There are people out there who live and have profiles here solely to drag down ratings and authors. Considering that ratings have such a big effect on readership here, I really think that something should be done.

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (weareattached) | 40 comments Nathan wrote: "There should be a policy where books that are as yet unreleased cannot be rated. There are people out there who live and have profiles here solely to drag down ratings and authors. Considering that..."

There are a lot of book bloggers, librarians and others who do read books before they have been released. Also sometimes books are released in different countries at different times. Not allowing reviews to be put up before the book release would prohibit everyone who has read the book early from adding their reviews. Also the same thing could happen even after a book is published.

message 5: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Hodson (Shieldon) | 11 comments OK.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 2860 comments Funny. I've seen the same complaint about awarding only 5-star ratings.

Let freedom reign!

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 28572 comments Mod
This sort of discussion belongs in the Feedback group. Ratings are outside of Librarian control.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread