Angels & Demons  (Robert Langdon, #1) Angels & Demons discussion

Comparison to Dan Brown's Other Novels

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dick Peterson I think Angels and Demons is the best of the bunch, followed by The Da Vinci Code. The Lost Symbol comes in a distant third in the Langdon series. The research for all three is impressive and a major contribution to the stories. He interspersed wonderful embellishments and plot in Demons and Code. As fascinating as all of the Freemasonry was in Symbol, the supporting embellishments and plot were weak. I'm hoping Brown will find bring us a fully fleshed out read with his next offering.

Marcellinus Vitus yeah... I think so..

Maliha baluch i think my favorite is davinci code. then angels and demon , the lost symbol (excluding the ending ) and THEN deception point. i loved the lost symbol but the ending was just not worth the story leading up to it =/

Maliha baluch the story itself was awsome. the ending was too abrupt and just not good

Emily (Falling for YA) I personally like The Da Vinci Code the best, Angels and Demons had more murder and gruesome deaths that at times I found hard to stomach. I think Lost Symbol was the worst of the bunch the plot was sub-par and the ending left a LOT to be desired. I feel like because of the last book I need a little break from Robert Langdon for a while.

Maliha baluch lol i totaly agree =p i think ill read the digital fortress after a while =p =p

Sheri Maliha wrote: "i think my favorite is davinci code. then angels and demon , the lost symbol (excluding the ending ) and THEN deception point. i loved the lost symbol but the ending was just not worth the story le..."
totally agree

Sheri Emily wrote: "I personally like The Da Vinci Code the best, Angels and Demons had more murder and gruesome deaths that at times I found hard to stomach. I think Lost Symbol was the worst of the bunch the plot wa..."

the end was not worth the journey in Lost symbol sad as it was.

Maliha baluch if we ignore the ending , it wasnt that bad =p

Ankita Gour Why has everyone forgotten 'Digital Fortress'.. it was also good.. better than deception point anyways.. my favorite was 'Da Vinci Code'

Krissy I really loved Angels and Demons, it was definitely his best book, Lost Symbol was great in my opinion too. I did not care for DaVinci Code too much. I thought Digital Fortress was great, but Deception Point was definitely lacking.

Sabine Reed I think the only one of his books which was a bit of a let down was The Lost Symbol. It was marginally inferior to the others...but a good story nonetheless. I loved the rest of them.

Emily I actually really liked Deception Point, only because it was fun. I didn't take much of the premise of the book seriously, so that's why I enjoyed it-- I just like the adventure aspect of it. I liked Digital Fortress because I had lived in Seville, where it took place and I was able to picture all the locations. Angels and Demons is by far my favorite--excellent plot, rich in architecture and history. I didn't want it to end but couldn't stop reading.

Jason Lilly Definitely the best. Also, it felt like Brown was trying less to force the book to be controversial and simply allowed the story to affect readers however it may.

message 15: by Agus (new) - rated it 5 stars

Agus Dick wrote: "I think Angels and Demons is the best of the bunch, followed by The Da Vinci Code. The Lost Symbol comes in a distant third in the Langdon series. The research for all three is impressive and a m..."

Totally Agree. The weakness of The Lost Symbols is the storyline, I guess. It's worst compare to Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code.

Bukky My best pick of the langdon series is Angels and Demons.The adventure was really thrilling and the storyline was great,followed by the Da Vinci Code,while the lost symbol comes a distant last.

Digital fortress is also a big favorite.

Danica Maliha wrote: "the story itself was awsome. the ending was too abrupt and just not good"

Seriously. Talk about a lame deus ex machina with the helicopter shatering the glass all over Mal'ak (sp?).

And the Bible stuff was kinda weird and...eeehhh

Julie Dick wrote: "I think Angels and Demons is the best of the bunch, followed by The Da Vinci Code. The Lost Symbol comes in a distant third in the Langdon series. The research for all three is impressive and a m..."

Julie really, I haven't read the 3rd but I found him to be working from a formula, way to silly for my taste

Graham King I read The Da Vinci Code and enjoyed it at the time, but I've failed to finish another Dan Brown book since. I've attempted and given up on both Deception Point and Angels & Demons. The latter, I actually got within about 50 pages of finishing it but it was just getting too ridiculous to be credible in any way.

I completely agree with Julie, he's the classic example of a formulaic author and a real one trick pony. Once you've read one, you needn't read any more - he pretty much just changes the setting and character names each. A bit like James Patterson but lazier in the number he writes...

message 21: by Kerri (new) - added it

Kerri I haven't read The Lost Symbol or Deception Point, but do you think that the reason why The Lost Symbol wasn't as good as the others was a pushed deadline where he had to rush to get it printed? Creativity takes time, and a lot of good books/series that started out great and then fizzled out at the end because of publishing pressure.

I don't know, it does seem like when I found out about The Lost Symbol that it took 2 years before it was actually published. For a book of that depth (length and research) it doesn't seem long enough.

Roxanne Bland Based on the two that I've read, I think Angels & Demons is defintely better than Da Vinci Code. I haven't read Deception Point, but based on what I see here, I think I'll just skip over The Lost Symbol.

message 23: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Kerri wrote: "I haven't read The Lost Symbol or Deception Point, but do you think that the reason why The Lost Symbol wasn't as good as the others was a pushed deadline where he had to rush to get it printed? Cr..."

I agree on that point. Authors are under contract and pushed to produce, like any other profession, and the work may suffer. That's why I don't read any author's books too close together, to give myself time to forget a little what the last one was like, and to avoid burnout.

Graham King Just to play devil's advocate... regarding the point about him rushing to a deadline for The Lost Symbol, don't forget that there was actually a 6 year gap between The Da Vinci Code and The Lost Symbol:

Digital Fortress, 1998
Angels & Demons, 2000
Deception Point, 2001
The Da Vinci Code, 2003
The Lost Symbol, 2009

That's twice the time between A&D and Da Vinci, and 3 times as long as he'd gone between releasing books previously...

Nichole Mosley The DaVinci Code really kept my interest, I had it read in 3 days. Angels and Demons started off a little slow and I found it hard to stay interested, but by the third chapter I couldn't put it down. I bought The Lost Symbol a couple years ago and I started to read it but lost interest. I will finish it someday but I found something more interesting for now.

Madikeri Abu I will give a 5* to Da Vinci Code and 4* to Angels and demons. The Da Vinci Code is and will remain the master piece of Dan Brown.

message 27: by Juhi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Juhi Deception point is the best of the whole lot with a perfect 10. Angels and Daemons come pretty close with a 9.8

Debbie Generally my rule of thumb is if I start a book, I have to finish it before moving on to the next book on my reading list. Angels & Demons was the only time I ever made an exception to that rule. I simply could not finish it. It was that bad. I would not recommend that book under any circumstances. Sorry!

Martin For me Deception Point is still best of them, then Angels and Deamons...

message 30: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea Reid From what I can recall 'Deception Point' and 'Angels & Demons' were the best fictional reads but surely no one can deny the relevance of what 'food for thought' Dan Brown plants into every story he has written. He covers a vast amount of ground on relevant issues of the day and yet readers do seem to pass over them?

Pickle Da Vinci was good

Deception Point ok

Angels and Demons far too far fetched for me

The Lost Symbol i found impossible to read due to a new chapter being started every 1-2 pages, even when there no reason for a new chapter we had one.

Srinivas Iyer Da Vinci was the best with Angels and Demons a close second. Deception Point was just average in my opinion. Similarly, Inferno also fell short of my expectations.

message 33: by TJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

TJ Amberson Da Vinci Code was great. The concept was new and innovative, and was coupled with excellent research and exciting writing. It's no surprise why it took the reading world by storm. And while the novelty and glamor of Dan Brown's works have cooled over the years, he still puts out good stories. I think I liked Angels and Demons best.

message 34: by Chris (last edited Jul 19, 2013 02:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris Bumpas Angels & Demons was not that good. I really liked Da Vinci Code but I read it at least 5 years ago so I'm not sure I would now.
I won't read another Dan Brown novel. Much better out there.

Sabina Personally I liked Angels and Demons best, then the Da Vinci Code. They were both great. While I was reading the Lost Symbol I was quite into the book but the ending was too dissapointing as most of us agree. Currently I'm reading Deception Point and I'm still not sure what to think of it. Compared to the Langdon series I find myself less interested in it. Though I might change my mind after I finish it.

Rosie Gomez Out of all of Dan Brown's novels my favorite is Angels and Demons. The Da Vinci Code was good too. Inferno a disappointment though. Not his best work.

Cindy Wright I think that the Symbol was the worst one. I think that Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons were excellant.

Kristen Elise It seems like most people agree that A&D and DVC are the top two, and TLS fell a bit flat. I'm curious: of those who preferred one or the other, which did you read first? I preferred A&D over DVC but I think that's partly because I read it first. Since the two were so similar to each other, when I read DVC it was a little bit underwhelming.

Did anyone read either Angels and Demons or Da Vinci Code SECOND and still prefer it?

Christina Teilmann Kristen wrote: "It seems like most people agree that A&D and DVC are the top two, and TLS fell a bit flat. I'm curious: of those who preferred one or the other, which did you read first? I preferred A&D over DVC b..."

I read The Da Vinci Code first, and Angels & Demons second, and while I think both books are pretty great, I thought Angels & Demons were a little bit better.

Kristen Elise Christina wrote: "Kristen wrote: "It seems like most people agree that A&D and DVC are the top two, and TLS fell a bit flat. I'm curious: of those who preferred one or the other, which did you read first? I preferre..."

Interesting...so it's not just my order of reading them. It really is better! LOL (totally kidding, for those who said the opposite)

KryZad The Last Knight Templar The Da Vinci Code of course......... The Lost Symbol was very intriguing with Masonic stuff and all but after Mal'akh is killed and the Laus Deo is found the formulatic scientific explanations by Katherine just bore the hell out of me and seriously, whats the WORD?

KryZad The Last Knight Templar The Da Vinci Code is a perfect 10 for me, while The Lost Symbol is just a 9.1 cos it was nice, beautiful facts, a bit boring and bullshit ending....

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Angels & Demons (other topics)