Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > Stolen Kindle

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathalia (last edited Sep 20, 2011 04:16PM) (new)

Nathalia (nenni) | 19 comments I have a quick question regarding my stolen Kindle and I really hope someone here can help me out. My Kindle was stolen today while I quickly stepped out of class to speak with my professor. Unfortunately, I have no idea who took it since I only realized its absence when the rest of the class left. I went on Amazon's FAQ and the company said to de-register my account in case someone attempts to purchase any books. I followed the instructions exactly, however i'm left wondering whether or not the person who stole it can now use my Kindle by using their own email. Is this possible?

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (Nicholebookaholic) yes, they can register the kindle under their own e-mail....you might try contacting Kindle Customer Service (I would suggest calling instead of e-mail) and find out if they can track if it has been registered under a new name by the serial number.... I don't know if you can get it back that way or not but its worth a try

message 3: by Nathalia (new)

Nathalia (nenni) | 19 comments I contacted Amazon after reading your comment and they placed my Kindle on a "Stolen Kindle" list. What that basically means is that if someone tries to register their account to my Kindle now, they won't be able to since my Kindle will be completely locked up. Thank you so much.

message 4: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Nathalia, I am so sorry your Kindle was stolen! My gosh! One of my earliest memories of "manners", was DO NOT TOUCH SOMETHING WHICH DOES NOT BELONG TO YOU!" Will Amazon replace it for you?? I just can't believe people! It irks me to no end when someone steals something another person has worked hard for to obtain legitimately or received as a gift, etc. I hope things work out for you. Ok, I'm climbing down from my soapbox now....
Again, I am so sorry to hear about your loss & I hope when the thieving person turns it on, it breaks!!

message 5: by Nathalia (last edited Sep 21, 2011 04:52AM) (new)

Nathalia (nenni) | 19 comments Ginger wrote: "Nathalia, I am so sorry your Kindle was stolen! My gosh! One of my earliest memories of "manners", was DO NOT TOUCH SOMETHING WHICH DOES NOT BELONG TO YOU!" Will Amazon replace it for you?? I just ..."

I tend to easily trust people so it's really my fault for assuming everyone in my class were raised with manners, even if I only stepped out for 5 minutes. It really hurts to believe that someone just decided to steal something they know means a lot to me since i'm always on it. I'm just hoping the person who stole it ends up having one helluva guilty conscience and decides to give it back. Sadly Amazon won't send another one since I really can't prove that it was indeed stolen and i'm not just doing this to win a free one. :/

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 355 comments can you talk to your prof and ask him/her to say something maybe? I don't know the size of the class this was - from the sounds of it, it was a lecture hall type scenario...

message 7: by Weenie (new)

Weenie | 55 comments Firstly, sorry to hear about the theft :(

Secondly, sometimes, your home insurance will cover for items that are stolen/lost outside of the home. Perhaps check your policy.

Thirdly, when people have their mobile phones stolen, they are encouraged to report the theft to the police. I know they're unlikely to be able to do anything but if, as per my second point, your theft is covered by your insurance, then you will need some police report number or something.

Finally, stolen while you were in class, so I'm guessing school/college/university? Report it, post it on notice boards etc. Warn other people there are dirty thieves about.

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Rozzlynn (TracyRozzlynn) | 12 comments You can always try making an announcement to the class, or have the professor make an announcement. Mention the fact that the kindle is now on Amazon's stolen list. Then give the thief an opportunity to return it anonymously - drop in the professor’s mail slot or something. Hopefully either fear or guilt will make them return it. At the very least it will alert the rest of the class to look out for someone with sticky fingers.

Good Luck.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (Nicholebookaholic) Nathalia I hope you are able to get the kindle back...sorry it was stolen...

message 10: by Helen (new)

Helen Oh no, how awful. You must report it to the police, I would also get the lecturor to say something.

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleylaura87) | 89 comments I agree. Get the teacher to announce something as a "warning" and I would also ditto Tracy's recommendation and say it was reported to amazon as a stolen device. It may scare the person enough that they'd anonymously give it back or turn it in somewhere.

message 12: by Nathalia (new)

Nathalia (nenni) | 19 comments I took all your comments into consideration and I spoke before my class a few minutes ago. The whole "it's on the stolen list" scared the culprit enough to return my Kindle when I stepped outside the classroom again. I guess they got frustrated since they couldn't do anything with it once Amazon shut it down. Regardless of his or her reason to return it, i'm extremely relieved and very glad to have it back.

Thanks again everyone, you're all sweethearts.

message 13: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (Clare-Dragonfly) That's great that you got it back! How frustrating that must have been.

message 14: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Oh sweetie! I am so happy for you!!!! I can only imagine the anger, disappointment, etc you must have experienced. I, too would have been devastated! I am so glad you got it back!

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (Nicholebookaholic) Glad you got it back!

message 16: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 93 comments Congrats on getting it back! Well done!

message 17: by Weenie (new)

Weenie | 55 comments Bad experience, but good result in the end!

message 18: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 9 comments Wow, it's nice to have a happy ending in something like this. Congrats!!! Nice to know Amazon has a "Stolen Kindle List." Thanks for the lesson in that.

message 19: by Helen (new)

Helen Brilliant, that's great. Assume Amazon can undo the list thing. Now enjoy your course but keep everything with you.

message 20: by Ginger (new)

Ginger Theresa wrote: "Wow, it's nice to have a happy ending in something like this. Congrats!!! Nice to know Amazon has a "Stolen Kindle List." Thanks for the lesson in that."

I agree, Theresa! But ya know what?? It's a shame they have that list...goes back to basic manners...Keep your hands to yourself & off of what doesn't belong to you! :)

message 21: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 9 comments Very true Ginger, it is a shame.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Sorry your Kindle was stolen. That's awful! I hope you find it/get it back soon!

message 23: by Fabián (new)

Fabián A. (fabian5003) | 5 comments OMG I'm glad it ended up OK.

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashleylaura87) | 89 comments So glad to hear you got it back!

message 25: by Sinuhe (new)

Sinuhe Tellez (dubyte) | 21 comments Wow What a interesting news a stolen list!. Its good to know its like a extra feature That I didnt know. I am a bif fan of kindles and I recomend it to everyone has 5 minutes to hear me.

And I am curious the kindle was lockup when its was returned?
You call amazon and it can des lock up?

Or what happen if you recover your kindle but its already lockup?

I am glad to know that your kindle is back. !

message 26: by Nathalia (last edited Nov 20, 2011 08:03PM) (new)

Nathalia (nenni) | 19 comments Thanks for all your support. <3 Sinuhe, Amazon "freezes" your account so that the person who stole your Kindle won't be able to purchase any more books via your credit card. What I later found out however, is that the user is still able to register their account name onto your Kindle and take control. Amazon support explained things to me a little differently the 3rd time I called them (I forgot to update this post with a warning.) At first they told me that no one would be able to use my Kindle but what I later found out was that it's quite the opposite. Still though, I believe it's much better to protect your bank account than fuss over a replaceable Kindle. Hoped that helped!

message 27: by Sinuhe (new)

Sinuhe Tellez (dubyte) | 21 comments Thanks :)

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 109 comments I ordered a Fire and had it sent as a gift because I was worried about someone stealing it from my porch and buying things with it. I am glad to hear they protected you from those charges and that you got it back! :) Always be careful with your electronics everyone. You never know who you can really trust. I would be so sad and hurt if someone stole something that meant so much to me.

message 29: by Charlene (new)

Charlene | 59 comments I am so sorry someone stole the Kindle. I hope getting Amazon to declassify the device won't be a hassle. I had a scare at the gym. I laid my Kindle on the couch next to me while I was cooling down watching tv for a few minutes. I got up and walked away. Later I was at my locker and realized I didnt have the Kindle. I panicked and rushed back to the area. The Kindle was there undisturbed. There are bad apples everywhere but I want to continue to believe in the goodness of society. Of course this sometimes means not watching the news.

unread topics | mark unread