Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen: How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job, and Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living Julie and Julia discussion

im inspired!

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susana truly.
why are we not proposing such impossible projects ourselves?!

Kmarie Susana wrote: "truly.
why are we not proposing such impossible projects ourselves?!"

Yes, Susana! I completely agree. Wouldn't it feel great to accomplish something so difficult?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

:) Who says we are not? I loved that book and loved the movie. Got inspired and annoyed with her too. On the whole loved this book. Glad to see others liked it as well.

Stephanie Wolf Thought it was a good read. I have always loved Julia Child and to see someone spend 1 year of her life trying to learn from her, no matter how difficult some things were.

Roxanne I so wanted to love this book, but the authors need to prove her cool with her over use of f--k really turned me off, totally. There are so many other books about Julia Child that inspire you to enjoy...

message 6: by Natalie (new)

Natalie i haven't read the book but i loved the movie. Meryl Streep is one of my favorite actresses. She can pretty much step into any role and rock it!
I thought it was sad how Julie was just trying to honor Julia and she was so old and took it as disrespect.

Shelby This book was absolutely amazing. I wanted to read the book before the movie came out, so I did and just loved it! I love to cook and so I could really relate to some things in the book. This is one of those books that had a movie that was good too! However, if people have problems with the language in the book, then don't read books aimed for adults to read. If you can not handle the "f-word" then go back to reading Junie B. Jones. But don't give a book bad feedback over the use of language, that is just dumb and unnecessary.

Robin The book was good, and to undertake what the author did and do a Julia child meal for 365 days, it was daunting of her, but it was fun to see someone who would take on that challenge. The movie is funny, I won't give away any of the scenes. Meryl Streep was good as Julia in it. I can see where the language was off-putting, I have tried to read the authors other works, and it doesn't hold the same magic as this book did.

message 9: by Roxie (last edited Jun 25, 2011 09:28PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Roxie Shelby wrote: "This book was absolutely amazing. I wanted to read the book before the movie came out, so I did and just loved it! I love to cook and so I could really relate to some things in the book. This is on..."

HAAAAA use of language is what writing and reading books is all about... it's not that I couldn't "handle it," it's that I didn't like it...hence my opinion, which is all a discussion like this is about... everyone's opinions

Robin pretty much, but in Jane Austen's day she did not have to resort to that type of language.

Roxanne Robin wrote: "pretty much, but in Jane Austen's day she did not have to resort to that type of language."

most authors need not resort to it to make their writing shine

Robin I guess they feel they are catering to a younger audience who wants the spice of the language put in. I don't care for that either.

message 13: by Bj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bj Travis Thomas I thought this was a fun fun book.

Brigid Chapin I loved this book- it's basically the one I reread because I know it will make me smile. I've had problems giving it to other people, though, because Julie isn't always the nicest person.

On the subject of the language- considering that this was a memoir, and not a work of fiction, it would have been foolish trying to cater to a 'younger audience' than adult and young adult, as that was the age at which Julie Powell wrote the book.

Also, being a memoir, this book is about Julie- she talks about herself at the beginning at admits fairly early on that she swears like a sailor, so I honestly and thoroughly got the impression that the book was written in exactly the manner in which Julie talks. To me, this gave the book a lot more feeling and personality than if she had censored herself.

Quite frankly, when you're writing about a humongous cooking project in which you succeeded and for which you were offered a book deal and made rich, you don't really need swears to help you 'look cool.' She used them because she liked them, guys.

Robin Yes, nothing wrong with that. I am known to swear a time or two myself. It is an outlet.

Phyllis I actually followed the original blog. Loved the movie and MS but the language of the book turned me off.

message 17: by Soad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soad loved the book didnt care about the language thing becuz thats just her

Pippin I abandoned this book because it was so crude. Julie was not endearing to me - maybe she's cute to a NY croud, but i found her to be whiney and annoying. I think Nora Ephron adapted her character into a softer, more adorable, more vulnerable person in order for movie audiences to care about this person. Sorry Julie, I prefer Julia.

Lorraine After seeing the movie, I read the book. She had an interesting year. I was particularly interested in the power outage that shut down all transportation in NY, so she had to take the ferry home. I didn't like Julie's treatment of her husband - I believe her marriage is now over. By the end of the book, I didn't like Julie much at all and had no problem giving the book away.

Another "challenge" book is The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A.J. Jacobs, where the author decides to read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica. He takes each large and heavy volume with him as he travels, goes to the dentist, goes on a picnic, visits family, etc. It's funny and interesting and not at all mean-spirited.

message 20: by Lucia (last edited Sep 11, 2011 12:33PM) (new) - added it

Lucia Gannon I loved this book and as a result of reading it our book club decided to under-take a similar challenge. We decided to cook everything in Nigella Lawson's "Kitchen" cookbook. The sleeve says it has 190 recipes but I have gone through it and counted 214 if you count the cocktails and the "left over recipes".
It is not anything as difficult as the Julie Project but for someone who is not a foodie but likes to cook it was a stimulating and exciting challenge.
We also blogged our progress which was challenging in it's own right!
We lost and gained a few (people, I mean-but also a few pounds here and there!) along the way. It has been great fun and provided huge learning opportunites. My kitchen is full of ingredients I did not know existed less than a year ago and my enjoyment of cooking and food has increased enormously.
I still have some recipes to do but should not have any trouble completing it, although I am not looking forward to the bone marrow dish.
I don't think it will attract a book or movie deal!
I have great admiration for Julie Powell, who was not afraid to take on the challenge and share her struggles with the public.
I personally think she was trying to put some order on the chaos that existed for her in New York after 9/11 as there are lots of references to 9/11 even though none of them directly address the fear and apprehension that must have been all-pervasive at the time.
I think she succeeded in doing this and I loved Meryl Streep in the movie.

We started in January and the first of the group has just completed the project.

message 21: by Maria (new) - added it

Maria Goodin The film was on TV the other week and I actually sat down to watch it, which is the first time I have watched a film in ages. I was completely fascinated and glued to the screen. Meryl Streep was just amazing. I was going to get the book, and would still quite like to read it, but I have been surprised to hear about the language and the offense it has caused some people. I, too, am not a massive fan of swearing throughout books, so I'm not sure it's going to be my type of thing. Obviously her character was made much more 'viewer-friendly' for the film.

Linda Torres I was disappointed with this book, but loved the movie. The book just doesn't have much depth. I love Julia Child and I love Paris so I thought this was a no-brainer. Didn't work well for me.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen: How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job, and Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living (other topics)
The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World (other topics)