Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Group Reads > Wuthering Heights

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye (last edited Oct 29, 2011 05:30PM) (new)

Faye | 668 comments Mod
The classic Wuthering Heights is high on the BBC's must read books, list, one of Bella's favourites and listed as a favourite romance on our "Love the Love" thread in this group - yet it's not some people's cup off tea at all, apparently. I've had it on my shelf for a few years going no where, but I'm going to pull it down and give a try.

Anyone want to join me? I'll ask questions and post my thoughts. Here's my reading schedule:

Week of Sept 25 - Chapters 1-8
Week of Oct 2 - Chapters 9 - 17
Week of Oct 9 - Chapters 18- 26
Week of Oct 16 - Chapters 27 - 34

ETA - this schedule is completely blown!

Paula (PaulaY) | 198 comments I'll read it! This was my sister's favorite book. She died this past June and I'll read it in memory of her. So for Justina -

Donna | 1166 comments Have fun, just understand going in THIS IS NOT A ROMANCE!! I don't know why people keep classifying it as one. I realize there doesn't have to be a HEA to be romantic, and that in classic literary terms romance is not defined as the narrow category that contemporary readers give it, but still not a romantic story by any definition except the vast scope of the moors they're set in. Wow, quite the run on sentence there.

Ivy Sarah Moe | 42 comments I read it this past summer. I guess I can see how it would be romance, I hear a lot of people loving it because they consider it brave to write a book about obsession. I do not feel this is brave. I also do not find it romantic. Of course Bella Swan loves it, her love story is one of unhealthy obsession and abuse as well.

Faye | 668 comments Mod
So I'm enjoying the turns of phrases, gloomy and mysterious setting and the 2 narrators' delivery unfolding of the story so far. I must admit, I'm having a tough time keeping all the characters straight and I'm totally skipping over anything the servants say that is written phonetically - it's just too big a pain.

One book club question list asks "Many of the names in Wuthering Heights are strikingly similar. For example, besides the two Catherines, there are a number of Lintons, Earnshaws, and Heathcliffs whose names vary only slightly. What role do specific names play in Wuthering Heights?

Can anyone answer this? I thought it was just to confuse the reader, but I'm guessing maybe that's not the case if this is a book club question!

Paula (PaulaY) | 198 comments Faye wrote: "So I'm enjoying the turns of phrases, gloomy and mysterious setting and the 2 narrators' delivery unfolding of the story so far. I must admit, I'm having a tough time keeping all the characters st..."

The names, I think, are deliberate 'doubling' which shows various other parts of the characters personalities, etc. which will show up later in the book. and it is SOOOOOOOOO confusing to me too.

Faye | 668 comments Mod
Eep! I'm behind on my reading schedule. How are you doing, Paula? Is anyone else reading along with us?

Paula (PaulaY) | 198 comments I've fallen behind, too. Time to get back to the heather and all that.

Sarah | 35 comments I may read it also, don't remember if I ever read it before, so it is time to read it again. Sarah

Vicki | 60 comments I don't mean to be a wet blanket or anything but I think i am one of the few people that didn't love this book. I finally read it a couple of years ago because it was one of those books that I felt I was "supposed" to like. I saw the movie when I was a teenager and loved it. But I think as I grew up I had less tolerance for what I consider foolishness or melodramatics or whatever. I just wanted to slap both Heathcliff and Cathy most of the time. (Same way I feel about Bella and Edward---but I still read the books and saw the movies). I guess I'm just not too true to my beliefs!

Faye | 668 comments Mod
All right, Sarah, we'd be happy to have you join us. Puts more pressure on me to maintain the schedule ;)

Fair comment, Vicki. There's some aspects I like and I plan to keep reading. Cheers.

Faye | 668 comments Mod
Well I'm just about to start chapter 17. There is a darkness to this read that I can appreciate - but it's not the all out horror I'd like it to be. This is definitely NOT a romance as others have pointed out. I guess I'm too close to being MTV generation as opposed to penny post generation to feel the full darkness. But I do love other classics, so I dunno. I'll keep reading, but there are other competitors occupying my brain space and they're winning.

message 13: by Donna (last edited Nov 01, 2011 07:40AM) (new)

Donna | 1166 comments I thought you'd given up since you hadn't updated in so long. Now you know why I told you I just don't get why people think this is a love story. Written today, it would probably be a cautionary tale about obsession & emotional manipulation. The sisters Bronte had some dark stuff rolling around in their heads.

Faye | 668 comments Mod
Yes, it's embarrassing. I like to usually do what I say'll I do, but there's a lot of stuff competing for my time and a book that grabs me can get some precedent, but this one is only creeping along. The pacing is not appropriate for the MTV generation.

I'll probably finish it eventually, just because I've made it this far, but I can't make any promises as to when.

I don't yet know why it's on the BBC's must read list. I'm hoping that will clear up by the time I finish.

message 15: by Donna (last edited Nov 02, 2011 07:38AM) (new)

Donna | 1166 comments I recall my first read took me weeks & finishing became a point of honor. I felt so betrayed by the friends who'd rhapsodized over Heathcliff. I wanted to shake or slap the characters so bad.

Faye | 668 comments Mod
Uggh... duty that propels me forward on this one.

Faye | 668 comments Mod
Well, I'm nearly willing to admit to abandoning this one.

I've decided to have my last 2 baths without reading, rather than taking this book in with me. And what's a bath without a book? Choosing no book over this book is a pretty clear sign.

:( Sorry folks.

message 18: by Donna (last edited Nov 21, 2011 03:51PM) (new)

Donna | 1166 comments Don't apologize; I did warn you. There should be an award for finishing some books. Next time I suggest "My Darling, My Hamburger", take me seriously.

Faye | 668 comments Mod
Donna wrote: "Don't apologize; I did warn you. There should be an award for finishing some books. Next time I suggest "My Darling, My Hamburger", take me seriously."

LOL. Yes, I should have taken you up on My Darling, My Hamburger instead!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wuthering Heights (other topics)