Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Getting to Know You > What Are You Reading Now?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 990) (990 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 5018 comments Mod
Share what you are currently reading.

LadyHeather (LadyHeather_NL) | 33 comments I started reading Country Driving: A Journey Through China from Farm to Factory after I saw it on the "100 notable books from 2010" list of the New York Times. So far I really like it but for me this is more the kind of book of which I read 1 or a few chapters when I feel like reading 'something else' or in between other books.

message 3: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

LadyHeather wrote: "I started reading Country Driving: A Journey Through China from Farm to Factory after I saw it on the "100 notable books from 2010" list of the New York Times. So far I really like i..."

I just started one of those 'in between' kind of books also: Once an Arafat Man: The True Story of How a PLO Sniper Found a New Life by Tass Saada. It is my book for Qatar and my final book for the current challenge.

message 4: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Sep 19, 2011 11:07AM) (new)

Kari wrote: "I am reading Murder With PuffinsMurder With Puffins (Meg Langslow, #2) which takes place on Monhegan Island in Maine. The author has done a good job at capturing the place. I already ..."

I grew up near there in Maine. I'll have to look for that book.

Dee | 390 comments I got 5 more countries to hit this year - I have Death on Tour (Jocelyn Shore, #1) (egypt) and Woman in Exile  My Life in Kazakhstan (Kazakhstan) in progress and planning on starting Cape Greed (south africa); A Long Way Gone  Memoirs of a Boy Soldier (sierra leone) and Mango Elephants in the Sun  How Life in an African Village Let Me Be in My Skin (Cameroon)

Lisa Tipescu | 79 comments I am reading God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut, one of my favorite authors.
God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater
Set in Indiana, I'm in the midwest on my 50 state trek.

Connie | 406 comments I'm reading The House at Riverton by Kate Morton, an Australian author. This book takes place in England around World War I.

The House at Riverton

message 8: by Tara (last edited Sep 25, 2011 03:37PM) (new)

Tara (BookSexyReview) | 12 comments I'm just finishing up The Boat to Redemption (if anyone needs a book set in China this may be a good one for you)... and have been sneaking peaks at The Shape of Water (Inspector Montalbano Mysteries, #1) (set in Sicily).

Leslie T. (lat0403) | 30 comments I'm reading The Power and the Glory (Mexico).

message 10: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Leslie T. wrote: "I'm reading The Power and the Glory (Mexico)."

That's on my TBR list. I love Graham Greene.

message 11: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

I just finished The Hostage: A Novel by Zayd Mutee' Dammaj. It was quite different than the description would lead you to believe and better than I anticipated. It gave insight to what Yemen was like in the pre-revolutionary days, when it was governed by Imams.

Bonnie (UberGek) | 14 comments I just finished State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. It was really great. I had no idea what to expect. The Author was interviewed on national radio (CBC) and she sounded interesting and I knew it was set in the Amazon so I thought I'd give it a go. It was a beautiful adventure!

Next up for me is The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein for my real life book club that just started! This is our first pick. :)

Connie | 406 comments I loved The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. The author was profiled as a new author last month in Goodreads Voices.

Leslie T. (lat0403) | 30 comments Diane wrote: "Leslie T. wrote: "I'm reading The Power and the Glory (Mexico)."

That's on my TBR list. I love Graham Greene."

This is my first by Greene. I'm about halfway through and I like it. I'm always worried about starting a book like this because I have a few of his books on my TBR list and if I hated this one, I'd dread reading any of the others.

message 15: by LindaD (last edited Oct 03, 2011 09:23AM) (new)

LindaD (freedom333) | 223 comments I am finishing The Matchmaker of Périgord by Julia Stuart. Last title for 2010-11 challenge(I work fri-sun). This book is tedious, annoying, and hilarious! Let me clarify this statement - I loved this book! It was tedious for a reason...to show the tediousness of the town and it's inhabitants. It worked well to set up the story. Characters are quirky and very eccentric to the point of absurdity. I love it, but I bet some people would hate it. set in France

message 16: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

I am reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, set in St. Petersburg, Russia. It has been on my tbr list forever. So far, it is a very good book.

Bluemoon (Bluemoon286) | 262 comments I just finished Among the Wonderful: A Novel to start my trek. Last night I started The Rebel Princess set in France.

Leslie T. (lat0403) | 30 comments I'm listening to The Mosquito Coast and next on my list would be The Jaguar Smile: A Nicaraguan Journey if I could find it. I'm going to have to find another book for Nicaragua I guess.

message 19: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

I am reading The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Lee, set in Hong Kong.

Connie | 406 comments The Piano Teacher is sitting in my big pile of books to be read in the next month too. I hope you enjoy it.

Sam | 54 comments I've just started The Bone House by Brian Freeman which works for my USA roadtrip.

Jane(Janelba) (Janelba) | 232 comments I'm reading Split Image.

Thought it would work for the USA roadtrip however, I don't think there is an actual place called Paradise in Massachusetts ?! Although it does mention it being not too far from Boston. Will check if I can use it when I've finished it.

message 23: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Jane(Janelba) wrote: "I'm reading Split Image.

Thought it would work for the USA roadtrip however, I don't think there is an actual place called Paradise in Massachusetts ?! Although it does mention it ..."

It doesn't matter if the town if fictional, it can still be used as Massachusetts.

Jane(Janelba) (Janelba) | 232 comments Thank you Diane.

message 25: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

I am now reading My Invented Country: A Nostalgic Journey Through Chile by Isabel Allende and loving it! It really makes me want to go there!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm currently reading Fall of Giants Once I finish it in a few days, I plan to start "Frequent Flyer Challenge" with Paraíso inhabitado by Ana María Matute, as my country's (Spain) representation

Pepita | 82 comments I have got Stephen King's It by the bed to read.....it is on another 'list' I am trying to complete.....but it is massive so will probably be going for some time. I think I may be able to use it for Maine, USA if I ever get it finished!

Jane(Janelba) (Janelba) | 232 comments Just finished Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)(USA Massachussetts) and have read the first 36 pages of Girl with a Pearl Earring ( Holland)

Sam | 54 comments Currently reading Deadly Safari by Karin McQuillan which is set in Kenya

Corinna (corinnste) | 10 comments Jane(Janelba) wrote: "Just finished Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)(USA Massachussetts) and have read the first 36 pages of Girl with a Pearl Earring ( Holland)"
How do you like the girl with the pearl earring so far? I read the book a couple of years after watching the movie and quite enjoyed it.

I started Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie last night.

Jane(Janelba) (Janelba) | 232 comments Corinna wrote: "Jane(Janelba) wrote: "Just finished Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)(USA Massachussetts) and have read the first 36 pages of Girl with a Pearl Earring ( Holland)"
How do you like th..."

I'm enjoying it Corinna. Little slow on the reading now as I have just returned back to work after two weeks off due to illness. Pity we have to work to pay the bills instead of reading hehe.

message 32: by Dee (last edited Oct 24, 2011 04:22PM) (new)

Dee | 390 comments I have a feeling my trip is going to be a lot slower this year - because I knocked most of the easy countries out last year :( still chugging away at The Place of the Skull - its good, but dense - I can only read a chapter a night - those russians really liked lots of detail

message 33: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane wrote: "I am now reading My Invented Country: A Nostalgic Journey Through Chile by Isabel Allende and loving it! It really makes me want to go there!"

Hmmmm. Now after having finished the book, I'm not so sure I want to go after all...

message 34: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Currently reading Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

message 35: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Recently started Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb. Finishing up Trustee from the Toolroom by Nevil Shute.

Dee | 390 comments I finally finished up my Thailand book - it was ok, I liked his other book better - started Ali and Nino: A Love Story (Azerbaijan) and planning on starting Still Waters in Niger; Canary Island Song and Sacred Horses: Memoirs of a Turkmen Cowboy (Turkmenistan)

message 37: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Dee wrote: "I finally finished up my Thailand book - it was ok, I liked his other book better - started Ali and Nino: A Love Story (Azerbaijan) and planning on starting [book:Still Waters in Nige..."

I liked Ali & Nino a lot.

Dee | 390 comments i read the first couple of chapters last night and liked it - i'm a sucker for forbidden love stories

message 39: by mstan (last edited Nov 16, 2011 04:18AM) (new)

mstan | 118 comments I'm currently reading String Too Short to Be Saved, which can be classified under New Hampshire for my US roadtrip.

The other two books I'm currently reading won't fit in the challenge - King Richard III (I've already 'travelled' to England) and Interesting Times (amusing fantasy set in Pratchett's Discworld) but I am using them for the seasonal reading challenge...

Pepita | 82 comments I am currently reading It by Stephen King....bit out of my comfort zone in terms of genre but it is on a '100 best list' that I am trying to get through! I am down to the last 5 with a couple of 'fat' ones to end with; one being 'IT' and the other big one is 'Atlas shrugged' by Ayn Rand which might also be a bit of a challenge.

Jill (Jilian) | 1 comments Hi , Just joined. I have been reading around the world, in alphabetical order for a few years now (also eating/cooking around the world). I was inspired by Lonely Planet's "The Travel Book" and am currently reading "The Dark Child" set in Guinea.I look forward to seeing what books others have read for the different countries. On the side I also just finished "Mockingjay" and am reading "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" and am eagerly awaiting the films on both trilogies.

mar (Arrakis_Mar) | 70 comments I'm currently reading: Marina

Sam | 54 comments I'm currently reading Blood Memory by Greg Iles which works for Louisiana on my US road trip. Then I picked The Thread by Victoria Hislop for Greece & The Lotus Eaters by Tatjana Soli for Vietnam from the library today.

Jane(Janelba) (Janelba) | 232 comments I've just finished City of the Beasts for my ATWI80 books for a visit to Brazil and have just started Mistletoe Murder which works for my USA travels to Maine.

Dee | 390 comments Tammy - I liked 11 days in december - it was a good historical read - i went through a stage where I read a ton of WW2 stuff, both fiction and non-fiction

message 47: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Jill wrote: "Hi , Just joined. I have been reading around the world, in alphabetical order for a few years now (also eating/cooking around the world). I was inspired by Lonely Planet's "The Travel Book" and am ..."

Hi, Jill. Welcome to the group! I have been cooking around the world as well. I really enjoyed the Dark Child. I read it as my Guinea book a while back.

message 48: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Nov 24, 2011 05:55AM) (new)

I have actually got a good bit of reading done this week while on vacation at the beach. I am currently reading Solibo Magnificent, set in Martinique. I just finished Under the Frangipani, set in Mozambique.

Dee | 390 comments ohh under the frangipani sounds good...I might have to see if my library has it

Dee | 390 comments still stuck in azerbaijan/turkmenistan and niger...lol! my fantasy novel has sucked me in, but I have 3 days of reading since I have no thanksgiving plans

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 19 20