World Mysteries and Thrillers discussion

Book Regions > African mysteries

Comments (showing 1-34 of 34) (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna (aetm) | 250 comments Mod
This is the thread for all the suggestions and talks about the mysteries, thrillers, suspense, detectives and whatnot that are located in Africa, and/or are by African authors.
Quick ref. listing a few http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/Loc...

Which authors, books, or series are your favorites and why?

message 2: by Anna (new)

One easy to find and to enjoy would surely have to be the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith. Who wouldn't love the best female detective in Botswana, Precious Ramotswe? Even if those are kind of feelgood mysteries, best enjoyed with a cup of hot chocolate and a cat napping on you while you read those on a rainy and cold day?
Hey, I even found a No 1 Ladies story that was in Scots (with a dictionary), Precious and the Puggies: Precious Ramotswe's Very First Case. Very enjoyable.

For way more dark moods, Bruce Medway series by Robert Wilson would be a good bet. Instruments of Darkness is the first book in that series. The style is dark, and his books located in Spain and Portugal are completely different from those located in West Africa.

I can't think of too many other books or series I've read that were located in Africa. Some of Yasmina Khadra's books are, but not all of those are really thrillers or usual crime. Double Blank would be.

And last I can think only of one more African author, Wessel Ebersohn from South Africa. The October Killings came out last year, and it was pretty decent (a bit more action/adventure type).

message 3: by Kenneth (last edited Sep 16, 2011 09:37AM) (new)

Kenneth Fredette (klfredette) | 164 comments Mod
I was introduced (not really) to H. Rider Haggard as a teenager. He wrote "She" and "She and Allan". Sort of a Mark Twain. Born in Bredenham in 1856. He wrote a lot of Pulp Fictions. King Solomon's Mines.

In 90"s I read "Mating" and "Whites" by Norman Rush taking place in Botswana. In either case with Haggard or Rush they were white men in Africa.

I've also read J.M. Coetzee, who was a Nobel Prize winner, "Disgrace", "Waiting for the Barbarians","Dusklands","Elizabeth Costello", etc.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 2 comments I would recommend Children of the Street and Wife of the Gods by Kwei Quartey. Darko Dawson is a detective based in Accra, Ghana. Random Violence by Jazzy MacKenzie is a good mystery set in South Africa. The Informationist by Taylor Stevens is an excellent thriller set mainly in Equitorial Guinea. I've heard great things about the series set in Botswana by Michael Stanley, but haven't read any of the books yet.

The Washington Post recently had an article on African crime writers that included a few writers I didn't know.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifesty...

message 5: by Art (new)

Art | 53 comments I just read Random Violence last week and I have to agree it's pretty good. I'm hoping I can get the next book in that series- Stolen Lives: A Jade de Jong Investigation Set in South Africa, through inter-library loan, I'd like to see how it holds up against the first one.

message 6: by Pat (last edited Dec 27, 2011 05:50PM) (new)

Pat (Infosleuth) | 41 comments Malla Nunn sets her fascinating crime fiction series in 1950's South Africa at the beginning of apartheid. The sense of place and time is viscerally realistic, both positively and negatively. Those were difficult times for everyone. Book one in the series is A Beautiful Place to Die followed by Let the Dead Lie. Highly recommended.

message 7: by Anna (new)

I also saw Treachery in the Yard: A Nigerian Thriller by Adimchinma Ibe in a bookstore recently. Sort of large-ish TBR pile home, but it does sound interesting - I can't resist noirish procedurals set somewhere exotic. So I might have to grab it if it's still there next week.

message 8: by Pat (new)

Pat (Infosleuth) | 41 comments I have Margie Orford's Like Clockwork on my TBR shelf and it sounds almost too frightening to read! Very noir, but it's also a thriller, so that should get me through.

message 9: by Art (new)

Art | 53 comments I just finished Stolen Lives: A Jade de Jong Investigation Set in South Africa and I was happy to see it took the things I liked about Random Violence and raised the bar a bit. It looks like I will have to wait until next year before then next book The Fallen: A Jade de Jong Investigationcomes out here...

message 10: by Kenneth (last edited Dec 02, 2011 09:30PM) (new)

I am liken Robert Wilson, "Instruments of Darkness". This book has a lot of humor in it, which is a change of pace from his other book, "A Small Death in Lisbon." Although it is a mystery. I had to finish it. I carried the book everywhere with me.

message 11: by Nina (new)

Nina Chachu | 6 comments Nii Ayikwei Parkes Tail of the Blue Bird is partly a mystery, set in Ghana.

message 12: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) Dawn wrote: "I would recommend Children of the Street and Wife of the Gods by Kwei Quartey. Darko Dawson is a detective based in Accra, Ghana. Random Violence by Jazzy MacKenzie is a good mystery set in South..."

I agree, Dawn. I loved Children of the Street. I need to read the other book though.

message 13: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (kheady) | 11 comments I have to recommend An African Affair: A Novel, by Nina Darnton. I reviewed it for Suspense Magazine earlier this year. It is a fantastic novel set in Nigeria in the 1990s, and is based on the author's experiences as a journalist there. I was on the edge of my seat throughout the entire book.

message 14: by Ciiku (new)

Ciiku (CiikuJ) | 6 comments I loved Doris Lessing's 'The Grass is Singing'. Very powerful book, it stayed on my mind for days.

message 15: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 2 comments Dawn wrote: "I would recommend Children of the Street and Wife of the Gods by Kwei Quartey. Darko Dawson is a detective based in Accra, Ghana. Random Violence by Jazzy MacKenzie is a good mystery set in South..."

Thanks for the tip. Just finished Children of the Street and really liked it.

message 16: by Kenneth (new)

I finished "The Big Killing," by Robert Wilson. It was a fantastic book to read. The way the killing was done and by whom I'm not going to say but he keeps his hero honest with the women. He a romantic guy by my definition.

message 17: by Art (new)

Art | 53 comments Dawn wrote: "I would recommend Children of the Street and Wife of the Gods by Kwei Quartey. Darko Dawson is a detective based in Accra, Ghana"

Just finished Wife of the Gods myself and at started on a Beautiful Place to Die and am impressed with it so far.

message 18: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 6 comments I recently came accross the Jade del Cameron series by Suzanne Arruda. I haven't read them yet but I'll be reading the first one Mark of the Lion (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #1) by Suzanne Arruda in March for a group read in another group I've heard they're good though.

message 19: by Kenneth (new)

Got "A Darkening Stain" by Robert Wilson. This is interesting and powerful, Bagado's daughters been kidnapped. A far cry from Spain or Portugal his usual reads.

message 20: by Kenneth (new)

What I've seen is the way Wilson handles his closings. When he writes about Africa he has a real old fashion closing. Most of his books on Spain or Portugal end with a recap and leave you flustered.

message 21: by Donna (new)

Donna | 29 comments Really enjoying A Carrion Death by Michael Stanely which is set in Botswana. Much more police procedural/thriller than the lighter No. 1 Detective Agency series.

message 22: by Nina (new)

Nina Chachu | 6 comments Started reading Mixed Blood: A Thriller , by Roger Smith, with a setting in Cape Town (at least so far).

message 23: by Iain (new)

Iain Parke | 7 comments Africa noir? The Liquidator by Iain Parke - my first book is a contemporary political mystery / black comedy set in Africa that asks, when the chips are down, what would you do if you felt threatened enough in an alien situation?

The first chapter's available free at http://bad-press.co.uk/the-liquidator... if you want to check it out.

Rgds
Iain

message 24: by Billys (new)

Billys Boots | 5 comments Very fond of Robert Wilson's west african novels - though I must say that my favourite of his is 'A Small Death in Lisbon'; must read it again soon.

message 25: by Kimberly (last edited Feb 10, 2013 11:51AM) (new)

Kimberly | 6 comments I just read the first book in the Detective Jade de Jong Inspector series last night. It's a series following a female sleuth in modern day South Africa. Quite good reading I must say. The first novel is Random Violence by Jassy Mackenzie

message 26: by Kay (new)

Kay | 4 comments I like Deon Meyers. He does a great job of capturing modern South Africa while writing breathtaking police procedurals. Linda

message 27: by Lance (new)

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) I just finished The Geneva Decision , an action thriller set partly in Cameroon that doesn't slavishly follow the formula. Its protagonist is a non-Special-Forces woman, her organization isn't some ultra-secret government spook shop, and she's not trying to save the universe. People miss their shots, get in fights they don't win, and bicker. In short, it has more resemblance to the real world than a lot of other entries in the genre. A solid four stars.

If you're interested, my review is available at http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/....
The Geneva Decision (Pia Sabel, #1) by Seeley James

message 28: by Anna (new)

Ooh, A Carrion Death was awesome indeed. A new discovery for me would be Hour of the Red God: A Detective Mollel Novel, a very recently published procedural. A Maasai detective in Nairobi.

message 29: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) Wow -- no African mystery/crime books from anyone in a year? I've just finished Morituri, by Yasmina Khadra. The book is set in Algeria (Northern Africa), written by an author from that country.

message 30: by Anna (new)

Oh wait, has it been that long since my last African thriller? ...
Definitely time to look for some more :) Yasmina Khadra's books are awesome.

message 31: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) Anna wrote: "Oh wait, has it been that long since my last African thriller? ...
Definitely time to look for some more :) Yasmina Khadra's books are awesome."

Yes, he is, and yet this book is not that well liked. I liked it, but then again, I'm drawn to all things different.

message 32: by Janet (new)

Janet Williams | 2 comments I have found reading James McClure apartheid era mystery series (Kramer & Zondi) with Deon Meyer (Harry Hole) mystery series an enlightening comparison of South Africa in the past and present. Both authors are good reads. Discovered them in a UCT Summer School session on dectective novels.

message 33: by Janet (new)

Janet Williams | 2 comments A Carrion Death. Heard one of the authors speak at the SA Book Fair. Interesting speaker and bought the book. On my next to read list.

message 34: by Charles (new)

Charles James | 1 comments Peninah's Passion by Andy Lang I recommend this book highly, don't be put off by the erotica classification, it is really more of an adventure with some spicy moments that draw the plot together. The author is British but lives in Kenya and the second part of the book is set in East Africa.
This is the first book from a new indie author, worth a look for sure!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The October Killings (other topics)
Precious and the Puggies: Precious Ramotswe's Very First Case (other topics)
Double Blank (other topics)
Instruments of Darkness (other topics)
A Beautiful Place to Die (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Alexander McCall Smith (other topics)
Wessel Ebersohn (other topics)
Yasmina Khadra (other topics)
Adimchinma Ibe (other topics)
Margie Orford (other topics)
More...