M/T Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Bouchercon 2011

Comments (showing 1-36)    post a comment »
dateUp_arrow    newest »

Brakedrum | 1062 comments I could just see all of you on Barry's bike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuJGRc...

Barry (BarryPz) | 1594 comments If you looked at my bike next to Lorraine's, you would understand.

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 3723 comments Hey, is that a crack?!?!?!

Barry wrote: "As they said in Jaws: "We're gonna need a bigger bike"
(I think that was Jaws, Richard Dreyfus)"

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 3723 comments and screaming at the top of our lungs!

Sherry wrote: "Ann wrote: "Oh the mental pictures these scenarios raise! .....
yeah, barry on the bike with carol and me holding on for dear life! ..."

message 31: by Barry (last edited Sep 24, 2011 04:58PM) (new)

Barry (BarryPz) | 1594 comments As they said in Jaws: "We're gonna need a bigger bike"
(I think that was Jaws, Richard Dreyfus)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5941 comments Side car!!!
Sherry wrote: "yeah, barry on the bike with carol and me holding on for dear life! "

Sherry  | 1968 comments Ann wrote: "Oh the mental pictures these scenarios raise! I can even see this turning into a movie!
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Darn!!! I was just beginning to picture myself winging to Cleveland on the back of Ba..."

yeah, barry on the bike with carol and me holding on for dear life!

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5941 comments Oh the mental pictures these scenarios raise! I can even see this turning into a movie!
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Darn!!! I was just beginning to picture myself winging to Cleveland on the back of Barry's bike....
Let's keep this in mind, maybe we can convince Sherry to go and make it a real road trip!"

Barry (BarryPz) | 1594 comments I was going to take the bike to Columbus, but the route has a habit of sudden and violent thunderstorms.

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 3723 comments Darn!!! I was just beginning to picture myself winging to Cleveland on the back of Barry's bike....

Let's keep this in mind, maybe we can convince Sherry to go and make it a real road trip!

Barry wrote: "If I am free to go I would love the company. I drove to a wedding in Columbus last year, 750 miles, so I have an idea of my limitations. (No, it would not be on the back of the bike)"

Lynne in PA/Lineepinee (Lineepineeaolcom) | 56 comments If I am still in western PA next year I will go too. I'm only 2+ hours from Cleveland.

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5941 comments Barry: That is a long drive!
It is 516 miles (9 hours) from here, wow, Cleveland is waaay up there!
Barry wrote: "If I am free to go I would love the company. I drove to a wedding in Columbus last year, 750 miles, so I have an idea of my limitations. (No, it would not be on the back of the bike)"

Barry (BarryPz) | 1594 comments If I am free to go I would love the company. I drove to a wedding in Columbus last year, 750 miles, so I have an idea of my limitations. (No, it would not be on the back of the bike)

message 22: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 23, 2011 10:19AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 3723 comments I went online to see how long the drive was from Boston, but at 10 hours it's not practical, so it's air travel for me.

I can't believe I'm planning a trip a YEAR from now. How desperate am I for a getaway, LOL?

Sandi wrote: "
I plan to go to Cleveland too since it is so close and I hope to see many of you there.
..."

Sandi (sandin954) | 531 comments Melodie wrote: "Sounds like a great time was had by all in St. Louis! Anything really good in your book bags?? I'm really planning on Cleveland next year."

The book bag had a lot of ARC's this year. I received:

Defending Jacob by William Landay

The Professionals by Owen Laukkanen

A Lonely Death by Charles Todd

The Potter's Field 15-copy floor display by Andrea Camilleri

Un lieu incertain (An Uncertain Place) by Fred Vargas

As for actual books I got:

The Devil's Bed - William Kent Krueger

Flipped Out - Jennie Bentley / Jenna Bennett

Spycatcher: A Novel - Matthew Dunn

and an early Harlan Coben which I gave to Jan.

I am not a big fan of ARC's (I like the final product) so if anyone wants one (or any of the other books) let me know and I would be happy to send them out.

I plan to go to Cleveland too since it is so close and I hope to see many of you there.

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 3723 comments Me too, Mel. I'm wondering if I should go a day earlier to really take my time going through the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 2205 comments Sounds like a great time was had by all in St. Louis! Anything really good in your book bags?? I'm really planning on Cleveland next year.

Donnajo | 2135 comments thanks for sharing I love your reports.
I called the bookstore at the shore because my sister had to stop in there to pick up a book she ordered for robbie. and I thought she could pick up my prize rather than waiting until friday. The owner wasn't in she was at a confernence so don't know which one she was at. I thought I read they were on in NJ and also in virginia on her website. so the person that was working today didn't know what the prizes were so I had to call my sister back to tell her to forget about it. I'm going down on friday the thing is if it's going to rain on friday and saturday like expected. my sister & bil are coming north to see Robbie play in a hockey game. so at first my sister said maybe I should stay home. And I reminded her about the prize. so she said I can still go down if I don't mind being solo for just the night if they decide to come north. they would still be there most of friday and after the game on saturday they are coming right back. so at first I said well I thought she would go with me to the store to receive my prize at the evening event. She said I could still go on my own it will be something to do with they aren't there. Anyway, I thought since I might be getting something from the conference the one person told me besides the gift certificate anyway I'm better off getting everything that is supposed to be coming to me.

Brakedrum | 1062 comments Sounds like you all had an enjoyable experience. Happy Reading.

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5941 comments Glad to hear that you all had a great time talking about and gathering books! We look forward to hearing about your tbr additions!

Cheryl | 547 comments Sandi is right when she mentions tons of books. We had all kinds of books in our bag and all sorts of freebies from the publishers. I only bought two books plus a couple I brought with me. I went home with 10 to 15 freebies,

Sandi (sandin954) | 531 comments I'm back home from Bouchercon. Had a good time though I will say that St. Louis is not the most pedestrian friendly city I have every been to (even the police were whizzing through the crosswalks which were clearly marked Yield to Pedestrians).

It was fun to catch up a bit with everyone. I did go to a number of panels and added tons of books to my TBR. I also was able to get a few books signed too.

Cheryl | 547 comments It has been a good conference. I've spent more time visiting than going to panels, but it's all good. Some good news about authors I enjoy also.
Sean Chercover who won several awards but lost a publisher has a new deal and a new series. I went to his panel about Chigago authors. They are a close knit group. A Hole in the Heart. Libby Fischer Hellman (m), Michael Black, Sean Chercover, Micheal Harvey, Michael Wiley, Clare O'Donohue

Dark Angel Morally challenged heroes. Chris Holm (m), Bill Cameron, Blake Crouch, Leighton Gage, Theresa Schwegel, Micheal Wiley.

After a while there isn't much new left to say.

Tried some of the St. Louis specials. Had gooey cake, fried ravioli and pulled pork sandwich among other things.

Cheryl | 547 comments Shamus Awards
Lifetime Achievement - Ed Gorman

Best PI No Mercy Lori Armstrong

Best PBO Asia Hand Christopher Moore

First PI In Search of Mercy Michael Ayoob

Short Story "The Lamb Was Sure To Go" Gar Anthony Harwood.

Anthony Awards

Best Novel Bury Your Dead Louise Penny

Best First The Damage Done Hilary Davidson

Best PBO Expiration Date Duane Swiercinski

Short Story "Swing Shift" Dana Cameron

Graphic Novel The Chill Jason Starr

Best Critical/Non Fiction Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks John Curran

Website Stop You're Killing Me

Cheryl | 547 comments Bouchercon Book Awards
Macavity Awards
Best Novel Bury Your DeadLouise Penny

Non Fiction Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks John Curran

Best First Mystery Rogue Island Bruce DeSilva

Short Story "Swing Shift" Dana Cameron

Sue Feder Historical City of Dragons Kelly Stanley

BARRY AWARDS
Best Novel The Lock Artist Steve Hamilton

Best First The Poacher's Son Paul Doiron

Best British The Woodcutter Reginald Hill

Best Thriller 13 Hours Deion Myers

Best Short "The List" Loren Estleman

Cheryl | 547 comments FIRST BOUCHERCON REPORT
Day 2 actually. I've done as much visiting as attending panels.
Highlights Day 1 Forensics Panel.
Leslie Budewitz (m)Jan Burke, Marcia Clarke, Jonathan Hayes, Doug Starr, Stephanie Pintoff. A very knowledgeable panel and yes, that is THE Marcia Clarke. Her book is very much of an insider's look.

Panel 2 Burning House of Love.
Tom Schreck (m) Sheila Connolly, Heather Graham, Harley Jane Kozak, Judi McCoy, Alexandra Sokoloff. That topic wasn't a come on either. It was about sexual topics in mysteries.

Will talk about other panels later.

My friend Colin Campbell got word today that his three book deal was picked up; a roque cop in NYC.

We got great book packets here. A little over kill. Barry Eisler's new book was in my packet. Today it reached #11 on the Kindle Best Seller list.

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5941 comments True, MQC and Barry - it would be great fun and Cleveland is only about 4+ hours away from me.
Barry wrote: "Cleveland...only a 1 day drive..."
Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "Melodie, Carol, Ann...next year for sure. The R&RHOF will be great!"

Barry (BarryPz) | 1594 comments Cleveland...only a 1 day drive...

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Hey I'll be there...and Jan is going too, I think. A group of us from Amazon are meeting in the hotel lobby for dinner Wednesday night at 6pm. We're going to The Dubliner down the block which is easy walking distance. Please join us if you want some company for dinner. Susie (from last year) will be there and 2 other ladies I never met before...Kathryn and Colleen.

See you soon!

Melodie, Carol, Ann...next year for sure. The R&RHOF will be great!

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 5941 comments Have fun to those attending - we look forward to the reports!!

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 2205 comments Cheryl wrote: "Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Guess I'll put it on my calendar for next year. Is that where the rock and roll hall of fame is?"

Yes, it is. The opening ceremonies will be at the Hall of Fame,

I am ..."

I looked up B'con 2012 this afternoon and saw that about the opening ceremonies being at the Hall of Fame. Have penciled it onto my 2012 calendar!

Cheryl | 547 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Guess I'll put it on my calendar for next year. Is that where the rock and roll hall of fame is?"

Yes, it is. The opening ceremonies will be at the Hall of Fame,

I am heading to St. Louis on Wednesday.

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 3723 comments Guess I'll put it on my calendar for next year. Is that where the rock and roll hall of fame is?

Sandi (sandin954) | 531 comments I will be there. Leaving Wednesday. Too bad you will not be able to attend. Maybe next year in Cleveland? Looks like there were be some good GOHs next year 2012 Bouchercon Guests of Honor

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 2205 comments So, who's going??? I wanted to, but getting my hip fixed burned a whole week of vacation before STD started up!