Amazon Kindle discussion

Gift Card question

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Elle (Louiselesley) Hi guys!

I know some of you use Gift Cards for budgeting how much you spend on books and was wondering if you can answer a question that Amazon has failed to do so THREE times now. (2 emails and 1 phone conversation)

All I want to know is that if you have a gift card on your account redeemed, is there an option to not use it to pay for an ebook?

Simple question seems to be confusing Amazon.

The reason I ask is that with my Birthday and Christmas in the future I want to ask for Amazon gift cards to fund my reading habits next year but my Aunt shares the account with me and I don't really want her to spend my gift cards.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Why don't you get your own account? You just have a credit card and then use your gift cards only. I got in trouble with my husband for spending WAY TOO MUCH in one month .... I shocked myself. LOL

Elle (Louiselesley) Well it is mine, but my Aunt didn't have one so I offered her mine. It means we can share books. We don't read a lot of the same stuff but enough to justify having the same account. I kinda want to ask her to get a new one but I'm not sure how to approach it without being offensive, plus she has given me books in the past and I have given her some :(

Brandon | 82 comments Gift cards can be used for any merchandise sold by Amazon. They can not be used for preordes however.

Elle (Louiselesley) Yes but can they NOT be used for ebooks?

message 6: by Cindy (last edited Sep 11, 2011 01:38PM) (new)

Cindy (Newtomato) Louise-Lesley wrote: "Yes but can they NOT be used for ebooks?"

If you buy the book from your Kindle, I don't think there's a way around using it for ebooks. If you buy through your computer, you can change it at checkout.

My experience is that Amazon uses the gift card balance automatically for everything, unless you take pains not to.

Elle (Louiselesley) When buying an ebook can you actually get to a checkout? I've always just hit 'Buy now with 1-click' - can you turn that off for ebooks?

Weenie | 55 comments I was about to say just add your ebook to your wish list and then move to your basket but guess what - when you add an ebook to your wish list, the next option is to buy via 1-click, which will, I think, automatically use up any giftcards first, and then when used up, will use the registered credit card.

If you intend to continue sharing an account and sharing books, then perhaps your aunt should also share the cost by maybe applying a gift card to your account, so then you both have 'credit'?

Elle (Louiselesley) Dang, why so complicated Amazon /:

And yeah, well I buy a LOT more books than her. She is only a real casual reader so she only buys like one a month at the most.. I suppose I could just ask that the gift cards be in low amounts (split up) so I can add and buy straight away to save the trouble.

*grumbles*

Dee (austhokie) | 330 comments If your Aunt is using your account and taking money off gift cards that you have been given, it is only right that she refund you that money. My mom, sister and I all share my kindle account - they email me before they purchase anything to let me know - and it works fine

Elle (Louiselesley) Yeah she would but it'd be nice to just keep my own gift card and not have to worry about her spending it.

Ah well. If I can't it is not the end of the world :P

Dee (austhokie) | 330 comments i don't think so - unless you were to go in a register/deregister the gift card everytime...

you could always wait until you have a list of books you want that equal the gift card - apply it and buy them all at once

Elle (Louiselesley) Yeah I'll probably end up doing that. I am in the process of making an actual list of books I want to read in order so that'll be handy.

(I also need to wait for my new kindle to arrive. my one literally just decide to stop working today)

Helen | 583 comments I think it's lovely that you and your aunt are close, I have a tiny family, HOWEVER, separate your account! I know people who have been hacked and as you are joined you'd both be affected.

Ralph (sunwriter) | 327 comments Mod
I've contacted Amazon about this before and if you have a gift card balance, you have to pay for your books using that balance.

Shirley (ShirleytheKindlereader) Louise-Lesley wrote: "Well it is mine, but my Aunt didn't have one so I offered her mine. It means we can share books. We don't read a lot of the same stuff but enough to justify having the same account. I kinda want to..."

Ask Amazon if you could have a separate password for use of gift cards or separate users. I wonder if you could set up a separate account for her.

Patricia (PG4003) | 243 comments The simple answer to this question, as it looks like you have figured out, is if you have a gift card balance there is no way you can tell Amazon NOT to use the gift card balance first. I have a Kindle w/special offers and when I want to take advantage of one of the offers, it always comes from my gift card balance first and I hate that. I like to keep my gift card balance only for books. I was on the phone for 30 minutes one day trying to get the Amazon rep to figure this out and I've heard several other people who have had the same problem. It doesn't seem like rocket science, seems they could just put an option for "use gift card balance" or not and we could make that decision.

Elle (Louiselesley) According to the person I spoke to the other day they are in the process (at least for the UK one) in creating an option to turn on and off your gift card :)

Elle (Louiselesley) not with ebooks though (I'm UK too)

Denise (drbetteridge) Louise-Lesley wrote: "not with ebooks though (I'm UK too)"

I stand corrected. Sorry.

Elle (Louiselesley) S'ok. It is kinda stupid the way you can't turn a gift card on/off

Patricia (PG4003) | 243 comments On Audible.com (which Amazon owns), when you put an audio book in your cart, there's a box to check if you want to use your "points" for the book or just have it charge to your credit card. Wish they could do that on Amazon.

Sarah WebbiegrrlWriter (webbiegrrlwriter) | 52 comments Louise-Lesley wrote: "When buying an ebook can you actually get to a checkout? I've always just hit 'Buy now with 1-click' - can you turn that off for ebooks?"

Yes, Louise, you definitely CAN turn OFF the 1-click settings. Go to your Account and look for the 1-click settings link.

As I understand it, you want to have a way for your aunt to use a credit card or something NOT your gift cards while you still have the gift cards on the account's balance. Do I understand your question correctly?

Assuming I do, then I think Cindy hit the nail on the head, you have to go through the web site (not use your Kindle to just buy the books) and you have to jump CAREFULLY through the purchase process one painstaking click at a time. Don't use 1-click and you should be able to specify a different billing method.

What a pain! It's great that you and your aunt share a love of books and reading and that you help her plug into the digital world of eBooks but what a pain!

Elle (Louiselesley) ... You definitely CANNOT turn it off for buying eBooks. I think we already definitely established that.

unread topics | mark unread