Moby-Dick discussion

Moby-Dick; or, The Whale
This topic is about Moby-Dick; or, The Whale
Lee Side Chatter

Comments (showing 201-250 of 598) (598 new)    post a comment »

message 201: by S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

S. (SarahJ) | 121 comments Mod
I am too very far away to think of New Bedford, although I was recently in southern Mass. The ocean is another matter...

message 202: by Stephen (last edited Oct 20, 2011 06:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stephen (Havan) | 90 comments Not sure why, but all of these posts are reminding me of song lyrics...

Don't know much about History...

Never been to Spain... But I kinda like the women.

message 203: by Carol (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol That is a good whaling shanty Stephen.

Stephen (Havan) | 90 comments Maybe I'll turn the A/C way down and have me a real Three Dog Night.

message 205: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (BillGNYC) | 184 comments Yes Sarah, but perhaps we could patch you in via Skype. Or we could do The Magic Mountain next and all visit you. :-)

message 206: by Carol (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol Huh!

message 207: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (BillGNYC) | 184 comments Hmm, sorry Sarah I thought you were in Germany? Was that an hallucination? You don't seem to be any longer, though.

message 208: by LauraT (new) - rated it 5 stars

LauraT (LauraTa) May I join you form far away?
I'm Laura from Italy. And I've always loved this book, since my first read in University.
Since you are reading at a slow speed I'd like to squeeze it into other books I'm on at the moment!

message 209: by Newengland (new)

Newengland You're certainly welcome, Laura, especially if you LOVE this book. Your insight, second (or third or fourth) voyage around, will be great. We start reading next Friday the 28th (ONE WEEK, PEOPLE!) and start talking the following Friday, November the 4th.

Bill, Sarah is, in fact, based out of Germany. She has just been visiting the States for a few weeks because she is an expat and needs to visit the family and all. And though she visited my fair (to middling) state, we never did meet, New Bedford or Old.

message 210: by Bill (last edited Oct 21, 2011 05:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (BillGNYC) | 184 comments Well, Kitty, The Magic Mountain begins in Germany and the takes off, rather like Moby-Dick begins in Manhattan/New Bedford/Nantucket before setting sail. Hence visiting Sarah.

message 211: by S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am in Germany (though not today). And if y'all want to read The Magic Mountain with me, it is also on my list. Big whales, big mountains, big fat neglected books.

message 212: by Petra (last edited Oct 21, 2011 06:37AM) (new) - added it

Petra Hi Laura and welcome! Glad to have an experienced sailor here with us all.
S. et al, I'm kind of currently reading The Magic Mountain but due to busy times it has fallen on the wayside. I intend to pick it back up soon and would be glad for some reading company.
Captain NE, I'll be ready to sail next week.

message 213: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (BillGNYC) | 184 comments Instead of going to sea, Hans Castorp goes to a tuberculosis sanitorium and the world there provides fruit for a very long meditation. Instead of New Bedford, we all meet in Hamburg. Or better yet we do Proust and spend six months in Paris. :-)

message 214: by Carol (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol Bill wrote: "Well, Kitty, The Magic Mountain begins in Germany and the takes off, rather like Moby-Dick begins in Manhattan/New Bedford/Nantucket before setting sail. Hence visiting Sarah."

Thanks for the explanation, Bill. I will look into the Magic Mountain. Here there is a theme park called Magic Mountain.

message 215: by Jennifer (last edited Oct 21, 2011 03:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 216: by Carol (last edited Oct 21, 2011 04:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol I like no.'s 8 & 3 for the classic look. I prefer no. 2 It is colorful and artistic with enough modernistic style.

message 217: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Oh, that's cool! I like #7. WTF do they think the book is about?

message 218: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (BillGNYC) | 184 comments Thanks, Jennifer. I was particularly intrigued by the cover filled with high school students, one holding a basketball.

I have University of California reprint of the Arion Press limited edition. The best $25 I ever spent, although I'm reading it on my Nook. I wouldn't mark this edition up

message 219: by Newengland (last edited Oct 21, 2011 05:00PM) (new)

Newengland Number One, thank you. Number seven has its charm, no question, but in the end, I'm predictably boring, if nothing else.

message 220: by Jennifer (last edited Oct 21, 2011 05:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jennifer D (Booktrovert) I think #5 is my favourite - it's a bit weird and different but still relevant.

#7 is very confusing, indeed, Bill & Alex. Like, The Hardy Boys edition??

message 221: by Newengland (new)

Newengland Hardy har-har edition is more like it.

Jennifer D (Booktrovert) Newengland wrote: "Hardy har-har edition is more like it."

I knew I could count on you, NE!! :D

message 223: by Carol (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol NO. 1 looks like a wood block print .

message 224: by Newengland (new)

Newengland Yep. That's it's appeal. Wood. Like the Pequod itself (assuming it wasn't an aluminum whaler).

Jennifer D (Booktrovert) I don't mind #1 at all - sort of classic looking, minimalist.

message 226: by Stephen (last edited Oct 21, 2011 07:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stephen (Havan) | 90 comments I REALLY don't understand #7. Perhaps someone misread Pequod as pederasty it does have that early 50's beware of strangers feel...

message 227: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (BillGNYC) | 184 comments I was actually wondering if they called the center on the basketball team Moby-Dick -- or something like that -- and it had absolutely nothing to do with whales.

message 228: by Debbie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Debbie (Sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) | 55 comments I like #8 and then #1.

message 229: by Petra (new) - added it

Petra I like the wood block of #1. It could also be a piece of scrimshaw work that an old sailor did while waiting for the whale to appear on the horizon.
#3 is great in a spooky, horror-film sort of way.
#5 is the bunch of us in the tavern telling our whale tales.
Haha....#6 makes me think of a sea-sick sailor (that would be me but with a less gruff looking & female face).
Yeah, what's up with #7??!! There's got to be a story behind that.

message 230: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex I'ma just throw my edition in there, the Penguin Deluxe Classics cover by indie comic artist Tony Millionaire:

Moby-Dick  Or, the Whale  by Herman Melville

#1 is still the classic, but I really like this cover.

message 231: by Newengland (new)

Newengland Tony "Millionaire"? Of all the pseuds, this is an odd one.

The bottom line is that even classics can be marketed better via cover art. The YA market is on to this in a big way.

If I published classics, I'd have the Chip Kidd do all the covers. But then, I tend to like minimalism as he does. That's irony folks (and pass the grog). A minimalist reading Moby Dick, I mean.

Stephen (Havan) | 90 comments Newengland wrote: ... I tend to like minimalism as he does. That's irony folks... A minimalist reading Moby Dick "

That ties into what I was just coming to post. Seems I'm revisiting the Joseph Campbell/Bill Moyers interviews and Campbell talks about a Tahitian myth of the man standing on the back of a whale fishing for minnows.

Make me wonder what krill we'll capture when we assail the beast.

message 233: by S. (last edited Oct 22, 2011 05:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer wrote: "I thought this timely!"

Wow, I loved that. I did "struggle" with number 7, though. Laugh.

I really like Alex's over, too.

Mine is nondescript. Without it in my hands I can't even remember what the cover looks like, though it's surely a whale.

Jennifer D (Booktrovert) I have been trying to figure out that cover, featured as #7...no luck yet. I did find some other interesting covers; these are the few that jumped out at me:

This one didn't give the publisher, but said it was a German language edition:

message 235: by Petra (last edited Oct 22, 2011 05:53PM) (new) - added it

Petra Is that a spoiler on the German language edition? :D

I can't post a pic but can link to the copy I have:
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/MobyDi...

It's so much calmer than some of the other editions.

Alex, I like the cover of your book. Very nice.

message 236: by Carol (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol Nice. I thought Moby was white!

message 237: by S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ah, I love all those. Don't judge a cover by its book!

message 238: by Debbie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Debbie (Sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) | 55 comments Why does the 150th Anniversary edition cover have a Maori full-face moko on it???

Stephen (Havan) | 90 comments Debbie wrote: "Why does the 150th Anniversary edition cover have a Maori full-face moko on it???"

Could it be a reference to Queequeg? The way I recall him he seemed kinda Maori to me too.

message 240: by Debbie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Debbie (Sardonicprincessofcheerfulness) | 55 comments His name most certainly isn't! I always thought it sounded Inuit.....I will read with a little more interest now....

message 241: by Olivierco (last edited Oct 23, 2011 05:44AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Olivierco Debbie wrote: "Why does the 150th Anniversary edition cover have a Maori full-face moko on it???"

Self-portrait of the face of Tupai Cupa, whose story Melville found in New Zealanders (1830), and on whom he based Queequeg - a discovery by Geoffrey Sanborn, first announced in this Norton Critical Edition

message 242: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Queequeg was from a fictional island in the South Pacific. One full of cannibals.

That German edition might be a depiction of an earlier whale-hunting scene.

NY Times this morning has a review of Philbrick's new Why Read Moby-Dick? I kinda want to read it. I totally did not pick up on the idea that the scientific classification chapter was supposed to be a parody.

message 243: by Carol (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol You all are making this an adventure, I think it will be fun. Nice sailing with you bunch.

message 244: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (BillGNYC) | 184 comments Debbie wrote: "His name most certainly isn't! I always thought it sounded Inuit.....I will read with a little more interest now...."

But the narrator specifically says he's from a fictional island and names it. A little bit of metafiction.

message 245: by Bill (last edited Oct 23, 2011 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill (BillGNYC) | 184 comments Alex,

I don't know that I agree that the classification section is meant as a satire, although one could read it any way he chooses.

And I do think parts of the novel are brilliantly funny. I particularly like Ishmael's extremely dry response (while being extremely wet) almost half-way through the novel after his first adventure in a whaleboat (the little boats, not the Pequod)chasing after a whale (not Moby-Dick) with Starbuck, one of the most cautious of the boat skippers.

Ishmael decides to write his will. :-)

message 246: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 88 comments Hi all, Kitty just told me about this group. Well I've decided to give it a try and see if I can overcome my whale-phobia (probably worse than my math-phobia). I never thought I would, but this sounds like just the place to do it. I'm looking forward to this.

It sounds like you are planning to read this over a period of time. Is there a specific outline for reading? I may have missed it if it's on the group page.

message 247: by Anne (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anne (reachannereach) Hi Sue,
I just couldn't stop myself from joining in. I have read Moby Dick and will enjoy reading it again with this group.

message 248: by Carol (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol Hi Sue and Anne. Glad to see you over here .

message 249: by S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah! Fresh sailors. Put on your life vests.

message 250: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie | 5 comments Just found and joined this group today. I have never made it completely through Moby Dick, so I am giving it one last try. Hopefully, I will make the full journey and not be added to the poor unfortunate souls "buried at sea."
Now, I just need to obtain a copy before the end of the week.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Billy Budd, Sailor (other topics)
Moby-Dick (other topics)
Moby-Dick; or, The Whale (other topics)
Life of Pi (other topics)
Life of Pi (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Herman Melville (other topics)
Yann Martel (other topics)