Christian Support Group :) discussion

Your Church > I don't know if I belive the church is good anymore.

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Ever sense I started Middle school and moved up to youth in our church I have been having trouble seeing the church as a good thing.
I am homeschooled and have been all my life so I know nothing of Public schoolers or what they do.
When I moved up to youth all my friends started hanging out with the older kids and kind of just ignored me like they didn't evan know who I was and wanted nothing to do with me. That has been going on for four years and I have sitten by and watched as they didn't welcome visitors and just dissed me whenever I spoke up witch is rarrly.
This year I got sick of it and begged my Parents to try out new churches finnally they agreed, We have tried every church in our area but there all the same.
It's like you have to be part of the cliqe and if your not you have to change yourself to be like them to join.
I am so confused as to what to think. Please help.

Alex | 741 comments Mod
First of all you've got to realize that not all people who go to church are the same. And unfortunately not all people practice what they preach. :/ I'm sorry that people haven't been welcoming. :( The main thing is to just pray about it. I know that's a generic answer: just pray about it! But it's true, and it works. Ask God to help you and your family to find a church family where you all feel like you fit in. For several years, my family and I went to a Baptist church. It was a fantastic church, but we didn't quite feel like we belonged there. We tried several different Baptist churches all with the same results. Eventually we ventured out and visited a Methodist church (a slightly different denomination of Christianity) and we instantly felt like that's where we belonged. We've been Methodist ever since. So another thing you might want to try is trying out a new denomination. Hope this helped!! :) Good luck on finding a fitting church family!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. I will talk to my parents about it, I have actually not thought of switching denominations.

Alex | 741 comments Mod
Glad I could help. :) Yeah, some denominations are more casual/traditional. And most churches even offer two different kinds of services: Contemporary and Traditional.

message 5: by Nike (last edited Oct 06, 2011 10:17PM) (new)

Nike Chillemi | 116 comments Bridget wrote: "Ever sense I started Middle school and moved up to youth in our church I have been having trouble seeing the church as a good thing.
I am homeschooled and have been all my life so I know nothing ..."

Bridget, I'm the mother of a teenage daughter who's a bit different. She's a huge nerd. First she wanted to have a career as a repo guy/gal, now she thinks she's Evil Flippy from Happy Tree Friends. She seems to get along pretty well w/kids. But I've noticed teenage girls can be gossipy and rude. It's the same in public school and in Christian school and in church. It is what it is.

It sounds as if you want to find a friend. I agree with Alex that you should pray about it.

Our family went to several churches before we found one that fit us. We'd been there for two years quite happily and then it closed. So, we're looking again. We're a bit different, so we don't feel at home in some places where they have a lot of judgemental Christians.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 21, 2012 11:22AM) (new)

I just wanted to let Y'all know I put what you said to heart and prayed about it. I looked at allot of churches and was about to tell my parents I was going to try a diffrent church (One I could walk to from our house) when my parents gathered me and my siblings for a family meeting in which they told us that they wanted a church closer to home. For a couple of months we tried one that was really close (the one I was actualling planning on going myself) but it was a pretty big church and we didn't feel it was the place for us.
I had been doing chimes with a church that was very close but we hadn't wanted to join because we thout "its just to small" but the more we went the more we liked it.
We are now looking into becoming members of that church. I feel at home and welcome there, everyone is extreamly nice.
Thank you all for your advice! :)

Nike Chillemi | 116 comments Bridget wrote: "I just wanted to let Y'all know I put what you said to heart and prayed about it. I looked at allot of churches and was about to tell my parents I was going to try a diffrent church (One I could wa...".

Bridget, PTL...everything worked out. I'm happpy for you and your family. Prayer does work.

So does waiting on the Lord. His timing is not our time.

Kristen | 349 comments Glad you found a church you're more comfortable with. But don't forget, churches are made up of people and people are all sinners. So there will never be a perfect church where people always act the way they should.
Christians ought to be acting like it, but sometimes they don't. And usually that means they need prayer. Because you have to wonder why they act that way. It's understandable to mess up and say rude things sometimes. We all do it. But if someone is always bullying and constantly doing what you described, you have to wonder about if they even believe in what they say they do.
Just don't always automatically blame the church. Alot of Christians who don't act like it have given Christianity a bad name and made people think we are something we are not.

But I hope things are better for you now :)

unread topics | mark unread