Exceptional Books discussion

Non Fiction Books > Military/War books

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Emily (emilymp) | 15 comments When I went on a road trip through the South I read a lot of civil war books. My favorite, and the most moving and informative was this one:

This Republic of Suffering  Death and the American Civil War by Drew Gilpin FaustThis Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War by Drew Gilpin Faust. It's an intense examination of not only the social history surrounding feelings toward death during the time period, but also the practicalities of death--how does a society deal with the bodies resulting from battle? Sounds depressing and morbid, but it's an exceptional book.

message 2: by Monica (last edited Sep 09, 2011 11:53AM) (new)

Monica (Calibella13) | 14 comments .Inside Delta Force: The Story of America's Elite Counterterrorist Unit by Eric Haney tells his story as one of the founding members of Delta in the U.S. Army. Wonderful read on what you have to go through physically and mentally to make such a unit.

message 3: by Karen (last edited Sep 09, 2011 02:52PM) (new)

Karen | 1 comments Laurence Rees - WW2 historian and author.

I would recommend looking into this author for anyone interested in WW2.

He has written numerous books; Auschwitz, The Nazis, The War of the Century, Horror in the East, Their Darkest Hour and WW2 Behind Closed Doors.

I found his books both informative and captivating. He takes the reader into a world we have all heard of but not experienced. His insight into the War involves incredibly frank interviews with all perspectives and is free of propanganda. I have found myself so engrossed in his books that I can see myself standing amongst the carnage and horror that was WW2.

message 4: by Monica (last edited Sep 10, 2011 11:57AM) (new)

Monica (Calibella13) | 14 comments Karen wrote: "Laurence Rees - WW2 historian and author...

Sounds interesting - thanks!

Sharon (SharonStar) | 48 comments Mod
I'm more than halfway through "Matterhorn" about the Vietnam War. If you never went to war and want to know what it's really like, read this. You'll have a new and more informed outlook of what happens behind the scenes. Many vets have said this book is spot on.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War (other topics)
Inside Delta Force: The Story of America's Elite Counterterrorist Unit (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Drew Gilpin Faust (other topics)