Creative Reviews discussion

?'s for the Members of CR > For the Reviewers

Comments (showing 1-33)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 33: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Katy wrote: "Jenn wrote: "I just give them the option if they want it posted or not.
Now if I buy if, I'm posting! "

I am the same way; I think it's only fair."

;)

message 32: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) | 603 comments Jenn wrote: "I just give them the option if they want it posted or not.
Now if I buy if, I'm posting! "

I am the same way; I think it's only fair.

message 31: by Katy (new)

Katy (KatyaS-69) | 603 comments BarkLessWagMore wrote: "I usually don't think at all ;) I just start writing and whatever spews out gets tidied up and posted. If I think too much my mind shuts down."

That's me, too - sometimes I'll think of something while I'm reading and note it down ,but then I usually forget to use it ... LOL

message 30: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Amy wrote: "If I hated the book and they don't have any other reviews, I will usually wait on posting my review. But that is just how I roll..."

I just give them the option if they want it posted or not.
Now if I buy if, I'm posting!

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy (Dranea) | 1841 comments Mod
If I hated the book and they don't have any other reviews, I will usually wait on posting my review. But that is just how I roll...

message 28: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Jenn wrote: "Amy wrote: "If all of us in here got paid even $100 bucks a book for the ones we have read and reviewed....We would be pulling in some serious cash!!

Although, I will admit, I love it when I ha..."

Unless it's not that great. I hate being the first then

message 27: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments Amy wrote: "From the Kirkus website:

1. Simply request a review by clicking the link above. You'll give us as much information possible about your book, choose whether you want standard service (7-9 weeks)..."

thats ridiculous. people can't actually pay that.

message 26: by Sara (new)

Sara (SaraWyndSpryte) | 243 comments Too true! But I am enjoying myself immensely. :D

message 25: by Amy (new)

At least we know we will never be bored again! LOL

message 24: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Sara wrote: "I think I was first to review D. Robert Pease's Noah Zarc: Mammoth Trouble. Being my first review here, it was a rush and felt so RIGHT!"
That's great!
Just wait till everyone is pounding on your door for them, then it's a rush just to keep up! lol

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara (SaraWyndSpryte) | 243 comments I think I was first to review D. Robert Pease's Noah Zarc: Mammoth Trouble. Being my first review here, it was a rush and felt so RIGHT!

message 22: by Jenn (new)

Jenn  (Greeneyez2012) Amy wrote: "If all of us in here got paid even $100 bucks a book for the ones we have read and reviewed....We would be pulling in some serious cash!!

Although, I will admit, I love it when I happen to be t..."

Yeah its great unless the books isn't that good and you get to be the first one to crush their hopes and dreams,.
Checked that off my list last week....

message 21: by Amy (new)

If all of us in here got paid even $100 bucks a book for the ones we have read and reviewed....We would be pulling in some serious cash!!

Although, I will admit, I love it when I happen to be the first one to review a book. I don't know why, but it just feels really great to give that author their first, and you know anticipated, review. It makes me feel good! :)

message 20: by Cassie (new)

Cassie McCown (cassie629) | 713 comments Amy wrote: "From the Kirkus website:

1. Simply request a review by clicking the link above. You'll give us as much information possible about your book, choose whether you want standard service (7-9 weeks)..."

:-O I am seriously underpaid!!! Hahahaha...

message 19: by Literary (new)

Literary Sanctuary (TheLiterarySanctuary) | 32 comments I actually take notes as I am reading and then review my notes as I write the review. I look at content, format, flow, character development and all sorts of other things.

message 18: by Sara (new)

Sara (SaraWyndSpryte) | 243 comments Anagha wrote: "I'm with BarkLessWagMore. Usually, I make notes on Post-its while I read. So first, I take those out, and read them and compare them to how I felt by the end. Then I copy down the important points ..."

That's usually what I do! I think about how the book felt overall and then about the characters. I use notes that I've jotted down along the way and if there's something that really made an impression, comment on it. I try to not over-think the book because that takes the pleasure of reading out of it.

message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie (JATaylor) | 33 comments yeah, ouch. But they are the industry standard as far as no bias and their review letter is distributed to agents, publishers, screenwriters, etc. I think they only started that to give access to indie publishers but still ensure they aren't inundated with everyone who self-publishes. They aren't reader-reviews; they are professional book reviewers.

But yes, ouch for cost.

message 16: by Amy (new)

From the Kirkus website:

1. Simply request a review by clicking the link above. You'll give us as much information possible about your book, choose whether you want standard service (7-9 weeks) or express service (3-4 weeks), and pay for your review (standard service $425, express service $575). When you submit your order, you'll get a response from the Kirkus Indie team confirming receipt of your request.

OH MY GOSH!! FOR ONE REVIEW??? REALLY???

message 15: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (JAClement) | 1328 comments Whoops! More inaccurate than I knew....it's a worry!! You'll have to excuse me, I've been doing a last-minute food shop on the internet and that always fries my brain.

What on earth was I thinking of then? That's going to annoy me for days now.....

JAC

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie (JATaylor) | 33 comments Kirkus is the industry standard book review company; think a half-step up from New York Times review. They're not a magazine and do all genres. They opened the "pay for" review option for Indie authors since otherwise it was only publishing houses that had access to their reviews...

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (Barb65) | 405 comments J.A. wrote: "It's a fairly famous sci-fi mag. Almost "the" sci-fi mag. Might do fantasy too, but not sure about that.
Anyone?"

All I know is I'm NOT going to pay to get a review, I don't care where, especially at those prices! I'd rather spend them with my editor! :-D

message 12: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (JAClement) | 1328 comments It's a fairly famous sci-fi mag. Almost "the" sci-fi mag. Might do fantasy too, but not sure about that.
Anyone?

message 11: by Amy (new)

What is Kirkus?

message 10: by Iola (new)

Iola | 28 comments "For Indie Authors it can be hard to get industry reviews as with Kirkus and I try to fill that gap."

Well, if you check the Kirkus website, you'll find that anyone with $US 495 can get a Kirkus review... although I'm not sure if this a good thing or not.

message 9: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Clement (JAClement) | 1328 comments Nice point about taglines, Julie - as an author I'm always on the look-out for quotable bits of review but it really does have to be a sentence or two, so it can be quite difficult to find!

Worth doing for the reviewer though as if we authors use it on Amazon, the reviewer's website search-ranking goes up several points!

JAC

message 8: by Anagha (new)

Anagha (anaavu) Great points, Julie!

message 7: by Julie (last edited Sep 16, 2011 07:30PM) (new)

Julie (JATaylor) | 33 comments I should note that I come at my reviews in an editorial style rather than as a reader-review. For Indie Authors it can be hard to get industry reviews as with Kirkus and I try to fill that gap.

Except for the odd mental note about, say, a great use of imagery or noticing dialogue, I try to ignore that I will review the novel until I've finished the whole experience.

At the end of the book, the first question I ask myself is: did it achieve what it was supposed to? That is, was it trying to be a great romance? A light, jovial read? An edgy adventure? A well-written novel that hits its mark will get a better review than a well-written novel that lacks the story it promises. That's probably the hardest to explain because even if its a light book that isn't to my taste and maybe only rates a 2 or 3 for my personal preference, as a reviewer it might earn 4 or 5 stars; I consider what the novel is trying for and review from that perspective. Kind of like evaluating sculpture by sculpture standards and watercolors as watercolors, even if I decorate my house in steampunk metalwork.

I try to comment on the author's writing style; how consistent he/she was delivering the story; character development; appeal; pacing and emotion. If there are any weaknesses, I try to be gentle mentioning them and then summarize with a tag line that the author can use in his/her promotional efforts or that gives the reader a feel for what they're getting in a quick sentence.

message 6: by Anagha (new)

Anagha (anaavu) I'm with BarkLessWagMore. Usually, I make notes on Post-its while I read. So first, I take those out, and read them and compare them to how I felt by the end. Then I copy down the important points from my notes and elaborate upon them. Then I add the introduction summary and voila!

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (Barb65) | 405 comments BarkLessWagMore wrote: "I usually don't think at all ;) I just start writing and whatever spews out gets tidied up and posted. If I think too much my mind shuts down."

I'm a little like this! :-) I usually do a short review of how I liked the story and whom I recommend it to, and post it wherever it should be posted, and then on my blog I sometimes add writerly thoughts, such as style or other things that struck me. So for a complete review I guess I should send the author to my blog! :-D
Did I mention I DO NOT review things that in my opinion do not deserve less than 3 stars - especially if they're from indie authors? I might rant about that awful book I read with tonz of typos, but won't say the name of the culprit...
That's why I don't post on Goodreads what I'm reading - just in case I don't like it and won't review it! ;-)

message 4: by Amy (new)

I think what comes to me first is how I felt after I put the book down, or shut my ereader off. That feeling usually tells me something. Was I ok with it being over or was I still waning more?

And if I was ok with it being over, was that because it has a very rich, satisfying ending, or was I just glad to be done with the book?

Was I still wanting more because I felt like there was something missing and I felt like it wasn't over, or was I wanting more because I needed to be on another adventure with the characters?

Bark's Book Nonsense (BarkLessWagMore) I usually don't think at all ;) I just start writing and whatever spews out gets tidied up and posted. If I think too much my mind shuts down.

message 2: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (Cambria409) | 3305 comments All of the above. i think about what i was thinking as i read the book or watched the movie. I think about the thing that made the biggest impression and the thing that made the worst impression.

message 1: by Amy (new)

When you sit down to think about your review that you are about to write, what do you think about first? Your overall feeling? The characters? How the book relates to something else?

unread topics | mark unread