Zombies! discussion

Movies and TV > World War Z Movie

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Brendan (new)

Brendan Howard (Wattsian) Deeply love the book. Movie looks like ca-ca.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 84 comments According to the zombie and horror blogs I follow, the producers changed the plot from the history of a zombie apocalypse (novel) to Brad Pitt running around trying to prevent a zombie apocalypse (movie). I'm afraid the movie is going to bite (pun intended).

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 78 comments Scott wrote: "According to the zombie and horror blogs I follow, the producers changed the plot from the history of a zombie apocalypse (novel) to Brad Pitt running around trying to prevent a zombie apocalypse (..."

That sucks. I always said the framework of the book didn't really work as a movie. I kinda saw parts of it more like a play with each chapter being a vignette.

message 5: by Jaz (new)

Jaz | 56 comments Rachel wrote: "That sucks. I always said the framework of the book didn't really work as a movie. I kinda saw parts of it more like a play with each chapter being a vignette."

Or at least a TV or cable series.

message 6: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (QueenofEgypt) | 33 comments I agree, I didn't think the book as written lended itself to a movie, but it provides a framework for many different plot lines. I think they chose one option. Guess we won't know until it gets released.

message 7: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (Stevec50) | 137 comments When I first heard that there was going to be a film made I had a bad feeling that they would use little but the title and the concept of zombies. I agree with everyone else that a truer adaptation would have to be a television series. Sadly, Hollywood doesn't think in those terms. It looks to be little more than just another zombie movie, although those can be fun as we all know.

message 8: by Jaz (new)

Jaz | 56 comments I was at a panel for Max Brooks, during the Emerald City Comicon in Seattle this past March, and he basically stated that he's not worried about his book being marred by any film adapatation, because he's already written his book. He also mentioned something along the lines of it'll be a good zombie, without really tying it to his work. Nice guy though, fun panel.

message 9: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (Stevec50) | 137 comments Interesting to hear Brooks' perspective on the film. It reminds me of the time I was at a convention and David Morrel talked about changes to his book. If you haven't read it Rambo's fate is different from that in the Stallone film.

message 10: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (Stevec50) | 137 comments Speaking of Brooks, I was watching an episode of Animal Planets "LOST TAPES" which dealt with zombies in New Orleans. Brooks, naturally, was interviewed as the zombie 'expert' in segments throughout the program.

Btw, while I'm a total sceptic when it comes to the supernatural and such things, I absolutely love both LOST TAPES and the other AP show, FREAK ENCOUNTERS.

message 11: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Murphey (JLMurphey) | 21 comments The major problem with making movies out of novels is they are never true to the novel. For one, it is very difficult to fit a full novel into a 120-page script. (1 page for 1 minute of movie time). For two, everyone wants their finger in the pie from director, producer, scriptwriters, etc. I can only think of a handful of novels made into movies which were good.

When writing the novel, it's the author and the characters. I can see where Max Brooks just let's the movie go without worrying about it. The fact it was optioned AND made into a movie only brings readers back to the book because savvy readers know the book is better.

Just my two cents.

message 12: by Flint (new)

Flint | 16 comments Sometimes being true to the novel isn't such a good thing. This film would have been one such example if they had been faithful to the book, which was quite crappy imo.

message 13: by Jaz (new)

Jaz | 56 comments J.L. wrote: "I can see where Max Brooks just let's the movie go without worrying about it. The fact it was optioned AND made into a movie only brings readers back to the book because savvy readers know the book is better."

This is exactly one of the points Max Brooks made about the movie compared to the book.

message 14: by Jaz (new)

Jaz | 56 comments Steve wrote: "Speaking of Brooks, I was watching an episode of Animal Planets "LOST TAPES" which dealt with zombies in New Orleans. Brooks, naturally, was interviewed as the zombie 'expert' in segments througho..."

I've seen LOST TAPES, but hadn't heard of FREAK ENCOUNTERS until now. Thanks!

message 15: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (Stevec50) | 137 comments Just so you know, Freak Encounters is basically "Punk'd" with monsters. Each episode somebody is set up by a friend or family member to be tricked into thinking they are under attack by some kind of creature. Everybody is in on the joke but them.

Some of the episodes make you wonder how bright these folks are, while others are really well done and you can understand how somebody could be taken in.

message 16: by Smithy (new)

Smithy | 7 comments I was lucky enough to witness some of the filming of World War Z while I was in Glasgow a few weeks ago and I have to say it looked really really great and thats why I've started reading World War Z.

If anyone of you want to see some of the photos I took ive posted a link to my album on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?se...

message 17: by Sara (new)

Sara (bluesarat) | 461 comments Thanks for the link to your photos they are brilliant !!

message 18: by Lady Book Voodoo (new)

Lady Book Voodoo & Hoodoo Review (LadyVoodoo) | 4 comments Oh cool beans its coming out in the movies ?

message 19: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (Stevec50) | 137 comments Just know, Robin, that they are making changes in the adaptation, so don't expect to see the novel up on the screen. It may look and be good, but it's not the World War Z that so many of us love.

message 20: by Lady Book Voodoo (new)

Lady Book Voodoo & Hoodoo Review (LadyVoodoo) | 4 comments Gotcha !

unread topics | mark unread