The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7) The Dark Tower discussion

Quality

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

It should never be made into a film or a television series. It's far too large and the books' fractured vision would be compromised. It would end up looking cheap and flimsy and the viewers would shun it. Also, the adaptation would need to make SERIOUS cuts, including most of Wastelands and Wizard and Glass. Fans would reject these cuts because it's messing with the original vision, but that needs to happen. Film is a different medium than books.

retroj I thought the plan to make a Gunslinger movie was scrapped.

Iuliana I agree, wasn't the project abandoned? Perhaps it's for the better, maybe in the future, a more risk-taking tv network can turn it into a series and not lose the heart of the story. I don't think it's movie material, for a film studio to commit to 7 or more movies they need to know it can cash in at the box-office which it won't do without serious cuts or gloss-over.

Iuliana I refuse to see Javier Bardem as Roland, I couldn't stand to hear him with an accent and from what I've seen, he can't drop it...

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

The only actor who should play the Gunslinger is obviously Clint Eastwood at age 35, which is who Roland is based on.

Richard there are a few who could carry it off well enough but i don't know if there is enough "story" to make the proposed 3 movies and 2 series. the books are seriously patchy - for every grand moment (the monorail) there are shocking dips in pacing (wizard and glass) - and really (SPOILERS) how do you film young and old stephen king for the last 2 books? on film that would come across as even more an ego trip then it did in the books

message 8: by Molly (new)

Molly I think it could be made into a good short series on HBO, but other than that i don't see it translating to any screen well. I have no idea how they'll make a movie out of it. I see that going about as well as Avatar: the Last Airbender's transition to the silver screen went.

Jediraven Matthew wrote: "The only actor who should play the Gunslinger is obviously Clint Eastwood at age 35, which is who Roland is based on."

AGREED.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I just realized that my statement is grammatically incorrect. Obviously, the only actor who could play the Gunslinger is Clint Eastwood at age 35, upon whom Roland is based. There we go. Whew

message 11: by retroj (last edited Dec 04, 2011 08:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

retroj Matthew wrote: "Obviously, the only actor who could play the Gunslinger is Clint Eastwood at age 35, upon whom Roland is based."

I feel that Roland was only inspired by Clint Eastwood. The Roland in my imagination is not 'Blondie' from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, only a cosmetically similar character. That said, Javier Bardem looks a bit too well nourished to match the image I have of Roland. Then again, maybe Bardem's portrayal will shine in other ways.

message 12: by Lez (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lez I would love for this to be made into a few films or a long tv show as long as they didn't f!ck it up. Possibly the best story i've ever read, very hard to translate to screen though, i think. Have tried to explain the story to friends but it is very difficult (none of my friends read novels) and it is very frustrating having read this masterpiece but then not knowing anybody to discuss it with.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dark Tower (other topics)