Exceptional Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Popular - Mainstream works

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 314 comments Mod
In an attempt to separate serious works of literature from popular mainstream works, I've created two sections: David's Section that will encompass serious works of literature and Colleen's section that will encompass more popular mainstream works.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilymp) | 15 comments Is it possible to add a new topic? I'd love to see a section for Graphic Novels/Illustrated books.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 136 comments Mod
I'll add one Emily!

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnneTanne) | 5 comments I noticed that there are several members in this group for whom English is not their primary language.
Nevertheless, we foreigners often have a rather adequate view of English literature. Many of us read English books, and many English best-sellers are translated in our native language. (Finally, we don't have so many authors writing in our language.)

But for native English speakers, the amount of books originally written in their language is already huge, so I have the impression that for those readers, the non-English literature is still rather unknown.
So, maybe it would be possible to have a thread for 'exceptional' non-English books, that are translated in English?

message 5: by Colleen (new)

Ann wrote: "I noticed that there are several members in this group for whom English is not their primary language.
Nevertheless, we foreigners often have a rather adequate view of English literature. Many of ..."

Ann, this is a great idea. Would you be willing to be in control of this genre when we create the thread?

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnneTanne) | 5 comments Of course I would like to do that!

message 7: by Colleen (new)

Ann wrote: "Of course I would like to do that!"

Ok Ann, I can make you a moderator and set up a section for you. I'll call it Ann's section and under it there will be a folder called "English translations of foreign works" or I can call it something else. What would you like the title of the folder to be?

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnneTanne) | 5 comments @Colleen: Something like 'Reading across frontiers'? ;-)

message 9: by Colleen (new)

Ann wrote: "@Colleen: Something like 'Reading across frontiers'? ;-)"

Thanks Anne, I'll check it out.

message 10: by Joe (new)

Joe (Seppy) | 15 comments I'm finding it DAMN hard to find anything I can put on the book shelf thats not there already!

message 11: by Colleen (new)

Joe wrote: "I'm finding it DAMN hard to find anything I can put on the book shelf thats not there already!"

LOL, you better step up your reading quota...we want to see something on the shelf by end of the week!

message 12: by Joe (new)

Joe (Seppy) | 15 comments LOL, you better step up your reading quota...we want to see something on the shelf by en..."

Ok, Ok. I'll call work and tell them I'm unavailable for a few days! lol

message 13: by Colleen (new)

Joe wrote: "LOL, you better step up your reading quota...we want to see something on the shelf by en..."

Ok, Ok. I'll call work and tell them I'm unavailable for a few days! lol"

That's better!!

Now, to the rest of the goodreads community, I'd like to applaud Joe for his devotion to Goodreads and in particular this group! It's upstanding members like him that make this an exceptional group :-)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread