Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Introductions > Hello and What Are You Reading?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 74) (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Todd (new)

Todd Tystad (ToddRTystad) Hey, my name is Todd and I think this is the best group on GoodReads. I'm curious to know what everybody else is reading - I'm always looking for suggestions.

I write books and have a background in education and early literacy. I'm always trying to figure out how to get young people to do more reading - especially boys and young men.

So let's discuss books and how to get more people reading.

Have a great GoodReads day!

message 2: by Brianne (new)

Brianne I am currently reading American Gods and Matched :). And this is the best group!

message 3: by Rita (new)

Rita Webb (ritawebb) | 183 comments Welcome to the group. This is certainly one of the best reading groups I know.

I'm currently reading Going Bovine by Libba Bray. It starts off slow, and if you can get past the drug use (that always bothers me in books) and the protagonist's apathy and attitude, you'll discover a really awesome adventure.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1931 comments I'm reading Sleepless by Cyn Balog. It was recommended awhile back and I'm just now getting to it. Really enjoying it.

message 5: by Cristen (new)

Cristen | 135 comments Just started Stolen: A letter to my captor by Lucy Christopher

message 6: by Eden (new)

Eden (Tsalagi_Writer) | 265 comments Hi Todd. Welcome to the group. I'm currently reading Tears of a Vampire Prince: the First Krystine by Christine E. Schulze.

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samjaymc) | 200 comments Hello Todd! Welcome!
Currently, I am reading Divergent (Divergent #1) by Veronica Roth by Veronica Roth

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) Cristen wrote: "Just started Stolen: A letter to my captor by Lucy Christopher"

Man, that is one of my favorite books. The audio version is excellent.

message 9: by Cristen (new)

Cristen | 135 comments AngelaSunshine wrote: "Cristen wrote: "Just started Stolen: A letter to my captor by Lucy Christopher"

Man, that is one of my favorite books. The audio version is excellent."

It was good Angela, there were parts that were difficult to get through (mostly because I'm a tad on the squeamish side) - but definitely worth reading.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1931 comments I just started The Passage. Hoping to actually make it through all eight hundred pages!

message 11: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) I'm finishing up Trial by Fire, which isn't as good as I'd hoped it would be.

I've also just started Forgotten, and the description sounds promising. I'm hoping it delivers. I am doing the audio version and am a little lost 20 minutes in. I think I need to start it over to see if there's something I missed!

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather McCorkle (HeatherMcCorkle) I'm finally getting around to reading Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy) and am enjoying it so far. It's my guilty pleasure series that I get to read when I don't have anything I have read.

message 13: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 2 comments I've sneaked outside YA to read 'One Day' and i'm loving it. Oh no!

Krista, Ambassador of Shimmy (FindYourShimmy) | 14 comments In the YA category, I'm listening to A Great and Terrible Beautywhich I should finish tomorrow during my holiday travels. I'm then going to start book two in the series, Rebel Angels, also in audio.

For non-YA, I'm slowing creeping my way through Nightmares and Dreamscapes and will soon being The Annotated Peter Pan (The Centennial Edition).

message 15: by M.R. (new)

M.R. (LisG) Right now, I'm reading the first in the "Jack Daniels" mystery series by J.A. Konrath, not a YA selection.

But I recently finished "The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer," which was ... interesting. There are plenty of creepy moments and a paranormal twist. Lots of romance. The jury is still out but it was good enough for me to plan on reading the second in the series.

message 16: by Christen (new)

Christen | 10 comments I am reading Lauren by Julia Crane Lauren by Julia Crane. I have been a fan of hers since I started reading Coexist. So far, this book had been fun. :)

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1931 comments Right now i'm reading A Discovery of Witches

message 18: by Angela Sunshine (last edited Jan 23, 2013 12:15PM) (new)

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) I have too many books going right now!!

I'm listening to Shine and reading Tantalize, Blood Feud and Bitterblue.

message 19: by Inga (new)

Inga (DominoWinter) | 11 comments I'm reading Metro 2033, it's spooky and exciting.

message 20: by Michele (new)

Michele | 19 comments Just re-read one of my favs: Finnikin of the Rock. About to start the next book in the series, Froi of the Exiles.

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1931 comments I started A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness but finding it really hard to get into. I'm barely through the first chapter.

TheFountainPenDiva Hi, I'm The Fountain Pen Diva and found this group by happy accident. I'm always interested in finding great YA books and sharing my recs. I noticed there was an entire section for Multicultural YA and added a whole slew of titles that I don't think many of you are aware of. I'd love to add them to the bookshelves as well. Speaking of which, I've been reading these and they're all amazing:

Fading Amber (The Cambion Chronicles, #3) by Jaime Reed Dead Gorgeous by Malorie Blackman. Like I tell people, there's so much more to multicultural YA than just societal issues. Teens of color want to save the world and have awesome adventures too, lol.

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1931 comments Sisterhood Everlasting (Sisterhood, #5) by Ann Brashares is what i'm reading now. i'm not liking it.

message 24: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1 comments New to the GR group thing, but I am a fan of YA lit so I picked this one!

I am currently reading To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis. Not really YA I guess, but so far it is pretty funny.

message 25: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (AngelaSunshine) Lindsay wrote: "New to the GR group thing, but I am a fan of YA lit so I picked this one!

I am currently reading To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis. Not really YA I guess, but so far it is pretty funny."

Glad you joined us Lindsay!

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1931 comments I'm reading The Arcade Catastrophe. It's okay but slow going.

message 27: by Christen (new)

Christen | 10 comments I am reading Freak of Nature (IFICS, #1) by Julia Crane by Julia Crane. So far, it is going well and had me glued in my seat. :)

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura (Azdove) | 1 comments Hi. My name is Laura and right now I am reading Fragments by Dan Wells.

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1931 comments I'm reading Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2) by Tahereh Mafi

message 30: by NebraskaIcebergs (new)

NebraskaIcebergs | 45 comments Hi! I'm a resource teacher and a writer. Currently, I'm reading books in the growing nonfiction line of books by teens from Zest Books. If you haven't yet read Regine's Book, grab a box of tissues and then check out this true story of a Norwegian girl's fight with cancer.

message 31: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1931 comments I'm reading Torn (Trylle Trilogy, #2) by Amanda Hocking

message 32: by Christen (new)

Christen | 10 comments I am reading Consumed (Keegan's Chronicles, #3) by Julia Crane by Julia Crane.

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1931 comments I'm trying to get through Arclight (Arclight, #1) by Josin L. McQuein

message 34: by Christen (new)

Christen | 10 comments Reading Rourk (Keegan's Chronicles, #3.5) by Julia Crane by Julia Crane.

message 35: by Chris (new)

Chris Struyk-Bonn (wwwstruykbonn_goodreadscom) | 3 comments I am currently reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (because I want to read it again before the movie comes out) and I just finished The Princess Bride. Okay, I'm not positive that The Princess Bride is YA, but I read it with a bunch of teens (a school book club) and they LOVED it. If you've never picked up this book, it is fascinating - a really bizarre mix of fiction and non that leaves you guessing.

message 36: by Kitty (new)

Kitty Womack (literaturemisfit) | 1 comments I am excited about this group because it will get me back into reading YA (especially since I have a hard time backing out from a challenge). I am an avid reader but lately I have been reading a lot of "adult" fantasy. When I try to get back into YA, I have no idea where to start so I am happy to have joined such an encouraging group.

Currently, I am reading A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin but I am excited to see what we will be reading for July 2014.

Hard copy books forever!

<3

message 37: by Anahi (new)

Anahi Salinas | 3 comments I'm currently reading embrace by Jessica shirvington

message 38: by Penny (new)

Penny | 2 comments I just finished Drowned by Nichola Reilly. Such a fantastic read. Highly recommend it. I was lucky enough to get a early copy. It comes out June 24th.

message 39: by Megan (new)

Megan Handley (meganhandley) | 3 comments I just finished Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire, i am currently reading Rapture by Lauren Kate and next on my list is The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky :)

message 40: by Anahi (new)

Anahi Salinas | 3 comments currently I am reading embrace by Jessica shirvington amazing read recommended it !!!1

message 41: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Givens | 4 comments Completed The Wrap-Up List by Steven Arntson last night. Short enough for a one-day summer read, it is a modern YA fantasy that is funny, a bit sad, and thought-provoking. No vampires or zombies, but it does have an intriguing manifestation of Death.

message 42: by Jo (new)

Jo Carter | 3 comments I loved Walking Disaster :) and The Perks of Being a Wallflower and a fantastic read :)
I'm reading Factotum by D.M. Cornish and also Wings Above Billabong by Mary Grant Bruce because Factotum is too big to fit in my bag to read in my work break :)

message 43: by Mechila (new)

Mechila | 1 comments I am currently reading thumped by Megan McCafferty. It's the second book to bumped. It's a very interesting dystopian novel. Confusing a little because of the new vocabulary, but it's very interesting and a good read.

message 44: by Judy (new)

Judy | 8 comments I just finished City of Heavenly Fire from the Mortal Instrument series and am getting ready to start Diana Gabaldon's Written in my Own Heart's Blood (not YA and very long, so may keep me busy awhile). I do have my 3 granddaughters reading City of Bones, Clockwork Angel, and Harry Potter Book 2, respectively and we are having great book discussions.

message 45: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Beussink I'm currently reading The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu.

message 46: by Caia (new)

Caia In Neverland (caiasuicide) | 2 comments I'm reading The Ocean at the End of the Lane, by Neil Gaiman and I just finished the Delirium Trilogy and the Night Angel series.

message 47: by Anahi (new)

Anahi Salinas | 3 comments I am reading embrace by Jessica shrvington

message 48: by Mary B (new)

Mary B (Irishgirly) | 3 comments 2 pages into Tease. I already hate the main character. Strong emotions for so early in the book. I think it will am intense read.

message 49: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Beussink @Mary B Who is the author of Tease?

message 50: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Beussink I recently read Uglies, Pretties, and Specials. Has anyone read the 4th book Extras by Scott Westerfield?

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Going Bovine (other topics)
Sleepless (other topics)
Stolen: A Letter to My Captor (other topics)
Tears of a Vampire Prince (other topics)
Divergent (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Christine E. Schulze (other topics)
Veronica Roth (other topics)
Jamie McGuire (other topics)
Lauren Kate (other topics)
Stephen Chbosky (other topics)
More...